• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I love Whitmer. She's a fantastic governor and I'm so glad she's in charge of this state. She really is doing a great job in Michigan.

She isn't a good public speaker, but that's probably her only weakness.

Don't you dare take her away.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Gov. Whitmer is popular in Michigan and I don't think Biden is at risk to lose the state but we don't want to flip more governor seats. Can we just keep her around for two terms and then she can move up? I feel like taking a VP spot midterm would feel like we're getting abandoned in a crisis. I say publicly turn down the VP offer to serve your state and leverage that for a second term as governor then leverage your experience as governor for President, VP or whatever.

I love this pick just for the fact of how triggered anti-maskers are. She was deemed the devil very early on for the strict measures she enacted in Michigan.

She came down hard when she needed to and didn't back down. The rural folks don't believe in anything until it affects them personally so now that the virus is creeping into rural areas they will either die or quietly change their tune. Either way it kind of feels like she got us through the worst of it at this time, judging by graph. I would like to see more enforcement of mask orders but you'd have to get local sheriffs on board....God help us.

Edit: Lot of Michiganders in here! Nice to see.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
If, after all this, Biden doesn't pick a Black woman?

Well, hope his campaign is ready for the cleanup.

But nobody ever said they would pick a minority VP. That was the Supreme Court (Biden said he had a list of black women he has ready for the first open SC seat).
The guy that had peaceful protestors attacked and held a Bible upside down is saying Bidens against God?

I'd be willing to bet Biden knows more about the Bible and has been to church more than Trump has in any timeframe of his existence.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
LOL at Trump flailing there, desperately flailing. "He's against God, against guns, against energy!" Buffon frantically throwing crap at every wall, desperately hoping any of it sticks.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

Biden dropping some Bible quotes during the debate is so friggin' predictable, and while I'm sure Trump will have some drilled into his thick skull ready to deploy, he's utterly incapable of selling it or maintaining the ruse for any amount of time.

Not that I admire the wielding of faith as a political asset. I've been hoping for an atheist president for years, and...uh, yeah, that didn't exactly work out the way I expected.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
Another poll has the South Carolina senate race tied. Trump is up five so presumably most undecided voters are for him.

Also McConnell only up five on McGrath.

poll.qu.edu

QU Poll Release Detail

Kentucky, South Carolina, And Maine Senate Races Are All Close, Quinnipiac University Poll Finds; 2020 Presidential Race: Trump Up In KY, SC, Trails In ME

Edit: Pulling away a popular governor from Michigan would be insane. Whitmer can do far more for the party and state there than in the VP role.

I want Whitmer to be President. I don't want Harris or Warren to be president. I don't care about what she can "do for the party". I want good leaders

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
If, after all this, Biden doesn't pick a Black woman?

Well, hope his campaign is ready for the cleanup.

Just pick Harris, I don't know why it's even a contest. She's wicked smart, can intimidate the hell out of weak Republican men, she's qualified, and her leaving the Senate won't have any impact. She's the best choice, just pick her and move on to the convention and the general election.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Just pick Harris, I don't know why it's even a contest. She's wicked smart, can intimidate the hell out of weak Republican men, she's qualified, and her leaving the Senate won't have any impact. She's the best choice, just pick her and move on to the convention and the general election.

Yeah I agree

They need to scoop Harris and get on with it

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Biden dropping some Bible quotes during the debate is so friggin' predictable, and while I'm sure Trump will have some drilled into his thick skull ready to deploy, he's utterly incapable of selling it or maintaining the ruse for any amount of time.

Not that I admire the wielding of faith as a political asset. I've been hoping for an atheist president for years, and...uh, yeah, that didn't exactly work out the way I expected.
Yeah, I was about to say, be careful what you wish for.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Trump realizes pro-life also means being against the death penalty.

If any of the GOP were actually serious about their professed faith they wouldn't be Republicans. The core of Christian ideology is pretty much pacifism and forgiveness to the point of completely disregarding your own earthly safety or possessions.

You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth." ³⁹But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. ⁴⁰And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. ⁴¹And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. ⁴²Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.

Somehow the message got a little twisted after two thousand years.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Joe Biden: Doddering old fool who is too incompetent to lead the country.
Also Joe Biden: Going to fuck God's shit up.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
But nobody ever said they would pick a minority VP. That was the Supreme Court (Biden said he had a list of black women he has ready for the first open SC seat).

Biden got the ball rolling on this speculation last year when he dangled the possibility of an Abrams pick when his campaign was flailing. When he changed his answer in a debate to, "I promise to pick a woman VP, and a Black woman for SCOTUS" it was seen as a backtrack even then, which prompted a lot of Black organizations to come out and endorse a Black woman as the choice.

Then there are these last two weeks, where his campaign shamefully let any Black woman whose name dared be mention get ripped apart in the press while every white candidate got glowing puff pieces. Add insult to injury when the only response to this blatant misogynoir was a campaign video about Biden and a car and some fundraising emails. I'm Team Kamala, but let's be clear: the treatment Bass is getting is shameful. Black people are watching.

And there's the fact that Biden can't seem to open his mouth without inserting a shoe into it whenever he comments on Black folks. This was just today:

I've had a lot of excuses for Biden in the past, but I'm plum out for this one.

Biden picking a white VP at this point is just a huge unforced error.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the idea of pulling Whitmer out of Michigan in the middle of a pandemic that she is personally managing for that state. I don't think it plays well politically and I especially don't think it does Michigan residents any favors. Besides, we just won that seat!

Let Whitmer serve two terms and then run for Stabenow's seat when she retires.

edit: also, I could've sworn Whitmer took herself out of the running a long time ago?

