• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
As someone from NY who has kept up on things, when we all heard the news last night that they were ceasing testing you could hear pin drop. Yes tests are in short supply but it came across as "good luck, you're on your own."
They're just passing on the message they're getting from the federal government.

The states are on their own, and they're not equipped to handle a crisis of this magnitude.

Strictly in terms of economic impact, what's worse.

Covid-19 in America or Brexit in the UK?
The virus.

Britain was sinking anyway. Brexit is just another bubble making its way to the surface.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

John Hudson on Twitter

“Fashion executive-turned-Trump ambassador Lana Marks dined with someone who had COVID-19 but told subordinates she wasn't at risk because the dinner was outside and she believed the virus could not withstand the Florida heat https://t.co/9lSJWP9gN6”

Only the best people

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
They're just passing on the message they're getting from the federal government.

The states are on their own, and they're not equipped to handle a crisis of this magnitude.
I understand, and the Feds are the ones to shoulder the most blame. But that said the States are not beyond blame. While now is not the time, when this is all said and done there needs to be an examination of leadership and actions of governmental institutions at all levels. Critical days were lost last week when state governments looked around for someone to lead. Why they ever expected leadership from DC I can't fathom. States have done their best, but when days matter they lost critical time because governors weren't ready to lead. Stay at home orders should have been enacted earlier and it may have helped a lot.

I'm just frustrated. I don't think Cuomo or any other governor is guilty of dereliction of duty like the President is, but I wish they had realized earlier that Trump was going to do nothing to help.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe in public shaming, but someone in this thread said Ron DeSantis is handsome.

giphy.gif

In similarly wretched news, we finally know who funded Warren's PAC.

www.fec.gov

Browse Individual contributions - FEC.gov

Explore current and historic federal campaign finance data on the new fec.gov. Look at totals and trends, and see how candidates and committees raise and spend money. When you find what you need, export results and save custom links.

Very cool, and totally worth the third place finish in her own state!
680297531598700572.png

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Finally caught up after skimming like twelve pages. Just wanna say that Katie Porter would definitely be an SSS tier senator, especially if she replaces Feinstein (who has apparently done nothing wrong regarding the stocks btw). Also, I saw that DFP poll about a majority of Americans favoring a national VBM election. Here's hoping Klob can corner McConnell with the biggest stapler she can find.

Also I've been saying this since Super Tuesday....... which feels like a lifetime ago unfortunately

Clyburn has got the right idea if this article is accurate.
The US will likely be the country with the third-highest infection rate by tomorrow (probably second by the end of next week).

Capacity for testing has already buckled. CA and NY are basically saying now not to get tested, even if you're sick. There's no point; they don't have tests, and it won't make a difference.
what

the

fuck?

I thought at least in NY the infrastructure for steady and moderate amounts of testing had finally been set up. Man, we're really looking at hundreds of thousands being infected by the end of March, aren't we?

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Finally caught up after skimming like twelve pages. Just wanna say that Katie Porter would definitely be an SSS tier senator, especially if she replaces Feinstein (who has apparently done nothing wrong regarding the stocks btw). Also, I saw that DFP poll about a majority of Americans favoring a national VBM election. Here's hoping Klob can corner McConnell with the biggest stapler she can find.

Clyburn has got the right idea if this article is accurate.

what

the

fuck?

I thought at least in NY the infrastructure for steady and moderate amounts of testing had finally been set up. Man, we're really looking at hundreds of thousands being infected by the end of March, aren't we?
As I've said before, yesterday my wife and I had a COVID scare and I watched the system buckle in real time. When my wife called to schedule an appointment at 4pm she got right through. They told her they would process her report and call back with a time to test. When I called 30 minutes later I was met with a "60 - 70 minute" wait. I ended up on hold for more than 2 hours. When I finally got through I was told "you don't meet the criteria, there's nothing we can do." While that was a fair point, my concern was if she was getting tested, then wouldn't it make sense for me to get tested? Then late last night it was announced they were stopping all community testing.

