• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Didn't want to make a thread for this question. Does anybody know if there are any places matching donos based off of screen print receipts? I donated to BLM and Color of Change before thinking about doing it so a company would match and now want to get more bang for my buck.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, who did I deprive of any platform?
The same thing that I was poking at before.

This moment isn't about the perils of an economic system. It's about the death of innocent black men, white supremacy and the failure of both the government and white people to deal with it.

Save the Marx sermons for another day.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Anarchos can't co-opt a movement about police brutality when police are popular with every race (more popular than M4All lol) and especially popular with the working class.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This moment isn't about the perils of an economic system. It's about the death of innocent black men, white supremacy and the failure of both the government and white people to deal with it.

What spurred on my post, in particular, was Trump's fascist power grabbing and his desire to round up "Antifa". Amazingly, we can talk about multiple things at once. Especially since capitalism and white supremacy are intertwined in the United States, no matter how much people may not want that to be the case.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The cynic in me thinks that by the time January rolls around even if Biden wins the white moderate support of the police will bounce back completely and any needed reforms will be shuttered. May get some very small increments of progress but not enough.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
User Banned (5 days): hostility

For fuck's sake this is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen you post. White supremacy is tied to America's economic system. That's what systemic racism is.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What spurred on my post, in particular, was Trump's fascist power grabbing and his desire to round up "Antifa". Amazingly, we can talk about multiple things at once. Especially since capitalism and white supremacy are intertwined in the United States, no matter how much people may not want that to be the case.
No; you focus on the issue at hand. Mr Monopoly didn't kneel on his neck. We can talk about these issues after the heated moment has passed and begin to put the pieces back together before. Because I'm getting really tired of the "both sides posts" I keep seeing. The truth is, only one group right now is encouraging this fascist take over. Only one group is looking on at what Trump said with praise and acceptance. Only one group is looking at this protests as a problem. And this "lets talk about leftism and fuck the dems" schtick is getting old.

My country is on fire, an authoritarian wants to kill people and I have to listen and read a bunch of bitch eating crackers nonsense about Biden not doing perfect handstands while jumping through a ring of fire.

We're human, we're all aware of the pain, terror and fascism going on and the glib "hehe capitalism" or "but the Democrats" ain't it chief. You wanna call out these dumb mayors and people like De Blaiso and Cuomo for missing the moment? Go ahead. Using this moment as yet another chance to go on a monologue about the evils of the democratic party and why you don't need to vote and or vote 3rd party?

Insanity.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
How do we think this is going to effect polling?

Trump's going to start seeing polling in the high 30s. Dunno if Biden will gain much in his topline.

edit: George Floyd would have gotten murdered even if he was an investment banker, and the cops beating people are middle class.

I don't get the Hungry Hungry Hammer proselytizing, it's as disingenuous as me saying that we wouldn't have cops killing blacks if only we had zoning reform and land-value based tax schemes. For economic policy to help African Americans, it's probably best atm to just listen to the African American leaders and ask what they think....and do it? I don't think the right approach is to not listen and go "that's great, but what you really need is unconditional grad school student loan relief".

Last edited:

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
The cynic in me thinks that by the time January rolls around even if Biden wins the white moderate support of the police will bounce back completely and any needed reforms will be shuttered. May get some very small increments of progress but not enough.
The cynic in me thinks if a competent president was in charge, they'd do what they normally do... give empty platitudes and nebulous promises that they can never deliver on to calm things down without any real change. At least Trump being such a fuck up will stop that

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017

There's just far too much that needs to be corrected, to the point that if you're not aggressive with it, it just doesn't amount to much.

The police hold far too much power and resources as it is. They can pretty much blow people's faces up with "rubber" bullets and chemical warfare with impunity.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Using this moment as yet another chance to go on a monologue about the evils of the democratic party and why you don't need to vote and or vote 3rd party?

