• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ya know, if we have to have a huge recession causing massive business shuttering, wouldn't it be a bright spot if Trump's business collapsed during it?

Then again, he'd make 100% certain to get a bailout for himself.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
LOL the Republicans won't nominate RINO traitor Romney who voted to convict Trump.

Idk this whole Trump experience...... let's see how many R seat survive 2020 elections. If enough lose Romney is going to look way more mainstream to republican than he does now.

unlike Bush whose family is a foundation in the Republican Party. If Trump loses big I can see them all use his name as a curse word. Especially since they got what they wanted from him already in judges and tax cuts.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Idk this whole Trump experience...... let's see how many R seat survive 2020 elections. If enough lose Romney is going to look way more mainstream to republican than he does now.

unlike Bush whose family is a foundation in the Republican Party. If Trump loses big I can see them all use his name as a curse word. Especially since they got what they wanted from him already in judges and tax cuts.
Their base will still be radicalized white supremacists who won't want the racist genie back in the bottle. The ~~~establishment~~~ Republicans will conform to that base's desires.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I hate DeSantis following suit with his hateful/racist rhetoric, saying China should be held accountable for this health crisis.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I hate DeSantis following suit with his hateful/racist rhetoric, saying China should be held accountable for this health crisis.
DeSantis will try to take the mantle, as will Cotton, Crenshaw, and Hawley.
Look, the GOP is going to nominate Nicki Haley and you're going to just deal with it.
She resigned from Boeing now that they've started hinting they want a bailout. I think she'll definitely run, but LOL at this GOP base nominating a woman of color.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

Addendum to my #GASEN column:

SLF, which already spent $2M on ads for Sen. Loeffler, has "no plans" to go back on air on her behalf. Attributes it to the broader (coronavirus-centered) environment, not specifically because of the emerging scandal. http://njour.nl/s/705542?unlock=7384DP0HPF9FCMLG …

A major development in the #gasen race from establishment-backed GOP group that spent millions to boost Loeffler. Says Collins spokesman @DanM12: "McConnell's folks wanted to abandon ship while there were still life jackets left." #gapol #gasen

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I think the GOP can still win National Elections if they run hard on white nationalism sadly--lots of "economically anxious" people out there, and we all know which way the Rust Belt states are trending demographically.

Thankfully, I don't think Trump's racist rhetoric was the sole reason he won, but also his gamesmanship, which I don't think any racist can replicate. He was tailor made to sweep the GOP voters off their feet.

I don't see a Hawley having the same kind of success, for instance.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
Their base will still be radicalized white supremacists who won't want the racist genie back in the bottle. The ~~~establishment~~~ Republicans will conform to that base's desires.

Yeah but without a snakes head (Trump) I think they go back to being just the tea party Idiots mostly seen in the house. I expect Republicans with money to promote guys like Romney. Trump is bad for business..... these idiots got a tax break but broke the economy a year later. If anything they'll want people with a record of governing (Scott) or guys like Romney with money and successful businesses.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
DeSantis might actually be pretty successful in a Presidential run - he's grotesque enough that Trump's base would bandwagon him but just tasteful enough that the disgruntled Never Trumpers would probably consider voting for him!

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but without a snakes head (Trump) I think they go back to being just the tea party Idiots mostly seen in the house. I expect Republicans with money to promote guys like Romney. Trump is bad for business..... these idiots got a tax break but broke the economy a year later. If anything they'll want people with a record of governing (Scott) or guys like Romney with money and successful businesses.
I feel as though you're not distinguishing between party elites and their actual base. Their base won't want any of the things you mentioned. They'll want racism, and as others in this thread have noted, Hawley and DeSantis et al. will try to pivot toward that European right-wing Welfare for Whites Only model and thread the needle that Vector mentions above.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
DeSantis might actually be pretty successful in a Presidential run - he's grotesque enough that Trump's base would bandwagon him but just tasteful enough that the disgruntled Never Trumpers would probably consider voting for him!
DeSantis is sitting at approvals in the high 50s, low to mid 60s. He'd have a damn good shot at guaranteeing FL at the very least. Ran a racist campaign to get elected, then moderated himself in certain areas. Perfect for the people you describe.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it sucks that because of Feinstein this otherwise huge political shitstorm that has actual potential to sink republicans, and Fox fucking news realizes this because they are talking about it but of course the headline implies that it's the democrats fault. But now it will get downplayed because of 'both sides' so at best we will end up where we started. Optics is important now more than ever.
Still catching up with the thread, but good grief. I'm sorry for being curt, but this is how somehow who thinks they have a mastery of politics would handle the situation. Not sure why this poor suggestion needed to be repeated more than once. Throwing people under the bus based on the off chance republicans are going to do what they already do and misrepresent the situation is foolishness to the highest degree.

