• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Reporter finally asking about rich people getting tests, and Trump can't even pick his excuse. Either the system he got was obsolete OR it was never designed for this. He keeps saying it as an OR, like all he knows is it wasn't his fault and he doesn't know much else.

Which... is probably true.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

Rather like saying "Why do you keep calling Xi Jinping 'Chinaman' instead of his name?" "He comes from China, I just want to be accurate".

The virus has a name, COVID-19, literally just coronavirus disease 2019. I bet, no I guarantee Trump will claim the Spanish flu was from Spain and that's why it's called the Spanish flu if pressed on this.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Daniel Dale on Twitter

“Asked about asymptomatic NBA players getting tested and whether the wealthy and well-connected are going to the front of the line where others can't, Trump says you'd have to ask them, "but perhaps that's been the story of life."”

Oct 27, 2017
Well, everyone in the press and admin wanted to use war as a metaphor in handling coronavirus and comparable national sacrifices, so he's grabbing that "wartime" moniker.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What does that even mean? Is this some new dog whistle that I'm not aware of?
It means if you see this fucker, you better run.

0ac43b4e1928d16d59ec98e2d586a35a.jpg

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well, everyone in the press and admin wanted to use war as a metaphor in handling coronavirus and comparable national sacrifices, so he's grabbing that "wartime" moniker.

This is one of those problems with Trump. He hears big, good words from his advisers and starts using them willy-nilly to make himself feel big. But they often just cause trouble rather than help because he doesn't understand what he's actually saying or claiming.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Trust me. Interested is not the term I would use either.

Some payouts aren't going to change opinions. Republicans can't even put together a cohesive message on this. And they want April 6th but maybe late April or maybe no at all because idiots like Cotton want to take it slow.

April 6th is already way too fucking late. That's 3! weeks of inaction.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

Tbh the checks are a massive deal all across apolitical social media (FB/Twitter/IG). Who knows what they'll look like but they'll definitely shift numbers in the short term.

Here's a sampling of what I've seen on black twitter:

$1000 in two payments months apart will do fuck all when you're out of a job with no social safety net.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Some payouts aren't going to change opinions. Republicans can't even put together a cohesive message on this. And they want April 6th but maybe late April or maybe no at all because idiots like Cotton want to take it slow.

April 6th is already way too fucking late. That's 3! weeks of inaction.
Not to mention that people are really impatient. They heard about checks over the last few days. They won't want to wait at least three weeks for them, on top of everything else you mentioned.

And I feel like I need to use the clap emoji to say, "Deep. recession. on. election. day."

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It cant be bad enough that it stifles the election but it has to be bad enough that it wrecks the economy to ensure Trumps defeat. Always a fucking needle to be threaded.

Oct 25, 2017
$1000 in two payments months apart will do fuck all when you're out of a job with no social safety net.
Americans don't expect anything from their governments. Especially not Republican governments. That's why this checks story is so huge and why everyone's trying to make this false connection to Yang's failed candidacy.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Lol people aren't going to change their votes based on these checks. The amount is nowhere near enough to survive being laid off.

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
I think the US needs a far more comprehensive response.

Cheques worked well in keeping Australia from falling into a recession during the GFC, but I'm skeptical that they will work in a recession caused by a global pandemic. There's no doubt cash in the pockets of consumers can be a good way to jump start economic activity, however, it looks like this health crisis could last months, and people are desperate to minimise contact with others in any way possible.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Americans don't expect anything from their governments. Especially not Republican governments. That's why this checks story is so huge and why everyone's trying to make this false connection to Yang's failed candidacy.
You're spending too much time with the Twitter OPTICS crowd if you truly think the material discomfort caused by a recession with 20% unemployment can be mitigated by a (probably inadequate) stimulus check or two.

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The WWII wartime economy is probably the closest analog most Americans are going to be able to understand when it comes to explaining this in real-world terms.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I think the US needs a far more comprehensive response.

Cheques worked well in keeping Australia from falling into a recession during the GFC, but I'm skeptical that they will work in a recession caused by a global pandemic. There's no doubt cash in the pockets of consumers can be a good way to jump start economic activity, however, it looks like this health crisis could last months, and people are desperate to minimise contact with others in any way possible.

I hope I'm wrong though.
Right. People will sock the money away or use it to pay bills, which... won't really stimulate the economy, especially when everything's closed!

I feel like this is really just the same people who always fret on Twitter going, "Well, free money means he's won; put it in the bag" without any context or deeper analysis.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rather like saying "Why do you keep calling Xi Jinping 'Chinaman' instead of his name?" "He comes from China, I just want to be accurate".

The virus has a name, COVID-19, literally just coronavirus disease 2019. I bet, no I guarantee Trump will claim the Spanish flu was from Spain and that's why it's called the Spanish flu if pressed on this.

100% and I also will bet that nobody counters him with the truth when he does

Oct 25, 2017
You're spending too much time with the Twitter OPTICS crowd if you truly think the material discomfort caused by a recession with 20% unemployment can be mitigated by a (probably inadequate) stimulus check or two.
I'm still confident he'll lose. But numbers will likely change in the short term. We already know favorability ratings typically go up around tax refund time. Not sure why this wouldn't be the case during a no strings attached check.

It feels like people want everyone to either be catastrophizing about the election saying DEMS WILL LOSE! or be confident that we'll win and no in between. The response to these checks is largely positive and I don't see why that cant be discussed in earnest. My posts have been nothing like the posters who come in here saying Dems are Doomed everyday.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Because then rich people aren't getting as much, and people who have to feed multiple children can actually do so.
It being a unforgivable thing that rich people can receive welfare like a UBI or free college for their kids has always been such a weird take to me and yet a huge portion of the Dem party keeps bringing it up. If you tax rich people more, than they'll have already paid for those benefits. No reason to make this more complicated than it needs to be.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't understand unironic takes about how "Trump checks" is resonating on social media. Who cares? How many times do we have to tell ourselves twitter is a bubble, not real life before we actually internalize what that means? Random social media anecdotes are not scientific surveys. Wait for an actual poll to come out and say X% of voters are more likely/less likely to back Trump for re-election because of one-off checks. What people are saying in your twitter feed does not matter.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
If there is actually 20% unemployment then we are in a depression and will need a New Deal-style response.

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
It is important that rich people also receive certain benefits because then those programs STOP being welfare programs. It's one of the reasons why mean-testing Social Security is such a bad idea. The minute Social Security becomes something that only certain people get, the minute it gets constantly defunded.

Status
Not open for further replies.