• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Basically the judicial branch is gone bar expanding it for the next 20 years because people didnt like Hillary. Got it.
Tbf expanding the lower courts is (relatively) easy. HW did it. There's already a proposal in the Senate to do it, though I believe it requires House approval, which will only happen under unity government.

Expanding the Supreme Court would have way more visibility as an obvious partisan grab, so I can't see Biden doing it (although, he would be the mot obvious candidate to beat the "Garland deserved a vote" drum), but only the most hardcore political junkies would give a shit about there being more circuit court judges or whatever. Helps that it's probably just a good idea in general, setting aside whatever partisan advantage there is.

Oct 25, 2017
The NYC schools situation is super rough. They gotta announce a grab n go breakfast/lunches system for students. I imagine many kids are homeless and don't have anywhere to be during the day as well.

Shitty situation all around.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused, am I supposed to be surprised that nearly every video conferencing solution available is a clusterfuck?
Trump doing catastrophic damage to the country through incompetence and callousness is brushed over and ignored in their headline, while Biden's team...having trouble with a video conferencing software is given a negative headline.
Complete and open bias.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
Trump doing catastrophic damage to the country through incompetence and callousness is brushed over and ignored in their headline, while Biden's team...having trouble with a video conferencing software is given a negative headline.
Complete and open bias.

If it makes you feel better nobody is paying any attention.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
ETEw02-WkAAxnRt

OP
OP
Ogodei

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

yeah that's the thing. The negative stories about Biden are out there but nobody seems to give a damn. Polarization is at the point where it's priced in and we would have to see some real badness from Biden or his campaign for it to gain traction.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Yeah, I feel like it's going to be harder for the media to run interference for Trump this time. Call me optimistic, but Trump is President now. His buffoonery won't be able to safely disappear into the background while the media never shuts up about Hillary's "scandals" like what happened in 2016. Trump's actions and words have tangible consequences, and people will (hopefully) still prioritize ending that above all else.

If anything, I think the GOP's biggest strategic blunder came from Biden's decline in the polls forcing them to change gears. The Burisma stuff was actually doing a number on his approval ratings, but now, who gives a shit? If Trump and the GOP tries to bring it back as an issue now, it'll look painfully obvious they don't care and are just wanting to score political points, especially now where any politician worth their salt needs to be talking coronavirus and nothing else.

If they wanted to emails Biden into oblivion, they needed to keep beating the Burisma drum from the minute it cropped up. It was already a harder sell for them since Trump was also implicated in some of the details, and also Biden has a ding-dong. We're already seeing this, Trump isn't attacking Biden on any of that stuff anymore, it's all just low energy this, Sleepy Biden that, rotting corpse what the actual fuck?

Which, gotta say, if the energy levels for the candidates match Trump's Wednesday address and Biden's Thursday one throughout the campaign, the "Sleepy Joe" attacks are going to look stupid as hell as soon as the candidates share the same state. Trump will be his usual exhausted, coke-addled hot mess that even Biden as his most boringest will seem like a 12-year-old hopped up on Mountain Dew by comparison. Any attempt by the Trump campaign from then on to act like Biden is the less energetic one will look sad and pathetic to anyone with a functioning brain.

Last edited:

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I feel like it's going to be harder for the media to run interference for Trump this time. Call me optimistic, but Trump is President now. His buffoonery won't be able to safely disappear into the background while the media never shuts up about Hillary's "scandals" like what happened in 2016. Trump's actions and words have tangible consequences, and people will (hopefully) still prioritize ending that above all else.

If anything, I think the GOP's biggest strategic blunder came from Biden's decline in the polls forcing them to change gears. The Burisma stuff was actually doing a number on his approval ratings, but now, who gives a shit? If Trump and the GOP tries to bring it back as an issue now, it'll look painfully obvious they don't care and are just wanting to score political points, especially now where any politician worth their salt needs to be talking coronavirus and nothing else.

If they wanted to emails Biden into oblivion, they needed to keep beating the Burisma drum from the minute it cropped up. It was already a harder sell for them since Trump was also implicated in some of the details, and also Biden has a ding-dong. We're already seeing this, Trump isn't attacking Biden on any of that stuff anymore, it's all just low energy this, Sleepy Biden that, rotting corpse what the actual fuck?

