• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah he definitely isn't mentally in it. Especially with all these polls coming out with him so far behind. He's just doubling down on his worst instincts and it's pushing more people away from him. He literally had the chance to make his best case for the election by taking corona seriously and he fucked it up. He can't do anything right.

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Every fucking Republican governor has gone through this. First they overrule cities, than it bites them in the ass and they eventually have to do it state wide. See: Texas.

Why does Kemp think Georgia is special?
I'm lucky enough to live in the Tennessee county represented by a former WWE wrestler that voted against the mandate requiring masks with the county sheriff refusing to enforce said mandate after it passed. Meanwhile our governor is focused on signing Tennessee's anti-abortion heartbeat bill. Like, I get it for some of these states in this area that are already at the bottom of every possible metric. You have nothing to lose and reelection is all but assured as long as you have an R next to your name. Georgia on the other hand will flip eventually. I'm sure Kemp feels emboldened considering he essentially stole an election. But I really don't know what Kemp and Desantis are thinking at this point. I assume with most Republicans it's all an act to fool the rubes but I just don't know anymore. This isn't politics anymore, these people are straight up damning everyone they're supposed to be representing and for what?

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
I'm lucky enough to live in the Tennessee county represented by a former WWE wrestler that voted against the mandate requiring masks with the county sheriff refusing to enforce said mandate after it passed. Meanwhile our governor is focused on signing Tennessee's anti-abortion heartbeat bill. Like, I get it for some of these states in this area that are already at the bottom of every possible metric. You have nothing to lose and reelection is all but assured as long as you have an R next to your name. Georgia on the other hand will flip eventually. I'm sure Kemp feels emboldened considering he essentially stole an election. But I really don't know what Kemp and Desantis are thinking at this point. I assume with most Republicans it's all an act to fool the rubes but I just don't know anymore. This isn't politics anymore, these people are straight up damning everyone they're supposed to be representing and for what?

They enjoy harming people. They believe it's the only reason government should even exist. If you believe that government can't and shouldn't help people, why else would you devote your life to it?

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

DeSantis thinks he's going to run for President. Kemp probably does too. When 75% of GOP respondents say that "loyalty to Donald Trump" is their #1 issue (what a great platform), these guys aren't thinking about how many people they're going to kill. They just want the batshit base to know they were loyal while doing it.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
DeSantis thinks he's going to run for President. Kemp probably does too. When 75% of GOP respondents say that "loyalty to Donald Trump" is their #1 issue (what a great platform), these guys aren't thinking about how many people they're going to kill. They just want the batshit base to know they were loyal while doing it.

Trump is indeed going to be the kingmaker the next presidential election. Hopefully, he'll sabotage whoever else is next the way he's sabotaged himself.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Like, if you've ever been around someone like Trump you know they don't have it in them to do the hard things. That he would mentally give up and phone in the campaign is not at all surprising in the face of any resistance.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Trump is indeed going to be the kingmaker the next presidential election. Hopefully, he'll sabotage whoever else is next the way he's sabotaged himself.

I don't think he'll be alive in 4 years, but if he is, he'll be so mentally incapacitated it won't matter. His cognitive decline this year has been accelerating.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
Is loyalty to Trump really going to be the most important factor in 2024 if he gets blown the fuck out in 2020?

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I just got a jury summons for August.

I'm fine with doing my civic duty, but uh, can't say I want to go hang out in a Los Angeles court in a couple weeks given the pandemic spread. That seems... less than ideal.

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's really more simple than that. Conservatives all said coronavirus would never happen in the USA, China was pathetic, Europe's universal health care sucks because of the huge number of deaths, that it's just a flu, and so forth. They've been wrong about everything and have shifted the NFL goalposts out of the football stadium and into the city's NBA team's court.

At this point, they're saying kids should go to school because they're basically already immune to coronavirus. After kids start dying in mass, they're going to shift the goal posts again rather than say that they're wrong, we need to lock down and start dealing with this virus like rational human beings.

The meme about how the entire conservative philosophy is to do whatever will own/piss off the libs is entirely true. A lot of conservatives I know supported Kavanaugh simply because of the Democratic Party response to him.

Just about every single one of them is refusing to accept fault until someone is willing to accept it for them. Their machismo won't let them. Since Trump will never accept fault, none of them have any real cover and none of them want to listen to a dirty Democrat. I guarantee that if Trump went full fascist and ordered people who didn't social distance to get locked up, they'd join him instantly

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

I don't see in that text why they couldn't send the data to both though. That's been my main question mark on this story; in theory, you just tell whatever administrator is currently sending this stuff in to the CDC to make copies/forward/CC/etc... the stuff to this other thing. Boom, compliant.

Is loyalty to Trump really going to be the most important factor in 2024 if he gets blown the fuck out in 2020?

