• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
If anything like what's happening in Portland happened during a Dem presidency you'd have armed white militia's on the streets of major cities across the country.

Oct 26, 2017
If anything like what's happening in Portland happened during a Dem presidency you'd have armed white militia's on the streets of major cities across the country.

I say everyone of these protestors need to get armed and open carry.

why?

it solves 2 problems.

A. IT becomes ALL risk for gestapo tactics, theres no reward.

B. it'll force the racists that have been preventing gun control to enact gun control measures.

C. sub problem, solved. Open carry would no doubt be outlawed.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
We had 8 years with him and none of this happened. They really have nothing.

Internal White House document lays out strategy to cast Biden as dystopian threat to America.

President Trump has launched a slash-and-burn campaign against an exaggerated caricature of his Democratic opponent, casting former vice president Joe Biden as a destroyer of basic freedoms and a threat to voter's safety who would "let terrorists roam free" and "abolish the American way of life."

His new dystopian vision, with militant and extreme language not typical in American politics, marks a sharp departure from Trump's previous effort to cast Biden as "Sleepy Joe," an establishment politician with deteriorating mental abilities. It marks the latest effort, orchestrated by the Trump's advisers, to shift the conversation from rising coronavirus infections and deteriorating public support for the president's pandemic response.
In new advertising, tweets and public statements that began to appear earlier this month, Trump has argued that the presumptive Democratic nominee is a harbinger of chaos and destruction, depicting a fantastical scarecrow largely divorced from reality.

Good luck with that.

Apple

Oct 27, 2017
Has a single person who has been detained popped up again to describe what happened? Or has no one heard from any of these people since?

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Has a single person who has been detained popped up again to describe what happened? Or has no one heard from any of these people since?

Not a lot of info coming out. From this story:

www.opb.org

Federal Law Enforcement Use Unmarked Vehicles To Grab Protesters Off Portland Streets

Federal law enforcement officers have been using unmarked vehicles to drive around downtown Portland and detain protesters since at least July 14.

A block west of Chapman Square, Pettibone and O'Shea bumped into a group of people who warned them that people in camouflage were driving around the area in unmarked minivans grabbing people off the street.

"So that was terrifying to hear," Pettibone said.

They had barely made it half a block when an unmarked minivan pulled up in front of them.

"I see guys in camo," O'Shea said. "Four or five of them pop out, open the door and it was just like, 'Oh shit. I don't know who you are or what you want with us.'"

"I am basically tossed into the van," Pettibone said. "And I had my beanie pulled over my face so I couldn't see and they held my hands over my head."

Pettibone and O'Shea both said they couldn't think of anything they might have done to end up targeted by law enforcement. They attend protests regularly but they said they aren't "instigators." They don't spray paint buildings, shine laser pointers at officers or do anything else other than attend protests, which law enforcement have regularly deemed "unlawful assemblies."

Blinded by his hat, in an unmarked minivan full of armed people dressed in camouflage and body armor who hadn't identified themselves, Pettibone said he was driven around downtown before being unloaded inside a building. He wouldn't learn until after his release that he had been inside the federal courthouse.

"It was basically a process of facing many walls and corners as they patted me down and took my picture and rummaged through my belongings," Pettibone said. "One of them said, 'This is a whole lot of nothing.'"

Pettibone said he was put into a cell. Soon after, two officers came in to read him his Miranda rights. They didn't tell him why he was being arrested. He said they asked him if he wanted to waive his rights and answer some questions, but Pettibone declined and said he wanted a lawyer. The interview was terminated, and about 90 minutes later he was released. He said he did not receive any paperwork, citation or record of his arrest.

Oct 26, 2017
Not a lot of info coming out. From this story:

www.opb.org

Federal Law Enforcement Use Unmarked Vehicles To Grab Protesters Off Portland Streets

Federal law enforcement officers have been using unmarked vehicles to drive around downtown Portland and detain protesters since at least July 14.
Im thinking GPS transponders might be needed for protestors.
( could be a garmin watch with gps).
when they approach you turn on the GPS feature like your doing a run.

anyone that is friends with you on the app can see exactly where you are on the map. and it saves your route

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017

I say everyone of these protestors need to get armed and open carry.

why?

it solves 2 problems.

