• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AkimboChainz

Oct 28, 2017

The difference between 2016 and 2020 is pretty simple if you compare this poll to the late June 2016 Q-poll. % of people who feel STRONGLY unfavorable about a candidate in June 2016: Clinton: 50% Trump: 48% and in July 2020... Biden: 31% Trump: 53%

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

Looks like they rolled the dice and came up like shit, trying to roll it back a bit.
Fauci even being in the shot is absolutely intentional in the most chicken shit way ever by this admin.

That -21 is literally the Biden primary strategy that COVID will not allow us to close, but upside is Trump is losing whites in droves.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
To no ones surprise, Trump approved Navarro's attack on Fauci

One of the president's biographers, Michael D'Antonio, views Trump's struggle to mobilize a national response to the pandemic as something that would have required a greater attention span and ability to think outside his own self-interest than he has.

"P.T. Barnum is not who you want leading you in a pandemic," D'Antonio said.

"None of the talents and inclinations Trump brought to the presidency as showman, developer and reality TV star are sufficient now," he said. "Studying something with dedication or seriousness, learning a new thing — that's never been his strength."
That gave me a good chuckle.

Or in other words, the DSCC spends money supporting the candidates it considers most likely to win.

Now we are gonna have to fight this jackass for progress if Dems win control of the Senate. Hope AOC primaries him
Ocasio-Cortez is no dummy, she's not going to throw away her congressional seat like that. Schumer is an expert organizer who, unlike most of the incumbents who've gotten knocked off in recent years, isn't disconnected from his state (indeed, on his last re-election campaign he dedicated extra time over the years making sure he visited as much of the upstate as he could just to drive up his numbers, which was totally unnecessary from an electoral standpoint).

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Delving deeper into that poll:

Do not trust Trump about COVID-19:
67-30

Trust Dr. Fauci: 65-26

Trust CDC: 61-33

RE-OPENING OF SCHOOLS

Disapprove of how Trump is handling school reopening: 61-29

It is unsafe to send students to school: 62-31

It is unsafe to send students to college: 59-34

Just absolutely brutal numbers for an incumbent.

Last edited:

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

poll.qu.edu

Poll Results | Quinnipiac University Poll

Quinnipiac University Poll’s list of recent and past poll results for political races, state and national elections, and issues of public concern.

BIDEN VS. TRUMP: THE ISSUES
Voters now give Biden a slight lead over Trump in a direct match up when it comes to handling the economy. Voters say 50 - 45 percent that Biden would do a better job handling the economy, a reversal from June when Trump held a slight lead 51 - 46 percent.
Asked about other key issues:
* On handling a crisis, Biden leads 57 - 38 percent;
* On handling health care, Biden leads 58 - 35 percent;
* On the coronavirus response, Biden leads 59 - 35 percent;
* On addressing racial inequality, Biden leads 62 - 30 percent.

🚨

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
On the Russian bounty issue:

"Seventy-seven percent of voters say they are either "very concerned" or "somewhat concerned" about reports that Russia paid bounties for the killing of American soldiers in Afghanistan. Twenty percent say they are "not so concerned" or "not concerned at all."

Fifty-nine percent say they think President Trump is not telling the truth regarding what he knew about reports of Russian payments to kill American troops. Twenty-nine percent say they think he is telling the truth."

This story will be a major part of the campaign, I think.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
I'm telling you guys..we truly do not know how bad it can get for Trump. One, the overall situation is going to continue to deteriorate in the next 4-6 months- sports and schools getting cancelled, new lockdowns, and a rising death toll. Two, we literally have no idea what happens with a candidate actively does the opposite of what he needs to do to tighten the race.

Biden +14-15 is possible.

The interesting thing to me is that his approval rating on specific issues like handling of Covid is now well below his general approval. There's a lot that feeds into this (economy, won't vote for a D) but I think it means there is a possibility his floor is under 40%, since Covid is likely the issue in November.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
That Q poll looks like something you'd see in a dream and then someone splashes cold water in your face to wake you up. Those are surely historically bad for an incumbent?

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Have pollsters fixed the issues they had in the 2016 election? We know 2018 was a totally different story, but Trump wasn't on the ticket then.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
lol

Jennifer Jacobs @JenniferJJacobs

Pence tweets a photo of himself listening to Fauci.

Mike Pence @Mike_Pence

Productive meeting of the @WhiteHouse Coronavirus Task Force today. As we continue to put the health and well-being of the American people first, we are working closely with states to move forward, safely reopening our Nation and get Americans back to work.

ZR0EPLl.png

3:44 PM · Jul 15, 2020
4:03 PM · Jul 15, 2020

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Why did Clinton poll better with Hispanics, and what can Biden do to close the gap?

