• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost hoping Trump gets another SC appointment on the way out. The SC is already a rubber stamp on every piece of Republican ratfuckery that has ever come before them. You might win on policy every once in awhile, but you will never, ever, ever get them to in the slightest bit restrain the ongoing republican attempt to create a permanent minority governing coalition. If seeing roe on the chopping block is the only thing that will get these complacency assholes to do something, then maybe that's what should happen.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost hoping Trump gets another SC appointment on the way out. The SC is already a rubber stamp on every piece of Republican ratfuckery that has ever come before them. You might win on policy every once in awhile, but you will never, ever, ever get them to in the slightest bit restrain the ongoing republican attempt to create a permanent minority governing coalition. If seeing roe on the chopping block is the only thing that will get these complacency assholes to do something, then maybe that's what should happen.
This is an awful take. This is like people hoping Trump being elected would cause accelerationism towards the left.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I would rather Biden get a SC appointment instead. Also 6 more after that.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of kids who commit suicide from not being able to go to school is probably such a small number and that's far outweighed by the number of kids who will commit suicide from what happens at school and the number of kids who die from school shootings that won't happen if school is virtual

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
To give them the benefit of the doubt here, I think she means that the science backs them up on this, not that science needs to be ignored.

I'll give credit where it is due. I guess it isn't as bad as I originally thought.
That is exactly what she meant. Poor choice of words on her part though because it makes a great soundbite.

No mention of teachers from her though. Also it's worth noting there may be a risk difference between junior, middle and high schools, with risk for all rising as high schoolers are young adults.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
The amount of kids who commit suicide from not being able to go to school is probably such a small number and that's far outweighed by the number of kids who will commit suicide from what happens at school and the number of kids who die from school shootings that won't happen if school is virtual
I'm constantly requesting receipts from anyone pushing that nonsense about more suicides because schools are closed. Nobody ever has any proof of this.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
Also, please remember that there are lots of immunosuppressed kids out there who are essentially guaranteed to die if coming into contact with the virus. Kids with cystic fibrosis, the most common genetic disease, are in extreme danger as it is.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

time.com

Peter Navarro's Controversial Anti-Fauci Column Didn't Meet Fact-Checking Standards, Newspaper Says

Fauci has essentially been shelved by the White House as a prominent spokesperson on the pandemic
(NEW YORK) — USA Today says that a column that the newspaper solicited and published from presidential trade adviser Peter Navarro criticizing Dr. Anthony Fauci was misleading and did not meet fact-checking standards.
The newspaper explained the decision in a note by Bill Sternberg, editorial page editor, attached to the column online. Navarro's column originally appeared online late Tuesday and was published in Wednesday's newspaper.
Navarro wrote that Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, "has been wrong about everything I interacted with him on."
The newspaper on Wednesday evening also ran a fact-check story by Washington reporter Ledyard King examining five of Navarro's claims.
USA Today did not immediately return messages seeking comment on how Navarro's column escaped such scrutiny before being published. The incident is reminiscent of The New York Times saying last month that an opinion column by U.S. Sen. Tom Cotton hadn't been properly vetted, which led to the resignation of the paper's opinion editor.
Navarro also did not immediately return a message.
USA Today said it had sought Navarro's opinion to accompany an editorial that the newspaper ran calling Fauci "a national treasure." That editorial said the fact that Navarro was writing the opposing viewpoint "shows how hard it is to find an actual medical professional willing to undercut Fauci."
It wasn't clear whether the newspaper sought those opinions.

Oct 30, 2017
I'd like to see these admin officials try spending a day at one of those schools in Florida, no mask and refuse medical care if infected. We'll see how they do with that 30% infection rate.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur

Trump's new campaign manager Bill Stepien lays out the strategy in his first statement after the promotion: "We will expose Joe Biden as a hapless tool of the extreme left and contrast his failures with the undeniable successes of President Trump."

87zt7N8.png

3:22 PM · Jul 16, 2020

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Whatever happened with Russia putting bounties on American soldiers? Nothing? Oh.
Trump "art of the deal" managed to lower the bounties payments by 2%.

"So I call him up, I said to him, Vlad – I call him Vlad, because he considers me his best friend, so I call him Vlad, he likes that – I said to him, you can't keep paying those guys, the Talibans, so much money to kill American soldiers. Our bounties are the biggest in the world, most people don't know that. And he said something in Russian. I didn't quite catch the translation, something about me being strong, I believe."
"We talked about me being strong for a while, then he had to go, he had to run to the gremlin, I don't know who that is, maybe his wife? Some Russian women are very beautiful though. Isn't my wife beautiful? Looks just like my daughter." Trump then spent the next twenty minutes ranking his children on looks and intelligence until one of his aides prompted him to describe the rest of his phone call with Putin.

