• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

The question was important, straightforward and crucial to the country's preparedness for dealing with the coronavirus crisis: Are America's hospitals equipped to treat a possible influx of patients afflicted with covid-19? Do they have enough intensive care units and enough ventilators?
And the official being questioned by Fox News anchor Martha MacCallum on Thursday night was in a position to know. After all, Seema Verma is the administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which, as its website says, "oversees one of the largest federal agencies that administers vital health care programs to over 100 million Americans." She is also on the White House coronavirus task force.
As hard as she tried, however, MacCallum could not get a straight answer.
"We've heard there's a shortage of ventilators, even swabs," the host said on "The Story with Martha MacCallum." "What's being done about that and how concerned are you that when these numbers [of patients] do start to rise …. that there'll be enough ICU units, enough ventilators, to help the people who do get sick in this country?"
"Well, that's why we have an emergency preparedness system," Verma responded. "We're used to dealing with disasters … If you look at disasters that have emerged around hurricanes, in Puerto Rico, in Florida....."
MacCallum cut her off and asked: "So are you saying we do have enough?"
"One of the things we're doing at CMS is to have rapid dialogue with health care providers," said Verma. "We're meeting with providers on a daily basis … That's why we're putting out so much guidance."
With frustration showing on her face, MacCallum tried again. "Yeah. I understand that," she said. "Can I just ask you one more time, will there be enough?"
This time Verma just ignored the question, continuing her thread from her previous answer about guidance to health care providers. "Before you go into your doctor, you can call them on the phone and have a discussion with them. We don't want people to travel unnecessarily if they're not feeling well."
Verma went on before MacCallum made one more valiant attempt.
"Before I let you go I want to ask you one more time, are there going to be people in this country who don't get a ventilator when they need one?" she asked. "Can you reassure everyone out there tonight that there's not a shortage of ventilators or ICU units?"
Instead of answering the fourth iteration of MacCallum's question, Verma launched into praise for President Trump. "And that's why the president has taken such a bold and decisive action," she said. "We're not waiting for this to get worse …"
Running out of time and patience, MacCallum gave up. "Okay. That's not a direct answer to the question."

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking dingus. What good is cutting the payroll tax if people aren't working? Plus lord knows they'll probably just cut the difference out of next year's tax refunds, you know, gotta "pay for it."

They don't care if it is paid for because this money goes to SS/medicare which they want de-funded anyway

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Local Rio newspaper. Probably prudent to wait for confirmation from bigger outlets, but it's the first report.

If this is true, is this Trump's personal interaction with potentially a fourth case of a coronavirus carrier?

- The infected person at CPAC had access to Trump
- Matt Gaetz self-quarantined due to risk but was on Air Force One with Trump
- One of Bolsonaro's aides, literally a shoulder's length away from Trump, has the virus
- Bolsonaro himself, who met with Trump earlier in the week I believe

This dude is so close to getting it. He deserves it.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Trump and/or Pence already have it, I'd bet money on it.

I hate conspiracy theories and conspiratorial thinking in general, but I would not put it past this administration to try and hide Trump or Pence contracting this simply for PR reasons. If they get it that undermines a lot of the rhetoric they have been spewing to their supporters.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
A nurse just walked into work and said "it's just the flu! People are overreacting!"

Like, I get not being stressed, but we haven't seen anything yet.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
I hate conspiracy theories and conspiratorial thinking in general, but I would not put it past this administration to try and hide Trump or Pence contracting this simply for PR reasons. If they get it that undermines a lot of the rhetoric they have been spewing to their supporters.
The admin specifically said they're not testing Trump after he's been in contact with one or two people who have had it. That's its own special red flag.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA

It isn't conspiratorial thinking if you are describing long standing behavior coupled with direct evidence that they interacted with multiple people that are infected. If they aren't infected they got lucky.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017

They will only be able to hide their infections for a day or two before their condition is too dire to hide, probably, at their age

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
My worry is if Trump is infected wouldn't that make it easy to spread to like... spread from person to person until it gets to like all of congress? I don't know how many face-to-face meetings Trump is having with people who then go on to have face-to-face meetings with other important people

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
BTW, because my mind is a piece of shit that needs to be stuffed into a locker, I was imagining what would happen if Trump and Pence came down with COVID and were essentially delirious from the fever. For Trump, I think Jared & Ivanka would try to stop any invocation of the 25th and be the shadow President. If somehow it got invoked and Pence took over only to go down himself, I think the WH would hide it and the cabinet would take over rather than let Pelosi take the reins.

This has been your daily dose of sunshine.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
My worry is if Trump is infected wouldn't that make it easy to spread to like... spread from person to person until it gets to like all of congress? I don't know how many face-to-face meetings Trump is having with people who then go on to have face-to-face meetings with other important people

To be honest, community outbreak could have occurred in Congress through congressional staffers. Someone in Sen. Cantwell's office had to self-isolate earlier this week, and those folks must have had low- and mid-level meetings constantly...

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Right. They're denying that because they don't want to answer what the result was.

But if they can lie about testing, why not just lie about the result? It's all pretty baffling to me. My read is that Trump refuses to actually be tested because in his mind its still no big deal and he knows that if he did test positive, it would almost certainly leak to the press.

Oct 25, 2017
The 43% is so frustrating because if he literally had another 10% of brainwashed Americans he'd sail to re election. This is bizarre and bad.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
He's worried about his image and how it looks to have a crisis.

Not knowing that the way to actually dig himself out of this is by working together with Congress on fixes. It'd basically take the whole thing off his plate on the election, and might even improve his image.

