• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Except there won't be any more reclosing, no matter how bad it gets. Because America has decided we're done with that shit. No more stimulus check either. Tough it out!

there won't be a second wave because this one isn't going to end

We'll see. I feel like we're gonna be back to the corpse freezer trucks and mass temp graves and extra field hospitals in a month or so. Already starting to see stories from the south of hospital capacity issues again after their reopenings, and that was before we filled our cities nationwide with people and tear gas during a respiratory pandemic. I don't really understand any of this stuff super well, so hopefully I'm wrong and overly pessimistic, but so far in 2020, overly pessimistic has been the safe bet :(

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017

unimpressed.png

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, let's see what all those plantation mentality NFL owners say when players start kneeling and speaking out against Trump again.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
That correlates well with Trump's strong approve number.

That made me instantly think "somebody should do a Trump and lemmings at the cliff" cartoon, which I then googled and found that is actually a well explored concept.

Trump followers are literally blindly following him to their death. Before it was at least indirect, where their demise would be slow through poor access to health care, increased environmental pollution, dropping health/food/safety standards and oversight, income inequality, and a lack of (good) social safety nets etc. Now they are at the point of just pouring the poison straight into their mouths.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
It's something of a horrific fact, but I don't think reporting on true facts should be outside what media outlets can report on. It is surely relevant to know that the stock market doesn't tend to react the way you'd expect to protests/rioting/civil unrest.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
It's something of a horrific fact, but I don't think reporting on true facts should be outside what media outlets can report on. It is surely relevant to know that the stock market doesn't tend to react the way you'd expect to protests/rioting/civil unrest.
Eh, maybe in principle, but this is Fox News so they don't get the benefit of the doubt.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Jeb Bush @JebBush

Proud of my son. Are other Republican elected officials stepping up? https://twitter.com/georgepbush/status/1268744287723958274 …

8:04 PM - Jun 5, 2020

George P. Bush @georgepbush

I have said it before and I will say it again now: the GOP must not tolerate racism. Of any kind. At any time. The appalling behavior by the four GOP County leaders must not stand. I urge them to do the honorable thing and step aside now. https://twitter.com/texastribune/status/1268726465690042369 …

11:19 PM - Jun 4, 2020

Jeb!

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Jeffrey Stein @JStein_WaPo

Here's what WH adviser Art Laffer had to say today: "Imagine there's 2 farmers [on an island] and nothing else. One gets unemployment. Who pays for it? The other farmer! That's economics -- straight, simple, intuitive, and true. That's why government spending doesn't work."

9:41 AM - Jun 5, 2020

It is amazing to me that Laffer has a job anywhere let alone in a WH administration

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
WH says Barr did it. Barr says he didn't do it.

apnews.com

Barr says he didn’t give tactical order to clear protesters

Attorney General William Barr says law enforcement officers were already moving to push back protesters from a park in front of the White House when he arrived there Monday evening, and he says he did not give a command to disperse the crowd.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Attorney General William Barr says law enforcement officers were already moving to push back protesters from a park in front of the White House when he arrived there Monday evening, and he says he did not give a command to disperse the crowd, though he supported the decision.
Barr's comments in an interview with The Associated Press on Friday were his most detailed explanation yet of what unfolded outside the White House earlier this week. They come after the White House and others said repeatedly that the attorney general ordered officers to clear the park. Shortly after officers aggressively pushed back demonstrators, President Donald Trump — accompanied by Barr, Pentagon leaders and other top advisers — walked through Lafayette Park to pose for a photo at a nearby church that had been damaged during the protests.
----------------------
Barr said the plan was supposed to be put into action soon after the meeting, but additional officers and National Guard troops had to be called in because of a high number of officers who had been injured throughout the weekend. It had not yet been implemented when he arrived at the park later in the evening and the crowd had grown much larger than it was in the afternoon, Barr said.
Still, he said he did not give the officers the orders to proceed — they were already in the process of doing so when he showed up.
"They told me they were about to make the announcement and I think they stretched the announcements over 20 minutes. During the time I was there, I would periodically hear announcements," Barr said. "They had the Park Police mounted unit ready, so it was just a matter of execution. So, I didn't just say to them, 'Go.'"
Barr said it was a Park Police tactical commander — an official he never spoke to — who gave the order for the law enforcement agencies to move in and clear the protesters.
"I'm not involved in giving tactical commands like that," he said. "I was frustrated and I was also worried that as the crowd grew, it was going to be harder and harder to do. So my attitude was get it done, but I didn't say, 'Go do it.'"
Barr insisted there was no connection between the heavy-handed crackdown on the protesters and Trump's walk soon after to St. John's Church. The attorney general said he had learned in the afternoon that Trump wanted to go outside, and said that when he went to the White House in the evening, he learned of the president's intended destination.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gassing the protestors was just a spontaneous act of love and affection for Trump on the part of the police. Totally clears the president, thank you!

