• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I strongly disagree. Being governor of one of the largest states in the country requires more experience and competence than just listening to advice from other people. That's part of it, but it's not all of it. I also strongly disagree with the idea that as long as you're far enough left you're somehow qualified for whatever political job you want without putting in the shit work. Competence matters.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I strongly disagree. Being governor of one of the largest states in the country requires more experience and competence than just listening to advice from other people. That's part of it, but it's not all of it. I also strongly disagree with the idea that as long as you're far enough left you're somehow qualified for whatever political job you want without putting in the shit work. Competence matters.
Of course it matters, the problem is Cuomo is putting his experience and acumen towards goals that will hurt NY and NYC for years to come.

I'd rather roll the dice with someone who isn't gonna push for terrible policy at the worst possible time.

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
Cuomo doing a good job is him competently reading documents on TV and listening to advice. Doesn't exactly take Lincoln level leadership.

I think we can simultaneously say Cuomo and Nixon are not the answer. It's not a this or that proposition. Nixon is frighteningly incompetent and gullible, and Cuomo is a goblin on policy.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Y'all seriously arguing for Cynthia Nixon?

letitgo.jpg

Not this weekend now.

They should have sat on it TBH.
I mean I feel like in the midst of budget agreements that are gonna hurt the state in big ways bringing up that the alternative candidate was gonna do the opposite is worth ruminating on. But ya know lol, billions of cuts to Medicaid, increased pretrial detention, no legal marijuana, no increased school funding and restricting democratic movements aren't big deals. It's not like these decisions are gonna fuck over the state and its people long after Cuomo is gone.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I'd rather roll the dice with someone who isn't gonna push for terrible policy at the worst possible time.
I mean, I'm not going to defend Cuomo here. I don't know what he's playing at....but again, rolling the dice is what a lot of people thought was good with Trump, and look where that got us. Am I saying Nixon would have been Leftist Trump or whatever? No. But we shouldn't be rolling the dice with chief executives. If Nixon wanted to do something in politics, she could have run (successfully) for anything else. Instead, she went for something she was wholly unqualified for and lost huge.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I mean, I'm not going to defend Cuomo here. I don't know what he's playing at....but again, rolling the dice is what a lot of people thought was good with Trump, and look where that got us. Am I saying Nixon would have been Leftist Trump or whatever? No. But we shouldn't be rolling the dice with chief executives. If Nixon wanted to do something in politics, she could have run (successfully) for anything else. Instead, she went for something she was wholly unqualified for and lost huge.
Yeah it was dumb of her to go straight to running for Governor of NY, agreed. I'm not arguing that Nixon was a political mastermind that got cheated or anything, but at the end of the day I would much rather have her be in charge because she wasn't pushing policy that has made pandemics even worse during a pandemic!

Oct 25, 2017
There's something to be said about Dem Governors in general being limp on economic policy in general. 1m people filed for unemployment in CA and Newsom's sitting on his hands.

Leadership vanishes the moment discussion shifts from easy wins that don't address our most pressing issues.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

twitter.com

Mitchell Byars on Twitter

“Longmont Mayor Brian Bagley, who previously said he was against self-isolation, said at a virtual #coronavirus meeting that he wanted "somebody to come over and spit in my mouth so I can go to the hospital now cause I'm not going to die" https://t.co/7iJGJ3GXBE via @AdiGTV”

www.thedenverchannel.com

Longmont mayor defends slamming stay-at-home order and coronavirus comments

The mayor of Longmont is getting backlash from local business owners after he slammed the governor's stay-at-home policy during a virtual City Council meeting, where he said he wanted "somebody to come over and spit in my mouth."

LONGMONT — The mayor of Longmont is getting backlash from local business owners after he slammed the governor's stay-at-home policy during a virtual City Council meeting, and said he wanted "somebody to come over and spit in my mouth."
The goal of the March 25 meeting was to address local coronavirus fears and issues. Boulder County Public Health Executive Director Jeff Zayach also phoned in on the meeting to explain data, policies and answer questions for city council members.
Julie Benoit and Luc Nadeau, who are both business owners in Longmont, said the video of the conference is circulating in the community.
They said Mayor Brian Bagley's comments left them reeling, but this comment stuck out: "I want somebody to come over and spit in my mouth so I can go to the hospital now cause I'm not going to die," the mayor said.
Nadeau said it felt like the mayor was sending the wrong message to young people — that they don't have to take the outbreak seriously; they won't go to the hospital; they won't die.
"I just felt that it was a disregard for an elderly neighbor, a grandparent, a compromised child or adult," Benoit said.
The mayor defended himself on Monday.
"First of all, I was speaking with emotion and sarcasm, obviously I don't want someone to come over and spit in my mouth," Bagley said. "What I meant was there is rooms in the hospital. I would rather get sick now than later."

twitter.com

MilestoneAchievingHat on Twitter

“Why does every dudebrah who says something like this look EXACTLY like someone you'd expect to say something like this https://t.co/ogSH5vckMv”

Oct 27, 2017
Cuomo claims he'd rather have the medicaid money year-over-year than a larger sum that can't all be spent in a year.

