• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be kinda unfortunate when the assault weapons bill passes and the stats stay mostly the same. It'll be the right thing to do but I'm already exhausted in advance or the right wing talking points.

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017

Scoop: Trump told Republican senators in private lunch that he wants a payroll tax holiday *through the November election,* sources tell me. He doesn't want taxes to go back up before voters decide whether to return him to office. Story out soon.

giphy.gif

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
So something interesting from the D4P poll of Washington.

Bernie's at 36% "Very unfavorable" among women.
Tulsi is at 38% "Very unfavorable" among women.

In fact, Bernie is underwater with women. And I'm really not sure what's the cause of this? My best guess is residual 2016 anger and also the way he and his supporters have treated Warren. But that's my best guess.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By the time this thing is over these guys are going to make the debt 28 trillion. Bail outs for everybody!

Oct 25, 2017
Trump getting desperate means that we can fuckin' fleece him in spite of the Senate Republicans standing in the way. He's scared, so he'll lash out at whomever he thinks is hurting him. If we can strike a deal with him directly and cut out the Senate...

Fingers crossed that we can pull this off.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
  • States with a State of Emergency

New Jersey
    Ohio
    Rhode Island
    lllinois
    Oregon
    New York
    Maryland
    California
    Washington
    Pennsylvania
    Flordia
    Utah
    Kentucky
    North Carolina *Added Today*
    Colorado *Added Today*

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

In fact, Bernie is underwater with women. And I'm really not sure what's the cause of this? My best guess is residual 2016 anger and also the way he and his supporters have treated Warren. But that's my best guess.
I don't think it has much to do with his supporters. It's him. He's running a campaign based on resentment, much of it from Clinton. He attacked the first woman nominee for president well past the point where he couldn't even win. I also think women view Clinton's ultimate loss more as unfair in the sense that she was beaten by a fucking moron because voters suck and she was hit with bullshit. Sanders and his campaign comes from the view that she was bad. I think it's hard to convince a woman that the process was rigged for a woman like Sanders insists and still insists.

Sanders demeanor can also be a bit offputting for women. He yells all the time. It's a campaign of anger. Righteous anger, sure, but I think a lot of women get more annoyed knowing a woman could never get away with what he does.

Women also, like black voters, just want this shit to stop. They want Trump our first and foremost. They want unity to do that. Sanders attacks everyone, including people needed to get Trump our.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

That's why my wife hates him.

Not so much that she minds me supporting him for a few days (cause honestly, that's looking like that's all it's going to end up being... lol).

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
An actually scathing ad from Biden on Bernie's gun votes. I also did not know that Bernie was still opposed to holding gun manufacturers liable for mass shootings after Sandy Hook. Come on man! That should've been an easy layup for changing your position.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017

This whole thread on the subject (from a sanders supporter no less) is good but i'll embed some highlights:

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017

That's one take. Maybe grievance politics doesn't play as well with women.

Sorry to say it, but that gives him another commonality with Trump.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
The strategy of just not testing people to keep numbers down is unfortunately still appearing to work. They're just not going to test any of the cruise ship people, as one quick example today.

I'm not really sure why Bernie's numbers with women are lousy, but I know the reputation of online toxicity turns some people off. Some. Obviously I can't say if it's enough to actually change polling.
That's one take. Maybe grievance politics doesn't play as well with women.
Oh, this is good. Seeing old white men complain about stuff is less-than-appealing.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well I'll say that the women I know in graduate school pretty much all gravitated towards Warren over Bernie. The whole Warren Bernie spat also did not improve their perception of Bernie either. What was interesting was watching the virulent response the male Sanders supporters I know had to that whole issue.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
By the time this thing is over these guys are going to make the debt 28 trillion. Bail outs for everybody!
Just in time for democrats to AcT rEsPoNsIbLy AnD mAkE tOuGh DeCiSiOnS, like cutting the deficit in a recession.
Maybe this time they'll even get their grand bargain they wanted so much.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotal obviously, but my GF (who's just as supportive of progressive policies as I am) 100% couldn't get behind Bernie because of the apparent misogyny and toxicity that all too often seems to originate from his supporters.

I'm sure the spat between Bernie and Warren in which he implied she was a liar in front of millions of people and his supporters ran with that didn't help at all...

