• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017
Oh it ain't going away, but if he loses big they'll pretend he never existed. Just like they do with W.

W. went quietly. Trump won't. That changes everything, especially if Trump (likely) gets a home on some conservative media outlet. Imagine Rush handing the mic over to him for three hours of unhinged Trump, five days a week.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
W. went quietly. Trump won't. That changes everything, especially if Trump (likely) gets a home on some conservative media outlet. Imagine Rush handing the mic over to him for three hours of unhinged Trump, five days a week.

He won't do a show, it's too much work. But I can see a show offering him a weekly "call in and chat" segment like the one Bernie used to have on Thom Hartmann's show.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 2024 GOP Primary is going to be a disaster, even greater than 2016. I think GOP hopefuls will take all the wrong lessons out of Trump's defeat (if it happens) and think that they need to double down on the racist populism but "be smarter about it." Cruz, Rubio, Cotton, DeSantis, Pence, Haley, Sasse, One of the Trump Brood (probably Don Jr.), and other right wing billionaires who think they can recreate that Trump magic are all going to run. They will all try to outdo each other in right-wing rhetoric.
There's no such thing anymore as "being smarter about" racist populism. Not after the party base passed on all the normal politicians for the one who wasn't shy about what they meant.

The person who attempts to be "smarter" about it will get soundly defeated in a racist populism contest by the person who is more obvious, bellicose, etc. about it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Trump paid Parscale through Parscale's LLC which then paid Trump's large, adult children and their wives/girlfriends.
I wonder how much of the campaign fund actually goes to campaigning. Sure the they got tons of ads, but what about GOTV and local stuff?

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017
He won't do a show, it's too much work. But I can see a show offering him a weekly "call in and chat" segment like the one Bernie used to have on Thom Hartmann's show.

I don't know, if they can get another talking head in there to do most of the work - i.e. lead the horse to racist waters, I think Trump would bite. If he basically gets to show up (likely remotely) and be "interviewed", he'd do it.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Trump would do more than weekly. He used to call in to Fox News all the time, still does, and they can't get rid of him. Every chance to be in the news, he'll take it. He's going to be the noisiest ex-Pres ever.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Trump won't be kingmaker in any scenario I can imagine. His brand will be tarnished and he'll be in a constant battle over his legacy (legally and PR-wise). Somebody who isn't too close to his orbit now is going to emerge as the Culture War Champion and going to make the GOP primaries a true shitshow though.

What I am really curious about it what the narrative in 2022 ends up being. That will set the stage for 2024.
Maybe not kingmaker per se, but I could see a defeated, spiteful Trump still having enough influence in the GOP electorate to cripple a candidate who might otherwise win. He is a legitimate danger to anyone who doesn't kiss his ring/sign on to his victimization narrative in 2023-24.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not kingmaker per se, but I could see a defeated, spiteful Trump still having enough influence in the GOP electorate to cripple a candidate who might otherwise win. He is a legitimate danger to anyone who doesn't kiss his ring/sign on to his victimization narrative in 2023-24.

I can see him t-boning anyone who disses him, for sure. I think the path to walk is try not to draw his attention whatsoever, or in the most ambiguous terms possible.

Also assuming Trump hasn't gone silent for some reason (dead, in jail, or just too unhinged to be listened to any more).

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

Imagine if he fucking runs again in 2024. I can't even imagine what the fuck an 80 year old Trump is going to look like.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
So as our medical system crumbles, they're just going to try to hush it all up? Like, no one will notice refrigerator trucks full of bodies taking their families' corpses away?

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Heh, the last word I would use to describe Trump is "sensitive," but I feel like no one alive is more exquisitely attuned to detecting slights against their ego. That is a tough tightrope to walk!

