• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's not accurate because any agenda- even Bernie's, because that's who these people are always talking about--would need to get through the house and senate to have any chance of working.

The majority of the things that always online leftists like this dude want would be completely dead on arrival even with a democratic house and senate. Hell, there is a VERY good argument to be made that a Sanders administration would be LESS progressive than a Biden administration, because Biden is well liked on both sides of the aisle, and known to be easy to work with where Sanders is NOT.

When asked how any of Sanders priorities would ever get passed, even Bernie would default to nonsense like "the revolution will force them to do it" which is quite frankly complete nonsense. There is a reason that everyone dropped out prior to super Tuesday to deliver a swift kick in the balls to the Sanders campaign, and thats because anyone with a clue of how bills actually get passed into law saw a Sanders administration as a disaster.
Biden's presidency will also be a disaster, but in ways that mean much less to the democratic voters. In particular, his foreign policy is much worse than Bernie's on basically every issue. So much for having a president that is sympathetic to Palestinians or is critical of our drone wars.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Jeff Stein @JStein_WaPo

Sen. Portman (R-Ohio) says there is room for a compromise up from the GOP's $200 on UI: "There's a cliff. We can't let that happen. We have to do something before Friday ... We have to resolve this. We can't go through a period where unemployment is not going out to people."

8:32 AM · Jul 29, 2020

Circling back to this from last night, I hope the first big bill is something similar to HR1 with helping to secure voting rights and in general making voting easier. If Republicans try to block it you nuke the filibuster and then you can come out and say something like (and hopefully they can find someone better at messaging than me) "We are trying to make our democracy better and making sure that everyone has convenient access to voting and that our elected officials truly represent their consistencies rather than getting to chose who they represent. Republicans are fundamentally opposed to that and so for the good of our democracy we are removing the filibuster from the Senate."

I feel something like that would work as a better reason to kill the filibuster than healthcare or tax or climate (which all definitely need addressing). That is something that should not be partisan and I think it would be easier to message than trying to do some of those other things.
Whether it should be a partisan issue, it is.

The GOP is invariably going to scream about killing the filibuster, so the issue they do that on should be the thing that is the biggest political win for the Democrats, that is to say, the thing the public is most invested in. And that's saving the economy.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Jennifer Jacobs @JenniferJJacobs

Trump trade and manufacturing adviser Peter Navarro says he stands by hydroxychloroquine for coronavirus treatment. "I'm sitting on millions of doses of it," he says on CNN.

White House obtained 60-million-plus hydroxychloroquine doses for the national stockpile under Emergency Use Authorization authority before the FDA pulled the plug. The pills are still there, unused.

8:51 AM · Jul 29, 2020

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
www.bloomberg.com

GOP Fiscal Hawks Rediscover Their Voice in New Stimulus Fight

Republican fiscal conservatives are reasserting themselves in the debate over another stimulus bill, attempting to put the brakes on new spending after their party presided over tax cuts and spending that have swelled the federal deficit.

Allowing the Republicans to act like they are fiscal hawks or even care would be a huge political misstep. The deficits and debts always balloon under GOP governments. Allowing people to believe they are good for the economy is a blunder. How many times do they have to ruin a successful economy before people get the hint? All the way back to the Great Depression we've seen the results of reduced regulation and unrestrained growth, the folly of conservatism basically.

Trump trade and manufacturing adviser Peter Navarro says he stands by hydroxychloroquine for coronavirus treatment. "I'm sitting on millions of doses of it," he says on CNN.

White House obtained 60-million-plus hydroxychloroquine doses for the national stockpile under Emergency Use Authorization authority before the FDA pulled the plug. The pills are still there, unused.

Hey, they might be useful in the future if climate change leads to malaria epidemics in the US!

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

Jeff Stein @JStein_WaPo

Sen. Portman (R-Ohio) says there is room for a compromise up from the GOP's $200 on UI: "There's a cliff. We can't let that happen. We have to do something before Friday ... We have to resolve this. We can't go through a period where unemployment is not going out to people."

8:32 AM · Jul 29, 2020

I love how they dither and procrastinate and then start crying about how quickly the deadline is upon them. They are incapable of governing.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

We already knew the reason was $$$$, but it's nice they just flat out admit it. LOL

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.bloomberg.com

GOP Fiscal Hawks Rediscover Their Voice in New Stimulus Fight

Republican fiscal conservatives are reasserting themselves in the debate over another stimulus bill, attempting to put the brakes on new spending after their party presided over tax cuts and spending that have swelled the federal deficit.

From a purely politics-as-electoral-game view (a perspective I think is just garbage to consider, but whatever), this is a hilarious misunderstanding of what made Donald Trump popular/populist and what helped him steamroll that 2016 primary.