Clinton invested heavily into the demographic and states with heavy hispanic populations. At this point we're pretty late to the game for it and COIVD isn't going to help the matter. Spanish outreach is hard as hell and Biden didn't have the resources to even attempt it during the primary. One can argue it also has to do with the demographic skewing younger, but honestly I recall listening to I forget what podcast it was that stipulated that the 2016 take away was that Hispanic outreach for as great as it looked on paper, ultimately handed nothing over for Clinton. That perhaps the dem take away was that it wasn't particularly necessary to invest as heavily. Which I dunno, man if that was the ultimate take away then it worries me particularly going into the current general where it feels like we've been under siege for fucking years now under this admin. Shit sucks, I'm hopeful that someone in the campaign makes real efforts for improving those numbers. Might help out in states considering we're pushing for as much of a chance in toss up states but who knows. The most we have is reports from a month or so ago confused as to what Biden's message to hispanic voters even was.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

For years we speculated on what it would take to sink Trump to a solid -25 approval. Turns out it was 20% unemployment, no major sports, caping for the Confederacy in the midst of social unrest, and him telling kids, teachers, waitresses, and grandmas to please die for the economy.

MORE. I want to see -40

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Clinton invested heavily into the demographic and states with heavy hispanic populations. At this point we're pretty late to the game for it and COIVD isn't going to help the matter. Spanish outreach is hard as hell and Biden didn't have the resources to even attempt it during the primary. One can argue it also has to do with the demographic skewing younger, but honestly I recall listening to I forget what podcast it was that stipulated that the 2016 take away was that Hispanic outreach for as great as it looked on paper, ultimately handed nothing over for Clinton. That perhaps the dem take away was that it wasn't particularly necessary to invest as heavily. Which I dunno, man if that was the ultimate take away then it worries me particularly going into the current general where it feels like we've been under siege for fucking years now under this admin. Shit sucks, I'm hopeful that someone in the campaign makes real efforts for improving those numbers. Might help out in states considering we're pushing for as much of a chance in toss up states but who knows. The most we have is reports from a month or so ago confused as to what Biden's message to hispanic voters even was.

Thanks for the explantion. Dems really need to step up their game here if they want to take advantage of the rapidly changing demographics. I'm still surprised Biden is polling so close to Trump when Trump has shown repeatedly how racist he is and how much he hates immigrants - and Trump has somehow increased his popularity by 7 points. It boggles.

Deleted member 73234

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2020
Had a bit of a moment just now going to cnbc.com and seeing the breaking news ticker at the top say "Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg d..." only to have it scroll and say "discharged".

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

The difference between 2016 and 2020 is pretty simple if you compare this poll to the late June 2016 Q-poll. % of people who feel STRONGLY unfavorable about a candidate in June 2016: Clinton: 50% Trump: 48% and in July 2020... Biden: 31% Trump: 53%

Trump's "strongly unfavorable" up only 5% in 4 years, after a total dumpster fire of a presidency and more scandals than anyone can count.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
On the Russian bounty issue:

"Seventy-seven percent of voters say they are either "very concerned" or "somewhat concerned" about reports that Russia paid bounties for the killing of American soldiers in Afghanistan. Twenty percent say they are "not so concerned" or "not concerned at all."

Fifty-nine percent say they think President Trump is not telling the truth regarding what he knew about reports of Russian payments to kill American troops. Twenty-nine percent say they think he is telling the truth."

This story will be a major part of the campaign, I think.

Had not considered that there was almost no support for a counter-narrative to bounty-gate. The best the WH could come up with was "he didn't know at the time", and now that it's out there, he still hasn't made a statement on it. Nearly 80% being concerned about it means that it's going to get brought up on the debate stage.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Infrastructure speech in Georgia:

Daniel Dale @ddale8

In today's official (taxpayer-funded) speech in Georgia, Trump is now attacking "the Biden administration," when Biden was vice president, and attacking Biden's current proposals at length.

4:20 PM · Jul 15, 2020

--------------

Twitter Videos:

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018
So, DeWine has a press conference scheduled in Ohio for 5. What are the odds on it being some sort of shutdown of the state? I'm thinking it's just a mask mandate and maybe closing high risk areas.
The absolute farthest I could see him going would be shutting down bars and indoor dining, but I doubt he'll even do that much. A mask mandate is more likely, but even that is kind of pointless when none of the cops around here are willing to enforce the mandate. DeWine was crushing it in the beginning of all of this (and so was Dr. Acton, who is brilliant, looks like my mom, and will live forever in my heart), but I can't tell if the fuck-ups lately have just been him "coming home" and showing his true colors, caving to pressure from protesters, or if his ability to respond to this adequately has been completely knee-caped by lack of federal support. Either way, as an Ohioan, the COVID-180 from his admin has been infuriating.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the explantion. Dems really need to step up their game here if they want to take advantage of the rapidly changing demographics. I'm still surprised Biden is polling so close to Trump when Trump has shown repeatedly how racist he is and how much he hates immigrants - and Trump has somehow increased his popularity by 7 points. It boggles.
It's astounding. Just like how Trump has continually polled well on the economy despite doing everything in his power to fuck it up.

