• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's warranted to be worried about the efficacy of Biden's ground game (to the extent we can even have much of a ground game right now) while at the same time remembering Biden had probably the worst ground game of anyone in the primaries and won pretty decisively.

Walk It Back, on Sleep Well Beast

That would be Good Ol' Gabbard.

Boy, am I glad Clinton suicide bombed that woman's career.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
My point is exactly your second question. People saying Biden should pick Harris and is likely to pick Harris does not necessarily indicate that they like Harris. The messaging from day one has been that she was the probably nominee, and I suspect that is why her "likely pick" number is about 7 points ahead of her "should pick" number. An interesting tidbit from that poll though is that a majority of black voters think picking a black woman is important, which is more than we've seen in past similar polls.

A funny thing is Kamala also led in likability with lower name recognition in a poll from a few months ago (wish I could find it). Warren's likability took a dip.

But I don't really like using likability polling with regard to women candidates, because there's so many biases baked into who voters are willing to say they "like" versus who'll they'll mobilize for.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
They never understand that you can't reset Trump. Trump is Trump and no matter how much you try to act differently, as long as he presses his tiny fat fingers against his phone's screen to Tweet, he will be hated.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
South Philly!

Not really activist central down here, but I'm regularly in CC and North Philly too.

Maybe we've spoken! lol
I'm in the edge of West Philly near UPenn, Drexel, and USciences. Yuppie town with a growing Millennial population. I've done some work for Tom Wolf's campaign back in 2018, along with some grassroots stuff for parks and rec.

Regardless of who wins in November, it's pretty clear that something is going to be done to the big tech companies in Silicon Valley, specifically the social media giants. It's been too much of a Wild West for too long now.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I saw a CNN segment about Obama-Trump voters in key battleground states favoring Trump in a months long focus group on CNN earlier. 2/3 of those voters favor Trump and the question is how does that correspond with Biden leading in polls. It had Rachel Bitecofer on it to respond to the results of the focus group which is why I watched. She gave a much more detailed explanation in the thread below.

CNN segment in question:
www.cnn.com

Swing voter focus groups reveal preference for Trump - CNN Video

Polls show Biden ahead even in swing states. But focus groups of swing voters show they're sticking with Trump. What does this mean for the election?

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
They never understand that you can't reset Trump. Trump is Trump and no matter how much you try to act differently, as long as he presses his tiny fat fingers against his phone's screen to Tweet, he will be hated.

xBmbOcq.gif

Every day they must be saying this lmao.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Trump tweeting about he agrees that the wealth disparity between regular folks and billionaires is an issue and something must be done 👀

As I found out at work today people will fall for this.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I have to say, yesterday I had written Bass off because of that Scientology video, but today it feels like that was a ... meh thing now. Especially with her statement.

It's clear Bass' name was leaked a lot more in recent days in order for the media and even Republicans to help with the vetting a bit. So that's, good. I think?

But Duckworth and Harris are still my preferred one. I would love Warren, but I have to admit she's not the best, electorally. She would help with younger voters, of all races, but I don't think with anyone else.

Oct 28, 2017
He should have been doing that shit from the beginning if he wanted to win. That's a large part of how he won 2016, by throwing out vague platitudes left and right that he didn't understand or care about resolving.

infamous5445

Dec 3, 2019
I saw a CNN segment about Obama-Trump voters in key battleground states favoring Trump in a months long focus group on CNN earlier. 2/3 of those voters favor Trump and the question is how does that correspond with Biden leading in polls. It had Rachel Bitecofer on it to respond to the results of the focus group which is why I watched. She gave a much more detailed explanation in the thread below.

CNN segment in question:
www.cnn.com

Swing voter focus groups reveal preference for Trump - CNN Video

Polls show Biden ahead even in swing states. But focus groups of swing voters show they're sticking with Trump. What does this mean for the election?

For reference:

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
I have to say, yesterday I had written Bass off because of that Scientology video, but today it feels like that was a ... meh thing now. Especially with her statement.

It's clear Bass' name was leaked a lot more in recent days in order for the media and even Republicans to help with the vetting a bit. So that's, good. I think?

But Duckworth and Harris are still my preferred one. I would love Warren, but I have to admit she's not the best, electorally. She would help with younger voters, of all races, but I don't think with anyone else.

I don't think there's any way Biden's team didn't know about the Scientology comments, and a bunch of other things about the contenders. He seems to be taking the vetting process seriously, if nothing else.

I personally don't like the pretty naked reason some specific people want Bass so badly. A particular cross section of folks on the far left and the donor class.

They view her has more "docile" - i.e. weak. And Bass herself has said before any of this that she has no aspirations for running for President. People are looking for someone they could easily run against in the rumored likelihood that Biden only does one term.