Insanity.
Nobody is fucking saying this. The last person to bring up voting was 3 hours ago and their post just said 'Vote Biden'

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
No; you focus on the issue at hand. Mr Monopoly didn't kneel on his neck. We can talk about these issues after the heated moment has passed and begin to put the pieces back together before. Because I'm getting really tired of the "both sides posts" I keep seeing. The truth is, only one group right now is encouraging this fascist take over. Only one group is looking on at what Trump said with praise and acceptance. Only one group is looking at this protests as a problem. And this "lets talk about leftism and fuck the dems" schtick is getting old.

My country is on fire, an authoritarian wants to kill people and I have to listen and read a bunch of bitch eating crackers nonsense about Biden not doing perfect handstands while jumping through a ring of fire.

We're human, we're all aware of the pain, terror and fascism going on and the glib "hehe capitalism" or "but the Democrats" ain't it chief. You wanna call out these dumb mayors and people like De Blaiso and Cuomo for missing the moment? Go ahead. Using this moment as yet another chance to go on a monologue about the evils of the democratic party and why you don't need to vote and or vote 3rd party?

Insanity.
People haven't been saying the things we're saying. You're projecting based on the point spagh was trying to make.

This whole no economics here thing is just a completely unserious way to look at the issue
how many people are unemployed? how many people need to make a living doing illigal things so they can eat? Are we going to say that this has nothing to do with the protests? I don't think it's reductive to say that the reason this has gotten so much bigger is that a lot more people have less to lose.

Anarchos can't co-opt a movement about police brutality when police are popular with every race (more popular than M4All lol) and especially popular with the working class.
citation needed on that one

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
m8 you might want to check your keyboard because you wrote the same thing twice
Stuff exactly like this. Chris Cooper went to harvard and stayed with a 6 figured job. But in that moment in the park he was just still just a nigger. That woman wasn't going to get rich calling the cops on a dude bird watching( is there a more "elite" hobby?), like the cop wasn't getting rich putting his knee on Floyd's neck. That is why "Leftists" miss the boat on "class not racism" bullshit.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The response over the past few days -- the protests, the police brutality, the statements from businesses, the workplace discussions, the condemnations from politicians -- all of this feels really different compared to the outcry following previous police killings of black men and women. Much bigger, like the nation is actually being pushed to the brink in a way that these killings have not pushed most people before. I don't know what that means in terms of implications for change or getting worse or what, but does anyone else feel like this response has been wholly different and bigger and more outraged than any previous protest has been?

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People haven't been saying the things we're saying. You're projecting based on the point spagh was trying to make.

This whole no economics here thing is just a completely unserious way to look at the issue
how many people are unemployed? how many people need to make a living doing illigal things so they can eat? Are we going to say that this has nothing to do with the protests? I don't think it's reductive to say that the reason this has gotten so much bigger is that a lot more people have less to lose.
That's great.

How does this help us with the moment? Black men are getting murdered. It needs to stop. Giving them jobs doesn't fix the issues we face. Bringing down capitalism doesn't bring down the white supremacists still in our country.

You wanna read the moment as a white person? It's a reckoning on us as a people. We have failed to talk about racial injustice because to do so was inconvenient. It wasn't capitalism that made it inconvenient. It was being outside our "tribe" that did. Not wanting to upset MeeMaw and PawPaw; letting Uncle JoeBob and Aunt Karen go on their racist fox news laced rants and swallowing our pride. Ignoring the perversion of our justice system because cops didn't "hastle" us. None of this had to do with class or making money or wealth. This had everything to do with staying in good social graces with our peers. With not wanting to upset the family dynamic. With still getting invites to the neighborhood summer parties and baby showers.

