• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
There would be hell to pay if these checks don't come out now after the President said they would two days in a row on TV. Jesus.
I mean, even if Republicans pass the plan above, a sizable chunk of people wouldn't be getting a check at all. Another chunk would receive less than the full amount because the payments decrease from $75K to $95K, which a decent chunk of people make in higher CoL states.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Good. Let them give $1200. People will be furious when it does nothing and they still have no job.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is quickly becoming the exact scenario where you pick Warren as VP because you're cleaning up after Hoover 2.0.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
This is quickly becoming the exact scenario where you pick Warren as VP because you're cleaning up after Hoover 2.0.
In 1932, we had a Republican president, Democratic House, and Republican Senate. At the GOP National Convention that year, they tried to blame the irresponsible policies of the Democratic House for exacerbating the Depression. It went swimmingly for them.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
What I've seen is it's basically only if you're allergic to quinine, and even in that case something like (but probably not exactly after the cancer stuff) ranitidine can be prescribed with it. Potential eyesight side effects take a long time to materialize in most people. I'm not an expert on any of this, though, just 2nd hand experience.

One issue is anti-malarial meds' effects on kidneys. It's not insanely hard on them by any means, but it does affect them. And that could mean a lot of the most vulnerable populations not being able to use it. Again, if it's a treatment option, it's better than nothing, but still.

In the early going here I'm finding the comfort of home makes it easier to concentrate on my work.

*smash cut to a month from now when I'm in cheeto-stained tighty-whiteys, browsing Era from my work computer while reclining in a barcalounger*

john-mahoney-frasier-tv-show-photo-gc2.jpg

Let me say this with as much love as a shady old queen like me can give:

Some of y'all, for your own well being, need to get some weed or some wine or a good movie or whatever it is that helps you relax a little bit.

Your average Joe Blow on the street has no fucking clue what is going on. They don't spend all day on Twitter, they don't spend all day watching MSNBC, and they sure as fuck don't have any clue as to what Trump is actually doing. Your average voter probably knows a handful of things:
1) Trump shut down the schools because he cares about the children getting sick (which is a state thing not a Trump thing BUT THEY'RE DUMB!)
2) Trump is going to give me $1000 check for reasons.
3) They have press conferences about this everyday, so clearly they're doing something.

Your average voter approves of things until it negatively impacts them or someone they love. We see this time and time and time and time again. Most voters don't just blindly hate everything Trump does because it's Trump. Approval/Disapproval of specific policy issues comes from willful ignorance and ingroup blindness. Take me, for example. Most of the people I associate with are upper middle class white folks. What do they think of this? "Oh what a pain the kids are out of school. Mommy needs wine time to get through the day! : insert canned laugh track here " Until such time as Trump's inaction directly hurts someone, they're probably not going to give two shits because empathy is fucking hard for a lot of people.

When Johnny's little friend's grandma is sick with the covid virus they'll start to care. When Aunt Beth has to go to the ICU because she couldn't get a test, they'll start to care. Until they actually feel some kind of way from this, they simply will give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's doing a good enough job.

This is just the way it is. It's the way it's always been. It's the way it's always going to be.

Remember, it's okay to tune out from the national story for a while. Stick to your local stuff so you know what you need to do, but it's okay to stop for a bit.

Just gonna wave my arms around and shout, "All of this. This, all of it!"

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
What are the deficits going to be in Trump's final (?) year? They were already at $1,020 BN thanks to his mismanagement. Now we're looking at another $1TN on top of that? Let's not give even more handouts to the rich.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
correct, so watching the positive test numbers is not a healthy habit. You won't know the results of the policies put in place because there is no baseline to compare against. You have places rationing tests and running out of them just yesterday. You can't make any comparison or draw any conclusion besides "people are infected"
Yep, which again shows what a clusterfuck Trump has made of this. Because he didn't want to do any testing early, we're now in a situation where we are watching the economy die day by day, and there is no metric to know whether it's even working.

May 26, 2018
Good. Let them give $1200. People will be furious when it does nothing and they still have no job.