Oct 25, 2017
I think if Nikki Haley gets transported to the ticket she wins but she has to get there and there's no way she gets the Trump ring kiss in the next 2 cycles.

The problem with a lot of the feminism "hire more women prison guards" mainstream discourse is that the moment the GOP puts up a competent woman, its game over. Fortunately for us, most of the women candidates they have in the senate are either weasels (Susan) or insane conspiracy theorists (McSally & Joni).

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

Macron has a 51% approval rating. Shit's bad because normally the French hate all their presidents.

I think if Nikki Haley gets transported to the ticket she wins but she has to get there and there's no way she gets the Trump ring kiss in the next 2 cycles.

The problem with a lot of the feminism "hire more women prison guards" mainstream discourse is that the moment the GOP puts up a competent woman, its game over. Fortunately for us, most of the women candidates they have in the senate are either weasels (Susan) or insane conspiracy theorists (McSally & Joni).
Another reason I want Biden's VP, whoever she is, to become president. We can't let a Republican woman get there first and poison all the discourse and ideas about women presidents for god knows how long.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
I feel as though you're not distinguishing between party elites and their actual base. Their base won't want any of the things you mentioned. They'll want racism, and as others in this thread have noted, Hawley and DeSantis et al. will try to pivot toward that European right-wing Welfare for Whites Only model and thread the needle that Vector mentions above.

I am not saying that outright racist idiots won't win elections in racist states. I am saying purple Republicans (those who survive 2020) and donors will clip them in the wing come national elections time. What you'll see are Rick Scott types where yeah they are racist but they do it discreetly through policy and you'll see never Trumpers who (while also racist) will run on old favorites like "economic security and reigning in DemS spending". A populist (aka racist) is going to have a hard time coming out that party with a nomination if they get their ass kicked the way it's looking like they'll get their ass kicked. Mostly because blaming it on outright racists will make it easier for the diet racist to make themselves look better and try to win over suburban voters who are gonna leave that party high and dry come 2020.

Oct 25, 2017

Macron has a 51% approval rating. Shit's bad because normally the French hate all their presidents.

Another reason I want Biden's VP, whoever she is, to become president. We can't let a Republican woman get there first and poison all the discourse and ideas about women presidents for god knows how long.

Can't wait to hear about how Nikki Haley will snap back the suburbs from GOP operatives in 3 years.

As unfortunate as it is, if the GOP puts up a "idiot" woman at the top of the ticket (a la Michelle Bachmann) she'll get flayed in the GE and Dems will probably win Men.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I am not saying that outright racist idiots won't win elections in racist states. I am saying purple Republicans (those who survive 2020) and donors will clip them in the wing come national elections time. What you'll see are Rick Scott types where yeah they are racist but they do it discreetly through policy and you'll see never Trumpers who (while also racist) will run on old favorites like "economic security and reigning in DemS spending". A populist (aka racist) is going to have a hard time coming out that party with a nomination if they get their ass kicked the way it's looking like they'll get their ass kicked. Mostly because blaming it on outright racists will make it easier for the diet racist to make themselves look better and try to win over suburban voters who are gonna leave that party high and dry come 2020.

DeSantis is way better at doing it than Voldemort, which is why he's far more popular than he ever was. DeRacist is actually the perfect politician to try to carry a Tucker Carlson like image in a national election.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
This might be dumb. I get Hawley's appeal. But why is DeSantis so popular in Florida despite being a racist POS.

I think it'll be Hawley.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

IIRC there was a study that found female party/national leaders came from the conservative end of things more often. Not because of "more prison guards" discourse but because of the way cutting against the liberal/feminine stereotypes ends up being an asset.

Haley's stuff with the confederate flag probably and her personal background is likely an auto-DQ for the white nationalists there anyway.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
DeSantis is way better at doing it than Voldemort, which is why he's far more popular than he ever was. DeRacist is actually the perfect politician to try to carry a Tucker Carlson like image in a national election.
He's already said too much to be cast as a racist and his close association to Trump is going to brand him. Which is something we should discuss in a few months. If Trump loses big does his closest supporters get branded as MAGA and ran out of public life. What if he is prosecuted?

Voldemort's greatest gift is his ability to keep himself away from public displays of fuckery. Stone cold bastard on policy, but he takes care of his people publicly and can soulless smile on cue. He reminds me of a NFL team owner......

Last edited:

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
This might be dumb. I get Hawley's appeal. But why is DeSantis so popular in Florida despite being a racist POS.

I think it'll be Hawley.

Once again we're talking about Florida, motherfucking Florida. That place is a shit hole and we mock it all the time. Hell being from Florida is the main reason I don't think Voldemort wins the election. That place isn't like the rest of the country and the political calculations/moves aren't the same as elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.