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Hillary was up in the polls all of 2016 too. I'm not bedwetting, just saying that polls mean shit in our current situation. They showed she would win, yet she lost. I can't handle another 2016 with him winning again.
There is definitely a lot of room for caution, but you cannot ignore the data. Yes, even with 2016 in mind.

The data shows that this race has been incredibly stable. Why is that, you ask? Because it's a referendum on Trump. The head-to-head numbers practically mirror Trump's approval rating, which has been incredibly static in the last 3.5 years. Nothing has essentially swayed the numbers during that time. The only thing that has practically moved the numbers is the pandemic, and that's not exactly good news for Trump. The pandemic is not over. Even though the protests have taken up all the air in the room, the media still defaults to covid-19 coverage whenever there is a relatively slower news day. This will not change until the pandemic is under control via a vaccine and/or herd immunity.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh, are they the New Black Panthers or some other faction taking the name? It's hard to tell, but the patch some of them have on looks like it would have the NBPP logo. The original Black Panthers are no fans of the NBPP and I follow their lead on that.

Though I can't blame them for being there, certainly.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
WH says Barr did it. Barr says he didn't do it.

apnews.com

Barr says he didn’t give tactical order to clear protesters

Attorney General William Barr says law enforcement officers were already moving to push back protesters from a park in front of the White House when he arrived there Monday evening, and he says he did not give a command to disperse the crowd.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Attorney General William Barr says law enforcement officers were already moving to push back protesters from a park in front of the White House when he arrived there Monday evening, and he says he did not give a command to disperse the crowd, though he supported the decision.
Barr's comments in an interview with The Associated Press on Friday were his most detailed explanation yet of what unfolded outside the White House earlier this week. They come after the White House and others said repeatedly that the attorney general ordered officers to clear the park. Shortly after officers aggressively pushed back demonstrators, President Donald Trump — accompanied by Barr, Pentagon leaders and other top advisers — walked through Lafayette Park to pose for a photo at a nearby church that had been damaged during the protests.
----------------------
Barr said the plan was supposed to be put into action soon after the meeting, but additional officers and National Guard troops had to be called in because of a high number of officers who had been injured throughout the weekend. It had not yet been implemented when he arrived at the park later in the evening and the crowd had grown much larger than it was in the afternoon, Barr said.
Still, he said he did not give the officers the orders to proceed — they were already in the process of doing so when he showed up.
"They told me they were about to make the announcement and I think they stretched the announcements over 20 minutes. During the time I was there, I would periodically hear announcements," Barr said. "They had the Park Police mounted unit ready, so it was just a matter of execution. So, I didn't just say to them, 'Go.'"
Barr said it was a Park Police tactical commander — an official he never spoke to — who gave the order for the law enforcement agencies to move in and clear the protesters.
"I'm not involved in giving tactical commands like that," he said. "I was frustrated and I was also worried that as the crowd grew, it was going to be harder and harder to do. So my attitude was get it done, but I didn't say, 'Go do it.'"
Barr insisted there was no connection between the heavy-handed crackdown on the protesters and Trump's walk soon after to St. John's Church. The attorney general said he had learned in the afternoon that Trump wanted to go outside, and said that when he went to the White House in the evening, he learned of the president's intended destination.

Ahh yes, the Sgt. Shultz defense.

