• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
I"m almost hoping that Duckworth gets VP, just so Trump can be Trump and insult her having no legs, thus securing him a record-breaking electoral loss.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
We may have voted for a center left domestic politician, but Obama was no different than the rest of the imperialist American exceptionalist presidents of the past 200 years.

Gross generalizations like this quote alone tells that either you know jack shit about the history of American foreign policy or you're just ramping things up in order to blow off some steam. If it's the former, educate yourself to not show your ass. If it's the latter, cool off because you're not contributing anything worthwhile.

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
Wat.

Foreign policy is a minefield of debate. Suffice to say I don't much care for left wing isolationism and strongly worded letters.

What does strongly worded letters have to do with the fact that US politicians constantly promote violence through sanctions, bombings, and the mass export of weapons throughout the world?

I am not asking for isolationism. I'm asking for a foreign policy that's not violence first, last, or any option in between. I'm asking for a policy that backs up our, "freedom and democracy for all," rhetoric.

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
Gross generalizations like this quote alone tells that either you know jack shit about the history of American foreign policy or you're just ramping things up in order to blow off some steam. If it's the former, educate yourself to not show your ass. If it's the latter, cool off because you're not contributing anything worthwhile.

Okay, so what did I get wrong here? Please. Enlighten me.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I really think COVID and especially the eviction crisis coming very soon will overshadow any other debate.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does strongly worded letters have to do with the fact that US politicians constantly promote violence through sanctions, bombings, and the mass export of weapons throughout the world?

I am not asking for isolationism. I'm asking for a foreign policy that's not violence first, last, or any option in between. I'm asking for a policy that backs up our, "freedom and democracy for all," rhetoric.
I agree with that. Calling all democratic foreign policy "right wing" when there are clearly elements of it that don't like the whole Imperialism thing while also understanding that Geopolitics and America being a superpower means even when we try to be the "good" guy we fuck up doesn't help.

You know how many people cheer on America "depowering itself" who use that rhetoric and fail to realize it'll be either China or Russia replacing us on the global stage? America is no saint but I have hope we can change the problems here. China/Russia? Less so.

Obama had a clear objective of trying to deescalate the situation and go for peace (IRAN). Meanwhile Right Wing foreign policy wants to go to war with them and reduce Iran to glass.

These two positions are clearly the same.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Okay so agree to disagree on Israel, but I can we agree they're lagging the American public here?
It feels like such an easy win to me to jump on this. It will be legal in most of America soon enough anyway.

Edit: polls!
x97aj5O.png

Oct 25, 2017
Off topic:

www.reuters.com

New Zealand PM Ardern's ratings sky high ahead of election

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern's party raced ahead of rivals in the latest opinion poll, putting the charismatic 40-year-old leader on track for a comfortable victory in the elections in September.

Ardern has consistently polled ahead of her rivals and her popularity has risen further this year as she won global praise for her leadership during the COVID-19 pandemic.

When it comes to foreign policy, Democrats have really shown their ass in recent years. They are slightly left of Republicans in rhetoric, but they are the same on actions.

Obama continued drone warfare, he protected the Saudis and the apartheid state Israel at the cost of those countries' people for the sake of, "stability," he continued the sociopathic policy of starving Iran's people, and he funded far-right militias in Syria and Libya.

Obama said all of the right things, but he was basically the same as Bush, Clinton, Reagan in every single foreign policy action he made.

We may have voted for a center left domestic politician, but Obama was no different than the rest of the imperialist American exceptionalist presidents of the past 200 years.
Kind of hard to take your point seriously when you state such generalities as fact.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes the dems not wanting leglaized pot is actually pretty annoying.

Until you realize old people are backing us this election and they're trying to not scare them off. Stupid and old as they are they vote.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
They want the olds because they actually show up and a higher portion of them have an issue with it iirc, but yeah they're lagging pretty clearly.

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
I agree with that. Calling all democratic foreign policy "right wing" when there are clearly elements of it that don't like the whole Imperialism thing while also understanding that Geopolitics and America being a superpower means even when we try to be the "good" guy we fuck up doesn't help.

You know how many people cheer on America "depowering itself" who use that rhetoric and fail to realize it'll be either China or Russia replacing us on the global stage? America is no saint but I have hope we can change the problems here. China/Russia? Less so.

Obama had a clear objective of trying to deescalate the situation and go for peace (IRAN).

I think a lot of people, particularly on the center, believe that when leftists cheer on the end of US colonialism and imperialism, we are not cheering for the end of the idea of what so many people believe US foreign policy is: the promotion of equal rights and democracy across the free world.

What we are celebrating is the end of a colonialist foreign policy that basically chooses which oppressed people deserves human rights and which oppressed people doesn't deserve human rights.

