• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
They need to be stopping all mortgage, rent, student loan, utility payments for a few months.Not stopping shut offs or evictions. Pausing the actual payments so people aren't dealing with mounting payments that in turn will have trouble paying off in full or at all. Even doing just two months of this would help.

But then the wealth won't trickle up while we continue to blame the working class for not working hard enough.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
More about the virus and climate.

This is partially garbage because of the extremely high correlation between the researched climate and where the actual people being tested are. This is mysteriously omitted and not mentioned even once in the article. Also, the metric of compound case growth from the 100th case onward is extremely flawed, for both testing reasons and varied levels of mitigation in every country.

We shouldn't count on climate to help determine where the next worst areas might be. At all.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
God I'm sick of people with this mentality of "we can't incentivize people to go on unemployment." People don't like being on unemployment, but when there is no other option and you're starving, we need social nets to help them out, and then also a way to get back into employment to make their situations better.

Unemployment also helps employers like my Dad who actually care about their employees. He is paying them even though they have no cash flow right now. He won't be able to do that for much longer. But he doesn't want them to have no money coming in, so unemployment insurance is the solution. Republican assholes understand this, they just don't want to help anyone.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

whats the chances of her blocking the bill

Zero. All she can do is demand that the house all show up in person to pass it, which will delay it but not stop it.

This is posturing, 100%. Pelosi is aware of what was negotiated and it was always designed to pass through the house unaltered.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The market seems to like getting a 2 trillion bailout.
TeUZG42.png

www.cnbc.com

DOW 30

The latest market data for all 30 stocks in the Dow Jones Industrial Average.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, AOC's intention with that tweet is to highlight how fucked up it is that the Senate is recessing for a month after this. That's it.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Unemployment also helps employers like my Dad who actually care about their employees. He is paying them even though they have no cash flow right now. He won't be able to do that for much longer. He doesn't want them to have no money coming in, so unemployment insurance is the solution. Republican assholes understand this, they just don't want to help anyone.
Yeah, I didn't even think about employers. It's so infuriating. I wish just once in my life the GOP would actually show how much they care about small businesses instead of just saying they do. But I'm not holding my breath.

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
Gives me hope that Biden will eventually adopt it into his platform officially, and maybe more expansive than a flat $10k.

I like his idea of forgiving $10k a year for public servants (up to five years). I think just expand that to every worker while making it conditional on meeting the minimum payments and boom, you basically have Warren's proposal, but slightly stingier in a way that most everyone would still qualify for it.

Anecdotally, Biden not having a comprehensive plan for forgiving student loan debt is the biggest sticking point I see among my millennial/Gen Z friends who were on board with Bernie or Warren but are hesitant about voting for Biden in the GE.

Currently they are completely forgiven after 10. Depending on your student loan debt, 10k a year won't truly be much of a help at all. The relief doesn't have to be a total jubilee of sorts, but I think many overlook how many are still suffering from graduating with professional and great degrees back in 08-11. Those loans are only higher now if you did ibr

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
This is partially garbage because of the extremely high correlation between the researched climate and where the actual people being tested are. This is mysteriously omitted and not mentioned even once in the article. Also, the metric of compound case growth from the 100th case onward is extremely flawed, for both testing reasons and varied levels of mitigation in every country.

We shouldn't count on climate to help determine where the next worst areas might be. At all.
Well, the death rates per capita back it up. The countries with the most deaths per capita are in that highlighted map, and the countries with the fewest deaths per capita are not.

Oct 26, 2017
They need to be stopping all mortgage, rent, student loan, utility payments for a few months.Not stopping shut offs or evictions. Pausing the actual payments so people aren't dealing with mounting payments that in turn will have trouble paying off in full or at all. Even doing just two months of this would help.

This is key.

I'm in talks with the property manager of my office building about next month's rent. A deferment of rent is fine if you expect to have a surplus of income/revenue to get caught up. But if I have a HUGE rent bill in 3 months or I'm paying a high monthly prorated bill for 6 months, then that's still going to put me in financial trouble, it's just delaying the pain.

At the same time property owners don't want to give 2-3 months of free rent if they're not going to be made whole by the government otherwise they're going to run into the same problem as me but with the bank.

So something needs to happen at the bank / loan level where bank loans are either frozen and/or the maturity date is pushed by 2-3 months or some federal grant. If this is done at the bank / loan level, then this will filter down to home owners, property owners, and renters. This is one of the instances where you do need a top down solution because simply stopping all evictions at the bottom for a couple of months will just create a nightmare 4-6 months from now.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
House Reps don't have that power. All she can do is make them go through all of the formal procedures like roll call

but she isn't even complaining about the bill here
Zero. All she can do is demand that the house all show up in person to pass it, which will delay it but not stop it.

