• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Hillary was up by about that much in some states that she did lose (Wisconsin). The margins of error are pretty huge this far out, and it is really really hard to say whether a +7.5 in July corresponds to a 5%, 10%, 20%, or 35% chance of losing, and where the cutoff between Lean and Toss-Up lies.

This reasoning doesn't hold much water because there are lean D states with smaller margins (Wisconsin, Nevada) than Florida's 7.5 and Florida is in the toss-up column.

Florida's polling has also been incredibly stable, and race fundamentals outside of polling (bad economy, unpopular incumbent, Florida's struggles with COVID) benefit Biden, not Trump.

And finally, the "but Hillary" argument is nonsense, as Clinton's negatives were substantially higher than Biden's were, meaning much of her support was "soft" and subject to change. Biden isnt in this category, and in fact we've seen polling where nearly 50% of the electorate is in "will NEVER support Trump" territory.

Wild 8 point swings at this point simply aren't plausible, and trying to stick Florida in the "toss up" column when it's been polling as it is for as long as it has been is horse race bullshit and should be called out as such.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
This is so awful, and it didn't have to happen at all.

COVID-19 patients will be 'sent home to die' if deemed too sick, Texas county says

Starr County once went about three weeks without a COVID-19 case at the beginning of the pandemic. It banned large gatherings, tested hundreds of residents a day, issued stay-at-home orders and required face masks — many of the same mandates now commonplace across the U.S. The poor and mostly Latino county on the Mexico border was containing COVID-19.

"A model for the country," Starr County Judge Eloy Vera said Tuesday — as he shared an update that now appears gloomy.

In April, its aggressive and successful approach to beating the coronavirus was spotlighted by NBC News.

But after Gov. Greg Abbott issued orders for the reopening of the state, overriding local control and decision-making, COVID-19 cases surged.

A committee will deem which COVID-19 patients are likely to die and send them home with family, Jose Vasquez, the county health authority, said during a news conference Tuesday.

"The situation is desperate," Vasquez said. "We cannot continue functioning in the Starr County Memorial Hospital nor in our county in the way that things are going. The numbers are staggering."

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I think it reflects the background history of the state.

The background history of the state isn't all that relevant given current conditions on the ground right now.

Yes, it typically polls closely and is firmly in the swing state category, but there are very real, very serious reasons why it is not polling closely in 2012. That state is literally the worst COVID Hotspot on the planet and both Trump AND DeSantis' favorability have fallen off a cliff because of it.

Gore and Hillary losing it by slim margins in wildly different social and economic conditions don't override that.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
This is so awful, and it didn't have to happen at all.

COVID-19 patients will be 'sent home to die' if deemed too sick, Texas county says

Starr County once went about three weeks without a COVID-19 case at the beginning of the pandemic. It banned large gatherings, tested hundreds of residents a day, issued stay-at-home orders and required face masks — many of the same mandates now commonplace across the U.S. The poor and mostly Latino county on the Mexico border was containing COVID-19.

"A model for the country," Starr County Judge Eloy Vera said Tuesday — as he shared an update that now appears gloomy.

In April, its aggressive and successful approach to beating the coronavirus was spotlighted by NBC News.

But after Gov. Greg Abbott issued orders for the reopening of the state, overriding local control and decision-making, COVID-19 cases surged.

A committee will deem which COVID-19 patients are likely to die and send them home with family, Jose Vasquez, the county health authority, said during a news conference Tuesday.

"The situation is desperate," Vasquez said. "We cannot continue functioning in the Starr County Memorial Hospital nor in our county in the way that things are going. The numbers are staggering."
Abbott's reopening really screwed them over. They're completely overwhelmed even while sending patients to neighboring counties and getting some help from the state/military. If this was a natural disaster, it would be national news, federal disaster declared, and FEMA support rushed to the scene. But it's a pandemic, and because our country fucked up, it's a disaster everywhere.
Starr County, with a population of about 61,000, is located about 230 miles south of San Antonio. The county has 1,432 confirmed coronavirus cases and 15 deaths. But Vasquez told The Monitor there are more than 30 more pending confirmation.

