• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

JUST IN: The DOJ inspector general Horowitz brushes back Trump, says Atkinson was widely respected —including for his handling of the Ukraine whistleblower report.
EUu-4JHXQAI-56r

Oct 26, 2017
Frankly I'm surprised it took this long.

I get what you're saying but don't do that. Don't normalize Trump's actions.

It always drives me crazy when I hear someone in the media go, "Yeah it's outrageous and probably illegal, but frankly I'm not surprised..." and then goes on to the next subject. Trump relies on us losing our capacity to be shocked and outrage. He wants us to just shrug our shoulders as he continues his power grabs with nothing more than a negative 5 minute news segment.

No one accused this IG of wrong-doing or making any critical mistakes. Even Republicans in Congress said he was just doing his job and they mostly directed their ire at the whistleblower. Trump is firing him purely because the IG vetted and validated a whistleblower report (which ended up being accurate) and then informed Congress of the report (which he legally had to do). In normal times firing the IG over this would have been impeachable itself.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
I don't even know how he spreads his crappy propaganda with those briefings anymore. He goes up every day and just recites slight different numbers about numbers of tests, masks, ventilators, etc., and doesn't actually announce anything or give anything close to helpful info the average American would be interested in. Reporters ask mostly the same questions every day, but stand up to him more each time; he responds with world salad and gets more combative.

Today was literally "I'm announcing this thing you should do, but you don't have to, and also I'm not going to." Leadership, baby!

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
straight up, this fake news stuff pisses me off, its literally brainwashing large swaths of people, and i dont fucking understand why its spreading.

like...anyone wonder what path might have led you down to being anti-vax in another timeline? like i cant see it. but its spreading like wildfire, enough to actually shoot down laws being proposed. wild.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Oh, so, random trivia...
With the deaths on Friday, we've managed more COVID deaths than from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars combined! Another few days we'll get 9/11 on top of that, meaning we will have surpassed all the needless loss of life from 15+ years of terrorism and war over the course of one goddamn month.

Depressing milestones we'll hopefully not reach in the coming months--
Korean War: 44,499
Vietnam War: 58,318
WWI: 116,708

Deleted member 8644

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, so, random trivia...
With the deaths on Friday, we've managed more COVID deaths than from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars combined! Another few days we'll get 9/11 on top of that, meaning we will have surpassed all the needless loss of life from 15+ years of terrorism and war over the course of one goddamn month.

Depressing milestones we'll hopefully not reach in the coming months--
Korean War: 44,499
Vietnam War: 58,318
WWI: 116,708
Here's another piece of random trivia for your pub crawls, non American lives matter too

Deleted member 8644

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is a US PoliERA thread and we're discussing the political and humanitarian functions of our government, thus I figure it's appropriate for here. It would not be appropriate in the main COVID thread, naturally.
I'm more saying that the politics of the USA in those cases mainly killed people abroad, which is why talking about domestic loss of life when talking about war is vastly underselling the damage. The USA's mishandling of covid will affect people abroad as well, but not nearly to the same extent.

Oct 26, 2017
It's still hard for me to fathom that within roughly a week we'll have over 20,000 dead according to projections. I know the projections have been eerily accurate so far, but it's still hard for me to believe that 13,000 are going to die in a week's time from this disease in addition to the 7,000 that already lost their lives.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's still hard for me to fathom that within roughly a week we'll have over 20,000 dead according to projections. I know the projections have been eerily accurate so far, but it's still hard for me to believe that 13,000 are going to die in a week's time from this disease in addition to the 7,000 that already lost their lives.
It's not hard to believe if you follow the numbers

what's hard to believe is that we know the numbers and we still aren't acting accordingly

Culex

Oct 29, 2017

what's hard to believe is that we know the numbers and we still aren't acting accordingly
Yep- still trying to go to parks and beaches, having multiple play dates with a dozen kids at a time. Inviting your entire extended family over. In normal times - fine. This is not normal. You are potentially murdering someone.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep- still trying to go to parks and beaches, having multiple play dates with a dozen kids at a time. Inviting your entire extended family over. In normal times - fine. This is not normal. You are potentially murdering someone.
Im not even talking about the ignorant masses, im talking about the federal government and many states

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

Trump said Obama did a terrible job for letting 12,000 die as part of H1N1 but no one will take him to task on this because there's literally 18 million other things spewing out of his shithole and our media have no spine.