NYS has gotten a lot of credit over the last few days, but the testing was never going to be able to keep up. Once we heard that there was a sick person who had been riding the train into NYC from the Hudson Valley for a week, everyone knew that there was no stopping it at that point. Apparently the hospitals up where I am are reporting that they are still well supplied, but who knows how long that will last. I'm shocked the governor hasn't shut down the Thruway and barred all non essential travel like we do during snowstorms. I'm not sure how that later idea would work or be enforced, but the Thruway seems like a no brainer.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

www.fec.gov

Explore current and historic federal campaign finance data on the new fec.gov. Look at totals and trends, and see how candidates and committees raise and spend money. When you find what you need, export results and save custom links.

680297531598700572.png

Just because I know this is going to get traction, I think we should nip this in the bud before it does. It was not Warren's PAC. It was a pro-Warren PAC. When Warren asked them to divulge their donors, they refused, and when Biden started winning the PAC abandoned Warren and left her high and dry which is probably why she dropped out when she did.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
There's a subset of people who watched Lockup and probably really love Sheriff Joe Asshole. He was on that with his disgusting tent cities, and if you're a tough on crime asshole....then maybe you want to give him money because you saw him on the teevee.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Would love to hear the rationale for that considering she seemed to be mostly for dems otherwise.
Could be the fact Arpaio was seen as a big spoiler for the Republican chances in 2018. Arpaio had his base of support in Maricopa County that had shrunk enough to kick him out of the Sheriffs office. There was no way in hell On its way to Purple Arizona as a whole would elect Arpaio. Arpaios run caused a lot of grief for republicans in 18.

That said it could be for reasons of how shitty he was in treatment of Hispanic Americans and Immigrants

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
I don't believe in public shaming, but someone in this thread said Ron DeSantis is handsome.

giphy.gif

www.fec.gov

680297531598700572.png

Look I was strictly speaking from an evil Republican graded on the Trump scale. There's not a deep lineup.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Would love to hear the rationale for that considering she seemed to be mostly for dems otherwise.
Her Wiki page is completely fascinating and the Arpaio donation sticks out like a sore ass thumb:
Jurvetson has a long history of progressive political activism, having volunteered as a neighborhood organizer and a fundraiser for multiple Democratic candidates over the past thirty years.[19] She initially served as a precinct captain for her local Congresswoman in 1988 and also was an early donor and door-to-door canvasser for presidential candidates Barack Obama in 2008 and Hillary Clinton in 2016. After the election of Donald Trump in 2016, her donations to Democratic candidates dramatically increased to $6.9 million in advance of the 2018 midterms, making her the third highest woman political donor in the nation.[19]

Her contributions helped propel a historically diverse group of candidates forward as the Democrats regained control of the U.S. House of Representatives in 2018.[19][20][21]

The candidates whom she supported include Lauren Underwood, the youngest African-American woman to serve in Congress,[22] and Sharice Davids, a former mixed martial arts fighter who became the first openly LGBT Native American to serve in Congress.[23] Of the 12,000 representatives elected since the First U.S. Congress in 1789, there had been zero Native American women until Sharice Davids and Deb Haaland were elected in 2018.[24] According to National Geographic, "In perhaps the most historic milestone of the 2018 mid-term elections, the United States Congress will welcome its first two Native American women members."[25]

Controversy arose with her largest donation of $5.4m to Women Vote!, the political action committee run by EMILY's List. Her donation was in the form of Baidu shares, a Chinese internet company that's traded on the U.S. stock exchange and was unusual outside of Silicon Valley since it was in the form of stock shares. The controversy arose because only American citizens can donate to U.S. elections.[26] An EMILY's List spokesperson said, "We cleared the donation through our lawyers."[27] In November 2018, Jurvetson was named by Money Makers as one of five "surprising million dollar donors" to the US midterm elections.[27]

Jurvetson also supported Democratic candidates for the U.S. Senate in 2018, including the only two seats that changed from Republican to Democratic control, Nevada and Arizona. She hosted an early fundraiser for Kyrsten Sinema, who eventually won her close race and became the first Democratic Senator elected to represent Arizona in decades.[28][29] Sinema's victory was described as what "may be the Democrats' biggest win of the Trump era."[28]

