• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
medium.com

My Statement on the Passing of Rep. John Lewis

America is a constant work in progress. What gives each new generation purpose is to take up the unfinished work of the last and carry it…

It's fitting that the last time John and I shared a public forum was at a virtual town hall with a gathering of young activists who were helping to lead this summer's demonstrations in the wake of George Floyd's death. Afterwards, I spoke to him privately, and he could not have been prouder of their efforts — of a new generation standing up for freedom and equality, a new generation intent on voting and protecting the right to vote, a new generation running for political office. I told him that all those young people — of every race, from every background and gender and sexual orientation — they were his children. They had learned from his example, even if they didn't know it. They had understood through him what American citizenship requires, even if they had heard of his courage only through history books.
A true legend.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't get the republicans calling for austerity or negotiating the stimulus terms in the US? I can't imagine that in Europe, everyone left and right is united in the idea stimulus is necessary - are US republicans just out of touch, straight evil, or ... ?

Wtf is going on. I hope you guys are all okay. I can't even wrap my head around this anymore

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the republicans calling for austerity or negotiating the stimulus terms in the US? I can't imagine that in Europe, everyone left and right is united in the idea stimulus is necessary - are US republicans just out of touch, straight evil, or ... ?

Wtf is going on. I hope you guys are all okay. I can't even wrap my head around this anymore
The suburban vote is well known for liking *checks notes* Fascist cosplaying.

That'll get little Jackie and good ol' Mikey's vote in November.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The suburban vote is well known for liking *checks notes* Fascist cosplaying.

That'll get little Jackie and good ol' Mikey's vote in November.
I don't understand who is supporting this that wouldn't already be supporting him? And it seems like it would honestly turn some people off. But beyond that it's just horrible and obviously unconstitutional

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand who is supporting this that wouldn't already be supporting him? And it seems like it would honestly turn some people off. But beyond that it's just horrible and obviously unconstitutional
They can't win on the Coronavirus, so they're back to trying to scare suburban voters into voting for Trump.

What they don't seem to realize is those voters want someone like Biden they feel can calm down protests by actually being diplomatic instead of stirring the pot like Trump always does.

Oct 28, 2017
They can't win on the Coronavirus, so they're back to trying to scare suburban voters into voting for Trump.

What they don't seem to realize is those voters want someone like Biden they feel can calm down protests by actually being diplomatic instead of stirring the pot like Trump always does.

Yeah seriously, the secret fed involvement is just stupid assuming they're not going full fascist and going to start jailing Democrats come November.

No one likes secret fed involvement like this. More reasonable conservatives are going "what the fuck" because the idea of someone nabbing you off the street and sending you somewhere no one knows where sparks something primal in most of us. Its terrifying.

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017
David Shor also said Democrats had virtually no chance of winning the House due to the gerrymander and that they should instead ask elites to change the electoral system, that whites were trending Republican fror 12 years and there was no reason to expect that to change, and that Democrats was so massively screwed in the Senate that at best we could hope for 50 seats and Manchin being the swing vote. He's been predicting that Democrats are eternally screwed since the beginning of time, contrarian fatalism is his whole schtick. Of course fix gerrymandering and admit Puerto Rico and DC as states. But I would be skeptical of his fatalistic take on the future of American politics.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Government spending that actually helps people undermines their ideology, so they can't allow it. That's all there is to it.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Trump and Lindsey are playing golf today because there's nothing important going on.

Edit: We're in a "heat emergency" weather situation in the D.C. area. Do your worst, nature.

Last edited:

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a suburban voter and Trump's America is terrifying. I haven't felt safe since November 2016.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
They only know how to do one thing. And that one thing just forces people to recognize who they are and the danger they pose.

Trump giddily told us we were going to see exciting things in the next 8 weeks that no one has ever seen before, and Portland is obviously the trial run. I wonder how many times he's talked to Putin this month?

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Trump giddily told us we were going to see exciting things in the next 8 weeks that no one has ever seen before, and Portland is obviously the trial run. I wonder how many times he's talked to Putin this month?

can we not have the conspiracy theory talk in this thread please? this just feels like low bar discussion reserved for OT. we still don't even know what's going on in Portland but we are linking it to Russia now?

Oct 27, 2017
can we not have the conspiracy theory talk in this thread please? this just feels like low bar discussion reserved for OT. we still don't even know what's going on in Portland but we are linking it to Russia now?

We aren't the ones linking the operation of the United States to Russia. And those statements were not as closely linked as you suggest. Occasionally they actually tell us that Trump spoke to Putin.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

It's a conspiracy that he calls Putin regularly? He spoke to him right before he pulled his bible stunt and it's not a stretch to think he may have been phoning the home office for advice. Sending in unmarked federal forces to kidnap people in unmarked vans is straight out of the authoritarian playbook. It's also not a conspiracy that he admires despots like Putin.