DATovm4.gif

Pretty fitting.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh, are they the New Black Panthers or some other faction taking the name? It's hard to tell, but the patch some of them have on looks like it would have the NBPP logo. The original Black Panthers are no fans of the NBPP and I follow their lead on that.

Though I can't blame them for being there, certainly.
I only know the NBPP from the fact that FOX used to like to have them on to frighten the geezers. What's the issue between them and the originals?

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only know the NBPP from the fact that FOX used to like to have them on to frighten the geezers. What's the issue between them and the originals?

There's multiple issues. The NBPP basically took the name for themselves but have no connection to the original Black Panthers, so it's more like another group stealing its legacy than an actual continuation. The old legacy BPP pretty much hate them and sued them once to try to get them to stop using their name. They also abandoned Marxism, so their concept of black liberation and black nationalism is quite different from that of the BPP, which was based around contextualizing black liberation within a wider international proletarian and revolutionary communist agenda. They've got a lot of NOI people involved, so they've got a bad history of Anti-Semitism. The SPLC considers them a hate group.

That said, you can trust them to show up to protect black people and intimidate the Klan.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
They showed she had about a 60-70% chance of running. We rolled the die and got a 2 when we needed a 3 or better. This does not invalidate polling.

People misunderstand how an N of 1 works on these things.

Honestly, this week has me thinking that military SHOULD be involved if for no other reason than making sure the police don't overstep their bounds. The military isn't perfect, but they seem a lot more disciplined than the police.

Yeah, the military generally does better with this stuff. Though that's because they have standards that police don't even come close to matching. Cops are frequently people that couldn't get into the military.

Almost a parody at this point of how poorly things are going.

I've been thinking on this for the past week now. There's an alternative universe where cops and mayors actually do prove the protesters wrong and calmly react to these. They let people yell, they cover the fire department while they put out building fires, they provide cover for medics for anyone injured while protesting, etc... It's all pretty easy. On paper, they'd even probably say that's the plan.

The reality is that precisely zero mayors/cities have any control over their rank-and-file officers, including the supposed "emergency response" units. I'm sure they told them all to be chill back last Friday, but not one police force made it to Tuesday without gassing and/or shooting and/or beating people. They're still doing it. Those fuckheads in Buffalo literally just could not restrain themselves from cracking a 75 year old man's head open. Their chief/mayor/city council/whatever probably would've told them not to (just for the bad PR, not because they care), but that guy completely loses it and goes troglodyte mode.

It reminds me of the Monty Python bits where the ladies do historical re-enactments but they always devolve into handbag brawls. I've barely seen any good responses from city officials during all of this, but what the last week has shown is that it really doesn't matter what they say. Cuomo could go on live TV (every network) and say "Fuck cops, ACAB, y'all ain't shit and you all are killers" and not a damn thing would change on the street. The rank-and-file are physically and emotionally incapable of maintaining calm. They're all psychos.

I don't think a world without law enforcement of some kind makes sense (I just don't see what the alternative is for violent attackers), but at minimum, every police department in the country should be immediately dissolved and then re-created, with MUCH higher requirements for anyone seeking employment. This is all in addition to changes in training, equipment, etc..., but I don't think any of that will work on the cops we have now.

Is the take away murdering black men leads to stock rallies?????????????????

Fox decided to take King John's tact

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
www.splcenter.org

New Black Panther Party

The New Black Panther Party is a virulently racist and antisemitic organization whose leaders have encouraged violence against whites, Jews and law enforcement officers.

Unfortunately says everything you need to know.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

Jeb Bush @JebBush

Proud of my son. Are other Republican elected officials stepping up? https://twitter.com/georgepbush/status/1268744287723958274 …

8:04 PM - Jun 5, 2020

George P. Bush @georgepbush

I have said it before and I will say it again now: the GOP must not tolerate racism. Of any kind. At any time. The appalling behavior by the four GOP County leaders must not stand. I urge them to do the honorable thing and step aside now. https://twitter.com/texastribune/status/1268726465690042369 …

11:19 PM - Jun 4, 2020

Jeb!

George P Bush was literally the last remaining Bush to be caping for Trump despite the rest of his family giving him the cold shoulder. I don't know about that rhetoric from JEBs son.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
www.splcenter.org

New Black Panther Party

The New Black Panther Party is a virulently racist and antisemitic organization whose leaders have encouraged violence against whites, Jews and law enforcement officers.

