• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AkimboChainz

Oct 28, 2017
Bringing back the classics...

Trump is now telling the governors they should pass laws criminalizing the burning of the American flag. "We have a different court. It's time to review that again," Trump said, according to a source. "If you wanted to try a very powerful anti-flag burning law, we'll back you."

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017

Trump is now telling the governors they should pass laws criminalizing the burning of the American flag. "We have a different court. It's time to review that again," Trump said, according to a source. "If you wanted to try a very powerful anti-flag burning law, we'll back you."

Yeah, that is what we need to focus on to help solve the current conflict and bring it to a peaceful close!

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

He really wants to make sure people know he isn't okay with peaceful protests.

Aug 1, 2018

Always incredible how Republicans give zero fucks about the constitution and yet the media paints them as a party of law and order.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US

Nice to know that the Executive is now issue directives to the Supreme court.

Oct 25, 2017

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
China:

"The U.S. has become addicted to quitting groups and scrapping treaties."

www.reuters.com

China says U.S. 'addicted to quitting' over plan to withdraw from WHO

China said on Monday the United States was "addicted to quitting" following a U.S. decision to leave the World Health Organization (WHO) and said the withdrawal reveals a pursuit of power politics and unilateralism.
We've got so much fucking work to do come January. Goddamn. It's daunting to think of all of the fires that won't get put out until someone else is in office.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
LA Mayor on that Periscope talking up implicit/unconscious bias training!

It's so huge, everyone should undergo that.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The problem is that even with this kind of training I dont think that the current police force would be able to recognize their issues. Even in my field so many people who do those trainings make excuses for themselves as to why they are not the issue. Not that it shouldnt be done but it will take a hell of a lot more than that

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
The problem is that even with this kind of training I dont think that the current police force would be able to recognize their issues. Even in my field so many people who do those trainings make excuses for themselves as to why they are not the issue. Not that it shouldnt be done but it will take a hell of a lot more than that

To be clear, it is such a small thing compared to all the institutional issues.

But it sets the groundwork for leaders in the organization to make even more meaningful change around hiring and workplace health that can really change the dynamic of a workplace.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
China:

"The U.S. has become addicted to quitting groups and scrapping treaties."

www.reuters.com

China says U.S. 'addicted to quitting' over plan to withdraw from WHO

China said on Monday the United States was "addicted to quitting" following a U.S. decision to leave the World Health Organization (WHO) and said the withdrawal reveals a pursuit of power politics and unilateralism.
This has always been true, the US knows no one can force it to abide by any of this and has always either ignored or just straight up left treaties it didn't like.
Republicans are more hostile to the UN the Democrats, so they tend to do this crap with more zeal, but neither parties had problems ignoring or straight up walking away from agreement and treaties if they thought it will help the US.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
God I'm thankful I don't work for an org where the CEO feels the need to go on Fox fucking News to defend and promote the obviously blatant misinformation policies.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Trump has been looting US taxpayers for 3 fucking years now. Every government dollar spent at one of his businesses is theft.

I would never advocate for violence or theft, especially against small businesses....but it's fucking ludicrous how much emphasis is being placed on these 'bad actors' stirring up shit. What example do the people have to look at for this 'societal contract' they're supposed to adhere to? The POTUS is a fucking thief and enjoys immunity because of his position of power. Spare me the outrage about some poor people stealing groceries when the 'Commander in Chief' is stealing millions of fucking dollars.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017

Trump is dumb. Roberts wouldn't want to overturn recent precedent that was partly decided on by Republican judges, and Gorsuch has written before that flag burning is protected by the first amendment.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

It's good, but not enough. As long as the explicitly racist cops are on the force they just undo all the progress that gets made in the training.

You have to disband the departments and re-form them in a way that makes the civilian control much stronger and gives you the chance to create the right kind of institutional culture.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
God I'm thankful I don't work for an org where the CEO feels the need to go on Fox fucking News to defend and promote the obviously blatant misinformation policies.

It's unreal that Zuckerberg did that. He's going to have a smoldering, long-term rebellion in his company because of it.