There's some variation among Democratic governors beyond heeding health officials. NJ and CT brought banks and insurance to bear to allow people to defer payments and premiums without impacting credit. Cuomo keeps deflecting questions concerning rents, because he knows the landlords provide the state revenue via their property.

Still, none of them can enact the total payment freeze that some economists have been advocating.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado

twitter.com

Mitchell Byars on Twitter

“Longmont Mayor Brian Bagley, who previously said he was against self-isolation, said at a virtual #coronavirus meeting that he wanted "somebody to come over and spit in my mouth so I can go to the hospital now cause I'm not going to die" https://t.co/7iJGJ3GXBE via @AdiGTV”

www.thedenverchannel.com

Longmont mayor defends slamming stay-at-home order and coronavirus comments

The mayor of Longmont is getting backlash from local business owners after he slammed the governor's stay-at-home policy during a virtual City Council meeting, where he said he wanted "somebody to come over and spit in my mouth."

LONGMONT — The mayor of Longmont is getting backlash from local business owners after he slammed the governor's stay-at-home policy during a virtual City Council meeting, and said he wanted "somebody to come over and spit in my mouth."
The goal of the March 25 meeting was to address local coronavirus fears and issues. Boulder County Public Health Executive Director Jeff Zayach also phoned in on the meeting to explain data, policies and answer questions for city council members.
Julie Benoit and Luc Nadeau, who are both business owners in Longmont, said the video of the conference is circulating in the community.
They said Mayor Brian Bagley's comments left them reeling, but this comment stuck out: "I want somebody to come over and spit in my mouth so I can go to the hospital now cause I'm not going to die," the mayor said.
Nadeau said it felt like the mayor was sending the wrong message to young people — that they don't have to take the outbreak seriously; they won't go to the hospital; they won't die.
"I just felt that it was a disregard for an elderly neighbor, a grandparent, a compromised child or adult," Benoit said.
The mayor defended himself on Monday.
"First of all, I was speaking with emotion and sarcasm, obviously I don't want someone to come over and spit in my mouth," Bagley said. "What I meant was there is rooms in the hospital. I would rather get sick now than later."

twitter.com

MilestoneAchievingHat on Twitter

“Why does every dudebrah who says something like this look EXACTLY like someone you'd expect to say something like this https://t.co/ogSH5vckMv”

Not surprising from the Longmont mayor. Longmont is a weird town. We stopped there for groceries on our way to the mountains one time, and it didn't feel like we were in Colorado anymore, especially for being a town that's like 10 minutes from Boulder. The only good part about Longmont is Left Hand and their Oktoberfest.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Not surprising from the Longmont mayor. Longmont is a weird town. We stopped there for groceries on our way to the mountains one time, and it didn't feel like we were in Colorado anymore, especially for being a town that's like 10 minutes from Boulder. The only good part about Longmont is Left Hand and their Oktoberfest.

Left Hand makes a good milk stout.

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, I hope we all learned from Trump that "rolling the dice" has HUGE risks when it comes to chief executive positions.

Yes sometimes you need to drastically shake things up but there needs to be minimum standards of experience and competency when "rolling the dice". Obama was a gamble because he was a junior U.S. Senator and only had state legislative experience and no real executive experience beyond community organizing. But he was smart as balls and at least had some Federal office experience. He also wasn't afraid to surround himself with people who were even smarter than him.

But then you got your Sarah Palin and Donald Trump gambles. Sarah Palin actually had some executive experience but didn't have an ounce of competency. Trump didn't have competency and never held elected office in his life. And we wonder why Trump can't manage a pandemic yet someone like Cuomo with actual experience and competency makes it look relatively easy (which it isn't).

It's why I think Biden is polling so strong. The majority want a competent no drama executive who knows their shit. I think trying to adjust the idealogical scale or to make fundamental change is better done by controlling both the House and Senate, and state legislators. I think Democrats have made the mistake over the last 30 years by focusing too much on executive positions and ignoring everything else.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

twitter.com

Manu Raju on Twitter

“No appetite yet among GOP for phase four, as McCarthy and McConnell have made clear in recent days. Pelosi will still try to force their hands later this month and move a Dem package - if the House is able to come back to session. GOP calculus could change if conditions worsen...

twitter.com

Marianne LeVine on Twitter

“McConnell talks to @costareports about infrastructure: "We’d all love to do it, but there is the reality of how you pay for it....1/ https://t.co/YDXqwjTkCf”

twitter.com

Marianne LeVine on Twitter

“2/ "It would take a lot of convincing to convince me that we should do transportation in a way that’s not credibly paid for after what we just passed last week.””

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
What's the betting if Trump doesn't go golfing this weekend due to the leak, he never returns the $45K of taxpayer money he just put in his pocket?

