• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Rallying behind statues is going to be even less effective than rallying behind the caravan before the midterms, and that strategy helped give us 40 house seats.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
Do you all ever catch yourselves thinking about what if the unthinkable happens in November? I actually try to envision it so that I can be somewhat mentally prepared for the fuckery. If we could take the Senate, at least that would provide some sort of check on pig vomit.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Do you all ever catch yourselves thinking about what if the unthinkable happens in November? I actually try to envision it so that I can be somewhat mentally prepared for the fuckery. If we could take the Senate, at least that would provide some sort of check on pig vomit.

NGL, i'd probably not look at any news, off topic discussions or any type of OT like this if Trump wins again, at least for a while.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Unlike 2016 I am mentally prepared this time in case he somehow steals the election one more time. One of the hard lessons from 2016 I guess. I couldn't even think of Trump winning back then and treated him like the clown he was up until Pennsylvania was called and he won. I didn't post on era for months from the aftershock to my brain. You most definitely should be mentally prepared for your own sanity's sake.

fyi if Trump is winning 2020 he is not losing the Senate. It will be hardfought to keep the House in that scenario.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
50-64 is still mostly boomers.

EDIT: beaten.

Yes, this is the Reagan demo. I'm in it (53). All I can say is a lot of my conservative high school classmates got a lot more liberal as they aged.

If Reagan were to run today, he'd immediately be labeled as a Romney-esque traitor by the Trumpers. That is NOT to downplay the horrible, horrible shit Reagan did, but more to point just how completely batshit the GoP has gotten that they would reject a man whom most of them consider to be only one notch below Jesus Christ (and maybe even above him, I don't know).

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am legitimately leaving the USA if Trump wins again. I've already decided on it. I seriously hope it doesn't happen, but I gotta be realistic and think there is a chance. He's already been caught trying to get other countries to help. No telling what is going on right now that we don't know about. After all the damage he's done in the last 3 1/2 years there's no way the USA withstands another 4 years.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am legitimately leaving the USA if Trump wins again. I've already decided on it. I seriously hope it doesn't happen, but I gotta be realistic and think there is a chance. He's already been caught trying to get other countries to help. No telling what is going on right now that we don't know about. After all the damage he's done in the last 3 1/2 years there's no way the USA withstands another 4 years.
Bobo you need to calm down dude.

Seriously.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how Trump has a path to the nomination in the current climate. Feels like Dems should be able to keep the House and get the Senate and Presidency. Something really wrong would have to happen in the next 3-4 months for him to win

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
www.vice.com

Inside the Plot to Kill the Open Technology Fund

This U.S. program provides encryption technologies to journalists and activists living under repressive regimes. But a Trump appointee wants to tear it all down.

The government and the media pretending we don't fund Tor and Signal is the funniest shit ever.
I think we at least admitting Signal now?

This was the worst kept secret ever, and I think if you want to do that shit, do it in the open.

Oh and fuck all those radio free whatever, shut that cold war garbage down. Or put Seb Gorka in charge like you promised. I can use some comedy.

Last edited:

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see how Trump has a path to the nomination in the current climate. Feels like Dems should be able to keep the House and get the Senate and Presidency. Something really wrong would have to happen in the next 3-4 months for him to win

someone in the White House probably said awhile ago that his best path to winning is for Biden to get corona and he went with it.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
www.vice.com

Inside the Plot to Kill the Open Technology Fund

This U.S. program provides encryption technologies to journalists and activists living under repressive regimes. But a Trump appointee wants to tear it all down.

The government and the media pretending we don't fund Tor and Signal is the funniest shit ever.
I think we at least admitting Signal now?

This was the worst kept secret ever, and I think if you want to do that shit, do it in the open.

Oh and fuck all those radio free whatever, shut that cold war garbage down. Or put Seb Gorka in charge like you promised. I can use some comedy.
pikachumildlysurprised.bmp

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand

Seems like we are on a path to a Biden landslide between prolonged pandemic and anti-BLM double/triple down on top of a slew of unfulfilled promises and damage caused.