Which, gotta say, if the energy levels for the candidates match Trump's Wednesday address and Biden's Thursday one throughout the campaign, the "Sleepy Joe" attacks are going to look stupid as hell as soon as the candidates share the same state. Trump will be his usual exhausted, coke-addled hot mess that even Biden as his most boringest will seem like a 12-year-old hopped up on Mountain Dew by comparison. Any attempt by the Trump campaign from then on to act like Biden is the less energetic one will look sad and pathetic to anyone with a functioning brain.

And to think, they wanted this to be all "hush hush" till the GE where it would've been more effective until they got caught. Now it's just damaged goods.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
yeah that's the thing. The negative stories about Biden are out there but nobody seems to give a damn. Polarization is at the point where it's priced in and we would have to see some real badness from Biden or his campaign for it to gain traction.

It's because Joe Biden has always been known as a decent, if not goofy, politician, regardless of whether or not that perception is true. So attacks on his character that go counter to that perception aren't as effective as the shit that came out against Hillary, for example, because that confirmed all of the prejudices people held against her (corrupt, shady, ambitious, etc.). That's the result of misogyny, but also of the fact that Biden simply hasn't taken much fire from the right wing media machine in the last 30 years.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
I dumped NYT subscription after the last general and they reinforced my good decision on a monthly basis since then. Such a shit run paper

konka

Oct 25, 2017
It's because Joe Biden has always been known as a decent, if not goofy, politician, regardless of whether or not that perception is true. So attacks on his character that go counter to that perception aren't as effective as the shit that came out against Hillary, for example, because that confirmed all of the prejudices people held against her (corrupt, shady, ambitious, etc.). That's the result of misogyny, but also of the fact that Biden simply hasn't taken much fire from the right wing media machine in the last 30 years.

I mean, people really talked down Biden's relationship with a bunch of GOP politicians, but it's probably going to be harder for them to go at him like they did Hillary because they actually hated Hillary and many of them actually like Biden.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

It's pretty astounding they let it get to this with the president and VP. No regard for national security. Should have been checking and rechecking both of them and anyone around them from the beginning.

Edit: I think I read it wrong and assumed they were worried Trump was giving it out but it might be the reverse. He was afraid someone would purposefully try to give it to him, so this is probably put in place for him. Dumb he's still shaking hands..

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
www.newsweek.com

Joe Biden Leads By Double-Digits In Florida, Ohio and Illinois: Polls

The former vice president boasted his biggest lead over the senator in Florida, where 65 percent of likely primary voters backed him.

The three polls also found more voters were either undecided, or willing to vote for someone no longer in the race, than there were people intending to vote for Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI), who remains the last female candidate in the race for the democratic nomination in July.
@Tamanon Tulsi is losing working class undecideds

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
www.newsweek.com

Joe Biden Leads By Double-Digits In Florida, Ohio and Illinois: Polls

The former vice president boasted his biggest lead over the senator in Florida, where 65 percent of likely primary voters backed him.

@Tamanon Tulsi is losing working class undecideds
Wanting to put together a chart of the candidates' positions per Wikipedia (to counter that one going around where "not agreeing with Bernie's position on an issue 100%" is boiled down to "No" so it looks like Biden is bad on everything) and I couldn't help but notice Gabbard didn't sign the unity pledge that all the other candidates did (except Deval Patrick who endorsed Biden anyway).

Third party Tulsi run is the most painfully fucking obvious thing in the world, and I hope it somehow manages to go worse than her current presidential run. Can't wait to read all the hot takes about how Hillary egged her on, and she wouldn't have done it if Hillary hadn't called her out on what anyone with eyes could already see.

What are the chances of the AZ state legislature or governor flipping if, say, Biden has a blowout?
Actually pretty good! The Arizona House is two seats away from flipping and the Senate just three seats away. Unlike in some states, every seat in both chambers are up every two years, so Democrats will have a crack at everything.

Of the legislatures that could flip, Minnesota Senate is kind of a gimme, but everything after is a bit more challenging thanks to gerrymandering (but not always). Michigan House, Iowa House, Texas House and both chambers in Pennsylvania, North Carolina in addition to Arizona are all reasonable opportunities.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Wanting to put together a chart of the candidates' positions per Wikipedia (to counter that one going around where "not agreeing with Bernie's position on an issue 100%" is boiled down to "No" so it looks like Biden is bad on everything) and I couldn't help but notice Gabbard didn't sign the unity pledge that all the other candidates did (except Deval Patrick who endorsed Biden anyway).

Third party Tulsi run is the most painfully fucking obvious thing in the world, and I hope it somehow manages to go worse than her current presidential run. Can't wait to read all the hot takes about how Hillary egged her on, and she wouldn't have done it if Hillary hadn't called her out on what anyone with eyes could already see.