According to an article about the role of women donors in the 2018 election in the San Jose Mercury News, Jurvetson said, "Women have gained enough economic power and political power so we can translate our frustration into action...I feel like it's our moral duty, if we're not going to run ourselves, to support the women who are brave enough to put their names on the ballot...As Gloria Steinem said, seeing money go to have a positive social impact is more rewarding than seeing it accumulate in the bank," Jurvetson said. "Women disproportionately were the activists, the volunteers, the people who drove change in the 2018 elections."
According to the November 2018 article, "She says she hasn't made up her mind on whom to support for president, and hopes to see a competitive primary." She added that, '"It made sense for the party's presidential nominee to be 'someone who really excites the base, instead of just a boring candidate who's been there forever.' "

Jurvetson currently serves on the Board of Directors of EMILY's List, which is based in Washington, D.C. and is the nation's largest organization for women in politics.[30] The EMILY's List website describes its vision as "A community of more than five million. Over 1,200 election victories. All with a single focus — progressive change that matters." The values listed on EMILY'S List website include: "Reject apathy and the status quo. Repeat daily...Not participate. Lead...Stand on the frontline...Combine enthusiasm and strategy to unlock the motivators that convert "change wishers" to "change drivers," and provoke people into action...Relentlessly dismiss the comfort zone...Work towards making every space an inclusive one...Diversity is a strategic goal as well as a just one. Diversity creates better policies."

She has remained an active political donor in the 2019-2020 cycle, supporting the Democratic National Committee and several congressional candidates.[31][32]
She also donated $1 million to Fair Fight Action, the voting rights group founded by Stacey Abrams[33] in Georgia, which filed a historic civil rights lawsuit in federal court to address voter suppression. From 2000-2018 there were 1.6 million voters purged from voter rolls in Georgia. In Abrams' 2018 gubernatorial race there were "extreme" voting irregularities found predominantly in African-American districts which could have impacted the outcome of the election, which Brian Kemp won by less than 55,000 votes (1.4%).[34][35][36] According to the organization, "From illegal voter purges to hundreds of poll closures to four-hour lines, Georgia voters have faced a sophisticated, but hauntingly familiar, attack on their right to vote."

In August 2019, Fair Fight 2020 announced it was expanding to help build voter protection teams for fair and secure elections across the 20 battleground states in advance of the 2020 election.[37]

In May of 2019, Jurvetson donated $2,700 to Sheriff Joe Arpaio's Senate run. [38]

In March of 2020 it was revealed that Jurvetson had contributed $14.6 million to a Political action committee named "Persist PAC" in support of Elizabeth Warren,[39] in spite of Warren's previous pledges to never accept this type of funding.
[40]

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone filing using her name, perhaps?
It looks more and more like it was Strategic boosting. She went all in for Sinemas election. During the Republican Primary McSally was by no means a lock with a serious threat from Kelli Ward who would have rallied the republicans alot more in AZ but Arpaio ate a ton of Wards support which let McSally get the Republican Nomination. Strategic boosting can backfire but in a case like Arpaio it certainly helped Sinema get the weaker GOP opponent.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously it's because she believes in the political philosophy that Arpaio and Cisneros shares.

Which is.....

I got nothing.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
This throwing of Warren, one of the icons of Progressivism under the bus is absolutely a no go by me. I'm really losing opinion of Bernie and his people, and its clear Progressive politicians are sliding away from him as well.

I mean fuck, this is Elizabeth Warren for crying out loud. why are they selling her down the river....i dont understand it....

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
You made the mistake of assuming it was about the issues. It's never been about the issues, despite what people claim. If you take all of the ideas of one candidate and have another one adopt them, then suddenly it's not enough.

Oct 26, 2017
Wow this thread moved so slow for a Friday.

It's crazy how the testing system broke before we could even come close to testing a meaningful portion of the population. NY gave it the good ole' college try, but it seems like they buckled too.

And the majority of the current positive test results were infected roughly 10 days ago or more, so while Trump was doing all this happy talk and the government spinning in cycles, COVID-19 was spreading like absolute wildfire across the country.

