• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
Ok, I'll admit it, that was a bad take.
Just a little jaded from all the stories of everyone flocking outside all over the place and not social distancing. Let's be honest Biden could go anywhere and social distance by default thanks to his secret service detail... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You were in the clear, all you had to say was it was a bad take, but then did that. I'm not really sure what that has to do with this except I guess to say he's privileged since he's running for president? Which, again, seems like an odd time to go down that path when saying you had a bad take.

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
There were 20+ people out at a bar by my house when I drove by the other night. Inside, none wearing masks, sitting close together. I'm not worried about joe Biden wearing PPE and laying a wreath outdoors on Memorial Day...

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Hostility, modwhining
Just a little jaded from all the stories of everyone flocking outside all over the place and not social distancing. Let's be honest Biden could go anywhere and social distance by default thanks to his secret service detail... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

what the fuck is wrong with this forum? We had a mass exodus of political regulars, solid and valuable members to the site as whole, due to the alienation caused by the Tara reade thing and now we have forum moderators coming here and spinning more shit. What does your second sentence even mean? Why is it even said? are you guys literally trying to just denounce anything against Biden and shit up any meaningful political threads?

Oct 25, 2017
what the fuck is wrong with this forum? We had a mass exodus of political regulars, solid and valuable members to the site as whole, due to the alienation caused by the Tara reade thing and now we have forum moderators coming here and spinning more shit. What does your second sentence even mean? Why is it even said? are you guys literally trying to just denounce anything against Biden and shit up any meaningful political threads?
Flexin'.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Conservatives have turned wearing masks as a safety measure into a political issue. I can't with these people. :/

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There were 20+ people out at a bar by my house when I drove by the other night. Inside, none wearing masks, sitting close together. I'm not worried about joe Biden wearing PPE and laying a wreath outdoors on Memorial Day...
Yet Trump and Pence don't...
While I agree with the overall sentiment of these two posts, I actually think they're wrong in a certain key aspect: the problem with Flix's post isn't that Joe Biden wasn't less safe than other people; it's that he DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG IN THE FIRST PLACE.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't LA like 3 days ago "we can't open until July because we are awful". And now it's just full steam ahead?

people are watching Georgia, Colorado, etc and just throwing hands up in the air.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't LA like 3 days ago "we can't open until July because we are awful". And now it's just full steam ahead?

people are watching Georgia, Colorado, etc and just throwing hands up in the air.
Seriously, man, wtf!? It's like people have just had enough and are saying fuck it. They can't be inconvenienced any longer.

I was driving around downtown Detroit today and there were hundreds of people out and about and only maybe 1 in 10 were wearing masks.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Florida is also very excited to re-open so more people can die.

DeSantis really showed his ass here. He was always pretty shitty but had managed to mask it somewhat (the stuff with former convicts and the push to not let them be able to vote showed DeSantis as the shit he is) but he isn't even trying to hide it.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
CA has 2,000 cases a day, with reduced distancing measures it's not likely that things will go back to exponential growth but it's also not likely that number is long term going to go down much. I don't know what the plans for contract tracing are but that would be really powerful to get the numbers down even through the reducing of distancing measures.

High number of cases + reproduction rate near 1 = the pandemic that never ends.

Also, no one is talking about it but states with actual people are going broke REAL BAD and being forced into this faster than they want to some degree.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

This is the same poster who was saying from a global perspective the Trump and Biden aren't that far apart. Which I guess might be true on one or two policies.

Safe to ignore their political opinions.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, man, wtf!? It's like people have just had enough and are saying fuck it. They can't be inconvenienced any longer.

I was driving around downtown Detroit today and there were hundreds of people out and about and only maybe 1 in 10 were wearing masks.
Maybe people want to speed run to the 2nd wave?

I think people lack long term critical thinking and the fact that states can't afford to be closed for long. We might end up getting 25k to 30k and increasing sometime next month. I won't be suprised if some states shutdown again and act surprised.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
This is how Trump "wins." People just get so stir crazy that they say forget it and go back to normal. He's banking on that come November.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Just so we're clear, this post is hostile, toxic, and is bannable no matter who it's aimed at. Mods are people, and they have opinions. You disagreeing with 'em is not a license to pop off.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Ignatz, I like you enough that I hope you don't get banned for this.

Why would I get banned for pointing out that there are some posters whose political takes you can ignore? It wasn't hostile, and them being a moderator doesn't elevate their political opinion. That Biden/Trump take was so bad I remembered it, and I'm not the kinda guy to remember such things generally.

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
The end to the pandemic restrictions is just what happens when rich, privileged, white people protest.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
Conservatives have turned wearing masks as a safety measure into a political issue. I can't with these people. :/

Of course they did.

