• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, the Tea Party was mostly rich right-wing groups astroturfing. And then they lost control of it to the crazies.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the person thinks the Intercept is good and refers to everyone to the right of Mao as Neoliberal there's a good chance they're "rose twitter".

Especially if the endlessly complain about working within the democratic party. That's a dead giveaway. This point usually means you will often find revolutionary types as well...and tankies.

May 26, 2018
If the person thinks the Intercept is good and refers to everyone to the right of Mao as Neoliberal there's a good chance they're "rose twitter".

Especially if the endlessly complain about working within the democratic party. That's a dead giveaway. This point usually means you will often find revolutionary types as well...and tankies.

So what would that be? Left Wing "Tea Party" types and neo-Stalinists?

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't they worried that by cutting unemployment benefits and tear gasing protesters that they are essentially creating an insurmountable narrative?

Even the most critical of Biden will now see this and want to vote against Trump. This does nothing but help Biden.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
To me it seems like a portion of them arrived at being Leftists simply because it grants then a moral high ground as well as being an outsider politically.
DING DING DING

They do it because it's easier than all the dirty, complicated work of governing and dealing with all the grey realities of our world.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Kyle Kondik @kkondik

Crystal Ball: 8 House rating changes, almost all benefiting Ds:

Changes explained, plus overall assessment: http://centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/house-rating-changes/…

229 seats at least lean D, 193 at least lean R, and 13 Toss-ups. Splitting the Toss-ups seven to six D would yield a one-seat D gain from 2018

C2RLDiA.png

6:30 AM · Jul 23, 2020

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Can I ask something of you guys: with Trump sending in the DHS to cities to "control violence" - are we sure that we can have safe, stable elections?

I feel like the only way to overcome the supression is by insuring massive amount of people go out to vote in Person.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
apnews.com

Politics drive views of US response to 2 Oregon standoffs

BOISE, Idaho (AP) — When armed protesters took over a remote wildlife refuge in eastern Oregon four years ago to oppose federal control of public lands, U.S. agents negotiated with the conservative occupiers for weeks while some state leaders begged for stronger action.
BOISE, Idaho (AP) — When armed protesters took over a remote wildlife refuge in eastern Oregon four years ago to oppose federal control of public lands, U.S. agents negotiated with the conservative occupiers for weeks while some state leaders begged for stronger action.
This month, federal officers sent to Portland to quell chaotic protests against racial injustice took swift and, some say, harsh action: launching tear gas, firing less-lethal ammunition and helping arrest more than 40 people in the first two weeks. State leaders are imploring federal forces to leave the progressive city, saying they're escalating a volatile situation.
The reaction from state leaders, protesters and anti-government groups to the U.S. response to two disparate situations shows the inconsistencies in how both sides view federal intervention, often based on the politics of who's protesting and who's cracking down.
J.J. MacNab, a fellow at George Washington University's Program on Extremism, said many right-wing extremists who espouse anti-government and pro-gun views have embraced the authoritarian tactics used by President Donald Trump that they denounced under his Democratic predecessor.
"It's like night and day," she said. "They hated government when Obama was in office. They love government now."
MacNab, who's been monitoring social media chatter by supporters of anti-government groups like the Oath Keepers and the militia-style Three Percenters, said she's seen a steady stream of violent rhetoric directed toward Portland protesters.
MacNab said the Oath Keepers in 2015 promoted a conspiracy theory that a U.S. military training exercise was a pretext for the federal government to impose martial law.
"They are literally 180 degrees from where they were in 2015," she said.

More in the link.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Latest poll of Florida: Joe Biden 50%, Donald Trump 44%
A new survey shows Joe Biden's support on the rise in the Sunshine State.

If the presidential election were held today, 50% of Florida voters would pick Biden and 44% would vote for Donald Trump, according to fresh numbers from St. Pete Polls. Another 2% of voters plan to vote for a third-party candidate while 3% remain undecided.

The poll was conducted for Florida Politics and AARP Florida on July 13 and 14. Pollsters report a margin of error of 1.8%.

