• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Anyone know if this polling firm is reputable? WeAskAmerica

it has Trump beating Biden 48-44 in Missouri...Trump beat Clinton by 18.

It has a C rating according to 538, slightly R+0.8 ; this is a good index for reference

projects.fivethirtyeight.com

Pollster Ratings

FiveThirtyEight’s pollster ratings are calculated by analyzing the historical accuracy and methodology of each firm’s polls.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I mean, then you are going have awful people go after Kamala Harris, Val Demings, and every other candidate who has a whiff of being associated with law enforcement looking for scalps because of their ideological hatred towards law enforcement as an institution. These views aren't shared by normal voters in the real world, where voters in general like cops and lawyers when they run for office.

It's better to just stay in the race for VP knowing you won't get picked so you can be a lightning rod so that other, well-qualified candidates can get a fair shake. Also, getting vetted fully makes it easier to be a cabinet pick later (though I don't see her leaving the Senate more or less ever-she's truly at home there).
Well the hatred would be valid and justified. It was rotten from the start and it has to be addressed finally. And this is for the vice presidency. These people should have to answer for their actions if it helped to contribute to undue pain and imprisonment. I don't think that's unreasonable at all.

Reflect, acknowledge, and share how to do better. I think with that, Harris at the very least gets through this fine if she becomes more of a target. I pointed out Klob specifically because she's not going to be able to shake her lack of action with this same cop that has had issues in the past. She was already on thin ice as a legit VP candidate anyway. Biden should be able to deliver the midwest himself.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
@yashar
I'd have no issue if Trump tagged @jack in this tweet or a member of Twitter's board. But to tag an individual employee who isn't in Twitter's C Suite is egregious.

I'm stating the obvious, but the power of the presidency must never be used to target individuals like this https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1266047584038256640
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
So ridiculous to see Twitter trying to make the case that Mail-In Ballots are not subject to FRAUD. How stupid, there are examples, & cases, all over the place. Our election process will become badly tainted & a laughingstock all over the World. Tell that to your hater @yoyoel

13:09 - 28 May 2020

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Well the hatred would be valid and justified. It was rotten from the start and it has to be addressed finally. And this is for the vice presidency. These people should have to answer for their actions if it helped to contribute to undue pain and imprisonment. I don't think that's unreasonable at all.

First, I don't think that Amy is really still in the running at all, not necessarily just because of what's happened here but the dynamics of the race aren't so much that Biden and Dems need to win over more voters but that the only way they lose at this point is if they fail to turn out the base.

I'm less worried about her being picked (though I would love that, I have a nuanced view on the role of prosecutors in that era nearly twenty years ago, perverse incentives lead to perverse outcomes), and more worried about some kind of wider purity test being applied that knocks out several candidates that IMO are well-positioned to help turn out that base and deliver long-term return on equity for key parts of the party base.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
The malice I see in Trump is mostly from his grudges. If someone slights him in any way no matter how small, it consumes him. He has to "win" against that person, no matter the personal or collateral cost. As it pertains to covid, I think his actions are a combination of incompetence, ignorance (in science, and in getting govt to work), laziness and narcissism, but not really malice. I don't think he has malice for people who haven't wronged him because they aren't on his radar. If those people don't affect him personally they are nothing to him. I do think he takes a perverse joy in knowing that people are suffering, because that highlights in his own mind that he is a winner, because he is doing fine. Remember to him, everything is a transaction, there's a winner and a loser, which is why he's incapable of diplomacy and failed to get any big deals done and instead tears them up.

The reality he wants to believe in is that covid never took hold here, and it went away quickly. Back in February and March, to do anything we would consider intuitive to prevent covid would be a waste of money and effort since that is his reality, and it would send the wrong message. I think he says whatever he wants to be true and believes his own lie in the moment he says it, and good luck anyone convincing him otherwise, and not just because he only surrounds himself with yes men.

When it comes to the suffering of people who haven't directly wronged him during this crisis, he has no empathy, no capacity to understand, and doesn't care at all. So in that regard, people losing their life or their job, he couldn't care less about them. He only cares in so much as it affects himself, his poll ratings, his perception of being a winner and not a loser, etc.

He is without a doubt one of the worst human beings I have ever seen in my life. No redeeming qualities, all bad qualities. I'm sure he identifies with Commodus from Gladiator:

"You wrote to me once, listing the four chief virtues: Wisdom, justice, fortitude and temperance. As I read the list, I knew I had none of them. But I have other virtues, father. Ambition. That can be a virtue when it drives us to excel. Resourcefulness, courage, perhaps not on the battlefield, but... there are many forms of courage. Devotion, to my family and to you. But none of my virtues were on your list. Even then it was as if you didn't want me for your son."
I don't think it's that simple. I still believe that there is a level of intentional malice in which he gets enjoyment out of inflicting pain on others.

