• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I guess certain folks just want leaders to act in ways they identify with, actual policy results be damned. Such a viewpoint reeks of privilege tbqh.

I'm sure the fact she's a woman doesn't help.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Pelosi should have rammed her uncompromised bill through the House and dare Turtle and Trump to veto it.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I guess certain folks just want leaders to act in ways they identify with, actual policy results be damned. Such a viewpoint reeks of privilege tbqh.

I'm sure the fact she's a woman doesn't help.
I think a lot live in a Twitter bubble and don't realize that democrats don't have the leverage or messaging power they think they do.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Pelosi should have rammed her uncompromised bill through the House and dare Turtle and Trump to veto it.
And then the republicans would have got out and pointed to zero Republican votes and said that Pelosi was playing politics with a tragedy and not negotiating at all. They'd say it was a partisan bill. And republicans own the biggest messaging power so it largely would have worked.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot live in a Twitter bubble and don't realize that democrats don't have the leverage or messaging power they think they do.
I feel like as things get worse and the scope of how bad things are becomes clearer to the public, there will be a good chance at a second bill next week that gives emergency sick time to everyone. Democratic leverage is growing.

Oct 27, 2017
"Normally" you can get away with a dissent-type vote like that when you know it will pass with an overwhelming majority, where it doesn't go far enough to address some particular thing. Congresspeople do it all the time, when they want people to know what is deficient about a bill. Why wasn't Amash's vote the one that immediately communicated to everyone via Twitter that a technical correction was needed? Yeah.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like as things get worse and the scope of how bad things are becomes clearer to the public, there will be a good chance at a second bill next week that gives emergency sick time to everyone. Democratic leverage is growing.
Right. And they have more leverage after working with the administration and largely leading with this. They'll be seen as negotiating more in full faith because of it.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Of course a hashtag about Biden is trending today it never fails.

FeCRc55.png

Checks out.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Politics Twitter is such a small, malignant group of people that I really have stopped caring about that platform.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

DocumentCloud

www.nbcnews.com

Sixty percent believe worst is yet to come for the U.S. in coronavirus pandemic

Public attitudes about the coronavirus response are split along partisan lines in a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll.
WASHINGTON — A majority of American voters say they're worried that someone in their immediate family might catch the coronavirus, and six-in-10 believe the worst is yet to come for the outbreak inside the United States, a new national NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll finds.
In addition, more than 40 percent say their day-to-day lives will change as a result of the pandemic.
But public attitudes about the coronavirus — including President Donald Trump's handling of it — are starkly divided along partisan lines, with nearly nine-in-10 Republican voters having confidence in Trump dealing with the outbreak, compared with just a sliver of Democrats who agree.
Indeed, 45 percent of all voters approve of Trump's handling of the issue, which is almost identical to his overall job rating in the poll.
-------------------------------------------------------
The NBC News/WSJ poll was conducted March 11-13, and it comes as there have now been 2,600 confirmed coronavirus cases in the United States, as well as 58 deaths from it in the country.
In the poll, a whopping 99 percent of respondents say they've seen, heard or read about the spread of the coronavirus, including 89 percent who say they've heard "a lot" about the story — the highest percentage the NBC News/WSJ poll has registered for a major event going back to 2009.
A combined 53 percent say they're either "very" or "somewhat" worried that someone in their immediate family might catch the coronavirus, while a combined 47 percent say that they aren't too worried or worried at all.
Forty-one percent of voters believe their day-to-day lives will change in a major way in the future, versus a combined 56 percent — a majority — who say their lives will change only in a "small way" or won't change at all.
And 60 percent think that the worst is yet to come, while 31 percent say the coronavirus is not likely to be a major problem.
But a glaring partisan divide exists within these numbers.
The same partisan divide also underscores perceptions of President Trump.
In the poll, 45 percent approve of the president's handling of the coronavirus, while 51 percent disapprove.
But Democrats and Republicans have completely opposite views: 81 percent of Republican voters approve of Trump's handling of the issue, while 84 percent of Democrats disapprove.
Independents are split: 43 percent approve, 52 percent disapprove.
Trump's overall job performance — 46 percent approve, 51 percent disapprove — is essentially unchanged from last month's poll, as well as the NBC News/WSJ surveys over the last two years.
Yet voters have more confidence in their state and local governments than they do in President Trump.
A combined 75 percent of all voters say they have a "great deal" or a "fair amount" of confidence in their state government to deal with the outbreak.
A combined 72 percent say the same of their local government, and 62 percent say it for the federal government.
But just 48 percent say they have confidence in Trump, with Republican respondents having high confidence (89 percent), and with Democrats having very little (15 percent).
Finally, when it comes to an economy that has seen steep drops and then a big upswing Friday in the financial markets, 47 percent of all voters describe the economy as either excellent or good — down 6 points from a December 2019 CNBC survey conducted by the same polling firms.
That's compared with 52 percent who rate it as either fair or poor — up 8 points from the December CNBC poll.
And 34 percent think the economy will get better in the next year, while 31 percent think it will get worse and another 31 percent say it will stay about the same.
In December, 30 percent said the economy will get better; 24 percent said it would get worse; and 35 percent said it would stay the same.
"There has definitely been a slight tick down," said Republican pollster Micah Roberts of Public Opinion Strategies.
But he adds that the coronavirus news — as it relates to the economy — "has not landed a knockdown punch."

