• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
www.nytimes.com

How It All Came Apart for Bernie Sanders (Published 2020)

The Sanders campaign appeared on the brink of a commanding lead in the Democratic race. But a series of fateful decisions and internal divisions have left him all but vanquished.
I have respect for Sanders doing things the way he wants to without any regard to what you're "supposed" to do. I'm the same way. But he wants to be President. You have to do some politicking. You can't be a body builder without working out.

Yoma

Oct 25, 2017
There's an article where Clyburn is suggesting that Biden should be making concessions as much as he can. And given how much influence Clyburn has, there's better time spent holding a grand bargain and planning with Biden on achieving the progressive agenda.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I think the scale for what can actually be achieved for progressive reform has massively shifted leftward. If we can get all three branches (not a given) it's going to be easier to convince people how close anyone is to needing financial support, Healthcare, etc etc.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
As I've said before, yesterday my wife and I had a COVID scare and I watched the system buckle in real time. When my wife called to schedule an appointment at 4pm she got right through. They told her they would process her report and call back with a time to test. When I called 30 minutes later I was met with a "60 - 70 minute" wait. I ended up on hold for more than 2 hours. When I finally got through I was told "you don't meet the criteria, there's nothing we can do." While that was a fair point, my concern was if she was getting tested, then wouldn't it make sense for me to get tested? Then late last night it was announced they were stopping all community testing.

NYS has gotten a lot of credit over the last few days, but the testing was never going to be able to keep up. Once we heard that there was a sick person who had been riding the train into NYC from the Hudson Valley for a week, everyone knew that there was no stopping it at that point. Apparently the hospitals up where I am are reporting that they are still well supplied, but who knows how long that will last. I'm shocked the governor hasn't shut down the Thruway and barred all non essential travel like we do during snowstorms. I'm not sure how that later idea would work or be enforced, but the Thruway seems like a no brainer.
That's scary stuff, man. Hope you and your wife wind up safe and clean. I'm already telling family members to stay the hell away from buses and trains. They're giant metal death traps now as far as I'm concerned. The lack of testing is going to kill so many people...

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
#1 is fine. No one cares about the corpse of bernie sanders anymore anyway. #2 is basically idiocracy.

He needs to immediately stop soliciting donations.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe he has stopped soliciting donations at least.

I just want him to drop so he and Biden can be co-faces of the party, Bernie from the Senate, and Joe as the proposed President.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
There were also serious operational mistakes: In South Carolina, the campaign effectively deputized a former Ohio state senator and loyal surrogate, Nina Turner, to direct strategy, rather than empowering a political strategist to run the pivotal early state. In private conversations, Mr. Sanders often touted his support from some younger African-Americans, seemingly missing the bigger picture.

Simply the Best [People]

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Why do you think this is happening? Why is it OK to price gouge on life saving treatments while have to "negotiate" with private health insurance because they can refuse to pay for it? And why penalize people who're unable to afford insurance while living in states that didn't expand medicaid? I didn't apply for the ACA because I looked at the cheapest plan and saw how much more expensive it is than going to the hospital uninsured.

The whole system is broken, and people are defending it while offering a public option while taking money from private insurance and pharmaceutical companies.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
God bernie would have been a terrible GE candidate. If he starts campaigning aggressively using the disaster opportunistically, I hope most of his supporters abandon him. There is no need to stay in this race. Any downballot race should be mail in only for the next few months. Thankfully, I do have some faith that he is a better person than would do that

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Wow this thread moved so slow for a Friday.

It's crazy how the testing system broke before we could even come close to testing a meaningful portion of the population. NY gave it the good ole' college try, but it seems like they buckled too.

And the majority of the current positive test results were infected roughly 10 days ago or more, so while Trump was doing all this happy talk and the government spinning in cycles, COVID-19 was spreading like absolute wildfire across the country.

Granted it's tough comparing charts because different countries have been testing differing percentages of their population.And because testing in the US has been horrendous so far. But the charts look scary where we do look much worse than Italy. I'm sure our daily infections include a backlog of people who should have been tested earlier, but for everyone of those people are I'm sure there's about ten others who have been getting infected in just the last few days and can't be tested. So while the daily new infections count may not be accurate, it's probably much worse than what's reported, especially when you add in DisneyWorld and the Florida beaches insanity from the past week. If a business conference in Boston caused a major outbreak, imagine would DisneyWorld will produce 10 days from now when we already know there were positive individuals there.

