• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Brett McGurk on Twitter

“Nothing to see here. Just a Russian military aircraft landing at JFK with 60 tons of medical supplies to support America’s #COVID19 response. A propaganda bonanza as our own government shrinks from America’s leadership role in a global crisis. https://t.co/8TKyFqym9E”

twitter.com

Bill Browder on Twitter

“What is the US doing accepting “help” from Russia on the Corona virus? This is a humiliating PR stunt with no substance. I guarantee you the next step Russia will say “forget about us invading Ukraine and killing 10k soldiers, give us sanctions relief” https://t.co/eWZ4RpFIBN”

www.theguardian.com

Coronavirus: Russia sends plane full of medical supplies to US

Critics likely to claim Moscow will exploit goodwill gesture as public relations coup

Russia has dispatched a cargo plane with masks and medical equipment to the US after Donald Trump accepted an offer of humanitarian aid from Vladimir Putin to fight the coronavirus outbreak.
The plane, a Russian Antonov An-124-100 military transport, left from Chkalovsky airfield outside Moscow on Tuesday night and will arrive in the US on Wednesday after refuelling at Shannon airport in Ireland. Footage from the plane broadcast by Russian state television showed stacks of cardboard boxes in the cargo hold.
The delivery is likely to stir controversy among critics of Trump, who have said Putin will portray the goodwill gesture as a public relations coup and use it to bolster Russia's efforts to escape sanctions for meddling in the 2016 US elections.
Masks and other medical equipment are also in short supply in Russia, where the number of infected with coronavirus rose by 440 on Wednesday to a confirmed 2,777 cases. The Moscow mayor, Sergei Sobyanin, warned Putin last week that the official tally of cases underestimated the severity of the outbreak.
------------------------
In an apparent error, Trump on Monday said the aid had already arrived from Russia, telling reporters in the White House Rose Garden: "Russia sent us a very, very large planeload of things, medical equipment, which was very nice." It was the first mention of aid from Moscow.
Later, the Kremlin announced that Putin had offered Trump the aid during a one-on-one telephone conversation when the two sides discussed measures to fight coronavirus.
"Trump gratefully accepted this humanitarian aid," Putin spokesman Dmitri Peskov told reporters. "Now that this situation has affected everyone without exception and is global, there is no alternative to joint action in the spirit of partnership and mutual help."
------------------------
Russia has already sent planeloads of masks and other medical aid to Italy, deploying medics in military vehicles labelled: "From Russia with Love." Russia's military said the aid included 22 vehicles and mobile disinfection labs. Italian officials publicly thanked Russia for the aid. A widely circulated report in the La Stampa newspaper cited senior officials calling the aid 80% "useless".

Finally, assistance from the head of the US government.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
"Walmart is very excited to get a huge government order."
Yeah no shit

Still going close to 40min mostly about drugs at a corona virus presser

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

twitter.com

David Nakamura on Twitter

“Trump says his relationship with Xi is "very good." Trump adds: "As to whether or not their numbers are accurate, I'm not an accountant from China...We don't have to make a big deal out of it."”

twitter.com

“Trump said previously he called it "Chinese virus" b/c Beijing had falsely blamed U.S. military for spreading coronavirus. Today he says it was a "mid-level person saying that. ... I'll always assume the best. I'll assume the high-level people didn't know about it."”

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

Trump: "I have hundreds of millions of people. Number one on Facebook...did you know?...I just found out." (He's never explained what "#1" means; he's not most-followed.)

Shortly before that comment, CNN cut away from live-airing this not-coronavirus-so-far Trump session.

Bragging about social media numbers during a pandemic

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Edit: Posted above.

twitter.com

Josh Dawsey on Twitter

“"Did you know I was number one on Facebook?" Trump says, to journalists during the coronavirus briefing. Says he just found out and it was "very nice."”

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Rarely pop in this thread due to work ramping up so hard.
It's fucking weird to keep seeing the campaign be brought up. That's not at all what the hundreds of clients I've talk to in the past week and a half are talking about. It's just the way the virus is affecting the market and literally nothing else.

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017

Any chance they realize they did this, or did some Dem senator/rep (BERNIE MAYBE!?) slip this in?

Perhaps time to bring back FLANKED FROM THE LEFT again?

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

twitter.com

“Trump says his relationship with Xi is "very good." Trump adds: "As to whether or not their numbers are accurate, I'm not an accountant from China...We don't have to make a big deal out of it."”

twitter.com

“Trump said previously he called it "Chinese virus" b/c Beijing had falsely blamed U.S. military for spreading coronavirus. Today he says it was a "mid-level person saying that. ... I'll always assume the best. I'll assume the high-level people didn't know about it."”

so much bs. need a ad on fox juxtapositioning this shit.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
If I drop out, it would be unfair to the people who want to vote for me. Stellar reasoning.
Any second now he'll start winning states by a larger margin than any of the states he's won so far.