A. IT becomes ALL risk for gestapo tactics, theres no reward.

B. it'll force the racists that have been preventing gun control to enact gun control measures.

C. sub problem, solved. Open carry would no doubt be outlawed.
It is very clear what trump wants to see happen. He want this situation to escalate to the point where protesters are openly shooting at law enforcement so that he can go around and say 'see there is your chaos and Biden is responsible' for some reason. The goal is to turn public opinion against the protests and thus in favor of this bullshit claim for 'law and order'

Republicans are so blatantly evil, they don't care about people dying. All they care about is maintaining power. Actually they probably enjoy seeing people die.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not aware yet of reports of people going missing, which is what I'd connect with the sort of disappearances that would be the scariest thing.

The one account of what these federal agents are doing that I'm aware of is the one posted above. If it's any indication, it's pretty telling (and convenient for them) that they drove the guy to a federal courthouse, and let him go without an arrest record as soon as lawyers came up. I hope the response to this is strong enough to keep them from going further.

There is a legal basis behind their presence in Portland, and legal justification for some of their activity, but it's narrow and fragile. This quasi-explainer from Lawfare is something I found pretty useful.

Lawfare said:
Question 3: What authority do these federal officers have to detain and arrest individuals?

Insofar as federal law enforcement officers are enforcing federal law and/or state law on federal property, federal law also provides detention and arrest authorities. Of course, detention and arrest must still comport with the federal Constitution—under which warrantless arrests require probable cause to believe the individual has committed a crime.

Like most states, Oregon does authorize federal officers to enforce state law. Under Oregon Revised Statutes § 133.245, a federal officer may arrest any person "[f]or any crime committed in the federal officer's presence if the federal officer has probable cause to believe the person committed the crime." The statute also provides, however, that "[t]he federal officer shall inform the person to be arrested of the federal officer's authority and reason for the arrest," and that "[a] federal officer making an arrest under this section without unnecessary delay shall take the arrested person before a magistrate or deliver the arrested person to a peace officer." (The statute also allows the federal officer to use the same physical force that a local or state officer would be allowed to use in effectuating the arrest.) In other words, federal law enforcement officers in Portland could have the legal authority to arrest individuals when they have probable cause for violations of federal or state law—but in the latter case, there are statutory notice and transfer requirements that, if media reports are accurate, are not being honored. But the Oregon statute also requires state certification that federal officers have received proper training before effectuating arrests under state law before such arrests can happen. Suffice it to say, it is hardly clear that any of the federal officers have received such certification here.

This is an escalation of the Barr-led federal agency response in DC in June, and they're pushing the envelope on what they can do.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I'll need to find the article. It had quotes from someone that had been arrested by one of the unmarked vehicles.

Edit:
www.cnn.com

US attorney requests DHS investigation after video shows masked, camouflaged federal authorities arresting protesters in Portland | CNN

"This is a fight to save our democracy," said Kelly Simon, interim legal director with the ACLU of Oregon.
Mark Pettibone, a 29-year-old Portland resident, told CNN he was taken by unknown federal agents Wednesday.
"I was kidnapped off the street in my own city for non-violently protesting and showing up in solidarity," Pettibone said. "About four people just out of the van that pulled up in front of me, and my first reaction was I tried to get away."
Pettibone said he was held for about two hours and plans to talk to the National Lawyers Guild, but will follow up with the ACLU.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Elahe Izadi @ElaheIzadi

While so many today view what John Lewis did with reverence, at the time, only 22% of Americans approved of what the Freedom Riders were doing. https://washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/04/19/black-lives-matters-and-americas-long-history-of-resisting-civil-rights-protesters/

tY6kfJj.png

10:38 AM · Jul 18, 2020

----------------------------------------------

Mike Sacks @MikeSacksEsq

It should be noted that the man who wrote this piece was also the intellectual architect behind the second round of legal attacks on Obamacare, a law Lewis not only supported but led a march to celebrate its passage from the Capitol through "libertarian" Tea Party protesters
12:17 PM · Jul 18, 2020

----------------------------------------------

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
The one account of what these federal agents are doing that I'm aware of is the one posted above. If it's any indication, it's pretty telling (and convenient for them) that they drove the guy to a federal courthouse, and let him go without an arrest record as soon as lawyers came up. I hope the response to this is strong enough to keep them from going further.
That's the first and last we'll ever hear from someone grabbed by DHS. The rest will just disappear forever and the government will deny everything and get away with it.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Good luck with that.

>

NPR @NPR

The Biden campaign admits that one of its most effective weapons against President Trump is Trump himself, what he says and how he acts. "When your opponent is destroying himself, don't interrupt," one Democratic strategist agrees.