I'm in California and everything pretty much officially shutdown today so the long night begins. And I have a feeling COVID-19 is going to crawl through more of Congress, which is just going to further slow down legislation to provide relief.

If our government continues to be incompetent and our healthcare system overwhelmed, I imagine the balance of the equation in a couple of months will shift from "Lives to Livelihoods" and A LOT of people's lives will be sacrificed in order to preserve the Livelihoods of the rest the country. Because at the moment it feels like we're on track to lose both Livelihoods and Lives. I'm willing to bet in two weeks, the new phrase around the world will be, "Let's be like South Korea and not the USA".Because even if Italy has a higher mortality rate, we're on track to exceed both infections and deaths just by the sheer numbers of people with the virus.

Our Kakistocracy government makes getting slammed for this much easier than authoritarian Iran and China's fuckups. Hell, Xi's already leaning in on this disparity.

There's an article where Clyburn is suggesting that Biden should be making concessions as much as he can. And given how much influence Clyburn has, there's better time spent holding a grand bargain and planning with Biden on achieving the progressive agenda.

The Elder Statesman is loving his kingmaker role now.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
I haven't had a lot to add to this thread or ResetERA generally lately.

I just wanted to say "welp, this sucks" and that I hope each of you are able to take a break from the news now and then and find an opportunity to be grateful for whatever is going well in your life. This news cycle seems to corrode the soul.

It's going to be a long year. We have to pace ourselves.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't had a lot to add to this thread or ResetERA generally lately.

I just wanted to say "welp, this sucks" and that I hope each of you are able to take a break from the news now and then and find an opportunity to be grateful for whatever is going well in your life. This news cycle seems to corrode the soul.

It's going to be a long year. We have to pace ourselves.
I'm with you. Ive taken a few breaks this year already. Watching Trump, Bill Barr, Mitch McConnell, and the rest of the corrupt Republican Party get away with/ignore Trumps incompetence is enough to make anyone go insane.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of upset now that AOC actually went ahead with that endorsement. At that point his campaign was not doing well so she could have actually helped Warren. A Warren Biden finale would have been so much better than this

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
I'm kind of upset now that AOC actually went ahead with that endorsement. At that point his campaign was not doing well so she could have actually helped Warren. A Warren Biden finale would have been so much better than this
Warren would've gotten less votes than Bernie regardless and with the amount of online shit AOC got for liking a fucking SNL sketch with Warren I shudder to think what a certain set of online idiots would've sent her.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
I have respect for Sanders doing things the way he wants to without any regard to what you're "supposed" to do. I'm the same way. But he wants to be President. You have to do some politicking. You can't be a body builder without working out.
Pride goeth before a fall.

He filled his campaign with a bunch of people whose CV's can't even fill half a page, and the inexperience showed. And most deliciously of all, now the bros can't even claim that his staff failed him because of all these stories showing that the rot came from on high. "Their boy" failed himself.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Everything continues to point to how Bernie would simply have been disastrous as the Dem nominee let alone as the President. His reluctance to reach out to people to build political relationships would doom him.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Warren would've gotten less votes than Bernie regardless and with the amount of online shit AOC got for liking a fucking SNL sketch with Warren I shudder to think what a certain set of online idiots would've sent her.
I'm sure there's hesitancy to have a woman be a candidate after 2016, but I could see Warren getting more votes than Bernie. I think the party could've coalesced around her like they did with Biden as well.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Good fucking lord. Could they have picked a worse analogy.

Indeed. And terrible analogy aside, it again shows one of the key problems with Sanders and his campaign: he views anyone and everyone, including potential allies who he could potentially court and get on his side if he were so interested, as enemies regardless. Like, obviously reaching for a Civil War analogy of all things is extra-bad on Weaver's part, but even if he reached for something with a bit more tact, the analogy still shows that once again he's casting figures like Pelosi and the Democratic Party as inherently being just as much an enemy to Sanders as anyone else (despite him running for the Democratic Party's nomination for Presidential Candidate), and that itself just says it all.

