• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No I'm agreeing with you here. The margins are so huge that it would be a colossal fuck up of epic proportions if pollsters are completely wrong. This is becoming closer and closer to the Taiwan elections where the question is less "is Kuomintang going to lose?" but rather "how badly is Kuomintang going to lose by? 10 points, 20 points?"

It might have implications in more swingy states like Texas (can't believe we're saying this), Arizona (can't believe we're saying this too) and North Carolina, however.
I won't believe Texas is a swing state until I see it play out in November. I hope Biden doesn't try and run the table again. To his credit, it doesn't seem like he's going to fall for the trap.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
I won't believe Texas is a swing state until I see it play out in November. I hope Biden doesn't try and run the table again. To his credit, it doesn't seem like he's going to fall for the trap.
It's only a swing state in this election because of Trump, and Biden is doing fine focusing on what he needs to and adding more states in. There are important races in play in TX and Georgia that need money and to ride the coattails of the huge anti Trump fervor. This is not like 2016 and taking the wrong lessons from 2016 does nothing to help

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
If Biden is up 6 in the south, Florida is likely Biden now, no?

Not to mention the whole upcoming "Trump forced your grandchildren back to school during a pandemic so they could bring COVID-19 home to their grandparents" debacle.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
If Biden is up 6 in the south, Florida is likely Biden now, no?

Not to mention the whole upcoming "Trump forced your grandchildren back to school during a pandemic so they could bring COVID-19 home to their grandparents" debacle.

edit: excuse me for misreading and then trying to correct you. i did not think it was that big of a swing from a major trump lead to a respectable biden one.

i don't think trump's led a florida poll in the last month or so. the best result's been a tie, with biden usually over a +5 mark, which would mean there'd have to be a pretty big margin of error, especially as he's getting 50% or more in half of those polls.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
If they don't have an airtight case showing serious wrongdoing, I would think that would backfire big league.
It'll back fire regardless, if they time that for Friday before the election.

It's going to enrage people and drive them to the poles to vote Trump out.

Even republicans know it's bullshit, and they don't ever want a Comey 2.0 announcement again.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
A 5 point bump from RV to LV is ridiculous. Just goes to show how much more success democrats would have if their voters just showed up to vote. And the face that there are Dem trifecta states that still don't make voting easier is ridiculous. All dem states can move to the Colorado model and they don't is a failure of the democratic party.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
A 5 point bump from RV to LV is ridiculous. Just goes to show how much more success democrats would have if their voters just showed up to vote. And the face that there are Dem trifecta states that still don't make voting easier is ridiculous. All dem states can move to the Colorado model and they don't is a failure of the democratic party.
The names are fairly self-explanatory. But are likely voters a subset of registered voters, or vice-versa? Never really understood the gap.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Whatever Barr tries to do will backfre but its depressing to think such tactics would have worked on Hillary. Biden meanwhile is immune to all their bs and is winning effortlessly.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's only a swing state in this election because of Trump, and Biden is doing fine focusing on what he needs to and adding more states in. There are important races in play in TX and Georgia that need money and to ride the coattails of the huge anti Trump fervor. This is not like 2016 and taking the wrong lessons from 2016 does nothing to help
It doesn't seem like anyone has taken any lessons from 2016, to be honest. But that is okay and it doesn't matter because it's a once in a lifetime pandemic and you could probably put a box with a Che Guevara sticker up and still win against Trump right now. What does seem inevitable is that people will take the wrong lessons from 2020. I'd bet money that if a pandemic had not happened Biden would have lost.

But in any case, my postulations (and everyone else's) on an alternate election don't matter and what-ifs aren't really pertinent to right now. I just still don't think Texas is a swing state and unless I am misremembering, many others here have echoed my hesitation. I would love to be surprised, though. But like I said in my last post - I'm not particularly worried, Biden seems to have his eye on the ball and to have learned from Clinton's campaign errors.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Too little, too late. The Comey letter wasn't the start of some scandal, it was one last reminder of a longtime pounded in "scandal" after decades of smearing of Clinton, coming in a very close race. It confirmed or reaffirmed long held notions by the public about her, a last minute stunt by zero credibility Barr against well liked mild mannered Biden will not land the same.