There's no silver bullet answer on this. In some races, Trump will be forgotten and people will actively avoid his candidate. In other races, loyalty to Trump is going to be the single issue that drives enough primary turnout to guarantee that anyone disloyal to Trump can't make it to the general. And it's not immediately clear which places will be which. Virginia is a state where the voting base exerts a pretty massive pressure on the GOP to be more moderate, but their last gubernatorial candidate ran most of his ads saying Ralph Northam was gonna let MS-13 come in and rape your kids.... and he was the more moderate one coming from the primary! And then the lesson they took away from that was that they should have run the crazier one all along, so they put him up the next year against Tim Kaine (where he got blown the fuck out even worse). It's a state that screams "moderate, suburbanite GOP" on paper, but the inmates are running the asylum there instead. When people like Corey Stewart are clearing primaries for statewide office, you know they've got a cult problem. In their minds, Trump is popular. They think candidates who pucker up to his orange asshole will be a big hit! Huge crowds! Stick it to the libs!

This is exactly the kind of thing that polarization can lead to though. When you get into a bubble so hazy like that, you lose sight of the fact that the most pivotal voters in this country are suburban residents who would generally prefer to not think about politics most of the time. They do a political thing twice a year just like they go to church twice a year. They buy into the Boogie, Rogan, both-sides junk. I'd argue the voting pattern nationally that fits these folks is Clinton voter who flipped to Bush, who flipped to Obama, who might've flipped to Romney or stayed with Obama, and then just didn't vote in 2016 (didn't like either candidate). It's a rational move to play to this crowd. So you'd think that Trump loyalty would stop being a thing the GOP has to do if he gets blown out. But that hasn't happened in various races across the country, and I don't think it'll happen after he's not POTUS. Every GOP candidate will go into their primaries wondering if their district likes Trump or not. And they won't know until they pick a side and see what happens.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
So far, Trumpism is being exposed as a dangerous and insidious mentality that has the potential to totally wreck every institution. No one will want to follow it up.,

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Oh it ain't going away, but if he loses big they'll pretend he never existed. Just like they do with W.

The reason that worked with W is because W was a party creature who knew when it was time to stay away from the public spotlight and take the party's denial of his existence in stride. Trump only cares about the GOP as a vehicle for his personal glory. He'll fight the memory holing process every step of the way.

The GOP trying to pretend Trump never existed will be interesting given that Trump will never shut up about himself until the day he dies.

Of course he probably doesn't have long. I'm sure his offspring will attempt to carry on (it's the only thing they've got) but they all have the appeal and charisma of vegetables.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The reason that worked with W is because W was a party creature who knew when it was time to stay away from the public spotlight and take the party's denial of his existence in stride. Trump only cares about the GOP as a vehicle for his personal glory. He'll fight the memory holing process every step of the way.
And was W really about that life?

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently the idiots outlining USPS policy now are comparing the Postal Service to US Steel, which they somehow think is out of business.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah Trump doesn't care about the party except as a means to enrich and empower himself. Hopefully he react the same he does whenever someone goes against him. I think if they lose badly in 2020, the party will try to jettison him and his people which could be quite contentious. Best case scenario, Trump and his ilk run as third party or something. While the GOP struggles, we can fix the last 50 years of conservative policy making.

I would like another Ohio poll. Last few had Biden ahead, but only by 2 points. Would like to see if that has widened at all. Last one was June 24th.
Losing Ohio would be pretty devastating. I never really look at polls but just scanning through certain key states, I can see why the Trump campaign is nervous. They have a lot of checkmarks to hit in their win conditions and it feels like they are running out room real quick. Personally, despite everything, it's hard not to feel a bit optimistic.

I also wonder if pollsters need to shift their polling as different states come into play.

Oct 25, 2017
The meme about how the entire conservative philosophy is to do whatever will own/piss off the libs is entirely true. A lot of conservatives I know supported Kavanaugh simply because of the Democratic Party response to him.

Of all the bullshit of the last four years, this one will forever surprise me. Had a ton of "never Trump" republican acquaintances in my Facebook feed, and once Kavanaugh happened they all just pivoted, complete with how "the disgraceful actions of the Democrats" somehow forced them to do it.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

New @FEC
filing: Trump Victory paid ~$400,000 to Trump Hotel in Q2 alone—steering over $3 MILLION in donations from presidential campaign donors to Trump family, properties & businesses with his 2020 re-election campaign & Trump MAGA joint fundraising cmte—$17.4M+ counting 2016.

New lobbyist bundler steering money to Trump: Citizens United's DAVID BOSSIE—who was condemned by Trump 2020 over allegations he used Trump's name for a political group to scam elderly Republican voters for his own financial gain but given a new campaign role months later.

Read more about how Trump campaign lobbyist bundler David Bossie's alleged scam PAC spent more on copies of Bossie's book & funneling money to his Citizens United groups than on polical activity while targeting elderly donors in
@CampaignLegal's report: https://campaignlegal.org/update/how-public-exposure-stymied-impact-presidential-coalitions-deceptive-fundraising-tactics…

Trump gets mad at Bossie for stealing money from seniors and lining his own pockets so Trump fires him. Trump thinks about this for a hot minute and decides that stealing from seniors is fine as long as he is the beneficiery, re-hires Bossie to steal for him.