Like it's pretty incredible that we constantly shame China on human rights but never Turkey. We shame Russia about their self-appointed dictator, but never shame Saudi Arabia's and its royal family. We shame Hezbollah about arming certain groups in Syria, yet we never shame the Saudi and Qatari Wahhabist financiers of hard right militias across the Middle East.

If we really want to back up what we say, we actually have to do it because right now, our whole stability game we play with a regional dictator only creates more problems for the regions we meddle with over time (See: Mubarak).

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
While it's not necessarily that nobody cares about the party platform, I don't think what's on the party platform has ever been a good indicator of the Democrats' priorities absent activist pressure. Nor do I think what the Democrats put on the platform is going to change minds and pull in votes.

Actually, I guess I am saying that nobody really cares about the party platform.

I'm going to use this as a reminder that the work doesn't end in November.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people, particularly on the center, believe that when leftists cheer on the end of US colonialism and imperialism, we are not cheering for the end of the idea of what so many people believe US foreign policy is: the promotion of equal rights and democracy across the free world.

What we are celebrating is the end of a colonialist foreign policy that basically chooses which oppressed people deserves human rights and which oppressed people doesn't deserve the stern talking to about human rights.

Like it's pretty incredible that we constantly shame China on human rights but never Turkey. We shame Russia about their self-appointed dictator, but never shame Saudi Arabia's and its royal family. We shame Hezbollah about arming certain groups in Syria, yet we never shame the Saudi and Qatari Wahhabist financiers of hard right militias across the Middle East.

If we really want to back up what we say, we actually have to do it because right now, our whole stability game we play with a regional dictator only creates more problems for the regions we meddle with over time (See: Mubarak).
Sometimes I hear this but in practice they're celebrating American influence going down.

We should be trying to change our influence into a postive movement like you said.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Yes the dems not wanting leglaized pot is actually pretty annoying.

Until you realize old people are backing us this election and they're trying to not scare them off. Stupid and old as they are they vote.

That's really all it is. The GOP will use that to attack them and it would be a huge distraction. Law enforcement and pharma lobbies also hate legalized marijuana so you'd have them backing the GOP by default.

No need to have that fight this year.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
They want the olds because they actually show up and a higher portion of them have an issue with it iirc, but yeah they're lagging pretty clearly.
I think it's less about wanting the olds to turn out and more that a lot of the people drafting this thing are olds themselves.

That I said, I don't think these party platforms matter at all

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
No, he absolutely was wrong.

Reagan wouldn't have tried to go for peace with Iran and you know it. Nor would anyone on the right tried to criticize and reign in Israel.

We did not go for peace with Iran with Obama.

Embargo style sanctions (Iran, Iraq, Cuba, Venezuela) are weapons of mass destruction meant to starve a nation's most impoverished people so the richest at the top of an affected nation's government are forced to change policy.

There is nothing peaceful about starving a country. It is violent in the same way it is violent for state and local governments that refuse to properly fund impoverished communities in the US because they are, "high crime."

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Weed legalization passed in Washington state in 2012 and the state Democratic party supported it.
They're almost there, they need a tiny bit of push on this issue.

And I donno, if we want young people to care more about politics, legalizing weed doesn't seem like a terrible idea to me.
It's also good policy.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We did not go for peace with Iran with Obama.

Embargo style sanctions (Iran, Iraq, Cuba, Venezuela) are weapons of mass destruction meant to starve a nation's most impoverished people so the richest at the top of an affected nation's government are forced to change policy.

There is nothing peaceful about starving a country. It is violent in the same way it is violent for state and local governments that refuse to properly fund impoverished communities in the US because they are, "high crime."
So how do you suggest we impose punishment on regimes doing bad things? Sanctions are not weapons of mass destructon and if used properly can actually hurt a government.

See US sanctions on Russia.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Okay, so what did I get wrong here? Please. Enlighten me.

If you want to make the claim that the history of America is a long, painful continuation of colonialism and often violent intervention and conquest - I have no contention with that. I'll also agree that the U.S. has a lot of work to do to make up for it's past sins - largely by empowering international bodies, offering positive diplomatic and econcomic overtures (instead of sanctions) and actually being consistent on upholding human rights.

However, if you're going to throw out the claim it's all been 200 years of unbroken imperialism and that there's no discernible differences between U.S. presidents then you'll need to articulate to me how
  • the initial concept and execution of the Monroe Doctrine in asserting the Western Hemisphere was to be independent from European powers does not differ in how it was interpreted in the early 20th century during T. Roosevelt's Pax Americana
  • Wilson's campaign of international activism was no different than Hoover's staunch belief in non-intervention
  • the ways that F.D.R.'s Good Neighbor policy has anything in common with Cold War interventionism in Latin America during the cold war
  • conflate how the Clinton Administration's military use for humanitarian intervention in spots like Haiti and Bosnia are indistinguishable from W.Bush's justifications for the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq
  • anything done during Carter or Obama's admin comes within sniffing distance of Iran-Contra
Maybe it's just nuances or matters of degrees to you, but they matter. So please, enlighten me.