They made "Nazism/fascism is bad" political.
They made "climate change is real and a crisis" political.
They made "more people should be able to vote" political.
They made "LGBTQIA+ people exist" political.
They made "children shouldn't be locked in cages and shot in schools" political.
They made "black people shouldn't be murdered by cops" political.
They made "poor people should not die from no healthcare" political
Now they've made "listen to doctors and wear a damn mask to save lives" political.

They're assholes and pieces of shit. They have been like this for decades, and this will not change even when Trump is gone. Period.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Of course they did.

They made "Nazism/fascism is bad" political.
They made "climate change is real and a crisis" political.
They made "more people should be able to vote" political.
They made "LGBTQIA+ people exist" political.
They made "children shouldn't be locked in cages and shot in schools" political.
They made "black people shouldn't be murdered by cops" political.
They made "poor people should not die from no healthcare" political
Now they've made "listen to doctors and wear a damn mask to save lives" political.

They're assholes and pieces of shit. They have been like this for decades, and this will not change even when Trump is gone. Period.

Thia is the most depressing a d true thing I've read today.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
On topic: The politicization of everything is definitely part of the overall polarization problem we've got in the US. It's depressing as hell.
When moderation does it, it isn't toxic or thread shitting. Got it.
When a moderator has a take you disagree with, it's not any more toxic or threadshitty than anybody else having one, yeah. I'm not going to comment on the specifics of Flix's post, because it's frankly not germane to the discussion. Either this is a community that is actually founded on reasoned discourse and analysis - which will necessarily involve dealing productively with takes that don't measure up - or it's not. The post that was banned is not that.

Oct 25, 2017
Ras...

Trump Approval Index History

Date : 25-May-20

Approval Index : -16

Strongly Approve : 31%

Strongly Disapprove : 47%

Total Approve : 43%

Total Disapprove : 55%

mussen...

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
On topic: The politicization of everything is definitely part of the overall polarization problem we've got in the US. It's depressing as hell.

The thing is, it's only one side doing this. They're the ones politicizing everything, obstructing, insulting, intimidating and stretching the checks and balances to their breaking point. It's polarized because the GOP made it that way. Right is wrong and wrong is right to them. And you cannot fucking compromise with that.

Oct 25, 2017

When a moderator has a take you disagree with, it's not any more toxic or threadshitty than anybody else having one, yeah. I'm not going to comment on the specifics of Flix's post, because it's frankly not germane to the discussion. Either this is a community that is actually founded on reasoned discourse and analysis - which will necessarily involve dealing productively with takes that don't measure up - or it's not. The post that was banned is not that.

To be clear, are you saying you can't comment on Flix's posts because that is not germane to discussion, or that Flix's posts aren't germane to discussion?

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
I know its a small thing, but I genuinely think Biden wearing a mask today represents a striking contrast to Trump.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, are you saying you can't comment on Flix's posts because that is not germane to discussion, or that Flix's posts aren't germane to discussion?
No one is saying that if a mod posts something, you cannot disagree with it. I have said plenty of stupid stuff and will continue to make mistakes, and when I do, I hope people would point that out to me and disagree with my takes.

But we have a rule against hostility towards other users. Mods are also people. If you disagree with a mod's take, you should reply to them like you would reply to any other person on this forum. It does not mean that you can say something like "now we have forum moderators coming here and spinning more shit." "are you guys literally trying to [...] shit up any meaningful political threads?". This isn't how we talk to other users, mod or not.

Oct 25, 2017
No one is saying that if a mod posts something, you cannot disagree with it. I have said plenty of stupid stuff and will continue to make mistakes, and when I do, I hope people would point that out to me and disagree with my takes.

But we have a rule against hostility towards other users. Mods are also people. If you disagree with a mod's take, you should reply to them like you would reply to any other person on this forum. It does not mean that you can say something like "now we have forum moderators coming here and spinning more shit." "are you guys literally trying to [...] shit up any meaningful political threads?". This isn't how we talk to other users, mod or not.
Cool, yeah, that's agreed.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, it's only one side doing this. They're the ones politicizing everything, obstructing, insulting, intimidating and stretching the checks and balances to their breaking point. It's polarized because the GOP made it that way. Right is wrong and wrong is right to them. And you cannot fucking compromise with that.
Mostly. There's a few topics, but you're right that's it's hugely asymmetrical.
Rass going from being best Trump poll to about what the aggregate is has been weird
It's early for them to be making that play. Typically they wait until things are down to the wire.

Oct 25, 2017
Rass going from being best Trump poll to about what the aggregate is has been weird

Rass has two modes. One is the 'Likely voter' mode which is make believe horseshit and weighting to push conservative narrative (like their hilarious 'likely voter' tracker they started three and a half years ago for Trump) The other is the 'registered voter' mode which is actually pretty respectible. They like to shift from make believe weightings to real numbers the closer they get to the election to maintain their thin veil of credibility.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017

I bet Biden's enjoying eating those tasty crackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.