• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Literally during the Iowa caucus run-up they introduce everyone speaking at what used to be the Jackson/Jefferson dinner as "THE NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES"

I'm also pretty sure in the Indiana primary in 2008 before I saw Obama speak they introduced him as the next President as well.

there was also this cover from time magazine in 2006:

1101061023_400.jpg

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
This is a really great editorial from a really great guy:

"There's so much more to be addressed than just opening the doors and sending them back home," my mother tells me over the phone. Now 82 and retired, she runs down a list of concerns based on her 35 years of experience: "masks and distancing, temperature checks, crowded busing, crowded hallways, sports, air-conditioning systems, lunchrooms, public restrooms, janitorial staff." Most schools already struggle from a lack of resources; how could they possibly afford the mountain of safety measures that will need to be in place? And although the average age of a schoolteacher in the United States is in the early 40s, putting them in a lower-risk group, many career teachers, administrators, cafeteria workers, nurses, and janitors are older and at higher risk. Every school's working faculty is a considerable percentage of its population, and should be safeguarded appropriately. I can only imagine if my mother were now forced to return to a stuffy, windowless classroom. What would we learn from that lesson? When I ask what she would do, my mother replies, "Remote learning for the time being."
Every teacher has a "plan." Don't they deserve one too? My mother had to come up with three separate lesson plans every single day (public speaking, AP English, and English 10), because that's what teachers do: They provide you with the necessary tools to survive. Who is providing them with a set of their own? America's teachers are caught in a trap, set by indecisive and conflicting sectors of failed leadership that have never been in their position and can't possibly relate to the unique challenges they face. I wouldn't trust the U.S. secretary of percussion to tell me how to play "Smells Like Teen Spirit" if they had never sat behind a drum set, so why should any teacher trust Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos to tell them how to teach, without her ever having sat at the head of a class? (Maybe she should switch to the drums.) Until you have spent countless days in a classroom devoting your time and energy to becoming that lifelong mentor to generations of otherwise disengaged students, you must listen to those who have. Teachers want to teach, not die, and we should support and protect them like the national treasures that they are. For without them, where would we be?
Lovely and poignant piece.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really great editorial from a really great guy:

Edit: Even as far back as the primaries, every candidate speaks in the language of "When I am president, when I take office," etc. Confidence in your ability to win is baked into politics.

Great editorial...but from some of the stuff I've heard from people who knew Dave Grohl earlier in his career...it's difficult for me to say he is a "really great guy".

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

Inbox: Texas Q-Poll coming at 1

corona, Abbott approval, Senate, presidential, Confederate symbols

Federal unemployment benefit ends Saturday. DeSantis 'not following' Congress on that.

For hundreds of thousands of Floridians, federal unemployment payments have been a lifeline during the coronavirus pandemic.

Those payments are set to expire Saturday. Yet when asked whether Congress should extend them, Gov. Ron DeSantis avoided answering the question during a Tuesday news conference.

"I haven't been following what they're doing," he told a reporter.

A spokeswoman for the governor did not respond when asked the same question by the Times/Herald on Monday.

Whether to extend the federal $600-per-week benefits is one of the most pressing issues facing Congress, which reconvened this week with a focus on debating another coronavirus relief package.

If Congress doesn't extend the benefits, more than 20 million Americans could lose a crucial benefit without a job to return to. Over the last four months, up to 1.7 million Floridians have received more than $8 billion in those federal payments.
l

We're really in for it, I don't understand how the GOP don't see the fucking red lights and sirens blaring and don't shit themselves in a panic.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2...if-covid-19-bill-will-pass-end-next-week-when
McConnell Laughs When Asked If Covid-19 Bill Will Pass by End of Next Week—When Unemployment Benefits Expire for 30 Million

Last edited:

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

Republican responds to calling a colleague "disgusting" & a "f—ing b*tch" w/ "I cannot apologize for my passion" and blaming others. I will not teach my nieces and young people watching that this an apology, and what they should learn to accept. Yoho is refusing responsibility.
Put that sack of shit on blast.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
Screenshot_20200722-113446_Instagram.jpg

The white moderate is a strange breed

I'm in white-moderate land (southwestern PA), and I'd assume the argument here is that most people still believe that the police are a net-good and necessary, but that reform is the solution rather than doing away with police funding or cutting departments/officers entirely. As for the statue thing, I think most are for removing confederate statues and ambivalent towards Columbus, but are against removing statues of, say, Washington, Jefferson, etc. (i.e. any of the founding fathers). I'm curious as to how the poll is defining the statue issue.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

that's a bit reductive of a comment and understates a big problem in progress. The whole article is sobering to say the least. Over half of Hispanic people polled oppose removing Confederate statues and 52% of hispanic people polled shifting police resources.