"Putin, he's a great guy. Tremendous. So just as the call was about to end, I asked him to lower the bounty on our soldiers. He offered to get rid of it altogether, but I knew that's what he wanted me to ask him for. Can't let the other side have everything they want, gotta keep them on their toes, that's negotiating 101. So I asked for a 10% lowering of the bounty and we settled on 2%. He never even knew what hit him," Trump said.

www.thebeaverton.com

Businessman Trump masterfully convinces Putin to lower bounty on US soldiers by 2%

"I said to him, Vlad - I call him Vlad, because he considers me his best friend, so I call him Vlad, he likes that - I said to him, you can’t keep paying those guys, the Talibans, so much money to kill American soldiers. Our bounties are the biggest in the world, most people don’t know that."

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017

time.com

Peter Navarro's Controversial Anti-Fauci Column Didn't Meet Fact-Checking Standards, Newspaper Says

Fauci has essentially been shelved by the White House as a prominent spokesperson on the pandemic
(NEW YORK) — USA Today says that a column that the newspaper solicited and published from presidential trade adviser Peter Navarro criticizing Dr. Anthony Fauci was misleading and did not meet fact-checking standards.
The newspaper explained the decision in a note by Bill Sternberg, editorial page editor, attached to the column online. Navarro's column originally appeared online late Tuesday and was published in Wednesday's newspaper.
Navarro wrote that Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, "has been wrong about everything I interacted with him on."
The newspaper on Wednesday evening also ran a fact-check story by Washington reporter Ledyard King examining five of Navarro's claims.
USA Today did not immediately return messages seeking comment on how Navarro's column escaped such scrutiny before being published. The incident is reminiscent of The New York Times saying last month that an opinion column by U.S. Sen. Tom Cotton hadn't been properly vetted, which led to the resignation of the paper's opinion editor.
USA Today said it had sought Navarro's opinion to accompany an editorial that the newspaper ran calling Fauci "a national treasure." That editorial said the fact that Navarro was writing the opposing viewpoint "shows how hard it is to find an actual medical professional willing to undercut Fauci."

Maybe if it's really hard to find a professional that would offer an opposing viewpoint, there doesn't actually NEED to be an opposing viewpoint.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

President Trump doesn't care if your kids get sick and die or if they bring it back home and kill their family members, or if teachers and staff die. He needs fuel for his "normalcy" campaign to get re-elected. He's a monster and everyone still facilitating him is a monster.

CloverNotes

Oct 25, 2017
Trump "art of the deal" managed to lower the bounties payments by 2%.

"So I call him up, I said to him, Vlad – I call him Vlad, because he considers me his best friend, so I call him Vlad, he likes that – I said to him, you can't keep paying those guys, the Talibans, so much money to kill American soldiers. Our bounties are the biggest in the world, most people don't know that. And he said something in Russian. I didn't quite catch the translation, something about me being strong, I believe."
"We talked about me being strong for a while, then he had to go, he had to run to the gremlin, I don't know who that is, maybe his wife? Some Russian women are very beautiful though. Isn't my wife beautiful? Looks just like my daughter." Trump then spent the next twenty minutes ranking his children on looks and intelligence until one of his aides prompted him to describe the rest of his phone call with Putin.

"Putin, he's a great guy. Tremendous. So just as the call was about to end, I asked him to lower the bounty on our soldiers. He offered to get rid of it altogether, but I knew that's what he wanted me to ask him for. Can't let the other side have everything they want, gotta keep them on their toes, that's negotiating 101. So I asked for a 10% lowering of the bounty and we settled on 2%. He never even knew what hit him," Trump said.

www.thebeaverton.com

Businessman Trump masterfully convinces Putin to lower bounty on US soldiers by 2%

"I said to him, Vlad - I call him Vlad, because he considers me his best friend, so I call him Vlad, he likes that - I said to him, you can’t keep paying those guys, the Talibans, so much money to kill American soldiers. Our bounties are the biggest in the world, most people don’t know that."
This just sounds so incompetent... Like I don't want to believe this happened.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017

time.com

If it doesn't meet proper standards, then DON'T FUCKING PUBLISH IT, ASSHOLES.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
So keep trying to do what they were already trying and failing at?

I mean, what else do they have? It's not like they can acknowledge reality or anything. Reality is very unfavorable to them and he base hates it.

But I do wonder what other lies they could try, since these aren't working.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
President Trump doesn't care if your kids get sick and die or if they bring it back home and kill their family members, or if teachers and staff die. He needs fuel for his "normalcy" campaign to get re-elected. He's a monster and everyone still facilitating him is a monster.
Which is crazy because in he is also arguing Biden will continue to let the bad things that happen in his administration keep happening. There's no logic whatsoever.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
What happens if a single teacher or faculty member tests positive for the virus? Have these assholes explained how they'd deal with someone who is interacting with dozens if not hundreds of people testing positive?

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
What happens if a single teacher or faculty member tests positive for the virus? Have these assholes explained how they'd deal with someone who is interacting with dozens if not hundreds of people testing positive?
They're refusing to answer these questions because they know ONE teacher will nearly shut down a rural school. One student means all their teachers need to quarantine for 2 weeks. Good luck!

