• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Schumer hyped up the unemployment package a little too much. This is still massively better than the status quo.

A fixed amount like +$600 to the cap is vastly different in a blue state (like here in NJ where the payment currently maxes out at ~700/wk) and a red state like Florida where it maxes out at $275/wk

for reference, when I made $50k in NJ and was paid weekly my paycheck after tax/insurance was $600/mo. So a $1300 cap is way higher than $52k here. Before anyone says "standard of living" -- 1) that's already accounted for in your pay, which UI won't exceed and 2) it doesn't account for red states just fucking over people on UI

These bills are all really overthinking everything on the penny-pinching

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the house is currently in session as a measure to protect the house members. A bill can only pass with unanimous consents otherwise they have to bring everyone in
ah, that makes sense. I missed the start of her interview

To be clear though, my point wasn't so much that they want unanimous consent (or an unrecorded voice vote which is more or less the same thing), but rather that they want it on the Senate bill which I find disappointing

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Rachel Bitecofer released her post-primary Electoral College projection:

LMf7i0J.png

Praise be Bitecofer

Projected Democratic vote share in the Lean/Likely/Tossup states:

Minnesota - 55.24%
New Hampshire - 53.9%
Michigan - 53.24%
Nevada - 52.96%
Pennsylvania - 52.47%
Florida - 51.68%
Wisconsin - 51.61%
Nebraska's 2nd - 51.31%
North Carolina - 50.57%
Iowa - 49.59%
Ohio - 49.06%
Georgia - 48.88%
Arizona - 48.71%
Maine's 2nd - 48.26%
Texas - 46.16%
Montana - 42.42%
In the middle of reading the full article here but the points she makes about the midwest slowly trending more Republican makes me nervous for future presidential elections. We really need to just ditch the electoral college

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
In the middle of reading the full article here but the points she makes about the midwest slowly trending more Republican makes me nervous for future presidential elections. We really need to just ditch the electoral college
It shows the importance of making AZ, NC, TX, and GA consistently Democratic.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Yes

Ideally though the shift in the Midwest will be compensated by a similar shift in the Sun Belt states. North Carolina and Georgia are roughly on the same path as Virginia (with South Carolina a few steps behind), Arizona on the same path as Nevada and Colorado, Texas somewhere in the middle of those.

I think we're very quickly going to enter a period where Ohio, Iowa and Wisconsin are more or less gone permanently, while Minnesota, Michigan and Pennsylvania remain tossups at best. However the states I mentioned would more than make up for it (OH/WI/IA = 34 electoral votes, NC/AZ/GA = 42). The GOP having to regularly fight for Texas alone would represent a seismic shift in strategy and resources.

Florida's the oddball here because on paper, it should be turning safely blue, but there are competing forces keeping the state in stasis.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

Trump says people can go to work and clean their hands five times more than usual, and not shake hands, "and things will happen," but this situation can't go on. "You're going to have suicides by the thousands."

Trump: "We've had hotspots before. We've had horrible flus." He keeps talking about flu deaths. "So you say to yourself: what is this all about?"

Trump: We've had bad epidemics before, and I'm sure you could call them pandemics. (You...cannot always call them pandemics.)

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017

Like lambs to a slaughter he will sacrifice nearly 1mil+ lives just so he can crow about his stupid economy.

I know Daniel Dale is there to factcheck Trump, but the less we can expose twitter and the world to Trump's useless rambling, the safer we are.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
I feel nothing but an burning rage listening to and reading Trump's words. As a healthcare professional, I will see the effects of his coming action on a daily basis. I feel like bailing out water out of a boat, while seeing a tsunami on the horizon.

Yoma

Oct 25, 2017
he doesn't want his precious economy to fall apart. Why can't Americans just realize that Trump will much rather let people die to keep his cushy job than to protect as many people as possible? They should be rallying...against him. Like I get it, shit hasn't hit the fan yet, but it shouldn't resort to mass infections and death for people to wake the fuck up.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Thank you Trump for letting pandemists and sociologists all around the world have a large scale social experiment to study contrasting hypothesis in emergency conditions.

I guess.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
he doesn't want his precious economy to fall apart. Why can't Americans just realize that Trump will much rather let people die to keep his cushy job than to protect as many people as possible? They should be rallying...against him. Like I get it, shit hasn't hit the fan yet, but it shouldn't resort to mass infections and death for people to wake the fuck up.
It's come to that because Fox News turned a large chunk of this country's brains to mush.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

Trump says Cuomo was "complaining" about "the ventilators." He says, "He should've ordered the ventilators." (Cuomo says New York has a critical shortage of ventilators, needs thousands more.)

On Fox News town hall now -- Asked about why he said initial response to #coronavirus was "perfect," Trump invokes impeachment. Call to Ukraine was "perfect, and that was a witch hunt."

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
I guess we're in the stage of late capitalism where the bourgeoisie openly makes human sacrifices to the dread gods DOW and NASDAQ.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I guess we're in the stage of late capitalism where the bourgeoisie openly makes human sacrifices to the dread gods DOW and NASDAQ.
It won't matter. Everything is going to be vastly down because folks will still try to avoid getting sick, folks will be getting sick, and state and local is determining their response.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Trump thinks because he says something its going to happen, the Gov are responsible for their states not you asshole.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I think this probably explains why he's had such a soft rally around the flag, a lot of people blame Congressional D's for stuff but they are also blaming him for poor initial response and chaos.

I'd say its not great for him to be already getting blamed for stuff before we've even "hit the fan" with the pandemic and economy. And the blaming of Congressional D's will likely fade once bills are past and the entire buck lies solely on Trump's lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.