• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I don't know everything about the census and redistricting but Congress could definitely pass an extension or even a new one. Nothing in the constitution says how long it has to take. Maybe as part of the new voting rights act.

Yeah, pretty sure that the constitution requires a census to be completed every 10 years. You aren't completing a census if you don't complete it within that time frame. Not a chance in hell that holds up with SCOTUS. So they couldn't "pass an extension" most likely.

That said. Nothing in the constitution mandates that you can't do one more often. So, as you said, they could just have another one.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Wrapping up July:
VjdKs4U.png

14tXEof.png

1C2VItP.png

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
June was an awful month for Donald. The month started with him using armed forces to assault & tear gas protesters in Lafayette Square for a shitty photo-op. The month ended with Donald dismissing the Russian bounty story and letting everyone know he doesn't pay attention to intelligence briefings.

July wasn't any better with DHS in Portland and Donald demanding schools open. The month ends with Donald sending well wishes to Ghislaine Maxwell, promoting demon semen lady for his botched handling of the pandemic, reiterating he couldn't care less about Russian bounty on US soldiers, and openly considering delaying the election.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
I love how it's on the same frontpage too:

John Lewis's funeral: frontpage news. Death of an American hero.
Hiding in the corner: Herman Cain, dead! oh well.

Well, you get the treatment from history you deserve.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So it would seem that abrupt jump to 33/67 approve/disapprove from 3 weeks ago wasn't an outlier in the trend.

IpsosPoll_Q3_Protests_ApproveDisapprove_073020_v01_KS_1596149776869_hpEmbed_16x9_992.jpg

abcnews.go.com

Trump in trouble as nearly two-thirds of Americans disapprove of his handling of COVID-19, protests, Russia: POLL

Nearly two-thirds of Americans disapprove of President Trump’s handling of three major challenges facing the country, according to a new ABC News/Ipsos poll.

A slight majority (52%) view the response as exacerbating the situation, and 19% say it doesn't have an effect either way.

Even among Americans who are supposed to be Trump loyalists, only 42% of white non-college educated Americans say that the presence of federal agents improves the situation. Over a third (37%) of this demographic see the move as making the situation worse.
Remember when Donald called the wall of Portland moms a "scam"? True master awe strategy right there.

What does suck is that press coverage was kinda shite as some outlets published DHS statements / propaganda blaming protesters.

Oct 28, 2017
The biggest fuck up is after seeing mass support for the Black Lives Movement, a movement based on the idea of accountability for the police, Trump decides to send unmarked federal agents who are unable to be identified and therefore be made accountable for their actions to start some shit in Portland. If the federal agents weren't unmarked and dressed like military cosplayers, I think the polling might be more positive towards him.

It spooked even conservatives because how do you even try to defend something like that? The only response I've seen from dishonest conservatives is to change the topic to the Antifa, because they've got no answer to why its OK to have unmarked federal agents running around. You have no idea who they are, what department they are from and how they're allowed to "disappear" white people. For all you know, they could be militia groups. You can't really prove or disprove this beyond take the government's word at face value, which is not worth very much right now.

I want to hear more about what Grant revoking Johnson's pardons would mean for a blanket pardon of Trump. Grant tried revoking two, but only was able to go through with one because in one case the prisoner had already been released. For the other one, Johnson's pardon order hadn't yet reached him, so the revocation meant his full sentence stayed in effect.

For Trump, it would be for crimes not even prosecuted, so the basis seems more solid to revoke it.
Grant was only able to do that because the men had not actually accepted/received the pardons yet.

Realistically, what happens if Trump tucks tail and drops out? Is Pence automatically the new nominee? Or do the GoP hopefuls duke it out?
It's not automatic, but realistically in that party doomsday scenario there'd be neither the time or prospect of getting anyone else.

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago and Milwaukee need to take notice. When the goons try their shit in your town, put the wine moms and leaf blower dads on the front lines. We have scientific evidence now that apathetic White America has found their situational sympathies.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The biggest fuck up is after seeing mass support for the Black Lives Movement, a movement based on the idea of accountability for the police, Trump decides to send unmarked federal agents who are unable to be identified and therefore be made accountable for their actions to start some shit in Portland. If the federal agents weren't unmarked and dressed like military cosplayers, I think the polling might be more positive towards him.

It spooked even conservatives because how do you even try to defend something like that? The only response I've seen from dishonest conservatives is to change the topic to the Antifa, because they've got no answer to why its OK to have unmarked federal agents running around. You have no idea who they are, what department they are from and how they're allowed to "disappear" white people. For all you know, they could be militia groups. You can't really prove or disprove this beyond take the government's word at face value, which is not worth very much right now.

I think of all the ugly chapters of Trump's presidency that will actually be covered in history texts, the protests and federal overreach will have the most striking imagery.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

www.theguardian.com

Portland sees peaceful night of protests following withdrawal of federal agents

Thursday night’s protest passed off without major incident or intervention by the police in the absence of federal officers

The withdrawal of federal agents from frontline policing of demonstrations in downtown Portland significantly reduced tensions in the city overnight.

Protesters in support of Black Lives Matter once again rallied near the federal courthouse that became a flashpoint, and the scene of nightly battles amid the swirl of tear gas, after Donald Trump dispatched agents to end what he called anarchy in the city after weeks of demonstrations.

But in the absence of the federal officers, Thursday night's protest passed off without major incident or intervention by the police.