It will be a mess, no doubt. Trump won't be kingmaker because lots of people will blame the GOP losses (assuming!) on him, but he will be able to hurt potential candidates all the same. Of course, I also thought that the GOP was irreparably broken after Bush gave neocons a bad name, and they just rallied to the fiscal-conservative leg of the coalition. Trump's on target to do the same for social-conservatives this time, but the difference this time is I don't think the culture warriors will go to ground like the neocons did. They'll fight.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
So as our medical system crumbles, they're just going to try to hush it all up? Like, no one will notice refrigerator trucks full of bodies taking their families' corpses away?
Totally unrelated, a new oceanographic study has discovered a tasty and nutritious plankton we can all eat, so people going hungry won't be a problem any more.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
John Hopkins Hospital and Worldometers get their information from states right? It might not change anything for them.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
As always with Republican control, we are on our own. And paying for it both figuratively and literally.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine if he fucking runs again in 2024. I can't even imagine what the fuck an 80 year old Trump is going to look like.

ejMwy1R.gif

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I just went to the CDC site and all that information is there. Not sure why others aren't getting it.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think GOP will run from Trump, they won't run to him either they will try to have their cake and eat it too

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
Trump supporters are mainly loyal to Trump and not the Republican Party, and the Baby Boomers are getting older. Republican officials may want to distance themselves from him, but many voters may not. Trump isn't going to go away so I see him being around for a long time

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think GOP will run from Trump, they won't run to him either they will try to have their cake and eat it too
I don't think so either.
They could pull that with Bush because he's a Republican through and through and would never try to destroy the GOP. Trump don't give a shit and he's amazingly spiteful.

If Trump starts to tell people not to vote for the loser Republicans, they are going to get wiped on all levels of government.
I don't know how many people have persuade, but if it's even 10% of their base, they just get wiped out everywhere.

I generally think this is terrible for the country, but it does create a rather unique opportunity to tie the GOP to Trump, but I don't know that the Democrats are trying.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't you see the, "Dashboards last updated as of July 14, 2020... This file will not be updated after July 14, 2020"?
I did--people were in a furor about not getting any data. The tweet quoted shows no data at all, as if everything previous had been removed.

Keep in mind--this doesn't affect data states are already reporting. If Florida is fudging the numbers, they've been doing it already for weeks. I'm not a fan of this move in the least, but we will still get data.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
The CDC dashboard stuff is bad, but it will have no real impact on reporting because the website was so horrible no one used it.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so either.
They could pull that with Bush because he's a Republican through and through and would never try to destroy the GOP. Trump don't give a shit and he's amazingly spiteful.

If Trump starts to tell people not to vote for the loser Republicans, they are going to get wiped on all levels of government.
I don't know how many people have persuade, but if it's even 10% of their base, they just get wiped out everywhere.

I generally think this is terrible for the country, but it does create a rather unique opportunity to tie the GOP to Trump, but I don't know that the Democrats are trying.
True he will be rage tweeting until he can't. But I wonder how much he will fade from the public eye once he has to start paying for his own rallys and shit

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
True he will be rage tweeting until he can't. But I wonder how much he will fade from the public eye once he has to start paying for his own rallys and shit

That's why I think he'll mostly be a talk-show call-in regular. Said show can tout "guest President Trump" and Trump gets the hosts to fawn over him. Think Fox and Friends, but every week.

That, and twitter of course.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think he's a grifter more than anything, and he will at least try to keep raising money from his base.
The big question for me is whether he'll spend his time attacking the GOP or doing something else. I think Republicans hope that they can somehow distance themselves from him without angering him, and I think it's super important to not let that happen.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I think he'll mostly be a talk-show call-in regular. Said show can tout "guest President Trump" and Trump gets the hosts to fawn over him. Think Fox and Friends, but every week.

That, and twitter of course.
How long will that last without handlers? Dude sounds unhinged now
I think he's a grifter more than anything, and he will at least try to keep raising money from his base.
The big question for me is whether he'll spend his time attacking the GOP or doing something else. I think Republicans hope that they can somehow distance themselves from him without angering him, and I think it's super important to not let that happen.
Hell maybe he just starts the trump party

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
John Hopkins Hospital and Worldometers get their information from states right? It might not change anything for them.

They had trouble calling the CDC data fake news. They'll release their own numbers and call everything else fake news. The right-wing media apparatus will pick it up and amplify it and get more people on board to send kids back to school and carry on like mass death is just something everyone has to deal with.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
They had trouble calling the CDC data fake news. They'll release their own numbers and call everything else fake news. The right-wing media apparatus will pick it up and amplify it and get more people on board to send kids back to school and carry on like mass death is just something everyone has to deal with.