Mindboggling how the Hispanic disparity isn't as large as the AA one. Trump has been an anti-Hispanic racist since before he was even president. Yet his numbers improve? Huh?

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
The main issue is also that the expectation is you seemingly triage the waning support with stop gap solution last second when previous elections show even concerted efforts are tough. 2016 Clinton campaign found that the negative ads don't necessarily always work against Trump for Hispanic voters. It isn't just a monolith of immigration, though frankly the GOP force the nation's hand to assume that's it. 2016 showed that like most other people we just want stability... jobs and a working economy that's equitable, with immigration tailing behind in second because we became the focus of the issue in the first place. At the same time, 2016 identifies the problem that outreach to Hispanics is tough, a lot of pollsters don't hit us and a lot of eligible Hispanics simply don't vote.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...2016/heres-what-happened-with-the-latino-vote

Mr. Trump was supposed to be the bucket of cold water that aroused the sleeping giant, producing not only a stronger preference for the Democratic candidate but also, more important, a spike in turnout. In 2012, with immigration reform on the line, more than 12 million Latino voters stayed home, producing a turnout rate of 48 percent compared with 64 percent for whites and 67 percent for blacks.

The much ballyhooed and chronicled "Trump Effect" was supposed to have produced a surge in naturalizations and voter registration over the past year, and news organizations were churning out stories about the "surge" in Latino voting even after the polls closed Tuesday.

While more time and data is needed to get a full picture of Latino turnout this year, at first glance it appears Latino numbers were up, and perhaps significantly in some places, but that in fact the giant was barely stirred.

There's no single shot solution, I can tell you from experience canvassing locally that registering older Spanish voters is incredibly harder than the younger demos. I don't really have a solution other than to just keep plugging away. Again from my own experience just getting one member of a Spanish speaking family going and jazzed for voting has a much bigger cascading effect when you deal with multi-family home situations. Knocking down the kids first then they knock down the parent as a voter was the strategy we were given and idk, I think that works, but it's still hard. With COVID, that kind of outreach just doesn't seem possible though, I don't know how you overcome that problem.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I'm telling you guys..we truly do not know how bad it can get for Trump. One, the overall situation is going to continue to deteriorate in the next 4-6 months- sports and schools getting cancelled, new lockdowns, and a rising death toll. Two, we literally have no idea what happens with a candidate actively does the opposite of what he needs to do to tighten the race.

Biden +14-15 is possible.
Oh for sure. Every time I run into someone in real life who dejectedly says they just know Trump is going to win again and how I can't trust the polls, and blah blah blah, I just ask them:

When was the last time that Trump made something better?
When was the last time that the month you are living in was better than the month that came before it?
What do you think Trump can do between now and November to change anything for the better, and does it seem like something he would actually do?

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
The main issue is also that the expectation is you seemingly triage the waning support with stop gap solution last second when previous elections show even concerted efforts are tough. 2016 Clinton campaign found that the negative ads don't necessarily always work against Trump for Hispanic voters. It isn't just a monolith of immigration, though frankly the GOP force the nation's hand to assume that's it. 2016 showed that like most other people we just want stability... jobs and a working economy that's equitable, with immigration tailing behind in second because we became the focus of the issue in the first place. At the same time, 2016 identifies the problem that outreach to Hispanics is tough, a lot of pollsters don't hit us and a lot of eligible Hispanics simply don't vote.

There's no single shot solution, I can tell you from experience canvassing locally that registering older Spanish voters is incredibly harder than the younger demos. I don't really have a solution other than to just keep plugging away. Again from my own experience just getting one member of a Spanish speaking family going and jazzed for voting has a much bigger cascading effect when you deal with multi-family home situations. Knocking down the kids first then they knock down the parent as a voter was the strategy we were given and idk, I think that works, but it's still hard. With COVID, that kind of outreach just doesn't seem possible though, I don't know how you overcome that problem.

I guess I was expecting his polling to decrease as younger Hispanics became eligible to vote. Instead, it goes up. We need to get more minorites excited about politics and I know that's going to be really tough - especially seeing how broken the system really is.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Clinton was only beating Trump by +2 in June of 2016? Holy moly.
Everyone was soooo damn sure she was going to win... but the signs were all there...

So many people are soooo damn sure Trump will pull a rabbit out of his hat and turn things around and eek out a slim EC victory again... but the signs are all there...

Status
Not open for further replies.