Yeah, they can't come up with a new "scanda"l that close to the election - especially one involving Hunter because no one gives a fuck except people already in the bag for Trump. Those suckers need time to breathe and percolate through the right-wing media system and out into the MSM. With Hillary, it worked because we'd been hearing about buttery emails, Benjamin Ghazi, Whitewater, and "SHE WON'T BAKE COOKIES?!" since the 90's.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't seem like anyone has taken any lessons from 2016, to be honest. But that is okay and it doesn't matter because it's a once in a lifetime pandemic and you could probably put a box with a Che Guevara sticker up and still win against Trump right now. What does seem inevitable is that people will take the wrong lessons from 2020. I'd bet money that if a pandemic had not happened Biden would have lost.

But in any case, my postulations (and everyone else's) on an alternate election don't matter and what-ifs aren't really pertinent to right now. I just still don't think Texas is a swing state and unless I am misremembering, many others here have echoed my hesitation. I would love to be surprised, though. But like I said in my last post - I'm not particularly worried, Biden seems to have his eye on the ball and to have learned from Clinton's campaign errors.
I would qualify this: Trump is being sunk not by the pandemic per se, but by his horrific mismanagement of the pandemic. It seems like most leaders around the world have benefited from a "rally round the flag" effect — there are even leaders who've managed COVID badly and come out ahead politically, like Boris Johnson. Trump's utter, sociopathic incompetence is the part that's once-in-a-lifetime.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

So much for the right-wing talking point that "pediatricians want schools to open."

Do they think a bunch of sick/dead kids and dead parents and teachers, etc... is going to help them somehow? Hell, there only has to be ONE dead child linked to school openings being reported on the news and people will flip the fuck out - and rightly so.
DeSantis is actively trying to kill people, and I'm really trying to wrap my head around their end game here. Why would this bizarre death-cult response to the virus convince ANYONE but super-loons to vote GOP ever again?
Can Florida recall DeSantis? He's killing them.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
"I don't care what the military says."

Donald Trump from Chris Wallace interview.

Also, what in the world?

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I would qualify this: Trump is being sunk not by the pandemic per se, but by his horrific mismanagement of the pandemic. It seems like most leaders around the world have benefited from a "rally round the flag" effect — there are even leaders who've managed COVID badly and come out ahead politically, like Boris Johnson. Trump's utter, sociopathic incompetence is the part that's once-in-a-lifetime.

Also, given that Trump won by the narrowest of margins and 2018 had the Midwest snap back hard to the Democrats, I don't think Trump was in a great position to begin with.

Oct 28, 2017

Holy shit, Wallace is good haha.

Oh man, this is going to be the most painful thing imaginable isn't it.

Wow... LOL
I bet Trump is going to tear into FOX on Twitter. I'm surprised FOX is airing this.

Parts of Fox News have been surprisingly hard on the Republicans lately. Some of them are just economic conservatives so have no love for the pure culture war they're waging here, some are desperately trying to drum into the GOP's head that not dealing with the coronavirus will kill their election chances. I don't think they're into journalistic integrity all of a sudden, its all self motivated.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
That Fox poll has Trump up 3 with whites with college degrees. I'm a bit skeptical on that one.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

Chris Wallace pressed Trump on how he wrongly claimed the virus would just disappear. Trump: "I'll be right eventually. I will be right eventually."

That Fox poll has Trump up 3 with whites with college degrees. I'm a bit skeptical on that one.

Seems very dubious. I can't think of any poll he's been ahead in that category. His anti-science nonresponse to Corona makes me highly skeptical about that number.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

tenor.gif

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Trump treating a cognition test designed to test for mental incapacitation like it is the SATs is so him.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
The names are fairly self-explanatory. But are likely voters a subset of registered voters, or vice-versa? Never really understood the gap.

Likely voters screens are *mostly* a subset of Registered voter screens, but not entirely. The criteria for a registered voter screen is super straightforward because it's a boolean question. Usually, to pass a likely voter screen you also need to be registered, but some pollsters and in some states (e.g. where same day registration is allowed), will ultimately count some number of enthusiastic respondents as LV even if they're not yet registered

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
No one but Trump ever said this.

Trump blaming his public health experts for the false statements he's been making for months. "Everybody thought in the summer it would go away and it would come back in the fall...They used to say the heat - the heat was good for it, remember? They got that one wrong."

Status
Not open for further replies.