Oct 27, 2017
Hello from Detroit. Whitmer is one of many great picks and I'd be happy with Garlin as our governor. If this is what Biden does, it'll be easy to continue supporting the ticket. And if not, it will...still be easy to support the ticket.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
If any of the GOP were actually serious about their professed faith they wouldn't be Republicans. The core of Christian ideology is pretty much pacifism and forgiveness to the point of completely disregarding your own earthly safety or possessions.
There's also this passage about the early Christians:

"And the congregation of those who believed were of one heart and soul; and not one of them claimed that anything belonging to him was his own, but all things were common property to them. And with great power the apostles were giving testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and abundant grace was upon them all. For there was not a needy person among them, for all who were owners of land or houses would sell them and bring the proceeds of the sales and lay them at the apostles' feet, and they would be distributed to each as any had need."

-- Acts 4, 32-35

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Whitmer would probably be the best 'leader' out of any of his contenders, and if he is truly going for only 1 term, the VP slot maybe is also being looked at as a potential replacement. So I'd be totally okay with her.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I really like Whitmer, but it should be Harris.

Whitmer can run for Pres at a later date.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I don't like the idea of pulling Whitmer out of Michigan in the middle of a pandemic that she is personally managing for that state. I don't think it plays well politically and I especially don't think it does Michigan residents any favors. Besides, we just won that seat!

Let Whitmer serve two terms and then run for Stabenow's seat when she retires.

Yup. Whitmer as VP is super dumb and hurts her more than it helps her.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
There's also this passage about the early Christians:

"And the congregation of those who believed were of one heart and soul; and not one of them claimed that anything belonging to him was his own, but all things were common property to them. And with great power the apostles were giving testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and abundant grace was upon them all. For there was not a needy person among them, for all who were owners of land or houses would sell them and bring the proceeds of the sales and lay them at the apostles' feet, and they would be distributed to each as any had need."

-- Acts 4, 32-35
Jesus also explicitly argued for paying taxes with "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's." Republicans don't care at all about who Jesus was/is.

As for Trump's comment about hurting God, he thinks of himself as God, so that adds up.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biden got the ball rolling on this speculation last year when he dangled the possibility of an Abrams pick when his campaign was flailing. When he changed his answer in a debate to, "I promise to pick a woman VP, and a Black woman for SCOTUS" it was seen as a backtrack even then, which prompted a lot of Black organizations to come out and endorse a Black woman as the choice.

Then there are these last two weeks, where his campaign shamefully let any Black woman whose name dared be mention get ripped apart in the press while every white candidate got glowing puff pieces. Add insult to injury when the only response to this blatant misogynoir was a campaign video about Biden and a car and some fundraising emails. I'm Team Kamala, but let's be clear: the treatment Bass is getting is shameful. Black people are watching.

And there's the fact that Biden can't seem to open his mouth without inserting a shoe into it whenever he comments on Black folks. This was just today:

His Black support (actually his minority support all around, IIRC) is somewhat lower than Hillary's was, and his big lead over Trump stems from white voters swinging back to him. When you say his campaign would have to deal with the mess that would result if he picked, say, Whitmer or Duckworth, do you mean you think it would decrease how many Black voters would vote for him, or more that it would cause political problems for him down the line?

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
His Black support (actually his minority support all around, IIRC) is somewhat lower than Hillary's was, and his big lead over Trump stems from white voters swinging back to him. When you say his campaign would have to deal with the mess that would result if he picked, say, Whitmer or Duckworth, do you mean you think it would decrease how many Black voters would vote for him, or more that it would cause political problems for him down the line?

Well, it certainly wouldn't help get that number up, I can tell you that much.

Besides, as has often been pointed out, Black voters are more than just their vote. Black voters, Black women in particular, are the work force of the Democratic party. Who show up faithfully time after time, to not just vote, but to advocate. To work. Biden's candidacy specifically would have been a footnote if it weren't for them.

Choosing a white VP after months of dangling the possibility of a Black VP, and after weeks of watching qualified Black women get savaged in the press? His campaign would definitely have some cleaning up to do.

Also doesn't make sense when Kamala Harris has a clear lead in minority support with Black and Hispanic voters.

Yeah, Biden has a clear lead. But this is about a mandate. This is about the Senate. Biden needs all wings of the base all-in. Even with the clear lead he has, it should be concerning that he's not hitting Hillary's numbers with minorities.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

Woof. Lord help us. This man really needs to work on his wording when it comes to racial conversations.

The inevitable OT thread will be fun.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Woof. Lord help us. This man really needs to work on his wording when it comes to racial conversations.

The inevitable OT thread will be fun.
I was offended when I heard that. And until now I've been able to easily brush aside Biden's clumsy wording whenever it comes to Black voters.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I wonder if Trump realizes pro-life also means being against the death penalty.

There are plenty of staunch conservatives who call themselves pro-life who also advocate the death penalty, reject anti-Covid19 measures and are against environmental regulations to avoid Flint-like situations that endangers mothers and fetusses alike.

It's just a clever framing device because if you're "pro life" than that would make the opposition "against life". It's marketting trick to define one's opposition, rather than tout one's own values about protecting life in general.

Pro-life in the context of American politics means "against abortion" and that's really all it means. No more, no less.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
DeWine testing positive for corona before meeting Trump then having to dip out of the meeting too. Today is full of headlines.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
If the all powerful Biden can hurt God, Trumpo doesn't stand a chance.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
That's what Canada gets for trying to stop our boating tourists. Boats = America!

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
every single Vice President in history has been an old white man (I guess Quayle and Gore were only in their early 40s)
not sure why that never really hit me, but no matter who he picks it's going to be really refreshing seeing a woman bring something completely new to the role

Status
Not open for further replies.