Actually pretty good! The Arizona House is two seats away from flipping and the Senate just three seats away. Unlike in some states, every seat in both chambers are up every two years, so Democrats will have a crack at everything.

Of the legislatures that could flip, Minnesota Senate is kind of a gimme, but everything after is a bit more challenging thanks to gerrymandering (but not always). Michigan House, Iowa House, Texas House and both chambers in Pennsylvania, North Carolina in addition to Arizona are all reasonable opportunities.
She would only pull people from the party she is, which is GOP. The way Tulsi is performing I have no fear of her running as a 3rd party, she's awful, useless, and thoroughly unliked

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Why the hell is he more worried about the stock market than the mitigation of this virus.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
President Trump literally just suggested it would be a good idea if SOCIETY perhaps considered stopping handshakes forever.

he did this after explaining he ONLY shook hands since becoming president. And the only reason he even spoke was because he couldn't stand the idea of Pence getting any glory.

then an NBC reporter put a suggestion in Trump's brain that the fed chairman is making him look like a bitch and maybe he could fire him.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

For the state legislature? A very good chance at that point.
That's got me excited. It will be nice to live in a state with a blue(ish) government.
We can flip the legislature. The governor won't be up for reelection until 2022.
Forgot that his election was just a few years ago. Too bad 2022 will probably be a red wave just like 2010 unless we're lucky.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Literally any instance that required a health update from Trump was full of vague info that didn't really clarify anything at all or called him the healthiest ever. I assume after the results he's going to state that he's the most immune president ever.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why the hell is he more worried about the stock market than the mitigation of this virus.

his entire "list" of successes and therefore presidency and reelection is premised in the idea that he's been good for the stock market. Every other metric is fuckery. This last week he reminded the market that he has no direct responsibility for a record bull market and on the contrary through his ingrained incompetence is the greatest risk to American fiscal success.

The market pulled itself back from the teetering brink of death back to mere toxic shock and an intubated coma. The market knows that even this level of precarious hope can be undone by Trump's refusal to speak about facts or plans that do not directly benefit him - and that his ego and lack of even baseline intellectual rigor - prevent him from even reading a teleprompter properly- and indeed he refuses to correct misstatements abd doubles down on what are obviously verbal gaffes.

He just congratulated himself on stuffing a temporary gob of balled up tissue into an open shotgun wound and claimed it was a record success that he blasted the country in the torso with a shotgun and then stuffed toilet paper in the hole. He said, "maybe I should do this every day- five times a day!"

* "this" being artificial triage of the stock market rather than sensible addressing of the pandemic.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Because his own wealth depends more on one than the other?
I think it's more about his ego. I doubt his stock holdings are really that considerable (he certainly doesn't seem the type to invest—he's a scam artist).

But bad markets make him look bad to the rich people, and looking bad to the rich people means he's not as good as the rich people, and being not as good as the rich people means he's worthless.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally any instance that required a health update from Trump was full of vague info that didn't really clarify anything at all or called him the healthiest ever. I assume after the results he's going to state that he's the most immune president ever.

i was certain he was going to say it was ok for him to shake hands because of a preternatural immunity to disease that meant he couldn't even transmit it.

If Trump tests positive he will suppress that information and continue to infect his lickspittles.

Oct 25, 2017

This is interesting (and probably bad!) because they're basically expecting that people won't be able to change their behaviors for a long period of time. Which I assume is what's likely to happen in America as well lol. I just can't see Americans staying indoors for multiple weeks much less months.

Restaurants and bars were packed last night.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
i was certain he was going to say it was ok for him to shake hands because of a preternatural immunity to disease that meant he couldn't even transmit it.

If Trump tests positive he will suppress that information and continue to infect his lickspittles.
Oh yeah he def will try to suppress it. But there's no way he can hide it when he's not shown on tv etc. everyone will know.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

Actually it's because you left him no choice but to touch mics by being short or something.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

This is interesting (and probably bad!) because they're basically expecting that people won't be able to change their behaviors for a long period of time. Which I assume is what's likely to happen in America as well lol. I just can't see Americans staying indoors for multiple weeks much less months.

Restaurants and bars were packed last night.

Wildest thing is Japan had confirmed reinfection, we don't actually know for sure if getting over it confers immunity yet.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
They put out that statement close to midnight last night that Trump was low risk and not being tested, and now they say today that he was tested last night.

Everything is lies, all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.