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
So how do you suggest we impose punishment on regimes doing bad things? Sanctions are not weapons of mass destructon and if used properly can actually hurt a government.

See US sanctions on Russia.

The sanctions on Russia have been largely put on oligarchs and those supporting oligarchs.

Also, US sanctions are only so effective against larger countries since the whole point of sanctions is to put a knee on a country's throat. The larger and more resource rich the country is, the less effective the sanctions will be. So in the case of Russia, the US will never stop doing business with Deutsche Bank even though the international bank has been caught multiple times laundering billions of dollars for the sanctioned country.

The best way to punish a country committing human rights violations is to sanction the ruling class and continue to provide aid and fund the opposition if the adversarial party asks for it.

Sanctions have never been successful and it is just another form of warfare that has killed millions of people.

If you want to make the claim that the history of America is a long, painful continuation of colonialism and often violent intervention and conquest - I have no contention with that. I'll also agree that the U.S. has a lot of work to do to make up for it's past sins - largely by empowering international bodies, offering positive diplomatic and econcomic overtures (instead of sanctions) and actually being consistent on upholding human rights.

However, if you're going to throw out the claim it's all been 200 years of unbroken imperialism and that there's no discernible differences between U.S. presidents then you'll need to articulate to me how
  • the initial concept and execution of the Monroe Doctrine in asserting the Western Hemisphere was to be independent from European powers does not differ in how it was interpreted in the early 20th century during T. Roosevelt's Pax Americana
  • Wilson's campaign of international activism was no different than Hoover's staunch belief in non-intervention
  • the ways that F.D.R.'s Good Neighbor policy has anything in common with Cold War interventionism in Latin America during the cold war
  • conflate how the Clinton Administration's military use for humanitarian intervention in spots like Haiti and Bosnia are indistinguishable from W.Bush's justifications for the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq
  • anything done during Carter or Obama's admin comes within sniffing distance of Iran-Contra
Maybe it's just nuances or matters of degrees to you, but they matter. So please, enlighten me.

Hang tight. I'm heading off to bed right now, but I really do appreciate your response. I will get back to it in the morning. I apologize for the snootiness earlier.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

Swalwell is 100% correct, and Barr doing this now is just foreshadowing of him doing it again in November if they interfere again.

He's the most dangerous man in Washington.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Swalwell is 100% correct, and Barr doing this now is just foreshadowing of him doing it again in November if they interfere again.

He's the most dangerous man in Washington.

Barr should have been impeached after he covered up the results of the Mueller report. The House not holding him accountable has emboldened him.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure it's such a great idea for America to decide which countries should be punished and then punish them considering the crazy racists we tend to elect to positions of power.

And more broadly, there are other ways to engage with countries than bombing and sanctions.
Can interest you in some diplomacy and peace?
I think they're neat.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look, you don't ignore what he did because you think the result might not work out in your favor. You do it because it's the right thing to do.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure it's such a great idea for America to decide which countries should be punished and then punish them considering the crazy racists we tend to elect to positions of power.

And more broadly, there are other ways to engage with countries than bombing and sanctions.
Can interest you in some diplomacy and peace?
I think they're neat.
Yes, diplomacy very much works with despotic regimes like N. Korea and Russia.

They're just tripping over themselves with all the candy and flowers we'll send.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Weed legalization passed in Washington state in 2012 and the state Democratic party supported it.
They're almost there, they need a tiny bit of push on this issue.

And I donno, if we want young people to care more about politics, legalizing weed doesn't seem like a terrible idea to me.
It's also good policy.

Seems like it's going to continue to be a "states rights" matter for at least the next 4 years. Assuming a Biden win, I could see them making the commitment to federal legalization in 2024 as more dominoes start to fall across the country.

The sanctions on Russia have been largely put on oligarchs and those supporting oligarchs.

The best way to punish a country committing human rights violations is to sanction the ruling class and continue to provide aid and fund the opposition if the adversarial party asks for it.

I agree, if you're going to sanction, they need to be "smart" targeted sanctions against individuals and maybe associated organizations.

Hang tight. I'm heading off to bed right now, but I really do appreciate your response. I will get back to it in the morning. I apologize for the snootiness earlier.