On Wednesday, Oregon's governor, Kate Brown, agreed with the White House that the state police would take over responsibility for guarding the courthouse after weeks of escalating protests. She said that "Trump's troops" were behaving like an occupying army in Portland and provoking unrest with heavy-handed tactics.

In contrast, the state troopers did not intervene even when the scale of the protest on Thursday night passed the point, as demonstrators shook the fence around the courthouse, at which in early demonstrations the federal agents generally fired tear gas, stun grenades and baton rounds.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 28, 2017
I think of all the ugly chapters of Trump's presidency that will actually be covered in history texts, the protests and federal overreach will have the most striking imagery.

The policing of the protests was covered overwhelmingly negatively all around the world, even in the right wing media in Australia. There's nothing more damning than seeing the live camera crew who worked for one of our right leaning morning TV shows get shot at with rubber projectiles, tear gassed and wacked with cudgels when it is clear that they have done nothing wrong. The Taliban have shown more restraint than US police.

People with no political opinions in Australia thought "well, black people have a point huh".

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Mark Knoller @markknoller

WH Sr Policy Adviser Stephen Miller walks by press gaggle after @FoxNews liveshot defending Pres Trump for suggesting delaying the election. Calls it "shocking'' that "nobody who mails in a ballot has their identity confirmed." Says "nobody checks" if they're even a US citizen.

TSbtHnl.png

9:07 AM · Jul 31, 2020

What a lying sack of shit

Clearly this shit head has never even seen an absentee ballot or participated in the process. You submit and have your credentials check BEFORE you recieve the ballot

I can't take these people anymore

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

But even that attempt to blame antifa fails, when the stats show:

0 victims killed in anti-fascist attacks since 1994
21 victims killed in left-wing violence since 2010
95 victims killed in jihadist attacks since 2010
117 victims killed in right-wing violence since 2010
329 victims killed in right-wing violence snce 1994

Those right-wingers have been more dangerous than jihadists.

www.theguardian.com

Anti-fascists linked to zero murders in the US in 25 years

As Trump rails against ‘far-left’ fascism, new database shows leftwing attacks have left far fewer people dead than violence by rightwing extremists

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
www.businessinsider.com

Kushner's coronavirus team shied away from a national strategy, believing that the virus was hitting Democratic states hardest and that they could blame governors, report says

Some members of Kushner's COVID-19 team thought it was better to leave Democratic-voting areas to fend for themselves, a source told Vanity Fair.

This was apparent to anyone paying attention. They wanted to blame the governors of blue states and took a gamble that the virus wouldn't spread.
In the end, we all got fucked over.

Oct 28, 2017

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Yeah, including imagery like this on Fox News, when they promoted this doctored image, which was actually several images pasted together.

16x9

www.sbs.com.au

Fox News caught doctoring photographs to make protesters look violent

Fox News claimed the photographs were from Seattle's protests, but they were actually a mash-up of protests from several days across various US cities.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
So far today, the RNC blamed Biden for cutting police funding when he was VP (the actual people cutting funding were in Congress, which was controlled by Republicans), and Ronna McDaniel said we need "a president who can create jobs" (when unemployment has skyrocketed under Trump) and said Biden only gave jobs to his sons (which is ironic considering Trump's family's involvement in government).

These people are floundering. They have absolutely no way to attack Biden.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
With Trump shutting down campaign advertising while they scramble and flail for a "new tone", I wonder what gems they will come up with?
It's pretty obvious that Donnie Dementia can't even stay on message for a couple hours anymore, Parscal's Death Star exploded, and they can't find anything that sticks to Biden.
Trump should grab all that glorious campaing money and leave the country. It would be the yugest grift in history.

Oct 28, 2017
With Trump shutting down campaign advertising while they scramble and flail for a "new tone", I wonder what gems they will come up with?
It's pretty obvious that Donnie Dementia can't even stay on message for a couple hours anymore, Parscale's Death Star exploded, and they can't find anything that sticks to Biden.
Trump should grab all that glorious campaing money and leave the country. It would be the yugest grift in history.

I won't lie, the halting of campaign ad spending did have me think they/Trump was going to pocket the whole lot for a minute.

Trump's mental capacity has only deteriorated as the pandemic situation got worse and worse. The real strategy would be to attack Biden on his past politics and voting record. Shit like the crime bill, social security, etc should be easy attacks. They sort of attempt to do this but Trump can't stay on topic for more than a minute before he goes straight back to grievance politics that no one gives a shit about when the world is falling apart.

He was never the most coherent speaker but he'd be able to pivot to say whatever people wanted to hear. Now, he's just yelling about making dishwashers great again. A problem that no one has ever had an issue with (half the benefit of a dishwasher is a lower water bill vs. hand washing).

Oct 25, 2017
will they be allowed to teach that version of history in texas?
I'm curious to see what's in current history books now, since I've been out of primary school for decades now.

My books all basically stopped at 2000 (reasonably) because it's dumb as hell to try and write useful history from a basic education standpoint about stuff that's at best a few years old, but at this point they've got to have a summation of at least GWB's term and most of Obama's.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Great point by Trevor Noah last night. Talking about the failure of GOP to govern, with benefits running out and only now do they scramble to make a deal.

"If your govt can't help when things are this bad, you don't really have a govt. You're just paying people to watch this shit along with you."

Status
Not open for further replies.