• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Daniel Dale @ddale8

Hannity asked Trump what America will look like four years from now if he is re-elected. Transcript of the reply:

12:09 AM · Jul 24, 2020

OOLdcOs.png

Last edited:

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017

"According to a highly placed source in Sacramento, Coelho, whose 10-year stint included many atop the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, has been in close contact with the Bass camp. The source told the Globe that Coelho told another person that Biden's folks told Bass it's her or Duckworth."

Idk whether to believe this.

Bass has been one of my stealth picks for a while since I found out about her on articles about the darkhorse candidates for Biden's VP, just because she was one of the few black women with sufficient years of experience in politics and progressiveness that would be attractive to many Democrats.

After reading about her, I was convinced she would be at least on the B-list of Biden's VP nominees.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
She is. How is Trump going to win again, which will absolutely delight her, if he blows all that money?

As the narrative around the Trump slips further into the abyss, and his polling suffers dramatically, Haberman has been more apt to report on the cracks of the admin. He's served his purpose for her, and it'll be time to suck up to another newsworthy figure for access soon enough.

She can't wait to get that book money. The first draft was probably already written and sent to her agent.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Kyle Kondik @kkondik

Loeffler is the epitome of the phrase "trying too hard"

Conor Sen @conorsen

You pick the woman to win back "suburban housewives" because she's going to...fight to keep bases named after Confederates.

13eesr2.png

10:34 PM · Jul 23, 2020
10:37 PM · Jul 23, 2020

Kelly Loeffler @KLoeffler

As the daughter and granddaughter of veterans, I was proud to stand with @TomCottonAR to fund our military and provide pay raises to the men and women who keep America safe. Nothing is more important to me than backing those who put their lives on the line to protect ours.

I have been clear from the beginning that we do NOT need to rename our bases and I will work with @realDonaldTrump to remove this provision once and for all.

We can't let political games distract us as we strengthen our military, enhance national security, and support our American heroes. We must put America first.

10:12 PM · Jul 23, 2020

The Washington Post @washingtonpost

Senate passes defense bill by veto-proof majority, despite Trump's warnings over Confederate-named bases

10:46 PM · Jul 23, 2020

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I think Florida Democrats are going to do whatever they can to have bass not be the VP

If people thought Bernie's comments "praising Castro" were going to cost us Florida...

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Haberman seems personally offended by this lol

Haberman was also the reporter who Don Jr and Guilfoyle fed bullshit to that they were gonna drive from South Carolina to Florida after testing positive there. She reported that as if that's exactly what would happen. Lo and behold, they lied and flew charter plane instead.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know much about her, but why would Bass put FL in jeopardy?
I don't know the extent of the comments but she apparently used some supposedly endearing term Castro's supporters called him when he died. Which I think if Bernie got in trouble for saying Cuba had a good literacy program I imagine that will likely become a big talking point.

I remember Shalala feeling the need to make some sort of statement "i invite Bass to come here and please talk to the Cubans who had their lives ruined by Castro so they can teach you about how wrong the thing you just said was." Or whatever. I don't think she would have said something or called her out unless it was bad.

Last edited:

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I don't know the extent of the comments but she apparently used some supposedly endearing term Castro's supporters called him when he died. Which I think if Bernie got in trouble for saying Cuba had a good literacy program I imagine that will likely become a big talking point
Interesting. Would certainly be good to know and hopefully it's part of the vetting process.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

abcnews.go.com

Biden holds early edge in ABC News’ Electoral College race ratings: ANALYSIS

Former Vice President Joe Biden holds a discernible Electoral College advantage over President Donald Trump, according to ABC News’ initial general election ratings.

Former Vice President Joe Biden holds a discernible -- though not insurmountable -- Electoral College advantage over President Donald Trump, with multiple paths to the presidency but little margin for error, according to ABC News' initial ratings for the 2020 general election.

