• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017

JFC. First, we don't know fully what long term effects this virus has on our bodies, young or old. Second, even if what he said was true and there was literally no issue for kids getting the virus, they live and interact with adults and elderly folks who they will infect and fuck up. This guy is a blithering idiot.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
I think when schools open up we're going to have a lot more of these covid related autoimmune disease cases in kids, that we've seen in New York and other places with a high covid caseload.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

Rose Twitter is going to explode from all the hot takes

I mean, Kasich is kind of shit even if he can come off as a "decent" Republican. I believe he signed a harsh anti-abortion bill and was the original defendant for Obgerfell.

He just talks nicely like pre-Trump GOP. Like the Lincoln project, for now he may be useful. But I want nothing to do with him afterwards. Hold his ass to the fire too.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They going to introduce Kasich and the lights will go out only to come back on with Mitt Romney in Crow makeup and a trench coat

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
He's also the least polarizing option to show that Biden is capable of bringing Republicans unhappy with Trump into his coalition. Pretty good all around, I'd say.
Also good from a pure primate dominance perspective: Kasich turned down Trump's offer to not just make him VP, but to put Kasich "in charge of domestic and foreign policy" with Trump as a figurehead. I bet a ton of regular voters haven't heard that particular story, and it could be memorably damning to hear it told in a convention speech, because it effectively underscores what a weak, rejected, rudderless freak Donald is.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
I mean, Kasich is kind of shit even if he can come off as a "decent" Republican. I believe he signed a harsh anti-abortion bill and was the original defendant for Obgerfell.

He just talks nicely like pre-Trump GOP. Like the Lincoln project, for now he may be useful. But I want nothing to do with him afterwards. Hold his ass to the fire too.

He is undoubtedly a shit, but at this point, unlikely though it may be, I'd much rather have that old Republican party back than the flesh beast that it has turned into now.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I cannot believe the stupidity. The bit on John Oliver last night about conspiracy theories, and this very overweight (which I mention because of his increased risk) dude in a hospital bed from covid saying on camera,

"I thought it was maybe the govt was trying something, like kind of, like they threw it out there to distract us."

WHAT????

He now admits it's real and says his wife has been on a ventilator for three weeks.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

DHS Acting Secretary on the pushback to their crackdown in Portland, Oregon: "I don't need invitations by the state, state mayors or state governors to do our job. We're going to do that whether they like us there or not."

Very cool, nothing like rolling into a city and smashing on citizens with impunity.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
How much Kasich really matters on his own isn't much of the point. Hillary did not get a single endorsement like that. Not one. The fact that there are some relatively well known republicans actually saying they are going to vote for him and that other people should too is just the continuation of a good trend

Hillary completely failed to make the cross the isle pitch for the "good of the country", because basically zero republicans could bring themselves to do it. Joe Biden is just a better vessel for that strategy because a lot more seem to think he's fine

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
Coronavirus briefings are back:

Trump says U.S Coronavirus briefings will begin again tomorrow. Trump will lead the televised briefings beginning at 5pm.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Trump says U.S Coronavirus briefings will begin again tomorrow. Trump will lead the televised briefings beginning at 5pm.

Because there's a vaccine to pump. Oxford and AstraZeneca out with positive news today about their vaccine producing positive results in all test subjects with no serious side effects, on to large scale phase 3.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Who the fuck let Trump start these again?

Edit:

Because there's a vaccine to pump. Oxford and AstraZeneca out with positive news today about their vaccine producing positive results in all test subjects with no serious side effects, on to large scale phase 3.

This is definitely why.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
Kasich speaking at the convention is pretty gross. I understand the political calculus, but at some point you have to draw a line in the sand. For the people that are okay with this, where is that line? For example, if Bush wanted to speak at the convention for Biden, would people accept that because it's good political points and shows he can cross the isle?

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
They going to introduce Kasich and the lights will go out only to come back on with Mitt Romney in Crow makeup and a trench coat

Romney's in the the middle of his speech when the lights go out again.

BONG. BONG. BONG.

An organ starts playing and the lights come back on, a resurrected John McCain is now standing directly behind Romney.

"Mah god, it's John McCain. It's McCain back from the dead. As god as my witness, he's back from the dead!"

R-money and McCain stare down each other for a minute, sizing each other up. Then, shoot out their hands and clasp each other in a show of solidarity. Then, McCain points to the Titantron over the stage.

Diamond Joe's visage pops up, aviators reflecting the bright lights of the stadium. "Donald Trump, your chance of being re-elected this November? No chance in HELL!" Pyrotechnics go off.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Kasich speaking at the convention is pretty gross. I understand the political calculus, but at some point you have to draw a line in the sand. For the people that are okay with this, where is that line? For example, if Bush wanted to speak at the convention for Biden, would people accept that because it's good political points and shows he can cross the isle?

If I had polling in Texas that showed Bush would swing the vote there 2 or 3% it would absolutely be worth having him speak. The real question is how much voters are persuaded by public endorsements anymore.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I think these are the general parameters that define whether a problematic endorsement is worth signal-boosting:

A) is the person only going to be exclusively discussing the issues you agree with, and won't be bringing up, say, anti-LGBT stuff or union-busting

B) do you sincerely expect this will help you get some certain helpful goal eg winning Ohio, forcing the GOP to waste money in Ohio, etc; or at least doesn't hurt your goals.

I think it is reasonable to suspect that Kasich at the convention does meet both criteria, while, say, Bernie getting Joe Rogan's endorsement generally met A but wasn't particularly helpful on B. I believe Republicans generally though Zell Miller at the 2004 GOP convention met both, and also with Joe Lieberman speaking at the 2008 GOP convention.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
There's literally nothing wrong with Kasich speaking at the Dem convention. Biden's not changing his platform towards him at all. It's an endorsement of the choice in this election.

Erpy

May 31, 2018

The line would be Biden making policy concessions to never-Trump Republicans in exchange for endorsements. As long as that doesn't happen and there's the chance it draws reluctant Republican voters away from Trump, I don't care who they bring out to continue sapping percentage points from Trump or at least force him to spend money to avoid sinking further.

Status
Not open for further replies.