Unfortunately says everything you need to know.
The SPLC also designated the original BPP as a hate group.
I don't know a whole lot about the NBPP and I think the SPLC is generally pretty reliable resource, but when it come to black liberation groups like the BPP, I don't think a hate group designation from the SLPC is not everything you need to know.
Though it's probably something to consider.

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The SPLC also designated the original BPP as a hate group.
I don't know a whole lot about the NBPP and I think the SPLC is generally pretty reliable resource, but when it come to black liberation groups like the BPP, I don't think a hate group designation from the SLPC is not everything you need to know.
Though it's probably something to consider.
"Our lessons talk about the bloodsuckers of the poor. … It's that old no-good Jew, that old imposter Jew, that old hooked-nose, bagel-eating, lox-eating, Johnny-come-lately, perpetrating-a-fraud, just-crawled-out-of-the-caves-and-hills-of-Europe, so-called damn Jew … and I feel everything I'm saying up here is kosher."

— Khalid Abdul Muhammad, one of the party's future leaders, Baltimore, Maryland, February 19, 1994.

Probably nothing.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Our lessons talk about the bloodsuckers of the poor. … It's that old no-good Jew, that old imposter Jew, that old hooked-nose, bagel-eating, lox-eating, Johnny-come-lately, perpetrating-a-fraud, just-crawled-out-of-the-caves-and-hills-of-Europe, so-called damn Jew … and I feel everything I'm saying up here is kosher."

— Khalid Abdul Muhammad, one of the party's future leaders, Baltimore, Maryland, February 19, 1994.

Probably nothing.
The NBPP is tiny, localized to a couple of places, and have no real political power. They're not shooting up places or anything either.
But I know very little about the NBPP, my point is a bit broader.

Last time there was a serious attempt at black liberation, the US government crushed it in brutal ways. The move was always to either find evidence or make up evidence that allow to designate them as hate group, and then unleash the full might of the American police state on them. Because once you persuaded America they're Bad People, Americans will be okay with doing to them pretty much everything, up to and including murder.
Sometime they applied this to actual, honest to god Bad People, but a lot of time it was just black people who looked a bit too angry to the feds.

I don't know how you feel about the BPP, and I'm not here to lecture you or anything, and if you think they're a group that should have been outlawed and eradicated out existence then it's one thing, but if you feel, like me, that the BPP was a legitimate political movement that the US should have listened to instead of trying to kill them, I think it's maybe a good idea to not make a hate group designation and a racist quote from one leader from the 90s be the point where you refuse to hear anything from them or about them.

And god I hope my tinfoil friend who think they're a fed sting operation is wrong, because if I wrote all that wall of text in the defense of the g men...

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017

It's not a fact. It's presenting correlation without any further evidence of causation.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
It may not have killed anyone, but his whole "women aren't funny" shit was awful and moronic, too.
Edit: christ, I forgot how hideous that essay was. Look at this meandering slurry of nonsense:

www.vanityfair.com

Why Women Aren't Funny

What makes the female so much deadlier than the male? With assists from Fran Lebowitz, Nora Ephron, and a recent Stanford-medical-school study, the author investigates the reasons for the humor gap
Oof, you know it's been an endless stream of shit when I'd forgotten until today that he did this shit too. The horsemen were and remain so deeply fucking regressive.

This is fundamentally who they are, what they stand for. Defund, disarm, abolish, and heal.

Although I do not believe in god, I always found the label Atheist to be a dead-end. It tells people what you don't believe (unless you are purely anti-religion for its own sake) and doesn't tell people what you believe. Why I prefer Humanist. Tends to avoid those above pitfalls if you are focused on the betterment of mankind and not just on countering religious thought.
Humanism is certainly what should be the takeaway regardless of what you believe. We don't live purely for ourselves, we're in this world to fight for each other and live together, not carve out little duchies of misanthropes who live in fear and loathing of their neighbors.

Sorry, meanwhile during all this shit, the HUD continues to slam down on the heads of the most vulnerable.

Riot-worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.