Counties and states are still reporting their data daily to the public.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
GOP Scales Back Convention Plans, Relenting On Virus Restrictions

The Republican Party announced Thursday morning that it is scaling back its upcoming nominating convention and will hold what party chair Ronna McDaniel is calling a "convention celebration" next month in Jacksonville, Fla.

Bowing to the realities of holding a mass gathering in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic in Florida, which has seen a spike in new cases, attendance at the convention during its first few days, Aug. 24-26, will be limited to delegates only, which is a little more than 2,500 people.

On the final day of the Republican National Convention, Aug. 27, when President Trump will give his acceptance speech, each of those delegates will be able to have a guest, and alternate delegates will be able to attend. This will bring a total of around 7,000 people, an expected attendance in line with Trump's one post-pandemic rally in Tulsa, Okla., last month.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Counties and states are still reporting their data daily to the public.

FAKE NEWS!!
They're going to try it. There's no other reason to strip the CDC of their ability to gather data unless they're planning a massive disinfo campaign. They've already said their plan is to get people to just accept mass death as the new normal.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Actual people are still worried about the virus and don't want kids back in school-- what's the end game here? This actually erodes confidence further.

It's amazing to me how fucked up the whole administration has become. They were already a mess, now it's just flailing. And they can't even blame it on the Dems impeaching or investigating now.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah on one hand, the lack of federal response and control has created this crisis, but that also means they can't hide all the data. The CDC website was pretty shit anyway

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Because for the past 4 years, everything republicans have done has been followed by a "Let's just push this through and people will forget" mindset, and they've gotten away with it.

You cannot do that to a virus.

Oct 25, 2017

Immediately wondered how they squared these changes with baby raging out of North Carolina for being told they'd be subject to pandemic restrictions and:
Despite adjusting plans in the midst of the surge in COVID-19 across Florida, McDaniel still criticized North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper, a Democrat, saying he decided "to play politics" by insisting on pandemic-related restrictions for the originally planned convention in Charlotte.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
What if this is actually an attempt to get the CDC to reduce the guidelines. I imagine that their guidelines are based on the data that they receive so instead of getting direct data from hospitals they will get cooked up numbers from the administration, therefore leading to a reduction in the guidelines.

We already know that the majority of people trust the CDC so this is most likely an underhanded attempt to get those guidelines to the low standard that trump wants them to be. They then expect the vast majority of Americans to be ok with such changes.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Thing about Trump is his lifelong ambition and goal 24/7 has been to be the center of attention, there's never been a singularly focused fundamentally shallow fame hog the way he is. He's achieved that spotlight since 2015, and been the person the US is orbiting around.
He won't want to give that up even after a loss in November and likely attempted disowning by the GOP. He'll desperately try to cling to that spotlight and still try to demand everything revolve around him. That alone will make him the biggest thorn in the GOP's side.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

Jfc man, this admin needs to grow the fuck up. This shit isn't a game.

Between Devos and crew stating there's no need for a plan for schoolwide pandemic responses and certain states/counties going headlong into sending their kids into the grinder, we're about to hit some real fucking shit. That's ignoring the fact that extended UI is about to tap out on us.

We're in such bad fucking shape.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Actual people are still worried about the virus and don't want kids back in school-- what's the end game here? This actually erodes confidence further.

It's amazing to me how fucked up the whole administration has become. They were already a mess, now it's just flailing. And they can't even blame it on the Dems impeaching or investigating now.

Donald Trump does not care about how many people die or if a bunch of kids die. He only cares about never having to admit he's wrong or take any resposibilty for his disasterous COVID response. He will do anything to maintain his illusions that he created the greatest economy on earth, and if that means forcing people back in schools and office buildings, he'll kill as many people as necessary. He won't feel a thing.
You can't treat him like a normal person or try to decipher why he's constantly doing the wrong things from the lense of what a normal person would do. He's one of the most fucked in the head people on earth and, unfortunately, he's in charge. The fact that he politicized masks tells you everything you need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.