Oct 26, 2017

I've been following the numbers.

What I'm trying to say, it's starting to hit me that it's not just some abstract number or daily statistic. 13,000 more people are going to die in the next 7 days. And yes, people die all the time but a large percentage of these people are going to die needlessly because of the incompetence in the White House.

When this is done, everyone will have been negatively affected in some way. Either by knowing someone who died or knowing someone who was severely ill. Or being ill themselves and fearing for their life even if they survive. Or losing their job. Or losing their home. Or losing out on their education.

From a political standpoint, I'm going to make a bold prediction and predict Trump will be in the low 30s with his approval rating around 30-45 days before election day. There's going to be so much carnage that only Trump True Believers will stick by him. All the economic projections do not show a "V" recovery. They show a slow 3 year recovery to 2023 before things get close to what they were two months ago. Trump wo'n't be able to run on the economy this fall, he'll only be able to run on "cleaning up his own shit-pile" and who's gong to trust him to do that when he's fighting with half the governors in this country who have a higher approval rating than him?

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

Collins: I'm very glad you asked about that because the data show that that is just not the case. There has been a widely quoted statistic that Maine got only 5 percent of its requests and Florida got 100 percent of its requests. The fact is that Maine requested far more masks than Florida did. When you look at the number of masks that had been sent out in three different shipments from the national stockpile, 86,000 masks have been sent to the state of Maine and that is one mask for every 15 Mainers. In Florida, the number of masks is 540,000, but that equates to only one out of every 40 [Floridians] receiving or having masks. So the masks are generally allocated on a per-capita basis.
Collins: First let me say that I was among many who advised the president to listen more closely to the excellent medical advisers that he has like Dr. Fauci and like Dr. Deborah Birx [the White House coronavirus response coordinator], and he has been doing that lately. And I think his daily press briefings have been far more helpful to the American people and that he has deferred in many cases to the experts who usually accompany him to those press briefings.
"And I think his daily press briefings have been far more helpful to the American people..."

Exactly the right message in a D+3 state.
LOL Sue.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Sports orgs made the decision to close down without Trump's input, and they'll make the decision to reopen without it. Just like the states.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017

NEW: 70 squandered days until Trump took coronavirus seriously. Our reconstruct of fights over money, warnings unheeded, a cascade of testing failures + institutional failures that left the US unprepared. w/ @jdawsey1 @nakashimae @gregpmiller https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2020/04/04/coronavirus-government-dysfunction/?no_nav=true&p9w22b2p=b2p22p9w00098&tid=a_classic-iphone …

This is a very damning article...not just for Trump and Kushner, but also for the CDC.

You know shit is bad when Azar comes across as the competent do-gooder.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
These are massive organizations with significant power over the American populace and their actions can have an impact to the spread of the virus. So hopefully he's not goading them into rushing back to market before it's deemed safe for a campaign bit.
But if they aren't playing with fans, what's the issue?
Maybe if there was something to watch it would help keep people inside. I'd watch 8 hours of golf right now if it was live

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
But if they aren't playing with fans, what's the issue?
Maybe if there was something to watch it would help keep people inside. I'd watch 8 hours of golf right now if it was live
Still endangering the staffers and players' health unnecessarily, IMO.

Maybe. But conversely, NBA or Baseball resumes, might cause gatherings to watch.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Absolutely. Hopefully they just ignore him.
A saner President might caution Goodell about going forward with the Draft.

You can still do the draft. Teams conference call internally to work through their selections and then they just call it in (or maybe even submit it online) to the league. You wouldn't want to do the big TV production and bring a ton of fans into a venue but you can still fairly easily conduct a draft.

less

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how Sue was before 2016 but I wouldn't be surprised if she was always as bad as she is but not having a hated President running allowed her to play her game and survive. This time around less people are willing to believe her bullshit but she can't adapt and make the moves necessary for one reason or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.