Aaaany second.

And look, I'd fucking love it if that happened so we aren't stuck with the person facing a credible rape allegation, but it'd be crazier than anything happening right now if that shit happened.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

Any chance they realize they did this, or did some Dem senator/rep (BERNIE MAYBE!?) slip this in?

Perhaps time to bring back FLANKED FROM THE LEFT again?

Doesn't work with my business. 2.5x payroll with a mandate that you keep payroll means only .5x payroll for other expenses if this lasts two months. Our small business' rent alone for two months is 2.5x payroll. We're getting zero revenue and have no real knowledge of when we could be back.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
I think he said Xi told him. There is actually evidence since then that it prefers a certain climate, but we're not there yet in early April, and it won't help the NW and NE for long.

That went out the window when the infections began to spread earnestly in Florida and other warmer countries. SE Florida had a LOW of 72 degree Fahrenheit for the entire week I was there back in January.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I think he said Xi told him. There is actually evidence since then that it prefers a certain climate, but we're not there yet in early April, and it won't help the NW and NE for long.
Iran hit 36 deaths per million faster than the UK. It looks like it may have leveled off there, but it's still bad, and it was 80+ there today.

'Prefers' looks like it might mean hundreds dead a day vs thousands. Which is *good* don't get me wrong, but it's not what Trump was predicting at all.

Oct 27, 2017
For those not watching, Trump is suggesting that there should be a return to corporations being able to make restaurant dining expenses tax-deductible, so that restaurants would open back up very quickly.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Restaurants salivating to get rich off the tax write offs for executive lunches.
All the executives going out. In large groups. To restaurants that are currently catering to groups of dine in clients right now.
That'll save the market

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
Any second now he'll start winning states by a larger margin than any of the states he's won so far.

Aaaany second.

And look, I'd fucking love it if that happened so we aren't stuck with the person facing a credible rape allegation, but it'd be crazier than anything happening right now if that shit happened.
It's really a terrible interview. He didn't put forward a single practical reason for staying in a race he CANNOT win. M4A isn't a realistic ask, maybe push Joe on justice reform or a cabinet appointment and call it a fucking day. Why drag it out?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
That went out the window when the infections began to spread earnestly in Florida and other warmer countries. SE Florida had a LOW of 72 degree Fahrenheit for the entire week I was there back in January.
Iran hit 36 deaths per million faster than the UK. It looks like it may have leveled off there, but it's still bad, and it was 80+ there today.

'Prefers' looks like it might mean hundreds dead a day vs thousands. Which is *good* don't get me wrong, but it's not what Trump was predicting at all.
Nobody is saying warm weather stops it, except Trump who said it would be "weaker and then gone". Iran is not very warm in February and March. It's not conclusive research yet, and it may not help the NE or NW much anyway.

When comparing countries you also have to take into account what if any testing or containment measures were taken, how many spreaders came from outside the country, etc.

papers.ssrn.com

Will Coronavirus Pandemic Diminish by Summer?

The novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has spread rapidly to multiple countries and has been declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization. While influenza vi

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
Doesn't work with my business. 2.5x payroll with a mandate that you keep payroll means only .5x payroll for other expenses if this lasts two months. Our small business' rent alone for two months is 2.5x payroll. We're getting zero revenue and have no real knowledge of when we could be back.

Yeah looks like 25% can go to rent. Anything over that is a very cheap loan with no payments for 6 months, maturity of 2 years. I don't think this solves everything as no one policy would, but seems like it should help various non-restaurant outfits a good amount. Rent in general will need a separate policy.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
It seems like a lifetime ago (yesterday) when CA hit 8,000 cases.

We're on track to have 10,000 by the end of the day.
I don't really understand the focus on case count. We know there's a lot of people with the virus. Way more than tested. It's not surprising they keep going up as more tests come back.

Focus more on hospitalizations and deaths. Both are metrics that California is doing very well at keeping at a manageable level, especially given the amount of people living here. We're doing a good job so far and there isn't any other state I'd rather be living in right now during this crisis.

Oct 25, 2017
My mom was approved for $364 UI with TX. Does anyone know how the federal UI payments work and when they're scheduled to go into effect?

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Nobody is saying warm weather stops it, except Trump who said it would be "weaker and then gone". Iran is not very warm in February and March. It's not conclusive research yet, and it may not help the NE or NW much anyway.

When comparing countries you also have to take into account what if any testing or containment measures were taken, how many spreaders came from outside the country, etc.

papers.ssrn.com

Will Coronavirus Pandemic Diminish by Summer?

The novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has spread rapidly to multiple countries and has been declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization. While influenza vi

I rely on the number of fatalities to try and account for differences in testing. It's not completely scientific, but it's safer to presume hospitalized patients and fatalities aren't being under counted anything like what will happen with positive cases. Testing has been crap in the UK compared to other places, and again, Iran hit 36 deaths per million faster than they did. The response in the UK until about a week and a half ago, was next to nothing.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah looks like 25% can go to rent. Anything over that is a very cheap loan with no payments for 6 months, maturity of 2 years. I don't think this solves everything as no one policy would, but seems like it should help various non-restaurant outfits a good amount. Rent in general will need a separate policy.
The small business stuff is basically a pass through to try and stop the bleeding on unemployment. Which as a liberal is fine. It's kinda crazy that got through, but nothing short of some free money will bring some businesses back. Small businesses aren't sitting around on a mountain of cash. In particular the business I was involved with relies on getting bigger groups of people together so honestly we have no idea if we can even exist at all until a vaccine is found.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

twitter.com

Maggie Haberman on Twitter

“Cannot follow this response Trump is giving to @johnrobertsFox about those who don’t qualify for Medicare and don’t have private insurance. Trump doesn’t answer what will happen to them, then suggests his opponents won’t have an answer either.”

twitter.com

Eli Stokols on Twitter

“Oh, wow -- Trump just throws Pence under the bus for giving a 5-minute non-answer, calls him a "professional" but tells @johnrobertsFox "it's a fair question" and he's going to be "looking at it. https://t.co/5slETEqGAU”

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Focus more on hospitalizations and deaths. Both are metrics that California is doing very well at keeping at a manageable level, especially given the amount of people living here. We're doing a good job so far and there isn't any other state I'd rather be living in right now during this crisis.
This week we have over 5,000 people hospitalized with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 (we can't even get tests for half the people we have in the hospital right now), with more than 1,200 in ICU.

Yes, we're doing better than states that aren't taking measures or have less resources, but the picture on the ground is not good. Not as bad as it could be, certainly, but not good.

The rapid growth in positive count (especially when it's not matched by growth in testing) is just a stark way to really show the acceleration of the epidemic. It took us 17 days to find the first 1,000 cases. 4 to find the next 1,000, 4 to find the next 2,000, 4 to find the next 4,000. And now we've got 1 day for 2,000 cases.

Exponential growth is real, and we're not showing any signs yet of slowing.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
My mom was approved for $364 UI with TX. Does anyone know how the federal UI payments work and when they're scheduled to go into effect?

I'm hoping somebody who knows with more certainty than me jumps in to answer, but my understanding is the $600 will be on top of that, and last for up to 4 months. As for when it starts, someone on a different thread suggested it would be rolled out starting around April 5th.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

twitter.com

Kelly O'Donnell on Twitter

“"Oh absolutely, I would love to speak to him. I always found him to be a nice guy" The president asked about possibility of speaking with @JoeBiden Meanwhile, the president has not spoken to @SpeakerPelosi for several months.”

twitter.com

Josh Dawsey on Twitter

“As a reporter seeks to ask a question about Joe Biden, Trump interrupts to say "Sleepy Joe" and asks if Biden wrote his statement or a PR person. "Oh absolutely. I'd love to speak to him," Trump says of Biden offering to talk to Trump. "... You can tell him."”

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
This week we have over 5,000 people hospitalized with confirmed or suspected COVID-19, with more than 1,200 in ICU.

Yes, we're doing better than states that aren't taking measures or have less resources, but the picture on the ground is not good. Not as bad as it could be, certainly, but not good.

The rapid growth in positive count (especially when it's not matched by growth in testing) is just a stark way to really show the acceleration of the epidemic. It took us 17 days to find the first 1,000 cases. 4 to find the next 1,000, 4 to find the next 2,000, 4 to find the next 4,000. And now we've got 1 day for 2,000 cases.

Exponential growth is real, and we're not showing any signs yet of slowing.
Very recent indications show things starting to potentially slow in NorCal because of how early many communities started social distancing and staying/working at home. Social distancing will work to flatten the curve and we're a good amount of days into it.

Each day that goes by without some drastic NY-level situation is another day we get to add capacity and prepare. That our hospital load is so manageable this many days after Newsom's statewide stay home order is a good sign to me, but what do I know.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

twitter.com

Geoff Bennett on Twitter

“Reporter asks Trump a question about reports of increased domestic violence. Trump: Mexican violence? Reporter: Domestic violence. Trump: Oh.”

twitter.com

Kelly O'Donnell on Twitter

“"Its another cost of not getting our country working...some people are getting along great,. families are coming together" The president responds to question about rise in domestic violence during this social distancing.”

Status
Not open for further replies.