• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
I think this ad buy reflects Biden's strategy pretty well. Go hard after North Carolina and Arizona, while making more symbolic plays at Georgia, Texas, etc.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I think he would know if it was ok or not. That's the entire reason he has credibility to lend in the first place.

He personally reviewed all the leagues plans and how they would operate. The nba just reported zero out of four hundred players tested positive since they've gotten in the bubble this week. If the players and staff follow the rules they are much safer than the average person will be right now

Plus baseball is easy to social distance as a sport. Not a lot of spit flying during practice (which is the big issue for football; can't play without training camp, can't do training camp without infection).

Trump's handlers will tell him Oxford is in Alabama, an overwhelmingly Trump state.

There's an Oxford, AL and Oxford, MS (where Ole Miss is, with a top pharmaceutical research facility). I could totally see him saying that's where it came from.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this ad buy reflects Biden's strategy pretty well. Go hard after North Carolina and Arizona, while making more symbolic plays at Georgia, Texas, etc.

It should be noted that I don't think these are all solely TV ads. Living in PA, I haven't watched TV in... a long time. And I've been seeing a lot of Biden ads on YouTube lately. Kinda reminds me of all the Trump ads I saw way back in 2016.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
There's no part of me that really expects Trump to be prosecuted for much of anything post presidency. I mean his lackeys will probably get some heat on them, but his businesses and those main supporters I fully expect to just walk free of issues due to fears of it setting some odd precedent that no one will ever cross again anyway.
There will be state AGs and DAs eager to have his scalp for a career making trophy, maybe he won't go to jail like he should but he's not getting out unscathed. At the least he'll be drowning in lawsuits probably til his death.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Georgia considered only a "symbolic" possibility? Every decent pollster has them within a few points.
And Georgia is definitely way further along on its march towards purple and then blue than Texas. It's held back by its deep corruption in elections, Texas is held back by its apathy to voting in general (and corruption too of course), I feel like the former would collapse in the face of a changing demographic before the latter. Not to mention two Senate seats in play there, more so than the one in Texas is.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't know why I even bother to still read political threads over on EtcEra with their "What if Trump won't leave!?" fearmongering...

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017

Fucking hate this racist piece of shit and all his supporters. And cultist idiots like fucking Abbott will most likely support this measure even though it would negatively effect their state. And not to mention that there is absolutely no way to determine the accurate number.

What this achieves unfortunately is meat fodder for the base and possible leads to fewer people participating in the census, which was the goal all along with the racist citizenship question.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely violates the 14th amendment, but I feel like the goal is to delay the case all the way to the Supreme Court until the damage is already done.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
When is the census actually technically counted? Like would the Biden administration have time to undo whatever affects this would have?

Also, unless there is something that I'm not aware of there isn't a way to tell if anyone is or is not a citizen with the census. All it asked as the number of people living in a household and their demographics, nothing about citizen status. This could I guess make undocumented immigrants less likely to submit a census but the process has also been going on for awhile and a lot of them could have already submitted.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
It feels like Trump forgot that his racist citizenship question didn't make it onto the census form. That was obviously supposed to be step one to today's step 2. Without that question he can make up any ridiculous number he wants but there will be no way to verify that legally even if he did win in the courts which he won't.

This is so ridiculous

Almost as if Saul Goodman made it

I have desire to give a Trump ad clicks, just give me the cliff notes on how racist it gets.

Oct 29, 2017
It feels like Trump forgot that his racist citizenship question didn't make it onto the census form. That was obviously supposed to be step one to today's step 2. Without that question he can make up any ridiculous number he wants but there will be no way to verify that legally even if he did win in the courts which he won't.

I have desire to give a Trump ad clicks, just give me the cliff notes on how racist it gets.

Old woman sitting at home watching Fox News (which actually uses audio from a Hannity broadcast, which is problematic in its own right).
TV saying Biden wants to defund the police. Shadowy figure lurking in the background. Old woman reaches for phone to call 911.
911 doesn't answer cus lol the dems got rid of police dispatchers.
Shadowy figure breaks in and immediately smacks grandma with their crowbar. You don't get a good look at the figure.
"I'm donald trump and I approve this message".

It's stupid.

Bizarrely she reaches for the phone to call 911 before even seeing someone trying to break in or lurking about her home. She just "hears" something outside from the other side of the house lol

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

No insight how this is all being accomplished, but given the current circumstances, the speed of the courts challenging the memo and generally the bold levels of just not giving a fuck is still worrisome. Challenges to this will win obviously, but in the meantime what falls out the memo seems like a big ?.

