• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The GOP plan has no second stimulus check, but the Dem plan that got passed a couple of months ago has one, and IMO, there will be one.

1. Trump will want to send out another check with his scribble that stands in for a signature on it.
2. Pelosi's going to demand it.

I wouldn't take much of anything that McConnell has talked about seriously because Pelosi's going to go around him. Mnuchin will push for a payroll tax cut and shielding from liability, Pelosi will push for local and state $$$, extended UI, another stimulus check, and probably $$$ for USPS.

They'll both agree on extending PPP.
I hope you're right that negotiations will go smoothly enough for checks to go out before the end of summer at the very latest.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping the goal of things like this Kasich stuff is to widen the gap between the two sides that will eventually be fighting for the Republican Party if Trump loses. The Democratic Party should be looking for ways to create irreconcilable differences between these two sides anyway they can without letting them influence policy. Right now, I just see the progressive wing of the Democratic Party assisting with the policy making which is good.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017

The man with quite literally a mountain of support from house dems and establishment figures all around the Democrat party decries the fact that he burned himself alive through his own actions and the voters called him out on it. But sure, unity is at stake here folks

Cancel Culture gets another one! His thought crime was *checks notes* saying that he didn't care about his constituents.

oh.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope you're right that negotiations will go smoothly enough for checks to go out before the end of summer at the very latest.

I think they will because the last negotiations between Mnuchin and Pelosi went well enough considering who Pelosi had to negotiate with; further, Trump knows that he's in trouble and will gladly try to goose his poll numbers with another check.

I could be wrong, but that's my guess. I don't love Meadows being in the negotiation room, but Mnuchin actually seems willing to negotiate. It could be worse.

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN

Manu Raju
@mkraju
Jul 20, 2020

Senate Finance Chairman Chuck Grassley not a fan of adding payroll tax cut to GOP recovery plan. He said direct payments are more effective. "I think when a person has a check in his hand ... I think that's going to do more economic good than if we dribble out $30 every paycheck"

Manu Raju
@mkraju
"Because people are going to notice it and maybe take some action as a result," Grassley said of checks. Asked if he's open to both stimulus checks and a payroll tax break, Grassley said: "I don't think you can fit them in the approximate" price tag of $1 trillion.
4:13 PM · Jul 20, 2020

Manu Raju
@mkraju
Jul 20, 2020

Replying to @mkraju
Grassley also warned about how the public may perceive such a cut -- since enacting such a tax break would impact the Social Security trust fund. Grassley said that even though Congress would replenish the fund, people would think Washington is "raiding it."
https://twitter.com/mkraju?ref_src=.../iframe/2/twitter.min.html1285306847302422528
Manu Raju
@mkraju
"People would think that we're hurting Social Security funds when we're really not," Grassley said, explaining why he thinks it could be a "public relations problem."
4:13 PM · Jul 20, 2020

He'll go along with it of course but funny he acknowledged it. Would've preferred he penned a tweet, they always give me a chuckle.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

He'll go along with it of course but funny he acknowledged it. Would've preferred he penned a tweet, they always give me a chuckle.

Gentleman from Texas:

John Bresnahan @BresPolitico

.@JohnCornyn calls a payroll cut being pushed by White House "problematic" and raises concerns about Social Security & Medicare funding: "I think it's problematic because obviously the trust funds for Social Security & Medicare are on their way to insolvency."

/2 Cornyn also noted that when a payroll tax cut ends, "You raise taxes on people. I'm not in favor."

/3 Cornyn also supported additional federal funding for coronavirus testing, which the White House has balked at including in new GOP proposal. A number of Senate Republicans have pushed back on this issue

4:24 PM · Jul 20, 2020

Hedge

Oct 26, 2017

GOP have to cave in areas as they need Dems to pass this. This can't even pass the senate without Dem support, let alone the House. Schumer and Pelosi have been working together throughout this so Schumer won't leave Pelosi out to dry. If Pelosi says no, Schumer won't give it the support it needs to even have a chance in passing the senate

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Republicans still have the balls to act like they have some type of leverage after all that's happened speaks to how delusional they are. Dems shouldn't cave an inch to these fucks.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that Republicans still have the balls to act like they have some type of leverage after all that's happened speaks to how delusional they are. Dems shouldn't cave an inch to these fucks.
Well there is a reason why they waited until the last minute. They expect Dems actual compassion towards people and their own lack of compassion to be all the leverage they need. They are a bunch of psychopaths.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Well there is a reason why they waited until the last minute. They expect Dems actual compassion towards people and their own lack of compassion to be all the leverage they need. They are a bunch of psychopaths.

It seemed to work flawlessly before Trump damned it all to hell with his shutdowns. Now they're in a situation where Pelosi is perfectly fine not budging while the attack dogs in the House get the message out about Republican obstruction.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

Looks like prosecutors are going to force the governor's hand if he's really going to pardon.
Have fun with that

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Reading between the lines, it sounds like the general GOP Congresspeople want a stimulus check.

3CellPO

Banned
Jul 13, 2020

The man with quite literally a mountain of support from house dems and establishment figures all around the Democrat party decries the fact that he burned himself alive through his own actions and the voters called him out on it. But sure, unity is at stake here folks

Sure thing Droopy. I bet that makes you mad...

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
It seemed to work flawlessly before Trump damned it all to hell with his shutdowns. Now they're in a situation where Pelosi is perfectly fine not budging while the attack dogs in the House get the message out about Republican obstruction.
Yup . I also think that it wont play out the way they expect it to

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I think anything short of another round of checks and extending the UI benefits is DOA. They can probably get away with reducing the added UI benefits but there's gotta be some give there.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Julie Tsirkin @JulieNBCNews

Graham tells me he supports a payroll tax cut "means tested". Q: Who else in your conference supports it? GRAHAM: "I don't know. Good question."