You wanna talk about Capitalism and its evils after white people have dealt with our demons? Great. I hold the damn torch while you all shout about it from the tops of every rooftop and mountain. We aren't getting the things we want or the justice we deserve until White Supremacy has been dealt with. So much of their hate and identity is tied into denying us everything. Climate action, income ineqaulity, LGBTQ+ rights and so many other issues. THESE PEOPLE LITERALLY WANT TO CATCH A VIRUS JUST TO HURT OUR TEAM. They protested wearing fucking masks. They did this so stay with their in-group. Because they value their peers and their culture more than anything else.

So miss me with the economic speeches and whatnot until we deal with our demons. One way or the other.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
With all of this chaos and uncertainly, it brings me comfort to know that the NY Times will always remain absolute trash.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
That is why "Leftists" miss the boat on "class not racism" bullshit.
It can be both friend.

The elements that configure oppression and discrimination go even beyond class and racism. Between transphobia, homophobia, ableism and many other forms of exclusion, we need to be able to see things in a bigger picture.

When I (somewhat jokingly) said that capitalism and white supremacy are the same I did not mean it to be interpreted as "lets not talk about race because class is more important", I meant it more as "its impossible to separate racism from the economic system that systematically fuels it while its also impossible to separate capitalism from its own engines of discrimination".

Im not basing my words on just white scholars by the way. People like Victor Jara and Hugo Blanco, indigenous latinos, have been very important for me in terms of framing inequality in this way. Of course, I still need to read a lot more, especially from black writers.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
That's great.

How does this help us with the moment? Black men are getting murdered. It needs to stop. Giving them jobs doesn't fix the issues we face. Bringing down capitalism doesn't bring down the white supremacists still in our country.

You wanna read the moment as a white person? It's a reckoning on us as a people. We have failed to talk about racial injustice because to do so was inconvenient. It wasn't capitalism that made it inconvenient. It was being outside our "tribe" that did. Not wanting to upset MeeMaw and PawPaw; letting Uncle JoeBob and Aunt Karen go on their racist fox news laced rants and swallowing our pride. Ignoring the perversion of our justice system because cops didn't "hastle" us. None of this had to do with class or making money or wealth. This had everything to do with staying in good social graces with our peers. With not wanting to upset the family dynamic. With still getting invites to the neighborhood summer parties and baby showers.

You wanna talk about Capitalism and its evils after white people have dealt with our demons? Great. I hold the damn torch while you all shout about it from the tops of every rooftop and mountain. We aren't getting the things we want or the justice we deserve until White Supremacy has been dealt with. So much of their hate and identity is tied into denying us everything. Climate action, income ineqaulity, LGBTQ+ rights and so many other issues. THESE PEOPLE LITERALLY WANT TO CATCH A VIRUS JUST TO HURT OUR TEAM. They protested wearing fucking masks. They did this so stay with their in-group. Because they value their peers and their culture more than anything else.

So miss me with the economic speeches and whatnot until we deal with our demons. One way or the other.
I know i'm on the right side of history, worry about yourself. This might surprise you but a lot of lefites are poc and I'm going to listen to them and not you about what's an appropriate time to bring up issues of austerity and precarity. You don't know me and you honestly need to calm down about this.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No; you focus on the issue at hand. Mr Monopoly didn't kneel on his neck.

Capitalism and white supremacy, in an intertwined manner, kneel on the neck of black Americans every day, every month, every year. Hell, the thing that even led to the pigs being called on Floyd was a dispute over a twenty dollar bill.

Do we really need to go into the way that capitalists use their power to fight against efficient government, so they can save money instead of pay taxes that would go into revitalizing black communities? How about how they try to undermine public education, or the fucking Flint water crisis, or job discrimination? Or how the police use cruel tactics like civil asset forfeiture to their benefit, which is especially disastrous for poor brown and black people? How capitalists historically pit racist white workers against black workers to prevent union solidarity? It's not one or the other, it's intertwined. Stop being non-intersectional.

We can talk about these issues after the heated moment has passed and begin to put the pieces back together before.

I'm going to talk about the truth now and forever.

