• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not familiar with the players here. Who is Michael Tracey and what did he do?
Tracey is a faux-leftist social conservative who was part of TYT until he started saying the quiet part loud far too often (they had to cut him while they kept Jimmy Dore around), and he's been stanning Tulsi forever. He also pretended to be assaulted by Maxine Waters a few years back.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The pharma companies would probably appreciate this paid advertising by Trump more if he could actually pronounce the drug names properly.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Tracey is a faux-leftist social conservative who was part of TYT until he started saying the quiet part loud far too often (they had to cut him while they kept Jimmy Dore around), and he's been stanning Tulsi forever. He also pretended to be assaulted by Maxine Waters a few years back.

Got it, thanks!

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I really think Trump has some sort of cognitive thing going on. He's rambling about medications that have been around for >60yrs as treatments for the virus. Now he's saying we'll have new medications immediately.

This is not helping.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
If his precious stock market wasn't in the toilet right now Trump would be loving this. He essentially gets a free propaganda press conference that's nationally televised on every news network every damn day. He just gets to stand up there and pat himself on the back for an hour everyday while lying through his teeth.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Chuck Schumer is a fucking moron. He's the best we could do post-Harry Reid?

(That's a rhetorical question; the answer is that we obviously could have done better.)
His vote and lobbying efforts against the Iran nuclear deal back in the Obama years should have automatically disqualified him from any leadership position. He's been a fucking dipshit for a long time. I'd take Harry Reid back in an instant.

Oct 25, 2017
You should not be a Minority Leader letting the Republican President OUTFLANK you to the left on universal checks.

"Unemployment insurance" call lines are a shit show rn and you just want us to increase funding for only that?

Oct 25, 2017
Chuck is lucky Trump is being his normal self today.

But that shit is stupid. How do you think it helps you to criticize something most Americans want and need. If anything he should be complaining about the low amount and offering more.

Yoma

Oct 25, 2017
Chuck really gonna give me anxiety with all this outflank fuckery. What the hell is he fucking thinking? Just support the damn check hand outs already.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
You really see how terrible Trump is as a leader once Pence starts speaking, because Pence is just your boilerplate conservative politician. And Trump cannot even come close to that.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Every question should be the same: WHERE ARE THE TESTS?

You promised millions. They aren't there.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Give everyone 2k checks and bump up assistance/relief programs for everyone and everything. Except cruises. Bye cruises.

Oct 25, 2017
Jamelle Bouie of the NYT, always on point

VfWJti9.gif

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Checks are good short-term, UI is going to need to be the primary vector long term though and is going to need a massive cash infusion- https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/19/coronavirus-drives-up-unemployment-claims-137067

Earlier this month DOL advised states that workers affected by the coronavirus are eligible for unemployment insurance benefits.

The agency said that states would be permitted to pay benefits to individuals quarantined with the expectation of returning to work, and to those who leave employment to avoid exposure to coronavirus or to care for a sick family member.

But it's not clear how well, even with the additional $2 billion in federal assistance, the state unemployment system will cushion the blow. Some state unemployment insurance programs have since the last economic downturn in 2007-reduced the number of weeks workers can receive benefits. In addition, 22 states and jurisdictions, including California, New York, Illinois and Texas, are also facing dangerously low reserves.

"Today's numbers reveal that while Congress considers new strategies to help the unemployed, Americans are turning to a jobless safety net that is unable to meet their needs," said Andrew Stettner, senior fellow at The Century Foundation said in an emailed statement.

Policymakers should lift the current 26-week cap on jobless benefits, he said, and "states should be required to roll back cuts that have lingered since the end of the last recession."

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Schumer is where he is because of how many seats we won in 2006 when he was NDSC chairman. He still recruits well, and is a decent but not exceptional strategist.

Dems would do well to reform leadership better in the Senate. The House benefits greatly from the Speaker campaigning.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Three days with a fever of 101 and a cough, my doctors said that I was granted priority for testing due to having type 1 diabetes... that was 48 hours ago. Still haven't heard anything about scheduling testing. Pretty pathetic.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

Asked why he isn't pulling the trigger re using Defense Production Act, Trump says: "Governors are supposed to be doing a lot of this work...the federal government's not supposed to be out there buying vast amounts of item and then shipping. You know, we're not a shipping clerk."
Trump said "items," not "item." Asked why he's not using the Defense Production Act yet, Trump said, "The federal government's not supposed to be out there buying vast amounts of items and then shipping. You know, we're not a shipping clerk."

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
"The media is very fair on this" - Trump, 3 days ago

Trump asked why the US wasn't prepared with more testing if, as he claimed, he knew long ago it would be a pandemic: "We were very prepared. The only thing we weren't prepared for was -- the media. The media has not treated it fairly." He's just saying nonsense.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
I'm cross posting this from one of the covid threads because I thought I'd probably get a better response here. I apologize ahead of time for not doing more researching before asking but here's what I've been thinking about recently, and wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on it.

I keep thinking about the large government strategies/stimulus/mobilization/propaganda campaigns from the past that I know very little to nothing about.

Like the new deal... got us out of the great depression right? Is that the one where they sold a bunch of land for hella cheap?

Or like all the war time populace mobilization stuff that went on during the world wars. Like propping up the steel industry, getting women and younger people working, war time propaganda stuff....

I'm sorry that this is so uninformed, I've been meaning to do more research but am currently kind of in a malaise about everything.

Anyway my question is three fold. Did those programs receive bipartisan acceptance back then? Do you think our government today even capable of putting together programs like those? Would programs like that today receive bipartisan acceptance from the population?

I feel like the internet and 24 hr cable news (looking at you fox... and even to a much lesser extent MSNBC, don't @ me) have broken our ability to come together as a country. Post 9-11 everybody realizes we've been played but nobody agrees on who's been pulling the strings.

Status
Not open for further replies.