• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Chad Pergram @ChadPergram

From colleague Jason Donner. McConnell when asked why funding for new FBI HQ is in coronavirus bill. "We had to have an agreement with the admin in order to get started and they'll have to answer the question on why they insisted on that provision. You'll have to ask them"

7:14 PM · Jul 27, 2020

3CellPO

Banned
Jul 13, 2020

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

From colleague Jason Donner. McConnell when asked why funding for new FBI HQ is in coronavirus bill. "We had to have an agreement with the admin in order to get started and they'll have to answer the question on why they insisted on that provision. You'll have to ask them"

DIdn't they not fund it originally because Trump was trying to fuck them over for the Russia investigation?

Also:

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Why is the The Atlantic even bothering to ask for and publish her stupid little comment? She's lost 2/4 of her own elections (and her highest level successful race was unopposed!), never rose above state senator, and worked on two losing primary campaigns. Maybe she doesn't really have a wealth of knowledge or strong political insights on what the American people want...
But we gotta stir the pot!

When it comes to foreign policy and health care, Dems are firmly right-wing and this shit is not going to change at all unless people stay in the streets.
I appreciate a laugh on this fine Monday.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As much as this sucks, maybe politically better to deal with views on Israel after the election. Definitely something Biden and Dems should be pushed on.
The Palestinians always get the domestic realpolitik stick from people on the American left.
What would it takes for people to take a principled stance for once about Palestine?
They are living under an apartheid regime and it's enabled by America.
Biden is up by like a billion points, and we're talking about pretty mild language here, this ain't BDS. I think we need to stop being so scared of doing the right thing when it comes to Israel.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Katie Rogers @katierogers

New - When Trump, annoyed by Fauci's turn as Nats pitcher, announced that he'd pitch at Yankee Stadium on Aug. 15, neither the Yankees -- or the White House -- had been given a heads up about his chosen date. Cue a scramble and cancel. W/ @noahweiland

7:42 PM · Jul 27, 2020

www.nytimes.com

Trump Announced, Then Canceled, a Yankees Pitch. Both Came as a Surprise. (Published 2020)

The president’s announcement that he would pitch at Yankee Stadium on Aug. 15 startled the team’s officials, who had not scheduled such an event.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Was about to post this. I knew this had to be the case when it was first announced. As soon as Fauci was announced to be throwing out the first pitch for the Nationals, everyone knew that such attention and adoration from the public would cheese off Trump and inspire jealousy. So I knew that the Yankee thing was him scrambling last minute to set something up.

What I din't know was him just throwing it all out there and know one else knew. That's just lol.

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't make much sense, given that he extended citizenship to native Americans on reservations and tried to make lynching a federal crime.

The Klan had its hands in both parties at the point Coolidge was ready to ascend to the Presidency.

This is an interesting article on a very brief history of how the Klan played both sides to get the best outcomes for themselves. Basically at that time the Republicans weren't exactly in love with the Klan, but they were willing to tip-toe around them to keep party unity. Dems were very raucous about their internal fracture over the issue of hatred and the Klan.

TLDR; Coolidge didn't call the Klan out and the Dems tore themselves apart over the issue of whether they should

[
By all accounts, Klan representatives had expected to influence the Democratic convention the same way they had the Republican one — by quietly building support for their preferred nominations and policy planks behind the scenes, while picking up what H.L. Mencken called "a lot of free and gaudy advertising." But vocal opposition caught the organization off guard. "There is such a thing, it appears," wrote Mencken, "as being burnt by the spotlights."

Once the Democrats' compromise nominee, John W. Davis, himself denounced the "Invisible Empire," Klan chapters across the country withheld their support and many, especially in the North and West, voted for the Republican Coolidge.
/QUOTE]

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017

It absolutely blows me away how often Congressional Republicans explicitly state that they're not part of an independent branch of government.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017

Disappointing, and I think the DNC is lagging the base here.
Again.