Literally anyone and everyone just starts off as enemies/adversaries to him from the word "go" and have to prove to him they're not, instead of, y'know, being a politician and all that, just... not doing that? And it maybe, just maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe being his job as a politician seeking even higher office to be the one making the pitch in the first place as to why they should be aboard Team Sanders as opposed to any other team, making the case himself and actually trying to form coalitions and all that.

Nope, instead, again he and his campaign demonstrate they view anyone and everyone as potential enemies from the word go instead of potential allies and they have to prove to HIM they're not adversaries, instead of the other way around. It's not that Sanders has to put in the work or anything like that, they have to prove their loyalty to him, or else, he doesn't have to do a thing.

He still just doesn't get it, at all. He's just way, waaaaaay too adversarial about this type of thing.

Oct 27, 2017
So the campaign really wanted the Democratic party to self-immolate via a civil war of "moderates", while avoiding the constituents they were counting on to make this happen? This is terrible on several levels, and a disservice to many of Sanders' supporters who were counting on him for systemic change.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie figured he could win the Presidency by going it alone. Astounding.

I guess he was really feeling himself because he had such massive rallies and grassroots donators and thought the Dem party as a whole would just eventually get behind him.

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised at that article. It's exactly a major reason why I never bothered to support Sanders.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
So the campaign really wanted the Democratic party to self-immolate via a civil war of "moderates", while avoiding the constituents they were counting on to make this happen? This is terrible on several levels, and a disservice to many of Sanders' supporters who were counting on him for systemic change.
Letthemfight.jpg only works when they don't have a bigger common goal. You think Mothra and Godzilla would keep fighting if King Ghidra shows up on the field?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

he won't even call his allies lol

Wooooooooowwwwwwwwww..... They really wasted their time endorsing him. Like, holy fuck, no outreach. Not us, me.

I'm not surprised at that article. It's exactly a major reason why I never bothered to support Sanders.
It's why he was my last resort before Biden and Butti, but damn his campaign was even more poorly run that I expected, and I wasn't expecting much.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Bernie was built to be the candidate for those not into electoral politics.

Which ended up, surprise surprise, not being helpful for electoral politics.

I hope the next group of politicians aren't a bunch of lionized mediocre men and ostracized amazing women.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Bernie must be hellish to work with. I know Vermont is small, but how does someone like this have success at the highest levels of government? This article goes a long way to explaining Hillary's comments on Bernie. I understand better why she resents him so much- he's the antithesis of her. She spent a career honing her skills and building her resume while Bernie did nothing of the sort and still felt he should be President.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Bernie must be hellish to work with. I know Vermont is small, but how does someone like this have success at the highest levels of government? This article goes a long way to explaining Hillary's comments on Bernie. I understand better why she resents him so much- he's the antithesis of her. She spent a career honing her skills and building her resume while Bernie did nothing of the sort and still felt he should be President.

Yep.

Hillary dislike the guy for a simple fact: she'd be nowhere if she acted like him. She knows that, he doesn't. And never needed to.

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017
I am kinda surprised there was plan to go to the south

Heh. Probably just to tout that he was winning younger black voters and assumed that older ones should just go ahead and support him.

It's why he was my last resort before Biden and Butti, but damn his campaign was even more poorly run that I expected, and I wasn't expecting much.

I knew Sanders is an extremely stubborn dude, but he really makes it an artform. Then wonders why he can't win.

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
He clearly thought he could be like Trump and just barge in and get everyone to do what he wanted by sheer force.

His anti-establishment campaign helped him get that 30% of extremely loyal diehard voters, but it also turned off a lot of others, and left him no room to grow.

The Democratic party is much more diverse then the Republican party, and I think the results show this was a terrible strategy that wouldn't work like Trump's did.

Honestly, after Warren dropped I was going back and forth on whether to vote Biden or Bernie for the primary since I wasn't huge on either, but I ended up going for Biden because I didn't think Bernie could build enough of a coalition to win. Based on everything coming out I think I made the right decision. I just hope Biden incorporates more progressive policies into his platform for the general.

Yoma

Oct 25, 2017
NGL

I was straight up very bitter that AOC chose Bernie over Warren and now I'm sorta salty at learning the fact Warren really wanted her endorsement.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.