As a Californian with great respect for Bass and her politics (even if I do think her resume is a little green), I don't like that at all.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
haha

I can't believe we're still doing that thing where we dress up hardline Trump supporters as conflicted swing voters.

Talk about a 2017 throwback.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They assume Biden will pick a Black woman and they don't like Harris so they are using another more "acceptable" Black woman against her as a cudgel, is my assumption.
Yes, and the problem is the language and attacks they are using are either very sexist, racist or both.

If their complaint against Harris were "I'm not sure she's ready" it wouldn't be problematic in that way. Instead it's "she's to ambitious". ("Which means a woman is trying to do anything above her station boo").

Really, just fucking pick Harris already Biden Jesus. What are you waiting for?

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Yes, and the problem is the language and attacks they are using are either very sexist, racist or both.

If their complaint against Harris were "I'm not sure she's ready" it wouldn't be problematic in that way. Instead it's "she's to ambitious". ("Which means a woman is trying to do anything above her station boo").
Yep.

And they're settling for "blatant misogynoir" because the only more ridiculous argument you could make is that someone with Kamala Harris' resume isn't ready.

Biden may not choose Harris in the end, but one thing is clear: most men who have run for the Presidency don't have Kamala's resume.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain

Really, just fucking pick Harris already Biden Jesus. What are you waiting for?

I mean we are on exactly the same page here.

I am also still hopeful Biden is not listening to these morons and I would like a public rebuke but the latter is probably not happening. It's problematic Dodd is still employed (anywhere).

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep.

And they're settling for "blatant misogynoir" because the only more ridiculous argument you could make is that someone with Kamala Harris' resume isn't ready.

Biden may not choose Harris in the end, but one thing is clear: most men who have run for the Presidency don't have Kamala's resume.
Let's put it this way, if a woman ran for President with Obama's resume they would be laughed off the stage.

Amy and Warren were right to bark about that much. (Not that Obama wasn't qualified, merely inexperienced) My only issue with Harris was that she couldn't seemingly pick a lane on how she wanted to conduct her campaign. She and warren had opposite problems Warren knew what she was mainly focused on and what the problems were but not what lane of policy she wanted to run in while Harris knew what policy lane she wanted to run but couldn't nail down her energy and how she wanted to run her campaign. She did great in digging into Biden but then...backed off? She waffled between an aggressive, neutral and passive campaign style and she never really settled into one or the other. I think that can be fixed with just some more time and experience. Warren just got unlucky; had Bernie not run she would have had the progressive land all to herself.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think there's any way Biden's team didn't know about the Scientology comments, and a bunch of other things about the contenders. He seems to be taking the vetting process seriously, if nothing else.

I personally don't like the pretty naked reason some specific people want Bass so badly. A particular cross section of folks on the far left and the donor class.

They view her has more "docile" - i.e. weak. And Bass herself has said before any of this that she has no aspirations for running for President. People are looking for someone they could easily run against in the rumored likelihood that Biden only does one term.

As a Californian with great respect for Bass and her politics (even if I do think her resume is a little green), I don't like that at all.

That's true; Bass' appeal is largely because she seems "unthreatening" and will just play the part of the "black woman as VP" without people worrying too much she's not ready, but also Democrats don't have to worry about the 2024 primaries at the moment. Which is a mistake of course, since people are going to think about 2024, no matter who Biden picks because he's freaking 77 years old.

There's not going to be a perfect VP pick and I think Biden's own strengths as the moderate force in the ticket is enough to compensate for any of the VP's flaws that might arise.

Last edited:

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost certain there are people in Biden's camp who are afraid of running with a black woman. They're campaigning scared so to speak. Who knows what Biden actually thinks.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ACLU Documentary "The Fight" came out today. 100% on Rotten Tomatoes so far

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017

What an awkward interview. Either CNN is really reaching to smash together a comeback narrative OR they don't know how to create a segment around data that isn't candidate X is ahead.

Anyway, only taking the authors at their word, my read is that those 2 data models are measuring different things and the focus group is pretty clearly not swing voters in the way we talk about folks who will are independent and potentially undecided. They are Obama > Trump voters, two thirds of which will stick with him.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why isn't the conclusion bad news for Trump that 1/3 of the folks in the focus group which broke for him in 2016 are now going Biden?

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Bill Hagerty @BillHagertyTN

Putnam County never disappoints! We love seeing you all out on the trail! #TeamHagerty #TNSen #GOTV

fEhPAqS.png

jRIE3P0.png

Yt2THRn.png

XWccYEH.png

8:40 PM · Aug 1, 2020

IZgMEb0.png

---------------

Ronald Brownstein @RonBrownstein

"Dad was a Republican. He watched Fox News, and he had voted for Ducey and Trump. When they told him not to live in fear, that very few people would catch the disease, that its effects weren't serious, he believed them."

9:16 PM · Aug 1, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.