Show me the polls. Anyway I think if you asked the DNC folks individually if they care about this, they would say yes. However, seems like a simple political call to not make it part of your platform in an election year when your own country is burning.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
The Palestinians always get the domestic realpolitik stick from people on the American left.
What would it takes for people to take a principled stance for once about Palestine?
They are living under an apartheid regime and it's enabled by America.
Biden is up by like a billion points, and we're talking about pretty mild language here, this ain't BDS. I think we need to stop being so scared of doing the right thing when it comes to Israel.
I can't disagree with anything you've said here. You're right that it shouldn't be so scary to do the right thing here and yet it has been. For what reason exactly, I'm not sure. Is it that the right people don't care enough, is it AIPAC, is it entirely an issue of perception... All I know is that I am fairly discouraged of anything meaningfully good happening with Israeli-American relations because as you've said, its become such a contentious issue of realpolitik even though it shouldn't be at all. I remember reading about Obama and Hillary as SOS pushing quite hard privately with Bibi against West Bank settlement expansions and yet they still had to toe a line with AIPAC and in general with how they were perceived on the issue of Israel. I feel like the people who care are all on the other side of this issue, and if that doesn't change (how, I wish I knew) this will forever remain an issue of domestic realpolitik where in the end Israel can end up doing as it pleases. It feels immensely disillusioning.

I'll echo that seeing new polling on Israel would be helpful for discussion and for seeing where people are at. For me, it has felt for a long time like generally the people who care enough to have an opinion have been strong supporters of Israel's expansions.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Show me the polls. Anyway I think if you asked the DNC folks individually if they care about this, they would say yes. However, seems like a simple political call to not make it part of your platform in an election year when your own country is burning.
We all take moral stances from time to time, like, trans rights probably don't poll super well but I'm sure no one here would suggest that the Democrats pick their platform on LGBTQ rights based on what swing voters in Iowa think.
But somehow when it comes to Palestinians we always need to check the polls before we can decide if we should keep on supporting Apartheid.

Biden has a historically big lead, if not now, when?

3CellPO

Banned
Jul 13, 2020

yeah, foreign policy seems quaint at this point. I'd love to fix shit here as a priority. Get a good person in the State Department which needs massive fixing as well, then we can talk. And I find Israel politically abhorrent.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Don't fool yourselves, Trump wants to debate. His bubble has convinced him that Biden is a drooling geriatric who should be in assisted living, and Trump views himself as a genius.

We're probably going to get who Biden's VP is going to be in the next 7 to 14 days. Certainly before the convention. If you had to put money on it, who is going to be the VP pick?

I'm going with Kamala.
Harris is the safe, obvious choice, so that's the safest bet.

I think Rice is the wildcard, because she's probably Biden's preference if politics didn't enter into it.

Don't fool yourselves, Trump wants to debate. His bubble has convinced him that Biden is a drooling geriatric who should be in assisted living, and Trump views himself as a genius.
Yeah, the assumption that Trump will refuse to debate ignores that Trump thinks he's a brilliant debater.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If the country is burning, Americans are going to be a little too distracted or focused on other things to vote against the Democrats because they decided to tell Israel to stop doing a bad thing.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still going with Duckworth for VP. She wasn't on the leaked list (my guess is purposely to mislead the press). She has gone after Trump daily on Twitter about the Russian bounties. She's a veteran. She's qualified enough to be a prime candidate to succeed him.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Like... In general or about something that happened in the last week?

In general I've found my house rep attends enough local political events through the year that I can just ask her myself if there's a question keeping me up at night.
Just in general, yeah. I've had different kinds of experiences with representatives' engagement and responsiveness over the years, and am curious how folks here have found it. Yours sounds pretty good!

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Biden will definitely debate barring some extreme circumstances but I do hope they are able to get them in the same room safely. I dont really give a fuck about trumps personal health but if he was infected he would probably infect numerous others. Also the lack of an audience would be great as Trump would probably show up with Tara Reid.

