• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The way NY has been handling counting its absentee ballots for the primary is unacceptable. 25% rejection rate in the city and many counties not releasing updates until they're all counted, and it's already been 3 weeks. They need to get their act together for the general.

Juna

Nov 26, 2017
A manic episode is great for announcing to run for president. It's equally as terrible for actually getting the work done.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

The source had been approached about going to Florida on West's behalf to help gather the signatures needed to make the ballot in the state by the July 15 deadline. This person was offered $5,000 for the week's work. In order to qualify for the ballot in the Sunshine State, West would need to gather 132,781 valid signatures from Florida voters in less than a week.

On the morning of July 9, TMZ reported that West's family was concerned that the billionaire rapper was suffering a bipolar episode based on his presidential aspirations. The well-sourced tabloid website added "our sources say his family and those close to him are worried, but they believe things will stabilize as they have in the past."

Sounds like it went about as well as anyone could have predicted.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine how bad Trump's polls are going to be when some schools re-open and kids start dying. Aw who am I kidding, no one gives a fuck when they're killed by guns, so why now?

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Manu Raju @mkraju

Outdoors in late August in Florida

Maggie Haberman @maggieNYT

NEW - Republicans Said to Be Planning to Move Some Convention Events Outdoors. Decision made last night in meeting with potus

12:57 PM · Jul 14, 2020
1:16 PM · Jul 14, 2020

www.nytimes.com

Republicans Said to Be Planning to Move Some Convention Events Outdoors (Published 2020)

With the coronavirus surging in Florida, officials are examining outdoor venues near the arena in Jacksonville, but it remains uncertain how many people will be allowed to attend.

With coronavirus cases surging in Florida, Republicans are planning to move the three nights of their national convention from an indoor arena to an outdoor venue in Jacksonville, but it's still unclear how many people will be allowed to attend the events, people familiar with the discussions said Tuesday.
Officials met Monday night to discuss shifting the events of Aug. 25, 26, and 27 out of the VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena, where the indoor program was scheduled to take place, including President Trump's acceptance speech on the final night. The two outdoor options they've been examining are near the arena, the people familiar with the discussions said.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine how bad Trump's polls are going to be when some schools re-open and kids start dying. Aw who am I kidding, no one gives a fuck when they're killed by guns, so why now?
It will be worse politically. A LOT of rural people don't believe their kids will be affected by guns in school. COVID-19 is everywhere.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, that could be explained away as a freak accident by a homicidal maniac that needed psychiatric care!

This would be a more purposeful decision to re-open schools without proper precautions in place. I don't think anyone is going to come out a winner from this upcoming debacle though, the best solution was controlling the virus in the Spring so that something as vital as schools could re-open safely.

Manu Raju @mkraju

Maggie Haberman @maggieNYT

NEW - Republicans Said to Be Planning to Move Some Convention Events Outdoors. Decision made last night in meeting with potus

12:57 PM · Jul 14, 2020

www.nytimes.com

Republicans Said to Be Planning to Move Some Convention Events Outdoors (Published 2020)

With the coronavirus surging in Florida, officials are examining outdoor venues near the arena in Jacksonville, but it remains uncertain how many people will be allowed to attend.

With coronavirus cases surging in Florida, Republicans are planning to move the three nights of their national convention from an indoor arena to an outdoor venue in Jacksonville, but it's still unclear how many people will be allowed to attend the events, people familiar with the discussions said Tuesday.

Officials met Monday night to discuss shifting the events of Aug. 25, 26, and 27 out of the VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena, where the indoor program was scheduled to take place, including President Trump's acceptance speech on the final night. The two outdoor options they've been examining are near the arena, the people familiar with the discussions said.

Is it wrong for me to hope for at least a small tropical storm to hit them?

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I have a small hypothetical/question that I have been wondering about: I know there is a way to get around the filibuster by using budget reconciliation to pass a bill with 50 votes. What type of bill could fall under budget reconciliation and how much can be included in it? Would this be the only way to pass legislation without taking out the filibuster?

Isro

Oct 30, 2017

They will just blame the local schools for not following the impossible guideline that the schools had to implement without additional funding.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Seung Min Kim @seungminkim

The latest from the White House press office:

UPDATE: The President holds a press conference at 5:00PM.

(***Friendly reminder that it is not a press conference if he does not take questions***)

1:45 PM · Jul 14, 2020

Monica Alba @albamonica

BREAKING: President Trump to hold a "press conference" in the Rose Garden at 5 pm today. Unclear what this is about.