Individual "minor" scandals aren't going to change much. The only things that seem like they could turn things upside down further would be Trump resigning/not running, Trump or Biden dying or being hospitalized, a major terrorist attack, an assassination attempt, or an act of war by someone like Iran. Those all seem unlikely but individually might be heavy enough to throw a big wrench of uncertainty into the works. And I think we are already deep into territory where convention and precedent can't shine much light on what is to come.

While you can rationalize away the benefit to the GOP for most of these, I think there a possibility that some of these events would give moderates and Republican voters enough of an excuse to "forget the past" and rally behind Trump or the Republican nominee. Whether that outweighs the damage of what is happening who knows.

I've been following American politics since 2004 when Bush got re-elected, and every election (or associated primaries) seems to set a new bar for craziness. Surely it can't get crazier. And then it does. What will make this cycle even crazier than it already seems to be is no matter the outcome of the election, I think the reaction from the losing side will be "bad".

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
His base has been slamming Natty Lights, grilling out, and shooting off fireworks for the past 3 or 4 days and they have at least another 2 or 3 day supply remaining.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Back to the classics; Biden is a Nancy Pelosi Liberal. Remember when the 'squad' was supposed to be the face of the Dem party or something?

newtgingrich @newtgingrich

Several people have tweeted asking how I could be afraid of Joe Biden. I am not. I AM afraid of the Biden-Pelosi-Schumer machine that would emerge if the Democrats won the White House, House and Senate. Precisely because Biden is weak he would be dominated by Pelosi and Schumer.

2:33 AM · Jul 4, 2020

Alex Burns @alexburnsNYT

I doubt this is what Newt intends, but this seems more like an early version of a Sept-Oct argument for keeping the Republican Senate to hold back President Biden, than for re-electing Trump

"Biden isn't scary, but total Dem control is" is an argument for electing Republicans, but it's not really an argument for re-electing Trump ...

8:28 AM · Jul 4, 2020

🤐

Brent Staples @BrentNYT

How gullible is America?

WA6RZYQ.jpg

9:21 AM · Jul 4, 2020

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Trump's last few pieces of election "ammo" are the Durham probe, trying to take credit for a COVID cure, and potential Supreme Court shenanigans.

US police did a good job destroying his "unruly mob" portrayal.

Steve Hotze left a voicemail for Texas Gov. Greg Abbott asking him to order rioters be killed

The Texas Tribune obtained the voicemail Friday via a public information request
https://t.co/gRJwy7ihaY

Shit like this obviously doesn't help.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Steve Hotze left a voicemail for Texas Gov. Greg Abbott asking him to order rioters be killed

The Texas Tribune obtained the voicemail Friday via a public information request
https://t.co/gRJwy7ihaY

Shit like this obviously doesn't help.

>

Senator John Cornyn @JohnCornyn

Absolutely disgusting and reprehensible.

8:11 AM · Jul 4, 2020

g6Ylz2N.gif

Some more Cornyn:

🥴

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Joseph:

Joe Biden @JoeBiden

Our nation was founded on a simple idea: We're all created equal. We've never lived up to it — but we've never stopped trying. This Independence Day, let's not just celebrate those words, let's commit to finally fulfill them. Happy #FourthOfJuly!

10:00 AM · Jul 4, 2020

Donald hasn't tweeted yet.

Edit: Barry:

Barack Obama @BarackObama

Our founding promise has never been guaranteed. Each generation has been called to bring us a little closer to our highest ideals—and history's calling on us right now. So let's all do whatever we can to help @JoeBiden expand that promise to all Americans.

10:35 AM · Jul 4, 2020

Last edited:

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
>

Senator John Cornyn @JohnCornyn

Absolutely disgusting and reprehensible.