You have to disband the departments

This needs a much, much better frame, or sympathetic/open-minded potential allies will side with reactionaries and throw black justice under the bus out of fear of their own safety. Talk like this is how you get a patchwork of regulation where in some places its safer but in other places there's even worse fairness than we have today.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This needs a much, much better frame, or sympathetic/open-minded potential allies will side with reactionaries and throw black justice under the bus out of fear of their own safety. Talk like this is how you get a patchwork of regulation where in some places its safer but in other places there's even worse fairness than we have today.
I mean, it's literally been done before, to fairly significant success. Camden is right across the water from Philly. They disbanded their department and formed a new one. It's peaceful over there. Over here it's a disaster. There's a reason for that. Just point at the success stories, and at the results when people decided to try appeasing the police unions.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Another Biden speech, a another week of Rose Twitter editing out of context clips to spread propaganda.
You can't let Twitter get to you, they don't matter. The left and Dems are coalescing around Biden and he's doing a great job of building party unity in ways that Hillary couldn't. You'll never get 100% buy-in, so that shouldn't be the measurement, so don't let Twitter get you down.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
I mean, it's literally been done before, to fairly significant success. Camden is right across the water from Philly. They disbanded their department and formed a new one. It's peaceful over there. Over here it's a disaster. There's a reason for that. Just point at the success stories, and at the results when people decided to try appeasing the police unions.

To be clear-I'm talking about the framing , not the substance. I don't think the Camden model might be applicable at scale (though I do think it's unique suited to communities overwhelmingly black) but it has merits because, like you mentioned, it's worked!

But saying you're going to disband the police departments instead of something like 'reform the police departments' matters a LOT. 'Disband the police' will be met with massive resistance in suburban and rural communities-who will side with the cops, reject reforms, keep tail-light stops, and keep arresting and killing black men driving who are just passing through those areas.

Another Biden speech, a another week of Rose Twitter editing out of context clips to spread propaganda.

Just ignore them, if you get harassed in regular conversation just temind them that it's the first and rent's due. They'll love that.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Right Wing Watch on Twitter

“Jo Rae Perkins, the QAnon conspiracy theorist/GOP Senate nominee from Oregon, prays that God will "shut down George Soros [and] end his reign of terror" and hopes that Trump can find a way to "block him from being able to spend any more money." https://t.co/InqafwenBj”

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
To be clear-I'm talking about the framing , not the substance. I don't think the Camden model might be applicable at scale (though I do think it's unique suited to communities overwhelmingly black) but it has merits because, like you mentioned, it's worked!

But saying you're going to disband the police departments instead of something like 'reform the police departments' matters a LOT. 'Disband the police' will be met with massive resistance in suburban and rural communities-who will side with the cops, reject reforms, keep tail-light stops, and keep arresting and killing black men driving who are just passing through those areas.
I think that it's a fine point of distinction, and I'm not sure how effective the actual wording changes are. If a police union reads "reform" as "disband," they can get people inclined to sympathize with them to react like you said "disband" anyway, and now you're left arguing that no, really, you don't mean what you actually do, which is never a great thing to be doing. The particulars of messaging are going to change from place to place and time to time. Right now, I think "disband" is stronger, but who knows.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Like I want my mayors and city councils to be saying 'reform', and asshole cops and police unions to be saying 'disband'.

The former are elected officials that have clear lines of accountability to the community. The latter, even by the most skeptical of ally, is not to be trusted and viewed as acting out of self-preservation and defense of the status quo, which is insufferable.

Anyway, thinking about how long it will take for reform in rural communities-not to mention sheriff's departments for unincorporated areas-we've got a lot of time to find the right change management procedures with the public.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Morning Consult is a weak source but their online poll from today has Biden +9. This is the first poll taken since this weekend so definitely good news. Also, people are still supporting the protests.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
@rebeccaballhaus
The WH played clips of police marching w/ & hugging protesters, hours after Trump urged the nation's governors on a call: "If you don't dominate you're wasting your time…You have to arrest people. And you have to try people and they have to go to jail for long periods of time."
14:52 - 1 Jun 2020

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Trump and Republicans are already into openly talking about rounding up and murdering dissidents. Hopefully more politicians stand up to this authoritarianism.

JAT

Oct 27, 2017
So this whole court documents showing Trump is a pedophile thing... guessing that's all social media bs?

Status
Not open for further replies.