Also newsrooms softening blatantly racist rhetoric will never get fixed before this sack is out.

Also,

just dumb, but please go ahead and try to spin a defense on statues or something.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Why is Georgia considered only a "symbolic" possibility? Every decent pollster has them within a few points.

Basically every one of the states Biden's buying time in is more democratic that Georgia. I'd like to see them push harder there because of the senate races but if Biden wins there he will already be President by a decent margin.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't know why I even bother to still read political threads over on EtcEra with their "What if Trump won't leave!?" fearmongering...
I hear ya, I just utilized the ignore thread button once again. Don't think I'd get banned over this particular issue, like Tara Reade, but I'm not gonna tempt myself.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Old woman sitting at home watching Fox News (which actually uses audio from a Hannity broadcast, which is problematic in its own right).
TV saying Biden wants to defund the police. Shadowy figure lurking in the background. Old woman reaches for phone to call 911.
911 doesn't answer cus lol the dems got rid of police dispatchers.
Shadowy figure breaks in and immediately smacks grandma with their crowbar. You don't get a good look at the figure.
"I'm donald trump and I approve this message".

It's stupid.

Bizarrely she reaches for the phone to call 911 before even seeing someone trying to break in or lurking about her home. She just "hears" something outside from the other side of the house lol
That's actually a lot more reserved than I'd expect from the Trump campaign but I suppose even YT has it's limit when it comes to racist propaganda posing as a political ad.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm confused about how exactly this is supposed to happen. There is no citizenship question right? So how do they know who's illegal in order to exclude them

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure they will delay until it's already done.

I think at the end of the day, the issue is that the Democratic leadership just generally agree with Republicans on defense spending. They all act like they don't, and they'll pick symbolic fights around base names and such, but on the actual issue they are generally in agreement, and they often get into competitions about who can give more money to the pentagon love the troops more by

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
So, thread for what we're probably actually looking at in this census, it's a bit long but it includes the justifications they're arguing and what their eventual endgoal might be. Likely teeing up the ball for states to appoint via citizen voting age population vs total pop.

It's a little involved but it includes a SCOTUS case that was knocked down a bit ago, but left open by Alito and Thomas.
Check the thread. The overall goal basically looks like a super long, tough argument where states might eventual redistrict in more favorable terms for GOP minorities. Again I'm still a bit confused as to the whole reason for this so late, but this makes way more sense if you read through it and understand that this is basically just a step towards a longer goal. I'm trying to find more about this now since it seems really interesting.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Again?? Just wait a day. FFS.
So I guess we are at the point where the media will normalize the fact that trump is calling it the 'china virus' just because the coronavirus press briefings are returning and because he finally decided that wearing a mask is a good thing (he really didn't).

How many chances will the media continue to give to this inhuman racist psychopath.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I guess we are at the point where the media will normalize the fact that trump is calling it the 'china virus' just because the coronavirus press briefings are returning and because he finally decided that wearing a mask is a good thing (he really didn't).

How many chances will the media continue to give to this inhuman racist psychopath.
Should be clear it's an infinite amount at this point

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
I am fine with any journalist writing a "Trump pivots toward a new tone/attitude/etc." piece in 20 fucking 20 being sacked for incompetence. It is an insult to the media-consuming public and just objectively stupid punditry at this point.

May 26, 2018
I am fine with any journalist writing a "Trump pivots toward a new tone/attitude/etc." in 20 fucking 20 being sacked for incompetence. It is an insult to the media-consuming public and just objectively stupid punditry at this point.

A startling percentage of journalism has always existed to foster hot takes in support of national self-harm...

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I am fine with any journalist writing a "Trump pivots toward a new tone/attitude/etc." piece in 20 fucking 20 being sacked for incompetence. It is an insult to the media-consuming public and just objectively stupid punditry at this point.
I'm definitely fine with Rick Klein getting sacked for incompetence given that it's been him making these "new tone" pieces for the past 5 fucking years

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I don't think Trump's supposed new tone won't last the week. Hell, he'll probably go back to his old ways by tomorrow when the media calls him out on whatever lies he tells at his Corona Virus briefing.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't think Trump's supposed new tone won't last the week. Hell, he'll probably go back to his old ways by tomorrow when the media calls him out on whatever lies he tells at his Corona Virus briefing.

I guarantee it won't even last for today's conference. Trump CANNOT change. It's been tried hundreds of times by folks in his inner circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.