Will Trump be able to get through whatever perfunctory tribute to John Lewis his staff end up scripting for him without turning it into a rant about something else? The world wonders.

I feel sorry for any statesman who has passed away during Trump's presidency, they all merited more fitting tributes from the head of state.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
We do know what's going on in Portland. Federal law enforcement officers in unmarked cars are refusing to identify themselves and arresting people with little to no cause. That's what's going on in Portland, and Trump and his cohorts are looking to take that nationwide, because that's who they are.

They hate the protestors, peaceful or not. We've watched them tear gassed. We've watched them driven through. We've watched the press threatened, arrested, and beaten up, merely for covering this stuff.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Will Trump be able to get through whatever perfunctory tribute to John Lewis his staff end up scripting for him without turning it into a rant about something else? The world wonders.

I feel sorry for any statesman who has passed away during Trump's presidency, they all merited more fitting tributes from the head of state.
Is he even doing one? I be shocked if he does

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
We do know what's going on in Portland. Federal law enforcement officers in unmarked cars are refusing to identify themselves and arresting people with little to no cause. That's what's going on in Portland, and Trump and his cohorts are looking to take that nationwide, because that's who they are.

They hate the protestors, peaceful or not. We've watched them tear gassed. We've watched them driven through. We've watched the press threatened, arrested, and beaten up, merely for covering this stuff.
Now will the tea party and militas rise up? Cause this is exactly the shit they said Obama was going to do

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017

has anyone actually been arrested? There have been reports of people being detained.

when Minneapolis happened we had multiple threads about women disappearing, and other altercations by "unmarked" men that never really had any substance and didn't materialize into much. I'm not saying federal officers aren't doing something but to say this is some trial run for nationwide unwarranted arrests is Fear mongering. Hell very few cities are even protesting in mass anymore.

Oct 26, 2017

This is is worry some.

As I now 100% expect these ( gestapo ) to attempt to abduct people on election day.

Oct 26, 2017
has anyone actually been arrested? There have been reports of people being detained.

when Minneapolis happened we had multiple threads about women disappearing, and other altercations by "unmarked" men that never really had any substance and didn't materialize into much. I'm not saying federal officers aren't doing something but to say this is some trial run for nationwide unwarranted arrests is Fear mongering. Hell very few cities are even protesting in mass anymore.
People are being " detained ", but the dhs isnot sharing any data, with anyone. Not Marshalls, not state and local, no other agency.

So we don't actually know how many or who.

This is literally nazi Germany secret police now.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

He put the flag at half mast earlier today and went to play golf. The best we can hope for is that he doesn't flat out attack him at this point.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Now will the tea party and militas rise up? Cause this is exactly the shit they said Obama was going to do

No, they're cheering them on - at least on Twitter. Don't read any of the comments under Cuccinelli or that acting DHS guy's posts. Bad stuff. I'm sure the Q-nutters are ecstatic too.

Oct 26, 2017

DHS has to much reach and authority.
and is being controlled by actual nazis.

They are starting to use nazi tactics.

its quite clear, DHS Now has way too much authority and reach. This admin has now shown, when you get a nazi in charge of the DHS that they can do immense amounts of damage.
THey, like ICE, and CBP, will have to be completely dismantled.

Those institutions need to be destroyed to the foundations, and we need multiple replacement agencies with limited power replacing each one.

No more vast over reach, and ability to ignore the constitution.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Well, I mean he did a coordinated Federal attack in DC, complete with convenient "radios weren't working so we can't provide that when asked", and now Portland. That's at least two places, and he's telegraphed his thoughts about protesters and violence in cities *very clearly*, now following into actions. He wants to double down on that, "I'm the law and order candidate and Biden will abolish the police, you won't be safe!", rhetoric. It's also not a conspiracy that Putin has him wrapped around his finger and Trump loves the way they do things there.

Shameful btw that we now have further evidence of the bounties and still Trump did nothing.

Also shameful that he's golfing and grifting again during a pandemic, and obviously doesn't want to say anything about Lewis.

thusly, any organization that has the ability to ignore congress needs to be dismantled.
Literally any part of the executive branch can ignore Congress if Congress and the courts let them. There's nothing that makes Homeland Security different from the Bureau of Land Management or the Coast Guard or the Social Security Administration in that regard.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Welp. This is like chumming the water.

Congressmember Bass
@RepKarenBass

@realDonaldTrump
while the nation mourns the passing of a national hero, please say nothing. Please don't comment on the life of Congressman Lewis. Your press secretary released a statement, leave it at that. Please let us mourn in peace.

Of course they believed in what they were spewing.

Only if its pertains to white people, especially white conservatives.

They sure don't give a shit about the deficit anymore.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
This is it, the actual end of the country. No use worrying about elections or Biden, we're going to be a military dictatorship by September.

Status
Not open for further replies.