With this weekend marking 100 days to Election Day, ABC's race ratings place 279 electoral votes as either solidly or leaning Democratic -- slightly more than the 270 electoral votes needed to secure the presidency. Another 72 electoral votes are rated as toss-ups, while 187 are either solidly or leaning Republican

eOdSKrS.png

----------------------

Hz6wNKq.jpg

Trump plays catch at a White House event to celebrate the opening day of Major League Baseball.
Photograph: Drew Angerer/Getty Images

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why potentially running up the score now can pay dividends later on down the road:

Here's the entire thread quoted for ease of use:
Trump's lead among white voters has all but vanished. Anything like it threatens longstanding GOP structural advantages

It's not easy to imagine the consequences of this kind of demographic shift, but they are potentially very significant. For illustrative purposes, consider a simple simulation: apply the shifts in national polls to our post '16 estimates of the result by group
Nationwide, this yields the following result:
Biden+10, 54-44
Whites 46-52
...col+ 59-39
...no col 37-61
Black 90-9
Hispanic 63-35
plausible enough for illustrative purposes
By state, these estimates yield results that look a lot like recent polls (though keep in mind that, unlike this simulation, national shifts would undoubtedly manifest in non-uniform and unpredictable ways by state):
MI Biden+10
WI +10
PA +9
FL +6
NC +6
AZ +4
The next-tier of states also looks quite a bit like state polls, though the Democratic weakness among Hispanic voters in national polls (which I'm not sure I expect to last and may not materialize in TX) barely blocks blue TX
ME-2 Biden+2
OH +2
IA +1
GA +1
TX Trump+1
All of this shouldn't be too surprising. More surprising is what comes next:
AK Trump+4
UT Trump+5
SC Trump+7
MT Trump+7
KS Trump+8
MO/IN Trump+9
As cautioned earlier, individual states will defy national trends in significant ways, esp weird ones like AK/UT. But this creates risk for the GOP: it wouldn't take much more for a few to be really competitive, even if, for the same reasons, one or two might remain solid Trump. Obviously it doesn't matter too much whether Biden flips AK or something. But it may matter a lot downballot: four of those states feature plausibly competitive Senate races, and extra Senate flips would matter a lot for Democrats.

As an aside, the 2022 Senate map does not feature many competitive Democratic-held races, and if Dems could get to 53+ seats they'd have a very serious path to hold the Senate through 2024 and a hypothetical midterm wave

The consequences for the GOP in the House might be equally alarming, as Biden carries more than 250 congressional districts in this scenario At this point, Biden gains among white voters really do reach, if barely, the 'busted gerrymander' point in OH/TX/MI.

Biden wins several of the Trump +10 or more districts that keep popping up in private polls, like IN05, MO02, TX21, etc. But he also wins districts that aren't getting much attention, perhaps because they're not overly heavy on college grads, like AZ06, OH10, MI06, FL16

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Very surprised to see that nobody is talking about the politicized decision by the CDC to push to reopen schools while cases are going up. It's disgraceful.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
NBC going easy on stooge Birx and even spouting trump lies. They are really trying their best to legitimize this monster in order to tighten the polls.

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017

abcnews.go.com

Biden holds early edge in ABC News’ Electoral College race ratings: ANALYSIS

Former Vice President Joe Biden holds a discernible Electoral College advantage over President Donald Trump, according to ABC News’ initial general election ratings.
Former Vice President Joe Biden holds a discernible -- though not insurmountable -- Electoral College advantage over President Donald Trump, with multiple paths to the presidency but little margin for error, according to ABC News' initial ratings for the 2020 general election.
With this weekend marking 100 days to Election Day, ABC's race ratings place 279 electoral votes as either solidly or leaning Democratic -- slightly more than the 270 electoral votes needed to secure the presidency. Another 72 electoral votes are rated as toss-ups, while 187 are either solidly or leaning Republican

eOdSKrS.png

Current 538 polling averages along with these race designations by ABC News

Lean D states
Minnesota - Biden +10.9
Michigan - Biden +7.6
Pennsylvania - Biden +7.5
New Hampshire - Biden +7.4 (Note: almost no polling)
Wisconsin - Biden +6.8
Nevada - Biden +6.6 (Note: almost no polling)