reality is most people don't care about what doesnt affect them personally.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in white-moderate land (southwestern PA), and I'd assume the argument here is that most people still believe that the police are a net-good and necessary, but that reform is the solution rather than doing away with police funding or cutting departments/officers entirely. As for the statue thing, I think most are for removing confederate statues and ambivalent towards Columbus, but are against removing statues of, say, Washington, Jefferson, etc. (i.e. any of the founding fathers). I'm curious as to how the poll is defining the statue issue.
Was going to say the same as far as statues go. No real percentage of the population is for removing founding fathers and no serious people have said anything about it, besides republicans trying to change the narrative. Hopefully the poll has a proper question here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
that's a bit reductive of a comment and understates a big problem in progress. The whole article is sobering to say the least. Over half of Hispanic people polled oppose removing Confederate statues and 52% of hispanic people polled shifting police resources.

reality is most people don't care about what doesnt affect them personally.
The moderate is a strange breed

Fixed

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
The moderate is a strange breed

Fixed

still quite wrong. People are rarely if ever consistent in all aspects of their beliefs. Tribalism leads to tunnel vision. Be critical of everyone including progressive allies.

a large majority of Black Americans are what would be called moderate with a small minority leaning conservative and a smaller minority conservative, and, yet, the same problem typically doesn't happen with Black Americans (aside from the latter two on some issues to varying degrees based on which of the two groups you're talking about).

(For more clarification, the divide is more likely not on politics but ingrained unconscious (or conscious in the case of right wingers) colorism across the spectrum)

Last edited:

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Defunding the police is a political goal most Americans haven't heard until a month and a half ago.
We have seen a dramatic shift in public opinion on this issue, I think more than anything, the protests (both this and earlier rounds) did this.
Maybe a few more police station has to get burned for people to see this issue more clearly, but that poll is mostly encouraging to me.

p.s.
69% supports BLM. The WaPo is burying 2 ledes there.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I've got no energy to be annoyed at the press falling for Trump reading off a piece of paper again.

Because he'll revert to standard behavior as always, and they'll revert to criticizing him.

It's a good thing he has started advocating for mask usage. It won't shield him from blame for all the people who died and got sick because it took him so long, and it'll hopefully help less people get sick and die.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
how many stormtroppers does the DHS have, and what are they neglecting in order to do this shit?

www.lawfareblog.com

Department of Homeland Security Law Enforcement Agencies Require Expanded Oversight

The potential for expanded interior Homeland Security law enforcement activity raises questions about whether components of the department being called upon are subject to appropriate training, preparation and accountability.

It includes agencies like the TSA, CPB, USCIS, Law Enforcement Training Center, the Coast Guard, etc. Anything related to international travel, border protection, and border enforcement.

Operational and Support Components | Homeland Security

A listing of all Operational and Support Components that currently make up the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

As the above article mentions, these agencies were never designed for anything like what they'll be tasked to do, and none of these agents and officers will have any idea what they're doing or how to do it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

I've got no energy to be annoyed at the press falling for Trump reading off a piece of paper again.

Because he'll revert to standard behavior as always, and they'll revert to criticizing him.

It's a good thing he has started advocating for mask usage. It won't shield him from blame for all the people who died and got sick because it took him so long, and it'll hopefully help less people get sick and die.
Honestly I think it is a mute point at this point. The people know trump, and they know his pattern.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

www.lawfareblog.com

Department of Homeland Security Law Enforcement Agencies Require Expanded Oversight

The potential for expanded interior Homeland Security law enforcement activity raises questions about whether components of the department being called upon are subject to appropriate training, preparation and accountability.

It includes agencies like the TSA, CPB, USCIS, Law Enforcement Training Center, the Coast Guard, etc. Anything related to international travel, border protection, and border enforcement.

Operational and Support Components | Homeland Security

A listing of all Operational and Support Components that currently make up the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

As the above article mentions, these agencies were never designed for anything like what they'll be tasked to do, and none of these agents and officers will have any idea what they're doing or how to do it.
I'm not sure their orders aren't 'hit the protesters with your sticks, and maybe pepper spray them'.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Team Trump desperately wants to make this election about statues and defunding the police. Do not fall into their trap. They want to change the narrative and distort the words of people asking for progress.

Dems can fix a lot of this shit without making it an issue that we have to constantly explain.

The biggest issue of the 2020 election should be why Trump let 150,000 Americans die from a preventable cause.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Team Trump desperately wants to make this election about statues and defunding the police. Do not fall into their trap. They want to change the narrative and distort the words of people asking for progress.

Dems can fix a lot of this shit without making it an issue that we have to constantly explain.

The biggest issue of the 2020 election should be why Trump let 150,000 Americans die from a preventable cause.

Biden's been pretty smart on that front. He's been making the election about the economy and the coronavirus response thus far.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Wouldn't all this DHS stuff encourage even MORE people to vote? This has a chance of wildly back firing

Yes, pretty much yes.

I....I dont see, hear or even think they have any game plan anymore to hold to whatever they have in a few months

The wheels are falling off and they are hurtling towards the brick wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.