1:46 PM · Jul 14, 2020

Peter Baker @peterbakernyt

Trump to have news conference at 5 pm, White House says, after weeks of largely avoiding sustained questions from reporters.

1:46 PM · Jul 14, 2020

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

NEW from @pewresearch: The share of U.S. adults who say illegal immigration is a "very big" problem for the nation is down sharply since 2019

Pretty hard to worry about a caravan when Americans can't even leave the damn country and everyone is too afraid to come into the country. 20 point drop from the highest is telling that even hardened republicans don't care.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

Manu Raju @mkraju

NEW - Republicans Said to Be Planning to Move Some Convention Events Outdoors. Decision made last night in meeting with potus​

www.nytimes.com

All his foundation will melt off and his dead muskrat hair piece will overheat.

Has anyone else noticed that his piggly little eyes are almost swollen shut? I think it was in yesterday's Dear Leader session that I saw he can barely open them. I don't know if he's super high or it's from some ailment. A couple months ago, he could barely open his right eye. Now it's both.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Pretty hard to worry about a caravan when Americans can't even leave the damn country and everyone is too afraid to come into the country. 20 point drop from the highest is telling that even hardened republicans don't care.

When Trump was elected I was worried he might reverse the growing acceptance of immigrants that had been happening.

I'm glad that was way off the mark.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
All his foundation will melt off and his dead muskrat hair piece will overheat.

Has anyone else noticed that his piggly little eyes are almost swollen shut? I think it was in yesterday's Dear Leader session that I saw he can barely open them. I don't know if he's super high or it's from some ailment. A couple months ago, he could barely open his right eye. Now it's both.

whynotboth.gif

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Fact that jumped out at me reading Mary Trump's book: Donald's grandfather Friedrich died of the 1918 flu.

its-like-poetry-it-rhymes.jpg

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I have a small hypothetical/question that I have been wondering about: I know there is a way to get around the filibuster by using budget reconciliation to pass a bill with 50 votes. What type of bill could fall under budget reconciliation and how much can be included in it? Would this be the only way to pass legislation without taking out the filibuster?
Typically the bills have to be related to the budget/spending, which is a pretty wide swathe of subjects. There isn't a limit on how expensive or encompassing they can be afaik, but the trick is they need to be scored as budget-neutral after 10 years or they'll automatically sunset after that time. Because they have to be related to the budget I believe you couldn't pass something like LGBTQ rights protections with the process.

Without 60 votes this is the only way to pass legislation, yes. You can do budget reconciliation up to 2 (or was it 3 with trickery?) times a year.

I think this is accurate, but welcome to be corrected.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
The thing about schools is that this is an issue where everyone should be aggressive in getting kids back. The cost of not having kids in class is immense.

But it all comes back to hazard controls , and that capital investment was needed in the first half of the year into schools to make them COVID-safer (not safe, but safer) and into PPE stockpiles so workers and teachers could also be safer.

Regarding the GOP national convention-north Florida is almost uninhabitable even in the evenings in August-that's when things are at the hottest and most humid, and there are near-daily afternoon showers and thunderstorms, some of which can be severe. You can't hold an outdoor convention time without having a plan B indoor venue, and you can't make a indoor venue safe.

No one is going to this, just cancel it.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Stuff like rebates for windows and appliances don't seem sexy, but it's the kind of thing that landlords jump on (because of tax interactions on top of the rebates) that makes their units better and in turn makes their renters lives better (because they get a nicer place). It's a big deal for missing-middle housing.

Fed moving to electric cars is kind of a no-brainer. The reduction in cost from fleet maintenance and fuel alone is massive.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
P
Stuff like rebates for windows and appliances don't seem sexy, but it's the kind of thing that landlords jump on (because of tax interactions on top of the rebates) that makes their units better and in turn makes their renters lives better (because they get a nicer place). It's a big deal for missing-middle housing.

Fed moving to electric cars is kind of a no-brainer. The reduction in cost from fleet maintenance and fuel alone is massive.
It's a great speech. Dat Biden energy

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry additional post, didn't occur to me that Shapiro left Wire too.

This would be some unholy union of insufferable assholes.

Also that presser is about China.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
i think its great news the gutter trash of opinionated blogging are going to all work together on a single project. Makes them easier to ignore.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
China conference is probably related to South China Sea. Escalation and near war is one of the few cards he has left in his deck.

Problem is we can't really move forward right now in South China. Navy has requisitions out for the platform we'd need, LAW, but that's 3 years to the first and 7 years until we have the fleet.

Navy is not prepared for South China Sea escalation.

Status
Not open for further replies.