Biden's 6% lead falls comfortably outside the margin of error.
https://floridapolitics.com/archive...eads-in-florida-with-more-than-50-of-the-vote

Another day, another Florida poll with Biden winning by more than 5.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

One thing explains all the dizzying infighting on both sides of the Capitol and with the White House down the street Trump is losing The GOP fears going down with him — and they're scrambling to take their positions for the fight over what's left

The battles this week were a microcosm of the broader reckoning over the party's future and how strong the populist tenets of Trumpism will hold after the president leaves office. The fractures are emerging now because of worries that the party faces doom at the polls this fall owing to Trump's handling of the pandemic and his resulting falling poll numbers against presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden.

At the Capitol on Wednesday, Republican lawmakers acknowledged that nervousness about November was fueling the tensions. "It always happens that way," said Sen. Pat Roberts (R-Kan.), a retiring lawmaker whose would-be GOP successors are locked in their own intraparty brawl ahead of the Aug. 4 primary in the state. "People fuss and feud and fight and whatever — then after the election, they love each other."

Yet the Republican infighting is spreading beyond policy disputes on the Hill.

Republicans in Dissarray?

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Aren't they worried that by cutting unemployment benefits and tear gasing protesters that they are essentially creating an insurmountable narrative?

Even the most critical of Biden will now see this and want to vote against Trump. This does nothing but help Biden.
You're making the mistake of thinking these people are politically savvy. They're not. A lot of them have maintained power on the back of racism, white identity politics, fear, and Democrats being incompetent--not because they're good at messaging or even have policies people like.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017

Kyle Kondik @kkondik

Crystal Ball: 8 House rating changes, almost all benefiting Ds:

Changes explained, plus overall assessment: http://centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/house-rating-changes/…

229 seats at least lean D, 193 at least lean R, and 13 Toss-ups. Splitting the Toss-ups seven to six D would yield a one-seat D gain from 2018

C2RLDiA.png

6:30 AM · Jul 23, 2020

I'm shocked that Chip Roy is in a remotely competitive seat, considering how awful he is.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
"Why spend a fuck ton of money to help Trump if it isn't helping him and only going to hurt my ability to claim I care about financial conservatism" basically. Ted seems particularly struck with this

If they pass a second round of stimulus how are they going to criticize whatever a Biden administration does?

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
You're making the mistake of thinking these people are politically savvy. They're not. A lot of them have maintained power on the back of racism, white identity politics, fear, and Democrats being incompetent--not because they're good at messaging or even have policies people like.
I understand that, but right now they are poking the bear. They are literally energizing the democrat base. Trump is playing a dangerous game where he's openly attacking the Left in a way where they will show up in larger numbers to vote.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
It always depressed me how effective the Tea Party was back in 2010-2014 in controlling elections.

Meanwhile the Occupy Wall Street movement of around the same time was absolutely toothless and accomplished nothing.

Tea Party was made up of old people.

OWS was made up of young people.

One of those age groups actually shows up to vote.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Do you think the youth will show up to vote in this next election? seems like sending in troops to cities is a great way to piss them off.

Yes, I do. IIRC, they showed up in the Wisconsin special elections after the state supreme court tried to rig them by refusing to shut them down. Also, cutting unemployment benefits is going to affect them hard.

The worse news for republicans that seniors always show up, and the party is hemorrhaging that age group of voters right now.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Another problem causing identity crisis right now is that these stimulus bills are showing basic income is better than Tax cuts and trickle up is a more effective way to stimulate the economy than trickle down

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, now Mary Trump has a pineapple behind her in the background. Is this the new symbol of the resistance? I'd say maybe a never-Trumper thing, but she's a Dem.

(No, I don't actually think this means anything. It's just funny.)

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I see Trump is still going on about his dementia test and is not self-aware enough to realize that being asked to take a dementia test is not a good thing. He clearly thinks it's an IQ test.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I see Trump is still going on about his dementia test and is not self-aware enough to realize that being asked to take a dementia test is not a good thing. He clearly thinks it's an IQ test.

What I don't get about it is that even with the Trumpiest of Trumpsters, none of them are sitting around talking about how he passed a cognitive test. It doesn't appeal to anyone.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, now Mary Trump has a pineapple behind her in the background. Is this the new symbol of the resistance? I'd say maybe a never-Trumper thing, but she's a Dem.

(No, I don't actually think this means anything. It's just funny.)
My SO's sister has a pineapple at the end of her Twitter name and is very involved in the resistance as a public defense lawyer. I wondered if that had any political significance or not like the Roses.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
What I don't get about it is that even with the Trumpiest of Trumpsters, none of them are sitting around talking about how he passed a cognitive test. It doesn't appeal to anyone.