Granted it's tough comparing charts because different countries have been testing differing percentages of their population.And because testing in the US has been horrendous so far. But the charts look scary where we do look much worse than Italy. I'm sure our daily infections include a backlog of people who should have been tested earlier, but for everyone of those people are I'm sure there's about ten others who have been getting infected in just the last few days and can't be tested. So while the daily new infections count may not be accurate, it's probably much worse than what's reported, especially when you add in DisneyWorld and the Florida beaches insanity from the past week. If a business conference in Boston caused a major outbreak, imagine would DisneyWorld will produce 10 days from now when we already know there were positive individuals there.

I'm in California and everything pretty much officially shutdown today so the long night begins. And I have a feeling COVID-19 is going to crawl through more of Congress, which is just going to further slow down legislation to provide relief.

If our government continues to be incompetent and our healthcare system overwhelmed, I imagine the balance of the equation in a couple of months will shift from "Lives to Livelihoods" and A LOT of people's lives will be sacrificed in order to preserve the Livelihoods of the rest the country. Because at the moment it feels like we're on track to lose both Livelihoods and Lives. I'm willing to bet in two weeks, the new phrase around the world will be, "Let's be like South Korea and not the USA".Because even if Italy has a higher mortality rate, we're on track to exceed both infections and deaths just by the sheer numbers of people with the virus.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
This throwing of Warren, one of the icons of Progressivism under the bus is absolutely a no go by me. I'm really losing opinion of Bernie and his people, and its clear Progressive politicians are sliding away from him as well.

I mean fuck, this is Elizabeth Warren for crying out loud. why are they selling her down the river....i dont understand it....

All i'm going to say is that policies are a secondary issue to the people attacking Warren.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I'm getting angrier about Warren being smeared. That woman has been leading Progressive policies, passing legislation, who continues to promote, legislate progressive policies in Congress (right now!) and these people are calling her centrist and a Republican are insane.

I know the majority of Progressives still love her and would applaud if it ever occurred, but if Biden actually chose her as VP, i really really wanna look into the future and see if these twitter Bernie people would still call her a centrist.

ValiantChaos

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
www.nytimes.com

How It All Came Apart for Bernie Sanders (Published 2020)

The Sanders campaign appeared on the brink of a commanding lead in the Democratic race. But a series of fateful decisions and internal divisions have left him all but vanquished.

In the view of some Sanders advisers, the candidate's abrupt decline was a result of unforeseeable and highly unlikely events — most of all, the sudden withdrawal of two major candidates, Senator Amy Klobuchar and former Mayor Pete Buttigieg, who instantly threw their support to Mr. Biden and helped spur a rapid coalescing of moderate support behind his campaign.

Mr. Sanders had been "on the brink of winning," Mr. Tulchin argued, "until the most unprecedented event in the history of presidential primaries occurred."
But interviews with more than three dozen Sanders aides, elected officials, activists and other people who worked with his campaign revealed a more extensive picture of his reversal of political fortune. Though Mr. Sanders climbed to a position of seeming dominance by mid-February, he and his inner circle also made a series of fateful decisions that left him ill positioned to win over skeptical Democrats — and sorely vulnerable to an opponent with Mr. Biden's strengths.

Mr. Sanders proved unable to expand his base well beyond the left or to win over African-Americans in meaningful numbers. He failed to heed warnings from traditional party leaders, and even from within his campaign, about the need to modulate his message and unify Democrats. He allowed internal arguments to fester within his campaign, an ungainly operation that fragmented into factions beneath the only two real decision makers — Mr. Sanders and his wife, Jane.

----

In January, efforts by Ms. Turner and others to direct some campaign resources into Super Tuesday states fizzled against opposition from Mr. Shakir and others. Mr. Shakir was adamant that Mr. Sanders's path to the nomination ran principally through Iowa, New Hampshire and Nevada, and the California primary on Super Tuesday.

```
Mr. Sanders's campaign, like much of the political world, had not anticipated Mr. Biden's roaring comeback after South Carolina's Feb. 29 primary. Indeed, until then, Mr. Sanders's campaign was expecting to win seven or eight of the 14 states voting on Super Tuesday and seize a solid delegate lead over the rest of the Democratic field.

So confident was Mr. Sanders that he would vanquish Mr. Biden that he spent valuable days trying to force two other candidates out of the race by campaigning in Minnesota and Massachusetts, the home states of Ms. Klobuchar and Ms. Warren. He won neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.