• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get what we are doing right. Like just looking at that map It doesn't even make any sense.

State lines enforce patterns that make these sometimes unintuitive*. For CT and RI, I think it's just the fact that they're smaller states surrounded by states with bigger metro areas taking things very seriously.

*EG "Chicago has strict gun laws but lots of gun violence!" Right, but Indiana is right next to it with barely any gun laws. Doing a map via state lines hides that point.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
Eh, Warren was my #1, but I don't see how you can look at the numbers and think she's a plus in any demographic, and not see that she's a liability in several. I never thought Biden would be pulling these numbers with men, older voters, and white women, but here we are. Warren is 100% not the candidate for those people.

Warren is in a weird situation.

I feel like even though she lasted longer in the primaries compared to Kamala, the outcome was much more damaging to her. Sorta like how winning a silver medal is sometimes worse than winning a bronze medal.

Plus the way that she hemorrhaged a huge part of her base to Buttigieg and then was attacked by Bernie's supporters makes me question who her base is and who will stick up for her, if needed.

1) Where are you two seeing that Warren isn't a plus with any demographic, that she's a liability and damaged? None of the polls that I've seen posted here has hinted at that. It's usually the opposite: that Warren is pretty well-liked by everyone (well, expect for Republicans i guess). I mean there has to be a reason that she's lasted this long. Like, Antrax, you pointed at that you didn't expect Biden to be pulling in such numbers... well, I would say that might be a case of online not reflecting the real world (no one or very few people that I've seen on ERA/Reddit likes Biden, but that clearly didn't represent the real world). The same could be true of Warren.

i.e. NBC News just posted an article that suggests Black support is divided between Warren and Harris (i.e. do they want two old, white people?). You can argue until you are blue that Warren isn't really that progressive/that Harris is more progressive, but I've yet to see any polling to suggest that people are seeing that.

2) She was only attacked by the vocal online Bernie Supporters (i.e. Bernie Bros and Rose Twitter). I wouldn't pay any mind to them as they attacked anyone they saw as a threat. IIRC, the vast majority of supporters (who weren't Bernie Bros/Rose Twitter types) like Warren and still had her as second choice. She seems to have their support as VP based on the polling that I've seen posted.

Overall, though, I think I agree with whoever pointed out earlier (there were several I believe), that there really isn't a bad, Tim Kaine type pick (at least now that Klobuchar is gone). It's just this notion that Warren isn't like/doesn't do anything hasn't been supported by the polling that I've seen.

I love me some Warren, having even donated to her during the primaries, but I feel like she would be far more effective as a senator in a democratically held senate than she would as vice president. Aren't her strengths drafting well thought out progressive legislation and government oversight? Why do people want her in a rather useless executive role? Are they just assuming Biden is going to drop dead in the next couple years and it's a back door way to get a progressive president? I'm also not comfortable at all with trusting Massachusetts to fill the vacancy of one progressive senator with another after what happened with Ted Kennedy and Scott Brown. Retaking the senate this year is in no way guaranteed, so why even put that seat in jeopardy?

IIRC, the Ted Kennedy/Scott Brown thing has been shown to be one of the last reasons not to choose Warren - that the circumstances that led to it just wouldn't happen today. I believe part of it is the fact that the democrats have a veto-proof super majority to over rule the governor's pick to replace Warren until an election, I might be wrong about that and there might be more to it. I think someone (Aaron?) had pointed it out earlier in the thread somewhere.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Where are you two seeing that Warren isn't a plus with any demographic, that she's a liability and damaged? None of the polls that I've seen posted here has hinted at that. It's usually the opposite: that Warren is pretty well-liked by everyone (well, expect for Republicans i guess). I mean there has to be a reason that she's lasted this long. Like, Antrax, you pointed at that you didn't expect Biden to be pulling in such numbers... well, I would say that might be a case of online not reflecting the real world (no one or very few people that I've seen on ERA/Reddit likes Biden, but that clearly didn't represent the real world). The same could be true of Warren.

Hey, I'm not one of those Rose Twitter bubble people. But I just do not see a world where Liz Warren is cool with the olds, white people, and men. I knew Biden polled well in the primaries, but it really is unbelievable the extent that he's polling well with certain demographics.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
something about this latest scandal feels different

maybe it's the fact Trump is underwater already?

am I wrong?

To me it feels like any old run of the mill Trump scandal that has grave national security implications and is forgotten about in 48 hours. I'd be shocked if we're still talking about it by Wednesday.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, I'm not one of those Rose Twitter bubble people. But I just do not see a world where Liz Warren is cool with the olds, white people, and men. I knew Biden polled well in the primaries, but it really is unbelievable the extent that he's polling well with certain demographics.
White people? Why?

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
To me it feels like any old run of the mill Trump scandal that has grave national security implications and is forgotten about in 48 hours. I'd be shocked if we're still talking about it by Wednesday.
I think it really depends on how tomorrow goes. If the first weekday since the story broke is dominated by this story, it may get some traction. If the news media pushes it hard, and especially if the White House responds poorly and loudly, the story could find an audience. Trump is at his most vulnerable, there's blood in the water so the environment around this story is ripe for it to stick. Unlike any other time in the last 3 years, the full scope of the admins scandals seem to be weighing on people. This is beginning to feel like Bush in 06, the bottom is falling out.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

Trump keeps playing into the soul of the nation angle that's the cornerstone of Biden's campaign. Might be better than I originally thought.