He's a narcissist so he has to prove he's best at everything. He also has cognitive decline either from a heart attack/stroke or dementia and is at the phase where he knows it and is trying to convince himself otherwise. He probably talks about this test all day long.
Also, anyone who has dealt with dementia patients knows that they fixate on things.

My SO's sister has a pineapple at the end of her Twitter name and is very involved in the resistance as a public defense lawyer. I wondered if that had any political significance or not like the Roses.

Well, a pineapple would make a better president.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Most of what hes doing doesnt appeal the 65% of the country.

People have concluded he fucked up the CV response.

People have concluded he fucked up the BLM situation and the heavy handed police stuff.

People dont like the idea of federal "police" going into cities that dont want them.

He really only has his MAGA brainwashed folk left at this point and outside Biden like having a stroke on a debate stage, o dont see how he gets people back.

Even a vaccine wouldnt be enough cause nobody would see that as something he himself did.

And man if there are football games, the negative ads that are going to be ran against him will be BRUTAL. A 30sec summary of the last 3.5 years would look horrible

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
apnews.com

Politics drive views of US response to 2 Oregon standoffs

This month, federal officers sent to Portland to quell chaotic protests against racial injustice took swift and, some say, harsh action: launching tear gas, firing less-lethal ammunition and helping arrest more than 40 people in the first two weeks. State leaders are imploring federal forces to leave the progressive city, saying they're escalating a volatile situation.
The reaction from state leaders, protesters and anti-government groups to the U.S. response to two disparate situations shows the inconsistencies in how both sides view federal intervention, often based on the politics of who's protesting and who's cracking down.
J.J. MacNab, a fellow at George Washington University's Program on Extremism, said many right-wing extremists who espouse anti-government and pro-gun views have embraced the authoritarian tactics used by President Donald Trump that they denounced under his Democratic predecessor.
"It's like night and day," she said. "They hated government when Obama was in office. They love government now."
MacNab, who's been monitoring social media chatter by supporters of anti-government groups like the Oath Keepers and the militia-style Three Percenters, said she's seen a steady stream of violent rhetoric directed toward Portland protesters.
MacNab said the Oath Keepers in 2015 promoted a conspiracy theory that a U.S. military training exercise was a pretext for the federal government to impose martial law.
"They are literally 180 degrees from where they were in 2015," she said.

More in the link.
One benefit is that those guys can never say they're against government force with a straight face.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I googled what the pineapple could mean (if anything) and did come across this:

news.yahoo.com

Surprising meaning behind the pineapple explained

Social media symbols like the pineapple and rainbow could reframe pregnancy complications as pink ribbons did for breast cancer.

Even if it is unrelated that is something I never knew and I found it fascinating.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The only good thing about a Kennedy primary win is that it doesn't put a Senate seat in danger. I hope Markey survives, but I'm not optimistic.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
"Why spend a fuck ton of money to help Trump if it isn't helping him and only going to hurt my ability to claim I care about financial conservatism" basically. Ted seems particularly struck with this

If they pass a second round of stimulus how are they going to criticize whatever a Biden administration does?
Shamelessly.

Honestly, they've never hesitated to be hypocrites before. We've got to remember that. Dems care about that stuff, but the GOP don't. If they get stomped in November, and a supreme court seat opens up the day after the election, they're going to rush to fill it even though that is 100% counter to everything they said in 2016. They don't care.

They're going to immediately start demanding Biden not spend a penny without offsetting it somehow, BUT NOT BY TAXES, the day he takes office, should he win.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
DING DING DING

They do it because it's easier than all the dirty, complicated work of governing and dealing with all the grey realities of our world.
I don't think this is always fair. I can definitely see the apathy creeping in here in France now that it is looking to be Macron v Le Pen yet again. If it stays that way our participation will probably crater to levels like it is in the US. Some people are actually just burnt out by American politics and this discourse isn't any more helpful than theirs. It seems like the "left" in the US really hates other factions of itself more than they do republicans.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

They don't actually care about fiscal conservatism. Every Republican president spends much more than anyone else. they also tank the economy. Their criticisms, like their policies, belong in the nearest trash can.

Status
Not open for further replies.