0n0nvN9.png

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
There are pro-Bolsonaro demonstrations taking the streets today, and what does that fucking asshole do? He's RTing videos from his supporters on the ground in the middle of a pandemic. Most of the dumbshits that take part in these demonstrations are old too. Jesus fucking christ, he's so much worse than Trump you guys really have no idea.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I'm good with those poll numbers. As long as Bernie doesn't try tanking Biden tonight with stupidity, he's in a good spot.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, it was MY fault I misinterpreted that statement where the president said it would apply to trade and cargo as actually applying to trade and cargo.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ideal world, only win one state out of four. I mean, that's probably the most realistic take of an ideal.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Sanders will WINNNNN the debate that no one is watching or cares about and then he will WINNNNNNN!!! a state he is trailing by 15+ points. I will grow wings and fly to ShopRite, which is fully stocked, and the sun will shine and the flood waters will recede and everyone will be friendly and the sick will be healed~

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

DocumentCloud

www.nbcnews.com

Sixty percent believe worst is yet to come for the U.S. in coronavirus pandemic

Public attitudes about the coronavirus response are split along partisan lines in a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll.
WASHINGTON — A majority of American voters say they're worried that someone in their immediate family might catch the coronavirus, and six-in-10 believe the worst is yet to come for the outbreak inside the United States, a new national NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll finds.
In addition, more than 40 percent say their day-to-day lives will change as a result of the pandemic.
But public attitudes about the coronavirus — including President Donald Trump's handling of it — are starkly divided along partisan lines, with nearly nine-in-10 Republican voters having confidence in Trump dealing with the outbreak, compared with just a sliver of Democrats who agree.
Indeed, 45 percent of all voters approve of Trump's handling of the issue, which is almost identical to his overall job rating in the poll.
The NBC News/WSJ poll was conducted March 11-13, and it comes as there have now been 2,600 confirmed coronavirus cases in the United States, as well as 58 deaths from it in the country.
In the poll, a whopping 99 percent of respondents say they've seen, heard or read about the spread of the coronavirus, including 89 percent who say they've heard "a lot" about the story — the highest percentage the NBC News/WSJ poll has registered for a major event going back to 2009.
A combined 53 percent say they're either "very" or "somewhat" worried that someone in their immediate family might catch the coronavirus, while a combined 47 percent say that they aren't too worried or worried at all.
Forty-one percent of voters believe their day-to-day lives will change in a major way in the future, versus a combined 56 percent — a majority — who say their lives will change only in a "small way" or won't change at all.
And 60 percent think that the worst is yet to come, while 31 percent say the coronavirus is not likely to be a major problem.
But a glaring partisan divide exists within these numbers.
The same partisan divide also underscores perceptions of President Trump.
In the poll, 45 percent approve of the president's handling of the coronavirus, while 51 percent disapprove.
But Democrats and Republicans have completely opposite views: 81 percent of Republican voters approve of Trump's handling of the issue, while 84 percent of Democrats disapprove.
Independents are split: 43 percent approve, 52 percent disapprove.
Trump's overall job performance — 46 percent approve, 51 percent disapprove — is essentially unchanged from last month's poll, as well as the NBC News/WSJ surveys over the last two years.
Yet voters have more confidence in their state and local governments than they do in President Trump.
A combined 75 percent of all voters say they have a "great deal" or a "fair amount" of confidence in their state government to deal with the outbreak.
A combined 72 percent say the same of their local government, and 62 percent say it for the federal government.
But just 48 percent say they have confidence in Trump, with Republican respondents having high confidence (89 percent), and with Democrats having very little (15 percent).
Finally, when it comes to an economy that has seen steep drops and then a big upswing Friday in the financial markets, 47 percent of all voters describe the economy as either excellent or good — down 6 points from a December 2019 CNBC survey conducted by the same polling firms.
That's compared with 52 percent who rate it as either fair or poor — up 8 points from the December CNBC poll.
And 34 percent think the economy will get better in the next year, while 31 percent think it will get worse and another 31 percent say it will stay about the same.
In December, 30 percent said the economy will get better; 24 percent said it would get worse; and 35 percent said it would stay the same.
"There has definitely been a slight tick down," said Republican pollster Micah Roberts of Public Opinion Strategies.
But he adds that the coronavirus news — as it relates to the economy — "has not landed a knockdown punch."

0n0nvN9.png

A lot of people are going to be in for a very rude awakening... Unfortunately it will come at great cost...

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Since more people have more reason to stay home, I think more people may end up watching the debate out of boredom. Not that it should matter. Might be a snoozefest.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Biden will do much better in a two person debate stage where he likely won't be rushed or pressed to get in a zinger in 30 seconds. I don't know why this implosion is being taken as a given by so many.

It's really odd, as it's not going to be an argument between the two of them. It will likely be the most boring, yet informative debate yet.

People seem to think Biden is a moron, or basically collapsing in front of us.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
It's really odd, as it's not going to be an argument between the two of them. It will likely be the most boring, yet informative debate yet.

People seem to think Biden is a moron, or basically collapsing in front of us.

Even if it were an argument, I know people believe Biden's brain has melted into a puddle but both of his iconic, all time debate performances were in one v. one settings.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
And then the republicans would have got out and pointed to zero Republican votes and said that Pelosi was playing politics with a tragedy and not negotiating at all. They'd say it was a partisan bill. And republicans own the biggest messaging power so it largely would have worked.
McConnell already did this a few days ago too, when he said the first bill was a no go because it was filled with "ideological goodies"

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017

Coming from the campaign that thought they could win with 30% of the vote, I guess your best scenario of being blown out, rather then completely blown the fuck out makes sense.

I'm guessing the plan for the debate tonight is stump speach and hope Biden's brain melts and drips out of his ear?

Status
Not open for further replies.