• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of things to defund...
We need to rework the whole system. Their courts are awful. They were bad to begin with but they were given pretty much unlimited power after 9/11 and we never took it away.
Everything that is bad about the cops is also true about the federales, they have way more power and the NYT and CNN run their bullshit PR stories rather than local news.
I think the depiction of the feds in TV shows and movies is even more bullshit than that of cops.

But that's a much harder fight.
They classify everything and people catch terrorism charges protesting the feds

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if a President Biden is going to work on reigning in the President's ability to be this corrupt.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
We need to rework the whole system. Their courts are awful.
Everything that is bad about the cops is also true about the federales, they have way more power and the NYT and CNN run their bullshit PR stories rather than local news.
I think the depiction of the feds in TV shows and movies is even more bullshit than that of cops.
Agreed on all counts. Copaganda really loves the FBI.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Just fucking call Bolton to say what he said in his book in public under oath already

just tell him it'll help his book sales if you have to

Oct 28, 2017
The topic of copaganda is interesting because when did it start ramping up in the degree it did? I feel older media weren't so hamfisted with regards to West Winging law enforcement or trying to paint the world as so bleak to justify fascism.

I know the specific genre of vigilante cop movies were spawned by Dirty Harry, the patron saint of a lot of American cops and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE type of gun enthusiasts. It is no surprise every film after the 1st, which at least makes a small attempt of making Harry seem like a huge asshole, are super racist and basically have entire scenes of Harry Callahan shooting incompetent minorities committing crimes. Which eventually spawned awful movies like Death Wish, which are even more fascist and racist.

Looking back, there's a lot of movies in the 1970s and 1980s that really did a number on modern society ranging from the Dirty Harry series when it comes to justifying police brutality and Revenge of the Nerds/Porky's/etc when it comes to justifying and encouraging rape.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The Wire is approaching 20 years since it first began airing and its deconstruction of policing and governing, particularly in it skewering the militarization and dehumanization of policing resonate as if it aired yesterday.

Oct 25, 2017
Konoha
Sam Seder interviewed AOC today.
"Republicans are willing to spend billions to undermine AOC because she's shifting the Overton Window regarding acceptable left-wing public opinion. They want the Democratic Party to be Republican Light — essentially being controlled opposition. The Ruling Class doesn't mind Dems being super progressive on social issues. But once a Dem starts being progressive regarding economic issues, the ruling class starts plotting their downfall."

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
WSJ frontpage:
uAoJuQT.jpg

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
When someone says you resigned and you haven't, is "defy" the best way to describe the situation?
I guess WSJ gonna WSJ. Adventures in capitalism indeed.
Barr is still the top law enforcement officer despite acting as Trump's lackey. I'm more surprised that the SDNY AG managed to find a loophole and flip off Barr.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Barr is still the top law enforcement officer despite acting as Trump's lackey. I'm more surprised that the SDNY AG managed to find a loophole and flip off Barr.
I have no idea if Barr can just fire him, I really don't, but I'm pretty sure you can't make someone resign.
You can pressure them to resign, you can threaten them to resign, but resigning by its very definition (don't fail me now my grasp of the English language) is voluntary.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I have no idea if Barr can just fire him, I really don't, but I'm pretty sure you can't make someone resign.
You can pressure them to resign, you can threaten them to resign, but resigning by its very definition (don't fail me now my grasp of the English language) is voluntary.
If I'm correct, the only reason Barr can't do anything is because Berman is the ACTING U.S. Attorney appointed by the court itself. It's the first time the "acting" role has come back to bite him in the ass, as far as I can tell.

Read here
Pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 541(a), the President appoints U.S. Attorneys by and with the advice and consent of the Senate. Subsection (c) of that section provides that " [e]ach United States Attorney is subject to removal by the President." The question is whether the President's removal power under subsection (c) extends to U.S. Attorneys appointed by the court pursuant to § 546, or whether they can be removed only by the court that appointed them. In our view the first interpretation is the correct one.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
Those front pages remind me of the collectibles you find in videogames that take place after the collapse of civilization lol.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So sorry if I'm being dumb here, but like, if I say you watched Batman v Superman 17 times in the theaters, you're not defying me if you didn't, I'm just making shit up.
Barr is just lying, no?
I think that if I were to make sense of it, I'd characterize the tactic as be more of an attempt at a fait accompli than "just" a lie - say publicly he resigned, then have him go along with it. In that framing, saying "nah fuck off" is defying him.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So sorry if I'm being dumb here, but like, if I say you watched Batman v Superman 17 times in the theaters, you're not defying me if you didn't, I'm just making shit up.
Barr is just lying, no?
I mean, essentially Barr is wanting him gone.

The attorney is defying what Barr wants like it or not.