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just in time for democrats to AcT rEsPoNsIbLy AnD mAkE tOuGh DeCiSiOnS, like cutting the deficit in a recession.
Maybe this time they'll even get their grand bargain they wanted so much.
Except that they didn't do that? They embraced standard counter-cyclical monetary policy. Unlike much of Europe. And it's a big reason Europe's been mired in shit while the US was doing better relative to them in recovering from the recession.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
So twitter now kills hashtags when they're obviously influenced by bots right? I noticed a few disappeared on my end here.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Except that they didn't do that? They embraced standard counter-cyclical monetary policy. Unlike much of Europe. And it's a big reason Europe's been mired in shit while the US was doing better relative to them in recovering from the recession.
Obama 100% lowered the deficit in a recession, we can argue about whether or not it was a good idea, but he 100% did it, and he's proud of it too.

LEbW35c.jpg

This is many things, but it's not a countercyclical fiscal policy.

And they have tried to make much more drastic cuts, I know you are old enough to remember this -

They didn't succeed with that shit, but it was mostly because The Tea Party rebelled against Boehner.
We still all suffered from that dumb sequestration.

And by the way, I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that they will do it again this time (assuming they win), I generally don't believe in political determinism, but I think if we don't want it to happen, and the very least the base base must demand a different approach.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
TRUMP: "We're prepared and we're doing a great job with it and it will go away, just stay calm."

Such leadership. Inspiring. It will go away.

ESr0xfDUEAAsB4K

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
@rebeccaballhaus
The congressman who traveled with Trump on AF1 tested negative for Covid-19 >>
Rep. Matt Gaetz

@RepMattGaetz
I've just been informed that my COVID-19 lab result was negative.

In an abundance of caution, I will remain under self-quarantine at the advice of medical professionals through Thursday at 2pm. I continue to feel fine and show no symptoms.

15:07 - 10 Mar 2020

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Please expand on this. I agree this is just the beginning but would love to know more details.
I assume they're referring to Italy. The US wasn't doing much testing before, still isn't, and you can see Italy's daily rates here. They went from 900 to 9,000 in 10 days. Meanwhile, China and South Korea are getting it under control.

www.worldometers.info

Italy COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

Italy Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obama 100% lowered the deficit in a recession, we can argue about whether or not it was a good idea, but he 100% did it, and he's proud of it too.

LEbW35c.jpg

This is many things, but it's not a countercyclical fiscal policy.

And they have tried to make much more drastic cuts, I know you are old enough to remember this -

They didn't succeed with that shit, but it was mostly because The Tea Party rebelled against Boehner.
We still all suffered from that dumb sequestration.

And by the way, I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that they will do it again this time (assuming they win), I generally don't believe in political determinism, but I think if we don't want it to happen, and the very least the base base must demand a different approach.
We were not in a recession in Obama's second term. You don't continue all of the recession spending indefinitely, it's why it's countercyclical.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I think y'all bring up good points. I'm not a woman so I can't speak to how some women may perceive him. I know my mom and my Church Grandmas all hate him from 2016, and he's done nothing to endear himself to them.

I'm not a woman, but the thing that grates me is the whole everyone is out to get me attitude he extrudes. I'm gay. Literally a subset of people ARE constantly out to get me. But we don't get to complain about it because the moment we do, we're treated totally different from everyone else. If I complain about homophobia, I get hit with "There you go shoving your lifestyle down my throat" kind of thing. So my tolerance for bullshit is like...a two. And Bernie never goes below an eight.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hoping that most people here in MI weren't as dumb as I was and sent their ballot with a Bernie vote in weeks ago.

It would really suck if Bernie squeaked out a victory here based solely on massive early votes sent in before Super Tuesday.

Oct 25, 2017
lol these shitty dems are a hoot. Voting against the ACA then.... saying your primary opponent wants to repeal what you voted against! galaxy brain.

twitter.com

Dan Lipinski on Twitter

“The Affordable Care Act has many provisions that help working families, including coverage protections for people with pre-existing conditions. Marie Newman wants to throw that all away and switch to a government-run plan that would raise taxes on the middle class.”

Last edited:

Juna

Nov 26, 2017
The Warren thing was probably quite important. Sanders had the chance to prove his feminist credentials in practice and totally blew it.
Was it really that difficult to just say "I'm sorry Liz, something I said must have come out really wrong. Let's get together and talk it over."
Boom, the whole thing would have vanished into thin air.
Instead he had the platinum mancard standard reaction of blaming Warren. For me at least that was the moment where Sanders went into the fake ally category for good.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
I half-expected Republicans to try and delay the eventual recession until after the Democratic president is sworn in. But they can't even pull that off.

Status
Not open for further replies.