OK.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm constantly requesting receipts from anyone pushing that nonsense about more suicides because schools are closed. Nobody ever has any proof of this.
I don't even know what data you would pull from other than possibly looking at Summer when kids are out of school. I'd bet money on there being less suicides during summer than during the school year though

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, what else do they have? It's not like they can acknowledge reality or anything. Reality is very unfavorable to them and he base hates it.

But I do wonder what other lies they could try, since these aren't working.
Well, they could try promoting a platform or actual policies they want to implement, for one. They aren't even doing that much! Last time around, Trump was shouting about building a wall at every opportunity. There's a policy. Try something like that.

Geez, I'm already a better campaign manager than these morons.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I give Stepien til the convention. As shitty as a president trump has been, he barely has any accomplishments that would stand out to his base outside of nominating judges and the tax cut. He biggest "accomplishments" have been to systematically gut federal agencies and install his cronies and no one gives a shit about that. They are trying the strategy of trying to raise Biden's unfavorables up, but that won't work when people are suffering because of your administration.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Which is crazy because in he is also arguing Biden will continue to let the bad things that happen in his administration keep happening. There's no logic whatsoever.

He's survived on magical thinking his entire life. Trouble is, there are only so many people willing to sacrifice themselves for this kind of insanity. They wouldn't sacrifice themselves in Tulsa and now he's telling them to risk their kids.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017

That's up to school districts to deal with, the fascists don't give a fuck.

Sacrifice yourselves for the aesthetics of normalcy, peasants!

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The parents bitching about their children's mental health are almost exclusively projecting because they're sick of their children. It's an excuse to have what they want. They don't give a crap.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did some digging and depression and suicide are much higher during the school year than during the summer when school is not in session. It's a bullshit talking point by Republicans to force their kids back in school

blogs.edweek.org

Threat of Child Suicide Is Highest During the School Year, Study Finds

The study, published in the journal Pediatrics, "underscores the need for future work to explore the relationship between school and suicidal thoughts," researchers from Vanderbilt University wrote.

www.psychologytoday.com

Children’s & Teens’ Suicides Related to the School Calendar

Psychiatric emergencies and youth suicides rise sharply with the school year.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
This new dude sucks just as much no change he trying hard but most of it falling flat already

He helped Christie achieve the lowest approval in NJ history so I expect great things from him.

I did some digging and depression and suicide are much higher during the school year than during the summer when school is not in session. It's a bullshit talking point by Republicans to force their kids back in school

blogs.edweek.org

Threat of Child Suicide Is Highest During the School Year, Study Finds

The study, published in the journal Pediatrics, "underscores the need for future work to explore the relationship between school and suicidal thoughts," researchers from Vanderbilt University wrote.

www.psychologytoday.com

Children’s & Teens’ Suicides Related to the School Calendar

Psychiatric emergencies and youth suicides rise sharply with the school year.

I don't know who believes this shit. The talking heads are telling parents they know their kids better than they do.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
The parents bitching about their children's mental health are almost exclusively projecting because they're sick of their children. It's an excuse to have what they want. They don't give a crap.

Ehhh...that's not necessarily true. My daughter's mood definitely took a hit this spring not being at school (she loves going) and interacting with her friends. She troopered through it fairly well but you could definitely tell she was down some and it's not hard for me to imagine some other kids taking it harder. Yes some parents may be sick of it (let me tell you, working from home while trying to help with school was not fun) but don't dismiss the potential of kids being more affected than you realize.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur

Trump's new campaign manager Bill Stepien lays out the strategy in his first statement after the promotion: "We will expose Joe Biden as a hapless tool of the extreme left and contrast his failures with the undeniable successes of President Trump."

87zt7N8.png

3:22 PM · Jul 16, 2020

When I head Parscale got fired my first thought was, "Oh no, what if they get someone competent?"
I guess I didn't need to worry.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Other than the inevitable Barr investigation announcement, their last play will be to do everything in their power to drive Biden's favorables down into the mud like Trump's are just like with Hilary. That's what this new guy is for.

Let's hope more people are wise to it this time.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure a lot of kids are sad. Everything sucks.
But there's no way in hell that there's some hidden mass-suiciding going on all over the country because kids can't go to school.

Oct 25, 2017
When I head Parscale got fired my first thought was, "Oh no, what if they get someone competent?"
I guess I didn't need to worry.

No campaign manager worth a damn is going to come in during the final four months, especially with someone as historically unpopular as Trump.
They would look at the recession (leading into a depression), the continuing spread of Corona, the protests and increase in police brutality, and Trump sundowning, and simply say "You're on your own here."

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
No campaign manager worth a damn is going to come in during the final four months, especially with someone as historically unpopular as Trump.
They would look at the recession (leading into a depression), the continuing spread of Corona, the protests and increase in police brutality, and Trump sundowning, and simply say "You're on your own here."

Competent, qualified people not wanting to work in the trump administration has been true from day 1, to be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.