This is posturing, 100%. Pelosi is aware of what was negotiated and it was always designed to pass through the house unaltered.
AOC has never and probably will never block a bill on her own lmao
Ah ok
I misunderstood the procedures then

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
God I'm sick of people with this mentality of "we can't incentivize people to go on unemployment." People don't like being on unemployment, but when there is no other option and you're starving, we need social nets to help them out, and then also a way to get back into employment to make their situations better.

Yep. I got laid off from my video game dream job in the height of the 2008/9 recession and was on unemployment for the 99 week maximum, it was the most miserable, stressful, depressing 2 years of my life. It was like I just...lost two years of forward momentum in my life. No one (ok, VERY FEW) who has actually been on unemployment *wants* to be there.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's also not even that easy to go on unemployment in most states. It's not just something you decide to do

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Yep. I got laid off from my video game dream job in the height of the 2008/9 recession and was on unemployment for the 99 week maximum, it was the most miserable, stressful, depressing 2 years of my life. It was like I just...lost two years of forward momentum in my life. No one (ok, VERY FEW) who has actually been on unemployment *wants* to be there.
Yeah, no one likes being unemployed. I was for a month or so in Feb 2018 right after moving into our new apartment, and it sucked. Got a temp job that lasted about four months and once I was done, I was unemployed for about a week and found a job within that time frame because I was like no, not doing this again.

twitter.com

Felix Salmon on Twitter

“omg https://t.co/BYIuWZai8y”

Everyone in power is Lord fucking Farquaad

352uoe.png

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I got fucked by the 2008 recession too, it took me years to recover. And for a while I was questioning everything about myself and the choices I made. I was miserable and hated myself. So yeah, good times when you aren't able to do the work you went to school for (or even work at all). These silver spooned assholes don't understand anything about the real world.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I'd actually be curious to see if DeRacist's approval has been impacted by this. I've even seen Republicans and people in the Panhandle criticizing him.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur

Joe Biden opens his virtual press conference sympathizing with the plight of millennials (coming of age in a recession and now a pandemic) and Gen Z (growing up with school shootings, now CV).

"We must not allow this pandemic to rob our young people of their futures," he says.

Joe Biden advises Americans to stay home and behave as though they're infected, noting that they could pass the virus on to others before feeling any symptoms.

"This bill doesn't include student loan forgiveness," Joe Biden says, critiquing the coronavirus stimulus deal.

"I support forgiving at least $10,000 in student debt now," he says, referring to the separate Pelosi-backed bill.​

1:15 PM - Mar 25, 2020

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City

Same happened with me and my job at a advertising agency. I now work for a government agency...... shit that recession really altered my career path and life

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, elderly people are already going back to work. They are retirees who are coming out of retirement to help with the medical emergency, by the hundreds and soon thousands that will be needed in each state.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City

Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur

Joe Biden opens his virtual press conference sympathizing with the plight of millennials (coming of age in a recession and now a pandemic) and Gen Z (growing up with school shootings, now CV).

"We must not allow this pandemic to rob our young people of their futures," he says.

Joe Biden advises Americans to stay home and behave as though they're infected, noting that they could pass the virus on to others before feeling any symptoms.

"This bill doesn't include student loan forgiveness," Joe Biden says, critiquing the coronavirus stimulus deal.

"I support forgiving at least $10,000 in student debt now," he says, referring to the separate Pelosi-backed bill.

1:15 PM - Mar 25, 2020

It's funny how when he wasn't running it was "Fuck those kids tell'em work harder" now it's "Shit, I see you're fucked up let me help".

He needa to own the college forgiveness plan. Warren's or Bernie's either way it was a winning issue and something I still think Trump is willing to do himself if he think's it'll give him the win.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
You are never going to hear me complain about having to work through this. As an IT worked I've been extremely busy in the office at work since they let a bunch of the staff work from home. I was supposed to have this week off to celebrate turning 40, but we're down some of our team (sick, but not coronavirus...). My hands are painful from washing them so much, but I'm not going to be the person who brings the disease into our prison population.

I am so fucking grateful to have a job right now, and it's all I can do not to side eye any other employees complaining they weren't cleared to work from home. Some of my closest friends just lost their jobs.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Manu Raju @mkraju

Major warning issued from three Republicans - Tim Scott, Ben Sasse, Lindsey Graham - who say there's a "massive drafting error" in the stimulus bill. And they would prevent the Senate from fast-tracking its passage unless it is addressed.​

1:22 PM - Mar 25, 2020

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Like, seeing these fucking CEOs just blatantly be like YUP PEOPLE GOIN' DIE makes me want to scream. Our company is opening back up Monday with a skeleton crew because we're making essential parts for respirators. We're running a skeleton crew. We're doing temp checks 2x a day. We're mandating showers when people get to work and leave work (We have facility on site). We've hired a nurse. We're hiring people to sanitize the work areas constantly. And my husband is still a nervous wreck someone is going to get sick.

Fuck these people.

Status
Not open for further replies.