1:19 PM · Jul 18, 2020

www.npr.org

'Sleepy Joe'? Trump's Insult May Reveal Biden's Advantage

Joe Biden is nowhere near as visible as Donald Trump, and yet polls show the Democrat's numbers overshadowing the president in every key battleground state.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
www.politico.com

Conway on Trump's campaign team: 'I will be there' without leaving White House

Conway was Trump's 2016 campaign manager and was credited with saving a flagging election effort.
Counselor to the president Kellyanne Conway said Friday she expects to play a part in President Donald Trump's reelection effort but stopped short of committing to a reprisal of her role as campaign manager.
Conway, Trump's 2016 campaign chief for the final months leading up to Election Day, has been widely credited with steadying the president's uneven campaign and guiding it to an unexpected victory that November. With Trump's campaign similarly floundering in 2020, the counselor to the president said she expects to be involved in the president's debate prep as she was in 2016.
Asked whether she would be willing to step in again as campaign manager, Conway replied that "I want to be where my best and highest use is for the president."
"I was also the only woman in the debate prep most of the time," the counselor to the president said in reference to her tenure with the 2016 Trump campaign. "And I would expect that even if I have to take vacation time, I will be there as well, because that's going to be must-see TV."

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
>

NPR @NPR

The Biden campaign admits that one of its most effective weapons against President Trump is Trump himself, what he says and how he acts. "When your opponent is destroying himself, don't interrupt," one Democratic strategist agrees.

1:19 PM · Jul 18, 2020

www.npr.org

'Sleepy Joe'? Trump's Insult May Reveal Biden's Advantage

Joe Biden is nowhere near as visible as Donald Trump, and yet polls show the Democrat's numbers overshadowing the president in every key battleground state.

Feel like this should be its own thread,

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love the obvious point that this makes to anyone with two brain cells who understands the economy doesn't change overnight... you have Democrats repeatedly inheriting shit economies from Republicans.

Looking forward to the same chart that shows last three months of each presidency.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

www.theguardian.com

Trump's Fox News Sunday interview will include Biden battleground ads

Democrat will seek to present himself as leader for pandemic-hit US during interview featuring Trump anger over false claim
Joe Biden will run campaign ads during Donald Trump's eagerly awaited interview with Fox News Sunday.
The president sat down with Chris Wallace, one of the most respected US political interviewers, at the White House on Friday, for his first Sunday show interview in more than a year.
A clip showed Trump claiming Biden wanted to defund police, and had included the policy in a compact agreed with Bernie Sanders, the leftwing senator from Vermont who ran the former vice-president closest in the Democratic primary.
To the president's visible anger, Wallace insisted that was untrue.
Now Biden will run his ad, entitled "Tough", during broadcast of the interview in six battleground states: Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Florida and North Carolina.

-------------------------------------------------------

Will Steakin @wsteaks

Trump cast his "abolish the suburbs" attack on Biden in perhaps his darkest terms yet on the tele-rally last night Claiming the far left will bring "who knows into your suburbs" that will cause "your communities will be unsafe and your housing values will go down."

WrF47EF.png

2:26 PM · Jul 18, 2020

-------------------------------------------------------

FUNnFDy.png

Jeremy Diamond @JDiamond1

Trump finally marks the passing of civil rights icon Rep. John Lewis. Highly unusual for the VP to put out a statement before the President (even his daily schedule goes out after Trump's), but that's what happened today.

(Pence still waited until noon today to put his out)

2:19 PM · Jul 18, 2020

Manu Raju @mkraju

Trump just arrived at his Virginia golf club. It's his 370th trip to one of his properties and 278th trip to one of his golf clubs since becoming president

Trump, after four-and-a-half hours at his golf club, tweets about John Lewi

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Saddened to hear the news of civil rights hero John Lewis passing. Melania and I send our prayers to he and his family.

2:05 PM · Jul 18, 2020
2:15 PM · Jul 18, 2020

Absent

Oct 26, 2017

Good luck with that.

In two concise pages, the document sent by White House senior adviser Stephen Miller laid out dozens of bullet-pointed attacks on Biden, along with a brief summary of positive points that describe Trump's "vision for the future."

The author of many of Trump's most pugilistic public statements, Miller has raised concerns to other White House aides that the campaign's messaging has not been tough enough on Biden, officials said, and a cachet of White House officials have begun working on campaign issues through their private email accounts and text message chains.
Bill Stepien, Trump's newly appointed campaign manager, views ramped up focus on attacking Biden as a primary goal, according to people familiar with his thinking who like others spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe private strategy discussions.