Per 100,000 people, Starr County has reported about 92 cases a day over the past week — the 11th highest rate in Texas, data compiled by Harvard Global Health Institute show.

Starr Memorial quickly filled up its eight-bed COVID-19 unit after the state began reopening and expanded to 17 beds, Vasquez said. It expanded again to 29 beds when state officials sent medical workers to the county.

On Sunday, Gov.Abbott announced U.S. Navy teams will go to South Texas to provide medical assistance, including the hospital in Starr County.

Still, the new committee will be necessary, officials say. The hospital transfers COVID-19 patients daily to other counties and even out-of-state, but those hospital beds are filling up, Vasquez said.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
OMG there was a previous photo, and it's been photoshopped by Darth:

EdsnUZxUcAA4nS2

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
looking at 2004 numbers too - kerry/bush was somewhat similar in the summer of 2004 as clinton/trump in 2016. both polled in the low or mid 40s, but bush had somewhat decent approvals at the time (45-49). it was still competitive until about september when bush ran away with it. i wonder if there's truly a point of no return where the momentum is too great to overcome. the conventions are late in august and generally provide a bump to the respective candidates - would that basically be the end of any major shifts other than tightening?

the only thing that i sideye is seeing polling for trump at 40-43 anywhere when the national vote came in at 46 and disapproval has generally maxed out around 54-55. i mentally tack on 2-4 points for him and 1 for biden whenever there's still 7 that are unallocated.

Oct 25, 2017
they're going after her as a rising star so she'll be clinton'd by the 2030s or 2040s if/when she does run. but i think by then the older boomer crowd that's scared of her in such numbers may not be around to vote against her.

Frankly that concern seems pretty unwarranted right now. Firebrand reps don't have a great track record getting into the White House.

OMG there was a previous photo, and it's been photoshopped by Darth:

EdsnUZxUcAA4nS2

The hell was that photographer doing with that shutter speed? I wouldn't put a Reuters tag on it.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
These "MAKE BABY TRUMP FEEL BETTER" events having big trucks and baseball players visit the White House is the saddest shit.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
An article on the subject:
www.politico.com

Florida Democrats recoil at Karen Bass VP float

The California congresswoman’s past comments about Fidel Castro "are troubling," said one lawmaker in the nation’s largest swing state.
That seems... extremely mild, but yeah I guess the Cuban American dynamics in Florida can be complicated. If she checks a lot of other boxes, I'm not sure those comments should rise to the level of outright dumping her.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
If I was Biden I would disband that whole stupid operation on like my second or third day.

there was a sentiment made by John Oliver, that I wanna echo here. there is a small chance that he is doing this Space Force crap because he wants to eventually own the moon.

*sigh* every day we grow closer to living to the reality of the Space Force TV show

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
The background history of the state isn't all that relevant given current conditions on the ground right now.

Yes, it typically polls closely and is firmly in the swing state category, but there are very real, very serious reasons why it is not polling closely in 2012. That state is literally the worst COVID Hotspot on the planet and both Trump AND DeSantis' favorability have fallen off a cliff because of it.

Gore and Hillary losing it by slim margins in wildly different social and economic conditions don't override that.

Yeah. This Florida PTSD is nonsense. There's nothing special about Florida. There were just like, 4 50-50 coin flips in the last twenty years that all came up Republican. That's a 1/16th chance. With 50 states, at least one state is going to go Against you in multiple close races in a row - it's just probability.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
That Karen Bass statement is precisely why you do thorough vetting of VP candidates. She should be off the list immediately when you've got other qualified candidates out there. Take absolutely zero risks with Florida for this election.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
"We're in the middle of a global pandemic, skyrocketing unemployment, massive protests against police brutality and Trump is absolutely destroying this country piece by piece. So why not vote Biden?"

"because his VP once referred to Castro in a nice way"

??? Florida politics are insane.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
"We're in the middle of a global pandemic, skyrocketing unemployment, massive protests against police brutality and Trump is absolutely destroying this country piece by piece. So why not vote Biden?"