Yep, if he had gotten ahead of this thing and worked with Nancy on real solutions months ago, the GOP wouldn't need Biden conspiracy theories, very likely the margin voters would have applauded and happily re-elected him in 2020. Even if Fox and donors would have choked on the idea of short-term funding and benfits to workers, they would all step in-line understanding how beneficial it would help for an election. Not to mention how easily they can rip it all away and then some after containment and resolve stage.

Hell, they could have marketed the shit out of his disaster response and put the fear of god into Dems to voting against any sham policy for the President that saved America similarly to how Bush forced 'Patriotism' votes on endless garbage. The country is just that stupid and gullible afterall.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

The question was important, straightforward and crucial to the country's preparedness for dealing with the coronavirus crisis: Are America's hospitals equipped to treat a possible influx of patients afflicted with covid-19? Do they have enough intensive care units and enough ventilators?
And the official being questioned by Fox News anchor Martha MacCallum on Thursday night was in a position to know. After all, Seema Verma is the administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which, as its website says, "oversees one of the largest federal agencies that administers vital health care programs to over 100 million Americans." She is also on the White House coronavirus task force.
As hard as she tried, however, MacCallum could not get a straight answer.
"We've heard there's a shortage of ventilators, even swabs," the host said on "The Story with Martha MacCallum." "What's being done about that and how concerned are you that when these numbers [of patients] do start to rise …. that there'll be enough ICU units, enough ventilators, to help the people who do get sick in this country?"
"Well, that's why we have an emergency preparedness system," Verma responded. "We're used to dealing with disasters … If you look at disasters that have emerged around hurricanes, in Puerto Rico, in Florida....."
MacCallum cut her off and asked: "So are you saying we do have enough?"
"One of the things we're doing at CMS is to have rapid dialogue with health care providers," said Verma. "We're meeting with providers on a daily basis … That's why we're putting out so much guidance."
With frustration showing on her face, MacCallum tried again. "Yeah. I understand that," she said. "Can I just ask you one more time, will there be enough?"
This time Verma just ignored the question, continuing her thread from her previous answer about guidance to health care providers. "Before you go into your doctor, you can call them on the phone and have a discussion with them. We don't want people to travel unnecessarily if they're not feeling well."
Verma went on before MacCallum made one more valiant attempt.
"Before I let you go I want to ask you one more time, are there going to be people in this country who don't get a ventilator when they need one?" she asked. "Can you reassure everyone out there tonight that there's not a shortage of ventilators or ICU units?"
Instead of answering the fourth iteration of MacCallum's question, Verma launched into praise for President Trump. "And that's why the president has taken such a bold and decisive action," she said. "We're not waiting for this to get worse …"
Running out of time and patience, MacCallum gave up. "Okay. That's not a direct answer to the question."

Fox News helping to make the crisis worse by downplaying the virus as being just the flu and MSM hype, and now they're on reduced staffing themselves and have predictably flipped the script to selling fear, their usual.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
But if they can lie about testing, why not just lie about the result? It's all pretty baffling to me. My read is that Trump refuses to actually be tested because in his mind its still no big deal and he knows that if he did test positive, it would almost certainly leak to the press.
Human psychology, I'd think: the first is the easier lie to make, and second, the media's aggressiveness on following up on the test will be much higher.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: I see I am late to the party...

Trump is all about appearances. Take one small example; Trump clearly has vision issues, anyone who's seen him give a teleprompter speech can tell he has trouble seeing at a distance with all the squinting, stammering and mistakes. There are pictures, taken on the sly, of him wearing reading glasses. He's mocked people who wear glasses. His teleprompter text size is HUGE (compare it to Obama's, even the monitor itself is bigger). Won't wear glasses in public though. And then add in shit like the spray tan, the awful hair, the inflated wealth, everything being covered in gold, etc...

I don't think it's conspiratorial thinking to think someone as obsessed with appearances as Trump, especially the appearance of strength and infallibility, will deny he's sick. I wouldn't be shocked if he's had multiple tests done and is acting more ridiculous than usual.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The 43% is so frustrating because if he literally had another 10% of brainwashed Americans he'd sail to re election. This is bizarre and bad.
Those numbers are pre coronavirus melt down.

I'm not saying numbers will move much, just that I'm not going to put much stock in any surveys done before the worst Oval office address of all time.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
I don't understand the payroll tax shit. What is he wanting the populace to do? buy stocks? It certainly isn't going towards entertainment/tourism. Won't this fuck with alot of people's tax refund amounts as well? which shouldnt matter, your money is your money whether your getting it now or after the refund, but I feel alot of people are almost hardwired at this point to expect that big check in February.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
These would be great questions to ask at the daily White House press briefing. Their answers would go a long way to keeping people informed and confident in this crises.
Oh wait.
I guessed the first one was cancelled because it might step on Trump's oval office address. But yesterdays? IDK. Simplest answer was they don't have any good answers to questions, but the Pence conspiracy is believable.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I don't understand the payroll tax shit. What is he wanting the populace to do? buy stocks? It certainly isn't going towards entertainment/tourism. Won't this fuck with alot of people's tax refund amounts as well? which shouldnt matter, your money is your money whether your getting it now or after the refund, but I feel alot of people are almost hardwired at this point to expect that big check in February.
We usually end up owing due to NONSENSE, but if my wages go up, it's all going towards paying down debts. I'm pretty sure that's what happened with Bush's stimulus crap too.

Jupiter IV

Jan 6, 2018

Don't forget that payroll tax goes towards social security and medicare. Take that as you will.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Payroll tax cuts are a literal example of robbing Peter to pay Paul. It takes money from the SS trust fund and Medicare, which is our money in the first place. Either cut every American a check with no expectation to be repaid or STFU.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
marketsbypresidentl2jxh.png

Status
Not open for further replies.