In any event, fuck the Goldwater Rule, we need a deep dive into his psyche when this is all over.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
First, I don't think that Amy is really still in the running at all, not necessarily just because of what's happened here but the dynamics of the race aren't so much that Biden and Dems need to win over more voters but that the only way they lose at this point is if they fail to turn out the base.

I'm less worried about her being picked (though I would love that, I have a nuanced view on the role of prosecutors in that era nearly twenty years ago, perverse incentives lead to perverse outcomes), and more worried about some kind of wider purity test being applied that knocks out several candidates that IMO are well-positioned to help turn out that base and deliver long-term return on equity for key parts of the party base.
Some will for sure do that with Harris. But I think it'll be the Very Online people as usual. Who don't really matter electorally.

As long as Harris can adequately address her issues. Demings seems like such an unknown. I don't think she has a real shot. She isn't going to tip the scales for Florida.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I don't think it's that simple. I still believe that there is a level of intentional malice in which he gets enjoyment out of inflicting pain on others.

In any event, fuck the Goldwater Rule, we need a deep dive into his psyche when this is all over.
Narcissist get joy out of the revenge process he describes. The "win" rush. Even when its not a fair fight, it's still a win.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I think we should all assume that we're not getting the Senate back. At no point should we be satisfied that it "looks like" we'll win.
Woah slow your roll there. I'd still say we're less than even odds of taking the senate. Polls can look good but they've never seen the exogenous factors like rampant voter suppression of the sort we'll see if COVID is still a major factor in November
I hear you for sure. I just feel really good about Biden being up around 10, plus a lot of these head to head Senate polls looking solid. I don't want to count on anything being inevitable, but I just think things are going to keep getting worse for Trump, and that has to be creating some vulnerabilities that go our way in a wave election.

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously think Trump now sees his only out on this Twitter thing is to force them to ban his account and make himself the ultimate victim.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I hear you for sure. I just feel really good about Biden being up around 10, plus a lot of these head to head Senate polls looking solid. I don't want to count on anything being inevitable, but I just think things are going to keep getting worse for Trump, and that has to be creating some vulnerabilities that go our way in a wave election.
Yeah I agree with you. I know it's not over til election day but what's happening now makes a big difference on what happens then. Election day is just another data point.
I seriously think Trump now sees his only out on this Twitter thing is to force them to ban his account and make himself the ultimate victim.
That and it's a good distraction from 100,000 dead headlines

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine trump having lost on Nov3...now imagine what hell do between Nov 4th and the Biden inoguration in Jan. THAT is scary

The only silver lining might be that his goons know they won't have a servile DoJ looking the other way, while the professional staff that will continue on after Trump will mostly just slow-walk and outright ignore his demands if there is a hint of unethical BS going on. They ain't going to jail for a lame duck asshole

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine trump having lost on Nov3...now imagine what hell do between Nov 4th and the Biden inoguration in Jan. THAT is scary
This is what I am worried about.

It's in The Guardian now:

www.theguardian.com

George Floyd killing: two officers involved previously reviewed for use of force

Internal reviews of Derek Chauvin and Tou Thao’s use of force resulted in no disciplinary action, database confirms
Goddamn, and here I thought the worst of it was the stapler throwing.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017

@thehill
#BREAKING: President Trump signs executive order strip liability protection from companies that censure content: "Companies that engage in censoring or any political conduct will not be able to keep their liability shield." http://hill.cm/8Katfls
@thehill
Reporter: "Given your concern with Twitter, have you given any consideration to deleting your account?"

President Trump: "If you weren't fake I would not even think about it. I would do it in a heartbeat."

Reporter: "I'm real sir."

President Trump: "But the news is fake."

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Although Klobuchar was the Hennepin county attorney at the time of an October 2006 police shooting involving Chauvin, she did not prosecute and instead the case went to a grand jury that declined to charge the officers with wrongdoing in 2008.

Amy Klobuchar was elected to the Senate in the fall of 2006. This shooting occurred right during her election, and the grand jury events afterwards happened after well she left the office to go to the Senate.

Relegation of these cases to a grand jury was commonplace then (and is bad!), and reforms here have only been going on for the past few years and still aren't what you would call commonplace even today.

So I'm struggling to see what exactly Klobuchar did wrong here that thousands of other County Attorneys across also didn't do wrong here in that same time period. And I trust that the campaign will see this as a dealbreaker, and pass her over. Demanding her to withdraw from consideration will embolden more demands to withdraw to others. And I'd push back on that because it takes some very good candiates and people out of the running that would be excellent picks.