8:11 AM · Jul 4, 2020

g6Ylz2N.gif

Some more Cornyn:

🥴

Oh great. A preview of the conservative media misunderstanding Hamilton in the same way stupid people act like Blazing Saddles was just this ode to being able to freely say the N-word. Could that movie have been made today? Easily, with some modification. As with literally every piece of media that's older than like, ten years.

Lin-Manuel doesn't really deify the founding fathers in Hamilton, except for Washington - I'm sure if that show had been written today, he would have done more to deliberately paint Washington as a flawed individual. On the flip side, the show makes complete villains out of Jefferson and Burr... because they kind of were. And Hamilton himself is sympathetic but constantly screws up.

But that all gets away from the underlying theme which is LMM appropriating these historical figures and relating their stories to the struggles of current minorities. For Christ's sake, Hamilton is an immigrant, and the show does not hold back in beating you over the head with this ("immigrants, we get the job done"). Seeing crotchety old fucks like Cornyn try and own it after spending the first few years wrapped up in white fragility (remember, this is the show Trump declared "overrated" because they took the time to tell his VP not to fuck it up - advice he did not heed) at the idea that this Puerto Rican was making the Founders black, miss me with that shit.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I would really believe for anyone else that they were trying to lose the election at this point and keep going into their base for their eventual television endeavor, but it's Trump, so I know he's so stupid that he legitimately thinks he's uniting the country by being racist as fuck somehow.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
👀

(((Harry Enten))) @ForecasterEnten

"GOP internal polling signals a Democratic rout." The GOP has released 0 district polls conducted since April. Dems have released 17. Historically, the difference between # of polls put out by each party is HIGHLY correlated with November's result.

What's fascinating is that before the coronavirus hit, the GOP was putting out more polling... So the timing lines up very well with the public numbers of when Trump's approval started a mostly unabated decline over the last 3 months.

The type of advantage Democrats are having in released internal polling over the past 3 months looks a heck of a lot like 2018... which turned out to be a rout.

11:05 AM · Jul 4, 2020

www.cnn.com

Republican internal polling signals a Democratic rout

Whenever I hear an operative complain about public polling, I have just one thing to say: Put up or shut up. Release your own numbers that show the race in a different place than the public polling, or let the public polling stand. This is especially true in House races, where public polling is...

For Republicans, something needs to change or they're going to get blown out come November.

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
Joseph:

Joe Biden @JoeBiden

Our nation was founded on a simple idea: We're all created equal. We've never lived up to it — but we've never stopped trying. This Independence Day, let's not just celebrate those words, let's commit to finally fulfill them. Happy #FourthOfJuly!

10:00 AM · Jul 4, 2020

Donald hasn't tweeted yet.

Edit: Barry:

Barack Obama @BarackObama

Our founding promise has never been guaranteed. Each generation has been called to bring us a little closer to our highest ideals—and history's calling on us right now. So let's all do whatever we can to help @JoeBiden expand that promise to all Americans.

10:35 AM · Jul 4, 2020

Obama and Joe get it. What should make America great is the ability of citizens to acknowledge its' past flaws and work toward the ideals the founders laid out even if they themselves where hypocrites and failed miserably to do so in multiple areas.

Trump's MAGA slogan has always infuriated me because of this. It's obviously targeted at the white, straight, christian, demographic, since it's only within the last decade we have started to make serious progress for minorities in multiple areas, such as establishing basic rights for the LGBTQ community. It reeks of ignorance, selfishness and malice to want to go back to a prior time time period.

I can't say I've felt much like celebrating the 4th of July these last couple of years with how the country has been acting, but I am sincerely hoping next year will be different. I wish everyone who does feel up to celebrating to have a happy 4th though. Stay safe out there and please follow proper social distancing procedures.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some more Cornyn:

🥴

If only there was a way to figure out what the public and critical response would have been to a musical like Hamilton in 2020.
One can dream...

p.s.
Joking aside, while I doubt it will get canceled or anything, I do think that Hamilton, like pretty much all "america fuck yeah!" stuff will be reevaluated in the future.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Back to the classics; Biden is a Nancy Pelosi Liberal. Remember when the 'squad' was supposed to be the face of the Dem party or something?

newtgingrich @newtgingrich

Several people have tweeted asking how I could be afraid of Joe Biden. I am not. I AM afraid of the Biden-Pelosi-Schumer machine that would emerge if the Democrats won the White House, House and Senate. Precisely because Biden is weak he would be dominated by Pelosi and Schumer.