6:11 PM · Jul 20, 2020

------------------------------

Annie Karni @anniekarni

Follow the $$. As Trump Slumps in Polls, Republican Donors Look to Save the Senate - Via ⁦@ShaneGoldmacher

6:07 PM · Jul 20, 2020

Shane Goldmacher @ShaneGoldmacher

NEW: Sheldon and Miriam Adelson gave $25 million to the main Senate GOP super PAC, the Senate Leadership Fund on 6/15

The Adelson money comes a bit earlier than his past giving but was not unexpected amid intensifying talk among donors of the need to protect the narrow Senate GOP majority

6:14 PM · Jul 20, 2020

www.nytimes.com

As Trump Slumps, Republican Donors Look to Save the Senate (Published 2020)

Senators and donors worry that with President Trump in trouble and the House probably out of reach, the Senate could be their last chance to hold power in Washington.
President Trump's weak poll numbers and a surge of Democratic cash flooding key Senate races have jolted top Republicans and intensified talk among party donors and strategists about redirecting money to protect their narrow Senate Republican majority amid growing fear of complete Democratic control of Washington in 2021.
Almost no one is talking openly about abandoning Mr. Trump at this point. A total collapse at the top of the ticket, Republican strategists and donors agree, would only make holding the Senate harder.
But maintaining the Senate is an urgent imperative for the G.O.P.: A Democratic Senate could offer a glide path for liberal Supreme Court nominees from a President Biden, or block Mr. Trump's judges if he won a second term. And right now, Senate Republican incumbents and candidates are losing badly in the money chase not just in the top Senate battlegrounds — states like Maine, Arizona, Colorado and North Carolina — but also in deep red states, such as Montana, where seats are now increasingly up for grabs.
Five of the most endangered Republican senators up for re-election were out-raised by a combined $18.5 million in the second quarter by their Democratic challengers, recent campaign filings show.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Shane Goldmacher @ShaneGoldmacher

NEW: Sheldon and Miriam Adelson gave $25 million to the main Senate GOP super PAC, the Senate Leadership Fund on 6/15

The Adelson money comes a bit earlier than his past giving but was not unexpected amid intensifying talk among donors of the need to protect the narrow Senate GOP majority

6:14 PM · Jul 20, 2020

www.nytimes.com

As Trump Slumps, Republican Donors Look to Save the Senate (Published 2020)

Senators and donors worry that with President Trump in trouble and the House probably out of reach, the Senate could be their last chance to hold power in Washington.
President Trump's weak poll numbers and a surge of Democratic cash flooding key Senate races have jolted top Republicans and intensified talk among party donors and strategists about redirecting money to protect their narrow Senate Republican majority amid growing fear of complete Democratic control of Washington in 2021.
Almost no one is talking openly about abandoning Mr. Trump at this point. A total collapse at the top of the ticket, Republican strategists and donors agree, would only make holding the Senate harder.
But maintaining the Senate is an urgent imperative for the G.O.P.: A Democratic Senate could offer a glide path for liberal Supreme Court nominees from a President Biden, or block Mr. Trump's judges if he won a second term. And right now, Senate Republican incumbents and candidates are losing badly in the money chase not just in the top Senate battlegrounds — states like Maine, Arizona, Colorado and North Carolina — but also in deep red states, such as Montana, where seats are now increasingly up for grabs.
Five of the most endangered Republican senators up for re-election were out-raised by a combined $18.5 million in the second quarter by their Democratic challengers, recent campaign filings show.

Rich Democrat megadonors seem to be missing in action right now...

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
House Dems need to get $400 a week UI and another round of $1200 checks. Do the payroll cut too, who cares. Mitch doesn't give that a vote then go back I guess to $300 and $1k. Continued until he'll put it up.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For those worried about Democrats and what leverage they have in these negotiations... don't.

Didn't talk to a single GOP senator today who supported the WH position on testing grants/CDC/NIH funding. Also can count on one hand the GOP senators enthused about a payroll tax cut. Lot of work ahead for the Senate GOP/White House stimulus proposal...

It's Infrastructure Week again...

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The news media destroyed his last briefing to a point where they would cut away from it before it was over and then talk about how stupid he was.
That's good atleast. Hopefully that continues on.

Joy Reid's show is stacked tonight. Biden just finished up and Hillary is up next.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Manu Raju @mkraju

Senate GOP not on the same page with WH over some key parts of their party's recovery plan. Thune on tying school money to reopening: "I don't think that's a particularly good idea personally. I think it's better to let the school districts and local officials decide what's best"
Top Republicans push back on Trump's call for payroll tax cut in next stimulus http://cnn.com/2020/07/20/politics/payroll-tax-cut-republicans-trump/index.html…Via @mkraju @ckmarie
7:13 PM · Jul 20, 2020

emptywheel @emptywheel

Meanwhile the President's top priority is killing social security -- because if you've already killed health insurance what do you have to look forward to?

H) However, advocates in the administration believe the payroll tax would jolt the economy quickly.​
"That will be in there," said one senior source close to the talks of the payroll tax, characterizing it as the President's "number one ask."​

6:29 PM · Jul 20, 2020

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Post-Parscale grift bus rolling out:

Will Steakin @wsteaks

NEW: Trump campaign announces Women for Trump bus tour through Maine and New Hampshire starting Wednesday The events will feature @LaraLeaTrump,
@mercedesschlapp, @KatrinaPierson, and @PamBondi

r6pGS6W.png

7:24 PM · Jul 20, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.