Last edited:

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
I will guarantee you he will pardon himself. Maybe Roger Stone and Flynn too, but for sure himself. The best thing is that it won't matter as all the state charges from New York will haunt him with court fees the rest of his short remaining life. Once Trump realizes he is out he will try some frantic dumb shit, and by that time all his sycophants that might actually have the brains to help him or stop him will have jumped ship to someone else. No one will be around to help him even appear to be sane in those last few weeks. It will be interesting what a moron who doesn't know how to spell hamburgers or knows that insulin is for people with diabetes will do without his handlers supervising the little man-child.

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
It's so obvious that there are only yes-men left. This Twitter spat is one of the most embarrassing moments of the Trump presidency, in the middle of a pandemic no less.

I'm sure independents/older voters are loving this as the departure from his COVID-19 briefings. /s

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I will guarantee you he will pardon himself. Maybe Roger Stone and Flynn too, but for sure himself. The best thing is that it won't matter as all the state charges from New York will haunt him with court fees the rest of his short remaining life. Once Trump realizes he is out he will try some frantic dumb shit, and by that time all his sycophants that might actually have the brains to help him or stop him will have jumped ship to someone else. No one will be around to help him even appear to be sane in those last few weeks. It will be interesting what a moron who doesn't know how to spell hamburgers or knows that insulin is for people with diabetes will do without his handlers supervising the little man-child.
You think Roberts is going to uphold a Presidential self-pardon when it inevitably gets to the SC?

The more clever play for Trump is to step down right before his term and have Pence pardon him.

Oct 27, 2017
You think Roberts is going to uphold a Presidential self-pardon when it inevitably gets to the SC?

The more clever play for Trump is to step down right before his term and have Pence pardon him.

His biggest political fear is looking like a loser by quitting, which is why he complains about Nixon not fighting the Impeachment threat from Congress

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018

I never said it would work, but I am curious to see what he tries to pull. I doubt he is smart enough to do the Pence thing. That would be smart move and Trump doesn't really have a good track record with smart decisions. Would be an interesting battle, wonder which would win out? Trump's power hungry ego vs Trump's save his own ass narcissism? His brain might fully stop working as those two sides battle it out.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Fair points, but I'm not sure he'll give a damn about resigning on Jan 19 if it makes it through his empty skull that a blanket federal pardon is likely to stick if Pence does it, but not if he pardons himself.

He's gonna be burning everything down on the way out anyways. Bonus points for owning the libs on the way out with that move. Trumpets would probably eat it up.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine being so butthurt that you sign an EO on the platform that made you butthurt. Imagine if said platform actually ends up deleting Trump's account because he removed their liability protections because he's a toxic moron spreading lies and signal-boosting conspiracy theories.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I'm fairly convinced Trump's too narcissistic to elevate a toady like Pence above him for even a day.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so confused, am I missing something? Trump gets mad at twitter for fact-checking his lies so he signs and order making them more liable if they continue to keep his lies on their platform? Is that what's happening here?

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
I'm fairly convinced Trump's too narcissistic to elevate a toady like Pence above him for even a day.
Why did he even pick Pence? He has the enthusiasm of a cardboard cutout and only seems to spout empty platitudes.

I'm so confused, am I missing something? Trump gets mad at twitter for fact-checking his lies so he signs and order making them more liable if they continue to keep his lies on their platform? Is that what's happening here?
He got butt-hurt after they tagged one of his tweets talking about mail-in voting. So now he's lashing out by trying to remove liability protections so he can go after them with lawyers.

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
Fair points, but I'm not sure he'll give a damn about resigning on Jan 19 if it makes it through his empty skull that a blanket federal pardon is likely to stick if Pence does it, but not if he pardons himself.

He's gonna be burning everything down on the way out anyways. Bonus points for owning the libs on the way out with that move. Trumpets would probably eat it up.

You're treating Trump like a rational actor. Bad idea. He hates looking weak More than anything, quetting make some work look weak so he won't quit. Doesn't matter how much logical an idea is when you're not beholden to logic.

He might try and pardon himself if for no other reason then I'll string things even further out as it's appeal up to the supreme Court. Even if it doesn't work. but I think the most likely scenario is he just simply gives a blanket pardon entire administration. That way anyone who could testify against him has no reason to because there's no threat of prosecution themselves. You might even see people willing to confess to his crimes themselves simply because the they can't be held accountable for it.

It's just sort of thing he would do (or rather someone's smarter than him would suggest to him). Although it shatters every law of decency there's no rule saying hee can't, it forces everyone else to look dirty whilehe can still pretend to be clean, and it will set the libs screaming, so his base will think it's a win.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Why did he even pick Pence? He has the enthusiasm of a cardboard cutout and only seems to spout empty platitudes.

That's what he wanted. He doesn't want anyone who has even the smallest chance of upstaging him. He wants someone who will eat whatever shit he throws at them and never, ever for a second look better than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.