The truth is, only one group right now is encouraging this fascist take over. Only one group is looking on at what Trump said with praise and acceptance. Only one group is looking at this protests as a problem.

Yes, I too hate racists and fascists.

You can put people on ignore if you don't like their posts. For my part, all I said was he needed to condemn the police.

Insanity.

Find one post of mine where I ever said "don't vote". My stance has always been that voting is one tool in the toolbox, and that if you live in a red or purple state, or if the race is close in a bkue state, you should vote for the Democrat.

Hell, I've argued multiple times on this site that it's not possible to have a third party in the US because of FPTP.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It can be both friend.

The elements that configure oppression and discrimination go even beyond class and racism. Between transphobia, homophobia, ableism and many other forms of exclusion, we need to be able to see things in a bigger picture.
There is nothing bigger picture then people's humanity. You can set those those things if you want to, but I won't.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
How any religious person can look at that man clearly bullshitting about a book he knows nothing about, with multiple marriages, cheating on his wife just after she gave birth, paying off women, who knows how many abortions during his life, and think he's deserving of their support is bizarre.

They know it's about the judges. It's all they care about.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff exactly like this. Chris Cooper went to harvard and stayed with a 6 figured job. But in that moment in the park he was just still just a nigger. That woman wasn't going to get rich calling the cops on a dude bird watching( is there a more "elite" hobby?), like the cop wasn't getting rich putting his knee on Floyd's neck. That is why "Leftists" miss the boat on "class not racism" bullshit.

The intersection of capitalism and racism has very little, if anything, to do with individuals in the moment getting rich from harming black people somehow. We're talking about systems of oppression, larger societal and structural forces. That doesn't mean every single instance of racism ever is tied specifically to economic oppression or that every single instance of economic oppression is tied to racism. But thtlat also doesn't mean that, functionally, the way things operate in the US, the two don't back each other up. The base influences the superstructure influences the base.

David Addison

Oct 28, 2017
As a tiny nugget of corn in today's shitshow platter, Pompeo will not be running for Senate:

After months of speculation and cajoling from senior Republicans eager to protect a Senate seat in deep-red Kansas, the secretary of state did not stage a last-minute entrance ahead of Monday's filing deadline.

Now, Republicans face a divisive and crowded August primary in the race to replace retiring Sen. Pat Roberts, threatening the GOP's near-century long winning streak in Kansas Senate races. Republicans are on defense across this year's Senate map, and a competitive race in Kansas this fall would be costly as the party fights to retain control of the chamber.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who grew up unbelievably poor in the poorest state in the US, there's no amount of poverty that made my white privilege go away. I've had interactions with cops, even argued with them.

This moment isn't for white people to get in their feels about not being the center of attention. Attempts to seize this from black people are wrong.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So, intersectionality is a thing. All these problems are, on some level, connected.

But I can't help but regard the "racism is inexorably intertwined with capitalism" stuff with extreme suspicion. It reeks of this notion that if we can "solve" capitalism (by abolishing it and replacing it with another economic system) then we don't have to worry about racism afterwards. That just reads... so, comically, blatantly, obviously false to me. The specific forms of modern racism are of course a result of modern systems, but the xenophobia and tribalism at their roots predate all that by so, so much. "They're not like us" will probably always be with us, on some level. We will never stop having to deal with it.

So I don't blame people getting pissed when they have a really specific complaint about racism and somebody goes "well, can I interest you in this discussion about CLASS." Related, sure, but it reads dismissively.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
But thtlat also doesn't mean that, functionally, the way things operate in the US, the two don't back each other up. The base influences the superstructure influences the base.
And it goes beyond the US! Countries like Chile and Peru tie their biggest sources of economic revenue (The Mining industry) with racist exploitation of indigenous people and lands. These people"s concerns are silenced and otherized while their lands turn into profit for the higher classes of society, who are, of course, mostly white.

Status
Not open for further replies.