"There are two reasons an incumbent wins. One, you're doing a good job. Two, the opponent has been discredited as a better alternative," said Mike DuHaime, a GOP strategist and close friend of Stepien. "The first one is not really up to the campaign. It's up to the president and the White House. Second, the campaign has some level of control over and needs to do a better job."

Trump campaign adviser Jason Miller, no relation to Stephen, has also been pushing the messaging internally, sending out morning memos to Trump campaign advisers, supporters and surrogates to drive the message. A campaign official familiar with the effort said that both Millers participated in an effort in late June and early July to improve the campaign messaging.
Fuck these Miller dumbasses.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Wait wait wait hold on, Trump is taking calls from people for these "Tele-Rallies"? How do I call this piece of shit?

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
Wait wait wait hold on, Trump is taking calls from people for these "Tele-Rallies"? How do I call this piece of shit?

They surely must be screening everyone beforehand to make sure that they are true believers and have them on a delay or something...

That's not to say that someone shouldn't try to make it through!

ZAKU-RED

Oct 27, 2017
His plan to get Suburban voters won't work for the sheer fact he was already losing them long before Biden even considered running.

Dude should look at the 2018 Mid-terms for a second but Nah he's too stupid to look at that and keeps believing Racism and other shit will get those guys back on his side.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Steadman™ @AsteadWesley

This is Elijah Cummings
It was an honor to know & be blessed with the opportunity to serve in Congress with JohnLewis a genuine & historic American hero.​
May the Lord grant him eternal peace.​
oiBIt4P.png
3:02 PM · Jul 18, 2020

wKToTXw.png

Edit:

Dan Zak @MrDanZak

They'll soon realize they need to change his new profile photo. So let's pause to admire the tableau. The header: a grainy, slack-jawed look into the middle distance. The profile: a fumbling for self-respect, & a colossal error. Sprinkle in a little Jesus. Close with "AMERICAN."

bV9xL4t.png

3:13 PM · Jul 18, 2020

xLvPJ9E.png

Last edited:

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm loy-key wondering if the actual plan now for the GoP is to hope that COVID kills enough Dems in battleground states to give Trump a chance...

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loy-key wondering if the actual plan now for the GoP is to hope that COVID kills enough Dems in battleground states to give Trump a chance...

Do we know the total demographic makeup of people who have died? Like, probably Democrat vs. probable Republicans? Because this really is starting to look like they're trying to spread the virus more now.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
This boogey man suburbs strategy from the 70s coupled with tying relief to defunding something 2/3 of Americans support is surely a winning strategy.
I'm with Biden. Why even bother

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Do we know the total demographic makeup of people who have died? Like, probably Democrat vs. probable Republicans? Because this really is starting to look like they're trying to spread the virus more now.
I doubt you could get that info, nor would it be helpful anyway, because it's always going to be worse in dense city areas, with lots of public transport, and so the death counts in blue areas like NY and Seattle will skew the total numbers.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
The Portland kidnappings are truly terrifying, because they seem to be the normalization of something much worse. Right now there's too many eyes on these events to make people 'disappear,' but if these acts are allowed to continue and escalate then that's a real possibility.

With no accountability it will be impossible to track what happens to everyone and it will be impossible to identify who was involved. An hour-long detainment at a federal courthouse where you're read your Miranda rights becomes an interrogation at a government blacksite where the identified 'criminals' end up becomes the disappearance of anyone they happen to pick up that is overly vocal in opposition to the POTUS on social media. Right now it's just DHS wannabe law enforcement but what happens when it becomes nationwide 'trained and authorized civilians' given costumes (uniforms) and guns and told to patrol the streets picking up anyone who appears to be a dissident.

This is right out of the authoritarian playbook. Create confusion, remove accountability and claim deniability.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can you imagine if the 2020 Olympics were in the USA and Trump made sure they would still happen, fuck what a clusterfuck that would be.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Twitter video:

Kevin Cate @KevinCate

A reporter tried to ask @GovRonDeSantis about the passing of John Lewis, race, and confederate monuments today in Florida, and this is how he reacted.

I have no words.

2:54 PM · Jul 18, 2020

I was going to say that he might be ignorant, but the douchebag was in the House for 5 years representing Florida, a neighboring state.

Good job punting on a question that might have made you look even the slightest bit human. F*cking idiot.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Can you imagine if the 2020 Olympics were in the USA and Trump made sure they would still happen, fuck what a clusterfuck that would be.

There would be no way for Trump to "make sure they'd happen". If the US was a considered a global covid19 hotspot, there's no way other countries would send their athletes and supporters down there to get infected en masse. They'd boycot the event and ignore any stink Trump tried to raise about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.