"because his VP once referred to Castro in a nice way"

??? Florida politics are insane.

Underselling how much of an issue that causes in FL.
Can't really just tell older Cuban blocks of voters to just get over it or anything.
But then again older cohorts were probably not voting for dems anyway.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Underselling how much of an issue that causes in FL.
Can't really just tell older Cuban blocks of voters to just get over it or anything.
But then again older cohorts were probably not voting for dems anyway.
That's kind of my take. How many older Cuban American voters were going to be voting for any Dem in any circumstance anyway? Maybe it is more about a turnout play and motivating them to show up for Trump I guess. But I don't see many that were going to ever vote for a Dem in general.

Feb 14, 2018
Separating NASA out into their own military branch is fine, though I would prefer that they be removed from the military entirely. Space Force is among the least of my concerns.
NASA is not part of the military. Its funding comes from non-defense discretionary spending.

Space Force is a spinoff of the space operations of the Air Force. The space policy wonks I know were of the opinion that a spin-off would be beneficial, but that a "Space Corps" (comparable to the Marine Corps in scope) would be better than an entirely new "force."

Last edited:

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
looking at 2004 numbers too - kerry/bush was somewhat similar in the summer of 2004 as clinton/trump in 2016. both polled in the low or mid 40s, but bush had somewhat decent approvals at the time (45-49). it was still competitive until about september when bush ran away with it. i wonder if there's truly a point of no return where the momentum is too great to overcome. the conventions are late in august and generally provide a bump to the respective candidates - would that basically be the end of any major shifts other than tightening?

the only thing that i sideye is seeing polling for trump at 40-43 anywhere when the national vote came in at 46 and disapproval has generally maxed out around 54-55. i mentally tack on 2-4 points for him and 1 for biden whenever there's still 7 that are unallocated.

Biden's VP is a question mark that could help his ticket a bit or hurt it if he screws it up. Might open up some lines of attack.

Shouldn't be a real bounce for either after the conventions considering they're scaled down.

The debates certainly shift momentum, or a health issue for either candidate (particularly Biden).

COVID & the economic fallout will dominate the news for at least the next couple months so it's hard for me to imagine a purely political attack on Trump/Biden breaking through that.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
NASA is not part of the military. Its funding comes from non-defense discretionary spending.

Space Force is a spinoff of the space operations of the Air Force. The space policy wonks I know were of the opinion that a spin-off would be beneficial, but that a "Space Corps" (comparable to the Marine Corps in scope).
My understanding was that NASA was part of the Air Force. Maybe I got things mixed up.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I cannot emphasize enough how Duckworth is such a slam dunk pick for VP. Just perfection.

I'm still haunted by the choice of Tim Kaine, so my pessimism is leading me to believe she won't be the choice.

Feb 14, 2018
Already existed, though. USAF Space Command.
It's not just a new name. It's a reorganizing of the command structure. They are no longer under the umbrella of the Air Force.

My understanding was that NASA was part of the Air Force. Maybe I got things mixed up.
Yeah, NASA is the civilian space agency. The military contracts them for certain things but they are a separate organization. As Sobriquet said, USAF Space Command was part of the Air Force. That was the 'space' branch of the military, which is completely separate from NASA.

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
That Karen Bass statement is precisely why you do thorough vetting of VP candidates. She should be off the list immediately when you've got other qualified candidates out there. Take absolutely zero risks with Florida for this election.

Duckworth, Harris, Rice, Warren are all still great picks.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot emphasize enough how Duckworth is such a slam dunk pick for VP. Just perfection.

I'm still haunted by the choice of Tim Kaine, so my pessimism is leading me to believe she won't be the choice.
Kamala and Tammy definitely make the most sense. Karen Bass just doesn't seem likely, there isn't much name recognition there.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Its been completely gutted and drained of its top talent

Much like every other institution

Honestly we already had more desirable private sector options for top level government employees but Trump made the choice even easier

Is that the reason why? I didn't realize how the CDC was drained out of its top talent but it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.