Fair enough. I got a little heated too, TBH. The idea that imperfect leaders like Carter who were nonetheless comitted to positive change could be lumped in with unrepentant monsters like Jackson was offensive to me.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Vaughn Hillyarn @VaughnHillyard

"As we move forward with our plans to welcome everyone back to our campuses for the start of the semester on August 20..." Arizona State University, with a main campus of 55,000 students in Tempe, says its sticking to plans to welcome staff/students back in just over 3 weeks.

Michael Crow @michaelcrow

I sent the message below to @ASU students and personnel this evening to reaffirm our plans for fall 2020. With the continued care and cooperation of our university community, we look forward to a successful semester.

9:34 PM · Jul 27, 2020
11:03 PM · Jul 27, 2020

kCkzgeg.png

A message from ASU President Michael Crow reaffirming plans for fall 2020 | Office of the President

Dear ASU Community:I am writing today to reaffirm our plans for the fall semester at Arizona State University.

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018

Vaughn Hillyarn @VaughnHillyard

"As we move forward with our plans to welcome everyone back to our campuses for the start of the semester on August 20..." Arizona State University, with a main campus of 55,000 students in Tempe, says its sticking to plans to welcome staff/students back in just over 3 weeks.
I sent the message below to @ASU students and personnel this evening to reaffirm our plans for fall 2020. With the continued care and cooperation of our university community, we look forward to a successful semester.​
11:03 PM · Jul 27, 2020

kCkzgeg.png

A message from ASU President Michael Crow reaffirming plans for fall 2020 | Office of the President

Dear ASU Community:I am writing today to reaffirm our plans for the fall semester at Arizona State University.

See my last post a few pages ago, colleges are going to be a nightmare in a few weeks. Might even be worse than grade school/high schools given the freedom and mobility of college students with cars etc. A 5th grader might be limited to class and then home. A college student is going to class, then maybe shopping, out to a bar, etc. Also colleges are really showing their asses on this, it's all about greed. Whenever I hear rumblings about the college I work at opening in a few weeks, enrollment numbers are the first thing mentioned. Colleges were poisoned back in April with some survey of college students that showed a high percentage of students would look at transferring to another college with in class teaching if classes were online again. But that survey was taken in late March while everyone was struggling to figure out remote learning. I would be curious to see those numbers if that survey was taken now. I would argue at this point how many students are afraid to come back and how does that affect enrollment? But the lumbering beast that is higher ed is completely unable to make quick adjustments, especially when someone views enrollment numbers on the line. Actual health and safety of the students is a remote concern.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

Fuck yeah we're gonna bomb rona.

www.defensenews.com

GOP coronavirus bill includes at least $7 billion for weapons programs

Senate Republicans’ proposed $1 trillion coronavirus relief package includes at least $7 billion for weapons programs, part of $29 billion for defense overall.

The big ask is the four small hospital ships, replacing the mercy class which is 50 years old.

Shipbuilding industry is expecting more than two billion for new hospital ships, possibly in a no bid award due to it being stimulus. But that is s pittance compared to what they are asking for.

The LAW program may be funded under this as well.

Last edited:

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand

This to me just reads like caution. Not having a positive endorsement of legalizing marijuana on the platform is not the same as opposing marijuana legalization.

They don't need this to make the difference in the election, and I think there is an argument to be made that having it as part of the platform may introduce an unknown risk.

Win the Presidency, then legalize it or further decriminalize it.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
The degree mill that is ASU, where all you need is a heartbeat to get admitted, is moving forward with in-person classes? Who would have thought?

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
This to me just reads like caution. Not having a positive endorsement of legalizing marijuana on the platform is not the same as opposing marijuana legalization.

They don't need this to make the difference in the election, and I think there is an argument to be made that having it as part of the platform may introduce an unknown risk.

Win the Presidency, then legalize it or further decriminalize it.

Non of this is binding and doesn't even come up again when the party wins a race. You don't want to give your opponent fodder between now and the election.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, a rep for the Austin PD is on CNN saying the protestor who got shot and killed deserved it.

tenor.gif

Fucking piece of shit. I used to think the APD were okay-ish because they mostly don't arrest people for smoking weed and because the cops in Williamson County make them look like boy scouts in comparison, but their reaction to the protests have completely cured me of that notion.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017

Okay so agree to disagree on Israel, but I can we agree they're lagging the American public here?
It feels like such an easy win to me to jump on this. It will be legal in most of America soon enough anyway.

Edit: polls!
x97aj5O.png

Yeah, the DNC is wrong here if this is just about public support.

What's the context for these votes though? Is "platform" just symbolic? The congress and administration don't have to adhere to any of it AFAIK. It's not like the candidate signs a contract. That's the only thing I can think of to rationalize the vote: the fact that they don't want to campaign on it. If so, that doesn't mean they oppose it...

Status
Not open for further replies.