Trump is literally the living embodiment of the immoral and corrupt side of America. By his nature, anything he does plays to an opponent beseeching people to prove America is the good guy and not the bad guy.

And as Trump gets desperate, the only thing he can do behave in an even more Trump-like fashion.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

BREAKING— (thread)GOP operatives are for the first time raising the possibility that
@realDonaldTrump
could drop out of the race if his poll numbers don't rebound. Over the weekend I spoke to a sample of major players; one described Trumps current psyche as "fragile." (FOX Business correspondent goes on to take a shot at Biden blah blah blah.)

Anyway, I've always wondered if it got bad enough if Trump would run away. Narcissists can't take a beating and they will quit if it looks like one is inevitable - all the while claiming victory.
If FOX is saying this then watch for some excuse why "we don't deserve him". I doubt it will be health reasons because Trump is too narcissistic to use that excuse.

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the GOP abandoing Trump. But holy shit if they do, they are going to have to throw together a new candidate fast.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017

Anyway, I've always wondered if it got bad enough if Trump would run away. Narcissists can't take a beating and they will quit if it looks like one is inevitable - all the while claiming victory.
If FOX is saying this then watch for some excuse why "we don't deserve him". I doubt it will be health reasons because Trump is too narcissistic to use that excuse.

Who are they gonna run if that happened? Pence? Lmao it would be even more of a blowout

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Dropping out, hmmm, and what happens to the hundreds of millions in donor money he has taken since day one? He's already grifted millions from it.

On November 12, 2012, Colbert announced his intention to dissolve Colbert Super PAC, citing the death of his fictional advisor "Ham Rove", a parody of Karl Rove.[43] Colbert reported that the Super PAC still had nearly $800,000 in funds. Colbert's lawyer, Trevor Potter, advised Stephen that he could form a second anonymous 501(c)(4), then make out a check with the remaining funds to his first 501(c)(4) along with an Agency Letter which instructed the original 501(c)(4) to pay those funds to the second 501(c)(4) and give dispersal instructions to that second 501(c)(4). In doing so, he could avoid telling anyone - even the IRS - where the money went.[44]

On December 13, 2012, Colbert reported that a nonprofit called the "Ham Rove Memorial Foundation," which Colbert was "surprised" he was on the board of, received a donation of $773,704.83, which was the amount that was left over from the Super PAC according to termination reports filed with the FEC.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This guy is always full of shit. I wish there was a way to block specific Twitter profiles on this website.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
If Trump drops out, it won't be because the GOP want him to. Him dropping out would depress Republican turnout even more. I think it's very, very unlikely to happen, especially because he could face criminal charges when he's out of office.

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico

This is bullshit. Gop doesn't operate this way

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I wish. Wouldn't this completely torpedo their chances of winning anything in November?.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more that some GOP are wishing he would resign and putting feelers out. They're stuck with him and will pay the price in November. Good riddance.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Employed Man, Jason Kander.

When I decided to come back to the political conversation after almost two years away, I wasn't sure how I'd be received. We relaunched @Majority54 today, and y'all couldn't have been more supportive and encouraging. It's been a heckuva day and I just want to say THANK YOU

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
GOP well is poisoned, though. The MAGA vote hates Romney. He'd have no real shot at driving turnout. He might gain some non-outwardly racist and "decent" Republicans back from Biden, but I don't think it would offset losing much of the MAGA vote.
Maybe, but can't think of anyone else with near universal name recognition. Cruz? Jeb? Kasich?

It's improbable, I don't even know what the GOP would do with how they've tangled themselves around Trump.

Shout out to Jason Kander!

Absent

Oct 26, 2017

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe, but can't think of anyone else with near universal name recognition. Cruz? Jeb? Kasich?

It's improbable, I don't even know what the GOP would do with how they've tangled themselves around Trump.

Shout out to Jason Kander!
In the incredibly unlikely scenario that Trump and Pence aren't on the ticket, they would probably go with somebody who has no presidential aspirations but is on board with the base that would turn out for Senate races, knowing that they had no shot at the presidency. For the same reason as Romney, they wouldn't go with Jeb since he's not big into Trump. I could see Cruz or Rubio potentially bite the bullet if they're resigned to never running for president again.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
After todays' white supremacism wet dream I don't doubt there are more "surprises" down the line.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Even if Trump were convinced to drop out during a more self-reflective moment (LOL), it wouldn't last and he'd spend the rest of the time until the election making up conspiracy theories about how he was pushed out by nefarious forces. If he can't beat Biden, he sure as hell isn't going to let some savior (Pence, Romney, anyone) swoop in and beat him either because that would place that person above him.

Trump considers one-term presidents losers. There's no way he'll willingly allow himself to have that label slapped onto him.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Those GOP operatives are just talking shit and wishing they had an out from the transparent and overt evil shittiness of Trump that is threatening their ability to enact their awful agenda. It's also their way of distracting from their own complicity by putting the onus on fixing the GOP's position solely on Trump.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I don't know who he is, but the fact that he's even hinting at it is hilarious. "please, please resign."
If it weren't for the legal jeopardy he will almost certainly be in the moment he no longer has the shield of the presidency I actually do think that Trump would declare "Mission Accomplished! America is Great Again!!!" and claim that he's so good at presidenting he only needed 4 years to do it.

A wave of his red cap and he'd be gone.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
If Trump decides not to run, at what point would the GOP not even be allowed to add a new candidates name to the ballot, forcing them into a write in only situation? Assume it's probably a state by state thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.