I think that if I were to make sense of it, I'd characterize the tactic as be more of an attempt at a fait accompli than "just" a lie - say publicly he resigned, then have him go along with it. In that framing, saying "nah fuck off" is defying him.
What Poodle said.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
The attorney is basically saying: "I was appointed by the courts and I have no obligation to go anywhere until you get a properly senate-confirmed replacement". Which, given that Mitch is in charge, will be a stay of execution at best though there's always the possibility that there's a handful of Republican senators up for reelection this year who decide that not putting a Trump lackey in charge of Guiliani's investigation is a good way to assert their independence and halt their sinking numbers.

I'm kidding of course.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sam Seder interviewed AOC today.
"Republicans are willing to spend billions to undermine AOC because she's shifting the Overton Window regarding acceptable left-wing public opinion. They want the Democratic Party to be Republican Light — essentially being controlled opposition. The Ruling Class doesn't mind Dems being super progressive on social issues. But once a Dem starts being progressive regarding economic issues, the ruling class starts plotting their downfall."

Good interview, thanks.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
thehill.com

Protesters gather at McConnell’s Kentucky home: ‘No justice, no sleep’

Protesters descended on Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s (R-Ky.) Kentucky home to demonstrate on an array of issues to commemorate Juneteenth.Activists with the progressive Sunrise Movement…

Protesters descended on Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's (R-Ky.) Kentucky home to demonstrate on an array of issues to commemorate Juneteenth.
Activists with the progressive Sunrise Movement, an environmental group that advocates for a slate of left-leaning issues, were seen making noise and holding signs reading, "No justice, no sleep."
"No justice, no sleep Mitch. You let our economy tumble into free-fall, our people be gunned down in the streets by killer cops, & our planet be ravaged by your oil CEO friends. This #Juneteenth, we're wide awake. In November when we vote you out, maybe you'll wake up, too," the group tweeted.
"Breonna couldn't sleep. Neither should Mitch," a banner also read, referring to the fatal police shooting of Breonna Taylor, an unarmed black EMT who was killed in her home during the execution of a no-knock warrant in Louisville.

Gotta love seeing this. Take it to that fucking turtle.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
The topic of copaganda is interesting because when did it start ramping up in the degree it did? I feel older media weren't so hamfisted with regards to West Winging law enforcement or trying to paint the world as so bleak to justify fascism.

I know the specific genre of vigilante cop movies were spawned by Dirty Harry, the patron saint of a lot of American cops and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE type of gun enthusiasts. It is no surprise every film after the 1st, which at least makes a small attempt of making Harry seem like a huge asshole, are super racist and basically have entire scenes of Harry Callahan shooting incompetent minorities committing crimes. Which eventually spawned awful movies like Death Wish, which are even more fascist and racist.

Looking back, there's a lot of movies in the 1970s and 1980s that really did a number on modern society ranging from the Dirty Harry series when it comes to justifying police brutality and Revenge of the Nerds/Porky's/etc when it comes to justifying and encouraging rape.
Dragnet is where a lot of it started turning I think, I can't recall a show before that that was interested in the job of policing and what (the authors thought) it entailed. Once you start being interested in "the day to day of policing" you set the groundwork for stuff like Dirty Harry later

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Dragnet is where a lot of it started turning I think, I can't recall a show before that that was interested in the job of policing and what (the authors thought) it entailed. Once you start being interested in "the day to day of policing" you set the groundwork for stuff like Dirty Harry later

Moviebob did a video on the influence of Dragnet on popular culture. Before Dragnet, cops were not as lionized by Hollywood.

Oct 26, 2017
My personal take on the SDNY thing?

- Trump is doing this is to once again, DISTRACT from Covid Deaths, DISTRACT from the protests, and Get the media to stop talking about POLICE REFORM, and get them to talk about SDNY firing.

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
You don't do the firing on a Friday if you want distraction
Plus his Tulsa corona party is plenty distractions

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Yep. I think it's more tied with cases against Trump cronies moving along. If he loses the tax case, going after these prosecutors and burying investigations will be top priority.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I hate the 'distraction' take. Every stupid and corrupt thing they do is because they are stupid and corrupt.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I don't think Trump is ever trying to distract with bad news. He's just incredibly corrupt and inept.
People have been saying every stupid thing Trump does is just meant to "distract" from the other stupid thing he did since literally the beginning of his presidency.

Hear me out, what if Trump is just a bad president and nearly every single thing he ever does in that capacity is stupid, malicious and dangerous?
I hate the 'distraction' take. Every stupid and corrupt thing they do is because they are stupid and corrupt.
oh hey

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
'Distraction' is another name for '4D chess' both of which are for dumb-dumbs. No offense. He doesn't care about COVID or protests anymore. He is just hoping and waiting for them to go away like everything else has (at least in his mind).

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I think this is parody, but I can't tell anymore. My brain don't work no more. There are so many truly bad takes from blue-check marks that this can be the uncovering of a profound revelation finally revealing the brilliant political machinations of one President Trump. That said, I think It's parody. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.