• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

The warning has to do with how the unemployment benefits are structured in the bill, according to a source with knowledge of the dispute. The dispute could delay quick passage of the bill given that they are asking for changes of a key component of bill

The senators' fear, the source says, is that some workers would see the enhanced unemployment benefits as an incentive to leave their jobs. But proponents say that the enhanced benefits are only temporary -- and do not outweigh the significant benefits people get by holding a job
Changing the unemployment benefits would create a whole new set of issues, and could divide the Senate GOP. Sens. Portman and Grassley helped negotiate this compromise. If no deal, McConnell may have to file cloture - and delay the final vote for days

GOP outflanked and outflunked themselves more like

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Imagine how disconnected from reality and privileged one must be for that to be your chief concern at this juncture. Nevermind the corporations getting another bailout after years of record profits along with the tax cuts.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Not a peep when corps were getting a shit ton of money with no oversight and clutching pearls when held up over it but God forbid people get a hookup for a bit

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017
I know I would want to give up all sense of security at my job (the little that's left) for four months of fun!

Honestly, they should be more concerned employers would use this as an excuse to "tighten their belts" and fire a bunch of people.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

AMASH says he will *not* object to a unanimous consent request if both parties support the coronavirus bill >>> https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/1242877768771256320 …

Only the Democratic Caucus and Republican Conference can decide the outcome. If they have majorities to pass it, then objecting to unanimous consent merely delays the inevitable. I won't do that. But members MUST BE REQUIRED to go on the record with how they would have voted.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
"Well it was tough work, but we finally reached an agreement that everyone can live with, now let's pass this quickly so we can prevent the economy from careening into a depression"

Three Republican senators:

giphy.gif

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I normally just lurk here but as a Missourian I realized I could've been in the darkest timeline where Greitens was still governor during this disaster and had to share my horror

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
Tbh honest we should sweeten the pot so _more_ employers consider temporary layoffs. My employer is trying to keep a bunch of nonessential people working because they know straight UI is not enough for some of their families. Al this is doing is increasing exposure risk. this might help keep more people able to stay at home until restrictions are lifted / eased.

Never mind our health insurance system is fucked and tied to employment...

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017

Public-health officials say a Trump administration policy meant to discourage immigrants from using public-health resources is deterring people from getting medical treatment... making it harder to test and treat possible cases of the new coronavirus.

*sigh*

IMPORTANT: The problem Sasse, Tim Scott and Graham have is that the UI benefits would be larger than what many low-wage workers make because of the *extra $600 per week.* They worry that would create an incentive for low-wage workers to get laid off and stay laid off.

Ah, treating the poors too well. I honestly don't see the problem since this isn't in perpetuity. Plus, you know, with the threat of economic downturn maybe you wanna get back to your job instead of letting someone else take it?

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Brian Schatz@brianschatz

Republicans right now are holding up COVID relief package because the unemployment insurance is TOO GENEROUS. I've heard zero business leaders or workers ask me to not make too much money available. My advice is: Ask anyone in your home state. They will tell you to pass the bill.​

2:19 PM - Mar 25, 2020

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Tbh honest we should sweeten the pot so _more_ employers consider temporary layoffs. My employer is trying to keep a bunch of nonessential people working because they know straight UI is not enough for some of their families. Al this is doing is increasing exposure risk. this might help keep more people able to stay at home until restrictions are lifted / eased.

Never mind our health insurance system is fucked and tied to employment...
Yeah this "not being incentivized to work" thing is such shit because no one should be incentivized to work right now, unless they can work from home or they work an (actually) essential job. Republicans wanting to open everything back up and act like we're all back to normal are going to get people fucking killed.

If Graham does succeed in blockading this I hope he gets slaughtered in the GE, however unlikely that may be. Hell, doesn't even need to be slaughtered, a 1-vote Jaime Harrison victory is good enough for me, just as long as he isn't allowed to set foot anywhere near Congress for the next six years.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Worth posting here because of the nature and all:

I couldn't listen to all of it but the bit about the sexual assault by Biden is bad and not something I saw mentioned before. I'm not too sure how to feel at this moment but it'll certainly be real ugly a few months down the line.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Giving minimum wage workers more money for a few months during a pandemic is the worst idea Lindsey Graham has ever heard.

Will cettain people ever take the hint that when someone shows you who they are you should believe them?

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it actually an extra $600 or is it up to $600 extra, to cover up to 100% of lost wages? I thought it was the latter. A flat +$600 would be pretty bizarre

Hedge

Oct 26, 2017
So we are giving billions and billions (and billions) to corporations but giving workers an extra $600 per week is where we draw the line?

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Mayor Lori Lightfoot threatened to shut down the city's parks and the entire lakefront if the city's residents don't obey Gov. J.B. Pritzker's stay at home order

Mayor Lori Lightfoot threatened to shut down the city's parks and the entire lakefront if the city's residents don't obey Gov. J.B. Pritzker's stay at home order, she said at a news conference on Wednesday afternoon.
"I personally have been concerned with what I've seen in our parks. People playing basketball," Lightfoot said. "And what I've seen on the lakefront, way too many people gathering like it's just another day. This is not another day."
www.chicagotribune.com

Coronavirus in Illinois updates: Here’s what happened March 25 with COVID-19 in the Chicago area

Here are the latest updates on the coronavirus in the Chicago area and Illinois.

Oct 25, 2017

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
Did they give anything to the cruise ship industry? That really sticks in my craw. They are already hotbeds of disease, expense, and pollution, not to mention they fly under foreign charter specifically to avoid paying US taxes. They deserve nothing.

Oct 27, 2017

People without direct deposit on file could wait up to 4 months.

Or file jointly and don't have a joint bank account, or have a new bank account, or don't have a bank account, or or or etc. And it will still take a few weeks for those who have direct deposit.

I said they were stupid to blurt out "checks" the first time they did so, because their timetable was impossible. Without enacting emergency powers to print checks now and freeze payment obligations for at least a month, this bill won't help.

Oct 27, 2017

*sigh*

Ah, treating the poors too well. I honestly don't see the problem since this isn't in perpetuity. Plus, you know, with the threat of economic downturn maybe you wanna get back to your job instead of letting someone else take it?

This was always the fear about Trump and Miller's immigration jihad: many folks won't get help if they think it might screw them later.

Miller should not escape justice--in whatever form--after Trump is kicked out of office

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I thought UI requires that it's not your fault you were fired.
Sure, but you can argue now that "my son is ill and my boss didnt take Coronoavirus seriously, would not let me call in sick". Not that anyone would do that. The point is that someone who wants to game the system will find a way. It's the same stupid racist "welfare queens" argument anyway.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I'll be brutally honest:
Thanks to the new bill, I've actually thought about getting fired laid off...somehow, just so I could collect unemployment.
I have one of those bullshit "essential" jobs (pizza delivery) that doesn't pay worth a god damn anyway. Plus I could stay home, instead of constantly putting myself and my family at risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.