Then Trump says "I wanted more, a lot more, thousands and thousands of dollars for everyone, maybe even tens of thousands, every month so the People could survive brilliantly, recover like no other country in history. But Nancy Pelosi and the Do-Nothing Democrats said no. They said no to me, and they were very unfair to America alongside the Chinese-led Media."

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Then Trump says "I wanted more, a lot more, thousands and thousands of dollars for everyone, maybe even tens of thousands, every month so the People could survive brilliantly, recover like no other country in history. But Nancy Pelosi and the Do-Nothing Democrats said no. They said no to me, and they were very unfair to America alongside the Chinese-led Media."

And history shows America will respond, "LOL no."

May 26, 2018
Yeah I've gotta agree with this. Not just as a Warren supporter but practically now is the time for big ideas and plans.

A part of his administration will be about "toughness" and "strength" when it comes to projecting force. Harris would fit. Duckworth might fit. Shit, even Gabbard would fit, though she's certainly a bazillion miles away with everything else. Warren would not fit the criteria as she's more a secondary cabinet pick. A "brainy, squinty" type, right? So I expect Warren is pretty far down the list. Not off, but not near the top.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017

Lindsey was told to fuck off. lol

I don't understand that though. Paying 75% of income upto 75k means? Giving everyone 75% of 75k income? Or giving 75% of income from some random data set and stopping at 75k, anyone with an income higher gets 0? Or the latter with the former for people above 75k?

He's basically fucking the most impacted people by limiting to such a low number since people in urban centers will have higher incomes and bills... but its great for WV i guess. Screws people who hate him and helps people who vote for him.

This will work great guys, OUTFLANKED

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
It would be whatever 75% of your income is for 6-8 weeks unless you make 75k or more in a year.

Oct 25, 2017
What I love most about Lindsey Graham's plan there in that tweet is that it doesn't help all the suburban voters with mortgages who left the GOP and voted for the Democratic Party in 2018.

I thought these guys (and they are pretty much all dudes) just didn't have an idea about how to attract black voters, but no, actually, they have no idea how to attract anyone outside of their horrid, racist, sexist, terrible base.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
Just got an email from my bank (Chime).. Savings account interest rate change from 1.1 to .25%..

Thanks Fed rate cut.....

ARGH

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how Italy is taking this politically. Are any of the fascist party taking up the Chinese virus mantle that Trump is using? Or is the tourist money from China that lucrative for them to take any serious traction there?

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
$1200 income is right out of the Trump playbook. Grab the headlines, deal with the details later. Sadly it works.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
$1200 income is right out of the Trump playbook. Grab the headlines, deal with the details later. Sadly it works.

If there was widespread, systemic testing now to slow down infection rates it would be less expensive in the long run, but the logic right now is "sounds good, run it."

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Most places that have postal banking, like Japan, seem to try their hardest to unwind it every time it comes up.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lindsey was told to fuck off. lol

I don't understand that though. Paying 75% of income upto 75k means? Giving everyone 75% of 75k income? Or giving 75% of income from some random data set and stopping at 75k, anyone with an income higher gets 0? Or the latter with the former for people above 75k?

He's basically fucking the most impacted people by limiting to such a low number since people in urban centers will have higher incomes and bills... but its great for WV i guess. Screws people who hate him and helps people who vote for him.

This will work great guys, OUTFLANKED

he most likely means put everyone who can't work on one of the existing insurance programs that pay 2/3 income (who said he is good at math?) with a cap

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good idea, but Warren was not the first to propose postal banking. It's a fairly old idea.

Of course, that's why I was careful to say "pushed" instead of "proposed by" but I'm really just saying I think she is far ahead of her colleagues and should be our leading voice on this economic recovery front

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, that's why I was careful to say "pushed" instead of "proposed by" but I'm really just saying I think she is far ahead of her colleagues and should be our leading voice on this economic recovery front
2018 Dem nominee front runner Kirsten Gillibrand actually has a bill out. but I agree that Warren should be doing all messaging and bill making for our economic recovery next year.

Oct 27, 2017
Listening in to Himes' town hall, a doctor in the district is making masks out of paper towels and cellophane. Also, the Governor of CT may announce a business aid package on Monday. Himes says he hasn't seen an abandonment of House partisanship to this level in a long time, but had nothing new or notable to say on any phase 3 bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.