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering that as this goes on, and Trump's approval rating continues to tank (especially in states he needs to win), he'll be desperate for a win. A new package- something. He'll force McConnell to come to the table. Guess what Democrats will ask for in exchange?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018

JM Rieger @RiegerReport

JESSE WATTERS on March 3: "I'm not afraid of the coronavirus and no one else should be that afraid either."

JESSE WATTERS on April 1: Democrats and the media repeatedly downplayed the coronavirus threat

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Considering that as this goes on, and Trump's approval rating continues to tank (especially in states he needs to win), he'll be desperate for a win. A new package- something. He'll force McConnell to come to the table. Guess what Democrats will ask for in exchange?

Republicans will never allow it. It would obliterate the party in November and hand democrats irreversible majorities for decades.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
www.justice.gov

Train Operator at Port of Los Angeles Charged with Derailing Locomotive Near U.S. Navy’s Hospital Ship Mercy

A train engineer at the Port of Los Angeles was arrested this morning on federal charges for allegedly running a locomotive at full speed off the end of rail tracks near the USNS Mercy.

In his first interview with the Los Angeles Port Police, Moreno acknowledged that he "did it," saying that he was suspicious of the Mercy and believing it had an alternate purpose related to COVID-19 or a government takeover, the affidavit states. Moreno stated that he acted alone and had not pre-planned the attempted attack. While admitting to intentionally derailing and crashing the train, he said he knew it would bring media attention and "people could see for themselves," referring to the Mercy, according to the affidavit.

In a second interview with FBI agents, Moreno stated that "he did it out of the desire to 'wake people up,'" according to the affidavit. "Moreno stated that he thought that the U.S.N.S. Mercy was suspicious and did not believe 'the ship is what they say it's for.'"

Oct 27, 2017
Public hearings coming from an investigation would have to practice social distancing, which means less questions in less time. And some witnesses may not want to come forward because a) their work on the virus isn't done, and b) they could be fired and replaced with low-to-no competency people.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what kind of timeline that twitter user thinks we're on here, but by the time this all ends and we've been able to gather data it may very well be after the election all on its own, nevermind the roadblocks republicans would be throwing up if they still had the white house and the senate.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Investigating the coronavirus response before the coronavirus response is over is just bait for Republicans.

"See! They don't care about the AMERICAN PEOPLE. They only care about trying to take down the President!"

Like....it writes itself at this point.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
www.justice.gov

Train Operator at Port of Los Angeles Charged with Derailing Locomotive Near U.S. Navy’s Hospital Ship Mercy

A train engineer at the Port of Los Angeles was arrested this morning on federal charges for allegedly running a locomotive at full speed off the end of rail tracks near the USNS Mercy.
He was overheard mumbling something about the DNC and "my dads a lifelong republican, but I finally convinced him to vote for Bernie."

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
Investigating the coronavirus response before the coronavirus response is over is just bait for Republicans.

"See! They don't care about the AMERICAN PEOPLE. They only care about trying to take down the President!"

Like....it writes itself at this point.
Yup, it would be a rally cry for Repubs and invigorate their base. It needs to wait till after the election at the very least.

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah you have to wait for this thing to be over to really rail everyone. And if you get the trifecta, it will make things run more smoothly anyway. It's not like people aren't going to be aware it was a mess if you don't investigate right now at a time where you can't even be around people anyway.

Also this was delightful:

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah you have to wait for this thing to be over to really rail everyone. And if you get the trifecta, it will make things run more smoothly anyway. It's not like people aren't going to be aware it was a mess if you don't investigate right now at a time where you can't even be around people anyway.

Also this was delightful:

That's so good. I love the thoughtful silence at the end which totally wasn't her producer screaming in her ear not to follow up.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017

Abso-fucking-lutely. We should be empaneling a number of comprehensive investigations about things that have happened over the last four years, but this'll be a necessary one. And Democrats need to do it without slowing down on legislation next year, presuming we take the presidency and/or Senate.

Sure, do this in an nearly 20% Asian district

1. Cut trade with China.
2. ???
3. Profit!

Do y'all think we should hold up on investigating the virus response until after the election?

This is, for better or worse, sensible. It wouldn't play particularly well to drag people in front of committees to testify when they should be working on a crisis, or otherwise occupying staff/resources on sorting and delivering documents and whatnot.That's a political reality. Scream and criticize now, but you can't do much more than that.

Oct 26, 2017

Do y'all think we should hold up on investigating the virus response until after the election?

I saw the full interview and of course it should be after the election. I would actually like the commission to be at least somewhat effective rather just yet another battleground for partisan score settling prior to the election. If we want this commission to actually be useful, it needs to be done after we're out of crisis mode with the pandemic and out of the election cycle. Schiff is actually proposing this in good faith. He's probably my favorite politician right now.

There will be PLENTY of ammunition to attack Trump on his response to the pandemic prior to the election. We've already seen some great ads that can just be played on a loop starting in August.

Also I think the Republicans (who will be former officials) that are on the commission will be less afraid to roast Trump in the report once he's out of office instead of pulling punches.

Status
Not open for further replies.