Oct 28, 2017
Of all the bullshit of the last four years, this one will forever surprise me. Had a ton of "never Trump" republican acquaintances in my Facebook feed, and once Kavanaugh happened they all just pivoted, complete with how "the disgraceful actions of the Democrats" somehow forced them to do it.

Yeah it was a huge WTF moment. They even admitted that he was an awful judge and the rape allegations were valid enough to remove his nomination. But apparently we have to give this rapist who is a bad law practitioner a lifetime seat in the most important court in the land because of the Democrats????

It was basically the point where I figured that anyone still identifying as a Republican is a lost cause. They're still Republicans because there's something broken in their brains.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

The Susan Collinsing effect. I'll never forgive her for getting up there and grandstanding about how Dems were the problem. The entire GOP platform is "own the Libs" and make rich people richer. That's it.
The entire party has Oppositional Defiance Disorder. (I'll exclude Mitt Romney.)

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

Lmao, he finally did it.

This only took long enough. If you honestly ask me, Parscale couldn't give two shits about trump or maga. He was there to punch in and punch out, and rake in millions. I read some time ago the exorbitant fees his data operations outfit was charging Trump back in 2016. Like 10 times high. Trump being the clown show of course paid him up.
I would like another Ohio poll. Last few had Biden ahead, but only by 2 points. Would like to see if that has widened at all. Last one was June 24th.
I dont particularly care about Midwest anymore even though Biden has better traction in it. We should flip GA, TX and AZ and make those our battleground states moving forward. With those trending blue, we can finally stop worrying about shitty midwest (as someone who's been living in Midwest for 20 years).

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
This only took long enough. If you honestly ask me, Parscale couldn't give two shits about trump or maga. He was there to punch in and punch out, and rake in millions. I read some time ago the exorbitant fees his data operations outfit was charging Trump back in 2016. Like 10 times high. Trump being the clown show of course paid him up.

I dont particularly care about Midwest anymore even though Biden has better traction in it. We should flip GA, TX and AZ and make those our battleground states moving forward. With those trending blue, we can finally stop worrying about shitty midwest (as someone who's been living in Midwest for 20 years).

Apparently Trump paid Parscale through Parscale's LLC which then paid Trump's large, adult children and their wives/girlfriends.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Not if he crashes and burns this November and spends the next four years in legal trouble and lawsuits. The GOP will be trying to decouple themselves from him (difficult given they've completely become his party in the most short sighted manner), he'll be attacking them as well as Dems, perhaps even more given he'll view them as betraying them.

Plus, he'll officially be a loser, and perhaps a massive one at that if Biden really does end up winning by 10 points or something crazy like that.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Not if he crashes and burns this November and spends the next four years in legal trouble and lawsuits. The GOP will be trying to decouple themselves from him (difficult given they've completely become his party in the most short sighted manner), he'll be attacking them as well as Dems, perhaps even more given he'll view them as betraying them.

Plus, he'll officially be a loser, and perhaps a massive one at that if Biden really does end up winning by 10 points or something crazy like that.

Trump won't be kingmaker in any scenario I can imagine. His brand will be tarnished and he'll be in a constant battle over his legacy (legally and PR-wise). Somebody who isn't too close to his orbit now is going to emerge as the Culture War Champion and going to make the GOP primaries a true shitshow though.

What I am really curious about it what the narrative in 2022 ends up being. That will set the stage for 2024.

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
The 2024 GOP Primary is going to be a disaster, even greater than 2016. I think GOP hopefuls will take all the wrong lessons out of Trump's defeat (if it happens) and think that they need to double down on the racist populism but "be smarter about it." Cruz, Rubio, Cotton, DeSantis, Pence, Haley, Sasse, One of the Trump Brood (probably Don Jr.), and other right wing billionaires who think they can recreate that Trump magic are all going to run. They will all try to outdo each other in right-wing rhetoric.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
The 2024 GOP Primary is going to be a disaster, even greater than 2016. I think GOP hopefuls will take all the wrong lessons out of Trump's defeat (if it happens) and think that they need to double down on the racist populism but "be smarter about it." Cruz, Rubio, Cotton, DeSantis, Pence, Haley, Sasse, One of the Trump Brood (probably Don Jr.), and other right wing billionaires who think they can recreate that Trump magic are all going to run. They will all try to outdo each other in right-wing rhetoric.

How many Q nuts will be running?

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
evza1e9vrua3dzrhi8xbca.png
news.gallup.com

U.S. Party Preferences Have Swung Sharply Toward Democrats

Americans' party preferences have shifted dramatically this year, from a two-point Republican advantage in January to an 11-point Democratic edge in June.

Status
Not open for further replies.