Put Trump in a clear plastic bubble so he can't infect Biden or leave his podium.

Oct 27, 2017

Mmmhmm

14757374.jpg

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
yeah, foreign policy seems quaint at this point. I'd love to fix shit here as a priority. Get a good person in the State Department which needs massive fixing as well, then we can talk. And I find Israel politically abhorrent.
Agreed. I do as well, but you campaign on issues the voters care about. You can do whatever you want once you're in.
But somehow when it comes to Palestinians we always need to check the polls before we can decide if we should keep on supporting Apartheid.
Uh, you're the one that said he's lagging the party's base. I'm asking if that's actually true.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
The majority of Americans are partial towards Israel over Palestine in their ongoing conflict, with "liberal" (the most left) Democrats being the most split.

news.gallup.com

Americans, but Not Liberal Democrats, Mostly Pro-Israel

Americans continue to view Israel favorably and back the Israelis more than the Palestinians, but the extent of that support slipped a bit in 2019.

Most Americans support a Palestinian state.

news.gallup.com

Majority in U.S. Again Support Palestinian Statehood

Americans' support for an independent Palestinian state is the highest since 2003, while their overall favorability toward Israel remains high.

That particular issue discussed above would probably not have hurt election chances, but it would have damaged any relationship any one individual Democratic candidate might have with AIPAC or with members of the Jewish community. That particular stance is quite hard-line and quite politically left.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like supporting Israel in 2020 will age just as well as supporting South Africa in the early 80s.
I'm sure people looked at polls back then too.

I think this is clearly the right side of history, I think the Democrats just need a little push (Netanyahu and the GOP did a lot of work making Israel a partisan issue already).
But it won't happen if we keep excusing them on this point.

Gay marriage wasn't popular with the public either.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
When it comes to foreign policy, Democrats have really shown their ass in recent years. They are slightly left of Republicans in rhetoric, but they are the same on actions.

Obama continued drone warfare, he protected the Saudis and the apartheid state Israel at the cost of those countries' people for the sake of, "stability," he continued the sociopathic policy of starving Iran's people, and he funded far-right militias in Syria and Libya.

Obama said all of the right things, but he was basically the same as Bush, Clinton, Reagan in every single foreign policy action he made.

We may have voted for a center left domestic politician, but Obama was no different than the rest of the imperialist American exceptionalist presidents of the past 200 years.

Last edited:

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's never the right time to do the right thing

The next elections are less than 2 years away, and there is so much at stake...

Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to foreign policy and health care, Dems are firmly right-wing and this shit is not going to change at all unless people stay in the streets.
Wat.

Foreign policy is a minefield of debate. Suffice to say I don't much care for left wing isolationism and strongly worded letters.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
I'm still going with Duckworth for VP. She wasn't on the leaked list (my guess is purposely to mislead the press). She has gone after Trump daily on Twitter about the Russian bounties. She's a veteran. She's qualified enough to be a prime candidate to succeed him.

I don't think the Russian bounties story resonates at all. everything associated with Russia at this point is just noise.

I think Duckworth would be a good choice, but not for that reason.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By the way, a rep for the Austin PD is on CNN saying the protestor who got shot and killed deserved it.

tenor.gif

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Obama continued drone warfare, he protected the Saudis and the apartheid state Israel at the cost of those countries' people for the sake of, "stability," he continued the sociopathic policy of starving Iran's people, and he funded far-right militias in Syria and Libya.
I don't agree with Obama about foreign policy on a lot of things, but I will give him credit that when the pentagon told him the CIA is arming ISIS in Syria and Nazis in Ukraine he stop those programs. It doesn't absolve him from approving those programs, since this is what the CIA always does, but I believe him that he never wanted those outcomes.

Then the Democrats seem to reverse position on these point and became the party that want more military involvement. There are people in the party who are against this kind of shit, I just hope that Biden listen to them and not the hawkish think tanks that some in the party seem to love.

Status
Not open for further replies.