2:33 AM · Jul 4, 2020

Alex Burns @alexburnsNYT

I doubt this is what Newt intends, but this seems more like an early version of a Sept-Oct argument for keeping the Republican Senate to hold back President Biden, than for re-electing Trump

"Biden isn't scary, but total Dem control is" is an argument for electing Republicans, but it's not really an argument for re-electing Trump ...

8:28 AM · Jul 4, 2020

🤐

Biden is so generic that even his sworn enemies are like "ehh I have a beer with him"

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Oh great. A preview of the conservative media misunderstanding Hamilton in the same way stupid people act like Blazing Saddles was just this ode to being able to freely say the N-word. Could that movie have been made today? Easily, with some modification. As with literally every piece of media that's older than like, ten years.

Lin-Manuel doesn't really deify the founding fathers in Hamilton, except for Washington - I'm sure if that show had been written today, he would have done more to deliberately paint Washington as a flawed individual. On the flip side, the show makes complete villains out of Jefferson and Burr... because they kind of were. And Hamilton himself is sympathetic but constantly screws up.

But that all gets away from the underlying theme which is LMM appropriating these historical figures and relating their stories to the struggles of current minorities. For Christ's sake, Hamilton is an immigrant, and the show does not hold back in beating you over the head with this ("immigrants, we get the job done"). Seeing crotchety old fucks like Cornyn try and own it after spending the first few years wrapped up in white fragility (remember, this is the show Trump declared "overrated" because they took the time to tell his VP not to fuck it up - advice he did not heed) at the idea that this Puerto Rican was making the Founders black, miss me with that shit.
Never mind that Blazing Saddles' mockery of racist types would have conservatives up in arms furious that it was persecuting them if it was released today.

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I dunno what the point of that National Review article is getting at beyond the writer being incredibly upset that people are questioning the portrayal of the "founding fathers" in the musical. Its written like a review of the recorded release that's a result of the coronavirus but 3/4 of it is a guy pouring out nothing but grievance and salt.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Hamilton throws mountains of shade on the founding fathers' treatment of black Americans and specifically Jefferson's slave ownership. It's not subtle.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Vaughn Hillyard @VaughnHillyard

Good morning from Prescott, AZ, where the independent spirit roars on after 250 Arizonans were reported dead from COVID this week. It's only 9am ~ the Frontier Days festival & Prescott Rodeo will be in high gear today. To note, no mask ordinance in Prescott or Yavapai County.

12:32 PM · Jul 4, 2020

Vaughn Hillyard @VaughnHillyard

Today in AZ, a record number of hospitalizations & ICU beds in use. Percent positive rate is down — at 24.3% (still very high). 2,695 new cases. 17 more Arizonans have passed.

11:31 AM · Jul 4, 2020

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Never mind that Blazing Saddles' mockery of racist types would have conservatives up in arms furious that it was persecuting them if it was released today.
Get out is way more biting than Blazing Saddles, but it not being more cartoonish causes it to go over folks heads

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Even with mortality numbers being massaged and tabulated as pneumonia, I would have to imagine that American (and most of the Western Hemisphere's) life expectancy numbers are going to take a hit in the long run.

Economic despondency isn't going to help much either.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
I'm calm. Just stating the reality of the situation. I'm staying pretty positive that he will lose in November though.

Same here... My wife and I are pretty serious about moving I'm November if it goes sideways - that includes moving my 4 children. A Trump win would be an unbridled disaster and that's not hyperbole.

Status
Not open for further replies.