• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

Perhaps we're all the horrible human beings though...

As she walked up to the podium to speak, one of the moms grabbed a face mask and spit her gum out into it. "It's garbage," she shrugged, wadding it up. "It doesn't work anyway. Not for me and not for my kids."

A dad who spoke after her said he, too, doesn't think the masks are effective, and said he's pulling his kids out of school this fall if the state doesn't lift its mandate requiring all K-12 students to wear a face covering. Another mother carried her 4-year-old son in her arms, noting there's no way he would keep one on in his kindergarten class — but she thinks they're stupid anyway, regardless of age.

Parent after parent followed at the Utah County commission meeting Wednesday afternoon, objecting for more than two hours to having their kids in masks even as counts of the virus continue to climb across the state, where there are more than 30,000 confirmed cases.​

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Expand the map I hope.
Really want to start seeing some spending coming from the Biden campaign. They made a tiny 6 figure ad buy in Texas that doesn't go very far here. Doesn't seem like they are really expanding statewide operations in states yet from what I can tell either. They are just stacking up money with around 3 months until people can start early voting

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Remember, the Monmouth poll in PA had Biden leading by +30 among people 50 and younger, and +10 among 65 and older -- but the 50-65 crowd had Trump up +13.

That's a very narrow but highly contrarian slice of the population, and unlike their parents, never had to deal with Polio, or anything of that nature.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it that age range in particular that has been especially susceptible to the brainwashing?
Not really brainwashing as much as it is partisanship.

they grew up with their first elections being Nixon and Reagan. Not Truman and Kennedy or Bill Clinton/Obama. Conservatives just dominated the 70s and 80s and people who grew up in that time frame reflect that more

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it that age range in particular that has been especially susceptible to the brainwashing?

Usually people of that age were born to parents too young to remember the Great Depression, and came into a world where US living standards were at a peak, at least for whites. People slightly older may still remember the relatively lean years of the late 40s and early 50s.

That generation was the most educated up to that point, but it doesn't seem like it did them any good. I think the primary form of media consumption has something to do with it, too. I'm sure someone out there had a grandparent or two that was glued to the TV like this particular cohort is glued to Facebook.

Going from, say, a newspaper to TV as your main mode of information is a lot different than going from TV to an even more curated media environment.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Not really brainwashing as much as it is partisanship.

they grew up with their first elections being Nixon and Reagan. Not Truman and Kennedy or Bill Clinton/Obama. Conservatives just dominated the 70s and 80s and people who grew up in that time frame reflect that more

Right this group was in their early 30's / late 20's by the time Clinton was elected. They would have been little kids during the JFK / LBJ years and Carter was viewed as a joke. Good news is that this is also why Millennials will stay Democratic for years.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017

SCOTUS allows Florida's pay-to-vote scheme, which disenfranchises thousands of ex-felons, to take effect. This likely means thousands of Floridians will be unable to vote in the 2020 election due to lack of money. Sotomayor, Ginsburg, and Kagan dissent.

It's insane how republicans keep getting away with this. Undermining the democratic will of the people who then end up voting for them again. It's absurd and infuriating.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Right this group was in their early 30's / late 20's by the time Clinton was elected. They would have been little kids during the JFK / LBJ years and Carter was viewed as a joke. Good news is that this is also why Millennials will stay Democratic for years.

Meanwhile the 1st president Zoomers will remember is Trump. Unless the GOP course corrects soon they will lose two generations permanently.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Is this registration or self-affiliation? Both are bad, just wondering.

Re: SCOTUS, Roberts has really done a number on voting rights in this country.

I'm not sure myself. For instance, I know several registered Republicans who no longer affiliate or vote Republican but haven't changed their party registration.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
A Princeton professor called the Black Justice League a terrorist organization and WSJ editorial board wrote some bullshit about how cancel culture is targeting a respected professor

I hate this paper so fucking much

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Is this registration or self-affiliation? Both are bad, just wondering.

Re: SCOTUS, Roberts has really done a number on voting rights in this country.

It's self identification not registration.

Currently, half of U.S. adults identify as Democrats (32%) or are independents who lean toward the Democratic Party (18%). Meanwhile, 39% identify as Republicans (26%) or are Republican leaners (13%).

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile the 1st president Zoomers will remember is Trump. Unless the GOP course corrects soon they will lose two generations permanently.
Zoomers are older than you think (though generation gaps are obviously super arbitrary and kind of dumb). I'm in my early 20s, not a millennial, and I remember the hell out of Obama. And Bush, for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.