LilZippa

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa
I love how they dither and procrastinate and then start crying about how quickly the deadline is upon them. They are incapable of governing.
Isn't that the whole shtick. Complain that government doesn't work then get elected to prove it doesn't whilst pillaging everything for their corporate and rich masters.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Then the answer is never, because I can't think of a better opportunity than now to push something like this
Now would be a terrible time to try to push that through in Senate. People are more concerned with relief efforts and containment efforts, a huge piece of legislation like that which would have zero chance if conditions were great would be a disaster.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biden's presidency will also be a disaster, but in ways that mean much less to the democratic voters. In particular, his foreign policy is much worse than Bernie's on basically every issue. So much for having a president that is sympathetic to Palestinians or is critical of our drone wars.

This is so depressing, because foreign policy is one area where the president has so much power to effect change from day 1. And I've seen zero evidence that Biden has moved in the right direction on foreign policy; the language in the platform surrounding Israel is just dismal. We have actually regressed there compared to Obama's presidency.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Lucas Tomlinson @LucasFoxNews

Defense Secretary Esper announces 12,000 U.S. troops leaving Germany.

6,400 returning to United States and 5,600 moving to other European nations

The movement of 12,000 U.S. troops out of Germany will begin "within weeks," Esper adds

F-16 squadron also leaving Germany and moving to Italy, top U.S. commander in Europe says

Esper says it will cost "several billion dollars" to move 12,000 U.S. troops out of Germany

9:27 AM · Jul 29, 2020

Snowball guy on June 9th:

Igor Bobic @igorbobic

Inhofe, chair of Armed Services, says he doesn't support pulling U.S. troops from Germany.

"First of all, it can't be done. I just don't believe the president did that because...he has a real passion for the troops...They've got kids in school, one-year leases on houses..."

"He wouldn't do it. He has too much love for our troops," Inhofe added of Trump, saying he "didn't know about" the decision

3:07 PM · Jun 9, 2020

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Republican Representative or Senator: That can't be true, I don't think the president would do that.
Reporter: *Presents evidence of the president doing exactly that*
Republican Representative or Senator: That can't be true, I don't think the president would do that.

Repeat ad nauseam.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
🤷‍♂️

------------------------------------

Tom Ridge Op-ed:

www.usatoday.com

Tom Ridge: Unlike Trump, Republicans must strongly, fully denounce racism

The White House insists on equivocating and diminishing the very real scourges of white supremacy and racism.

GOP historically has fought racism

The GOP spearheaded Reconstruction, desegregated the federal government and fought alongside civil rights leaders for decades to institute anti-lynching legislation. An overwhelming majority of Republican congressmen and senators voted to pass the 1964 Civil Rights Act, ending Jim Crow.

The Republican Party has historically stood firm against violent white supremacists. While running for president in 1980, Ronald Reagan strongly disavowed the Ku Klux Klan.

And in 1991, Republicans nationwide banded together to deny David Duke, the former Klan leader, the governorship of Louisiana.

That leadership came from the top. "I believe he should be rejected for what he is and what he stands for," said President George H.W. Bush.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
WN09vjn.png

oohMxQH.png

l5PJDhm.png

1FJjftq.png

Matthew Yglesias @mattyglesias

Amazingly these are clips from an ad whose point is that you should vote for Susan Collins.

Whoa whoa whoa she wants to improve health care *and* make the economy fairer? Pick a lane!

10:06 AM · Jul 29, 2020

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
NBC News reported on this earlier:

Michael Del Moro @MikeDelMoro

Senior WH official tells the AP the Trump administration is in early-stage discussions with Oregon's Governor about beginning to draw down the federal presence in Portland.

7:41 AM · Jul 29, 2020

apnews.com

Oregon governor says US agents will start leaving Portland

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Federal agents who have clashed with protesters in Portland, Oregon, will begin a “phased withdrawal” from the city, Gov.

The fuck?

This isn't like leaving an occupied country. There's no reason to negotiate a "draw down" of troops. They can just leave.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sad, not sad.

Maybe if more of these idiots get it they will take this shit seriously. Not likely, but maybe.

Dipshit was supposed to meet Donald today:

Jake Sherman @JakeSherman

NEWS … Texas Rep. LOUIE GOHMERT (@replouiegohmert) has tested positive for the coronavirus.

He has not been wearing a mask on Capitol Hill. Gohmert was scheduled to go to Texas with @realDonaldTrump this morning.

Story up on POLITICO shortly….

10:09 AM · Jul 29, 2020

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
www.politico.com

Louie Gohmert, who refused to wear a mask, tests positive for coronavirus

The Texas Republican received the diagnosis during a pre-screening procedure at the White House on Wednesday morning.

Gohmert tests positive for Covid

What a fucking gohmert

But think of all the political points he won by standing up to science and rational thinking!

God if anyone in those committees catch it, may they sue him to oblivion. Make the rest of his years legal hell for ignoring rules and putting lives at risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.