Tossup
Florida - Biden +7.5
Arizona - Biden +2.8
North Carolina - Biden +2.2
Georgia - Trump +1.4

Lean R states
Ohio - Biden +2.0
Texas - Totally even, +0.0
Iowa - Trump +0.4
Alaska - Trump +2.0
Montana - Trump +9.0

Based on polling averages Ohio, Texas, and Iowa should be tossups quite frankly. And Florida lean Democrat.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see the GOP's Labor Day deadline roll around and seeing so many Republicans start eating each other.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Lean D states
Minnesota - Biden +10.9
Michigan - Biden +7.6
Wisconsin - Biden +6.8

Tossup
Florida - Biden +7.5
Arizona - Biden +2.8
Georgia - Trump +1.4

Lean R states
Ohio - Biden +2.0
Iowa - Trump +0.4
Alaska - Trump +2.0
Montana - Trump +9.0

Based on polling averages Ohio, Texas, and Iowa should be tossups quite frankly. And Florida lean Democrat.

On what planet is a Biden 7.5+ state a toss-up? This stinks of game playing with narratives because putting Florida in the D column means the race is basically over.

Oct 25, 2017
On what planet is a Biden 7.5+ state a toss-up? This stinks of game playing with narratives because putting Florida in the D column means the race is basically over.

Hillary was up by about that much in some states that she did lose (Wisconsin). The margins of error are pretty huge this far out, and it is really really hard to say whether a +7.5 in July corresponds to a 5%, 10%, 20%, or 35% chance of losing, and where the cutoff between Lean and Toss-Up lies.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hillary was up by about that much in some states that she did lose (Wisconsin). The margins of error are pretty huge this far out, and it is really really hard to say whether a +7.5 in July corresponds to a 5%, 10%, 20%, or 35% chance of losing, and where the cutoff between Lean and Toss-Up lies.
Hillary at no point in the race had consensus leads in multiple states for this long or wide of a margin.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT

Lean D states
Minnesota - Biden +10.9
Michigan - Biden +7.6
Wisconsin - Biden +6.8

Tossup
Florida - Biden +7.5
Arizona - Biden +2.8
Georgia - Trump +1.4

Lean R states
Ohio - Biden +2.0
Iowa - Trump +0.4
Alaska - Trump +2.0
Montana - Trump +9.0

Yeah I don't understand their decisions on a lot of these states. Are they afraid to move more out of toss up?

Oct 25, 2017
Hillary at no point in the race had consensus leads in multiple states for this long or wide of a margin.

www.realclearpolitics.com

RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - Wisconsin: Trump vs. Clinton

RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - Wisconsin: Trump vs. Clinton

Wisconsin 2016.

I'm talking about specific states, and how large the error margins are.

It isn't about consensus leads and duration. That was Sam Wang's mistake in 2016, using the lower volatility of the race during the early portions as justification for less volatility in the future. That's really bad modeling practice.

Biden is a clear, overwhelming favorite to win. But coming up with a specific prediction for Florida (an overkill state) is hard.

Yeah I don't understand their decisions on a lot of these states. Are they afraid to move more out of toss up?

Categories and predictions are often a combination of previous outcomes and current polling. At least for 538, there's an expectation for mean-reversion, so there's more "pressure" towards previous circumstances.

Last edited:

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Lean D is apparently such a capacious designation that it can be used to categorize Nevada at 6.6% and Minnesota at 10.9%, nearly double that.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
So happy so.eone is throwing these haymakers

If Dems were making these, the Repubs along with a subsection of Dems would start crying about "civility". Fence-sitter Republicans would also just ignore them if they were made by Libs.
I'm glad these exist and I'll worry about never-Trumpers after Trump and Trumpism is gone.

Are any Lincoln Project ads actually on TV?

Yes. They play on FOX in the DC area so he sees them. They got him to waste $400,000 buying ad time in the DC area so he could see "positive" ads about himself. They've been very successful at getting into his head and setting up camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.