• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Orayn's 3 day ban didn't help.

Pelosi is holding her own briefing:

Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur

Pelosi is dialing it up, says Republicans "distrust American workers—they're condescending and disrespectful of the needs of American families" by opposing $600 extension. "Their delay, their denials, their distortions have caused death." She says Trump is listening to "quacks."

11:10 AM · Jul 31, 2020

Hedge

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like the WH and Mitch are not on the same page here regarding the liability protections for businesses. Mitch wants it no matter what and the WH is now being flexible on it:

This "red line," as McConnell calls it, has appeared to be a major obstacle in negotiations. Congressional Democrats have strongly objected to granting such legal protections, arguing that it would give businesses and employers wide latitude to endanger their workers without fear of repercussion.

But White House officials are less attached to the issue, seeing the shield as something the administration can live without in the stimulus package, according to the two people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private strategy.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Trump is scrambling for anything to help in November. He wants stimulus now to drive the stock market and change the narrative, and worry about consequences later (or more likely attack Biden for those consequences).

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like the WH and Mitch are not on the same page here regarding the liability protections for businesses. Mitch wants it no matter what and the WH is now being flexible on it:

>

Jeff Stein @JStein_WaPo

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany confirms my story w/ @ericawerner this morning about Trump being willing to sign a stimulus bill w/o liability shield. Says Trump is focused on unemployment benefits; up to McConnell if he'd hold up over UI

McEnany: "That's a question for Mitch McConnell ... that's his priority. This president is very keenly focused on unemployment insurance"

11:17 AM · Jul 31, 2020

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
>

Jeff Stein @JStein_WaPo

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany confirms my story w/ @ericawerner this morning about Trump being willing to sign a stimulus bill w/o liability shield. Says Trump is focused on unemployment benefits; up to McConnell if he'd hold up over UI

McEnany: "That's a question for Mitch McConnell ... that's his priority. This president is very keenly focused on unemployment insurance"

11:17 AM · Jul 31, 2020

Yes, burn that fucking turtle to the ground.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's been clear from the beginning that the liability protections are something that McConnell promised big donors in some backroom deal he made for himself. Trump doesn't give a shit about saving the turtle's skin.
Trump gets sued all the time, he probably thinks it is no big deal

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Maximum pressure over the weekend to turn the narrative that the dems are actually stalling UI is about what I expected. The average person wouldn't know squat about the existing house deal, basically up to general public to be informed enough by whatever they watch as to the existing house deal and what each party actually stands for. I'd be more concerned if Dems hadn't been holding strong all week so idk, feel pretty good going into the weekend.

Oh shit, please pull through, Markey
That poll brings up the same question I had as to who going forward would really care about the Kennedy name.

Question 4: Would you be more or less likely to vote for a candidate who has the Kennedy name?
More Likely 20%
Less Likely 24%
Makes No Difference 57%

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
True Colors:

NEWS: Andrew Cuomo is blocking Democrats' bill to slightly raise taxes on billionaires — to balance the budget, Cuomo has instead pushed Medicaid cuts as his billionaire donors have increased their wealth by $22 billion during the pandemic.

Last edited:

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it goes back to United States v. Wilson (1833), where the Supreme Court said that acceptance is the final part of the pardon process — in that case, the court ruled that the recipient of a pardon has the opportunity to reject it. So since Grant rescinded the pardons before they were presented, there was no opportunity to accept/reject and the pardons were not final.

George W. Bush rescinded his pardon of Isaac Toussie on a similar basis in December 2008.

There is still some controversy around the very idea of rescinding pardons, with some arguing that the act of a president signing vests it and cannot be rescinded. But that's the state of current law.
Damn, that sucks. Obviously any scenario in which Trump is pardoned (or self-pardoned) is one where the pardon would be immediately accepted. Well, thanks anyway! Something to keep our eyes on.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Not really sure about the timing or provenance of this picture, but I will post this as good political news to prove I'm not a total doomer. It's cool that our $40 million yacht owning ruling class can still look like total fools.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
It's just like that CHIP bullshit.
- Deliberately let children's health insurance program expire
- Ignore it monthly for any renewal despite Dems bringing it up in the House
- January comes, attach funding for it to the shitty spending bill
- "LOOK, DEMS HATE CHILDREN, THEY WON'T VOTE FOR CHIP and this garbage GOP spending bill WHAT ABOUT KIDS HUH?"

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
For those that don't want to follow Sirota, he's just pulling off a guardian article. I don't think anyone should be surprised by this though.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
"Mr Jordan, do you know what a public health crisis is?".

Fauci isn't even listening to him. lol

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
True Colors:

NEWS: Andrew Cuomo is blocking Democrats' bill to slightly raise taxes on billionaires — to balance the budget, Cuomo has instead pushed Medicaid cuts as his billionaire donors have increased their wealth by $22 billion during the pandemic.

What a motherfucker. Don't fucking cut Medicaid during a pandemic you lunatic.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I'e noticed that the few paper bills I still get are coming days later than normal.

WaPo: The U.S. Postal Service is experiencing backlogs of mail after a top Trump donor running the agency put in place new procedures, alarming postal workers who warn that the policies could undermine their ability to deliver ballots on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.