• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
What do you guys think of the seemingly daily rumblings of "Biden doesn't want to go hard with investigations of Trump" and Joe himself kinda saying he'll be hands off with anything like that?

Smart play so he doesn't look obsessed or vengeful? Or would you rather he was more aggressive and assertive like lots of Dem voters wanted?
I'm not bothered by it personally, if Trump really is boned its cause of the state level investigations and the NY AG; if he gets away, no amount of federal investigations would have changed that.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
What do you guys think of the seemingly daily rumblings of "Biden doesn't want to go hard with investigations of Trump" and Joe himself kinda saying he'll be hands off with anything like that?

Smart play so he doesn't look obsessed or vengeful? Or would you rather he was more aggressive and assertive like lots of Dem voters wanted?

With the latter, I think that was expected to be the previous state of affairs, (prior to trump and with a notable exception of Nixon)at the very least in the rhetorical sense. So I think Biden is doing the right thing in being hands off in his response, and this is a question, primarily for the DoJ as headed under Biden's attorney general.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018

The President shouldn't be dictating any investigations. If sufficient suspicion and evidence is present then those parties (DOJ, states, maaaybe congress) should follow those and see what comes of them. Those parties should be independent to the whims of a President, I know the last 4 years has thrown off the norms but that's the normal process.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
What's the accurate takeaway from the down ballot losses? I keep jumping between the following three - the first two are scary in terms of future prospects (arguably they're the same but the second is moreso focused on an inability to connect to voters with a message), the last one is at least possible to rectify with a different candidate. But the third one could be rendered invalid if losses are due to high Trump turnout in swing districts.

1. Biden was able to claw away enough independents/lean Republicans that otherwise voted R down ballot but just have had it with Trump
2. Biden was shielded from successful attempts at portraying down ballot Democrats as radical leftists simply because he's old Grandpa Joe
3. Biden was unable to mobilize the young and more progressive voters to come out in force, which resulted in down ballot losses

I think it was a combination of all three? It seems like Biden did a poor job turning out democratic leaning voters, but he was able to appeal to enough moderates to do decently well in the PV. And Biden was successful at distancing himself from the national dem party in the suburbs, but not in the rural and more isolated areas.

The democratic brand just seems really weak in general right now. I think they did even worse in the state legislatures than they did in the House, but I'll need to see all of the data before I can say that for sure

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

I want Biden to have a huge symbolic event where he takes down the extra and unnecessary security walls outside the White House that Trump put up to keep tourists away.

Like, the exact moment Biden is inaugurated, I want him to point to a construction crew offscreen that just rolls in and immediately starts swinging wrecking balls around to bring the extra walls down like the Berlin Wall.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I want Biden to have a huge symbolic event where he takes down the extra and unnecessary security walls outside the White House that Trump put up to keep tourists away.

Like, the exact moment Biden is inaugurated, I want him to point to a construction crew offscreen that just rolls in and immediately starts swinging wrecking balls around to bring the extra walls down like the Berlin Wall.

Tear down this wall?

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

He better. Those fences are ugly as fuck.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Biden signaling that he's going to go ham on Federal investigations would only make Barr go scorched earth harder in the next two months, especially with pardons. For the sake of justice it's better not to rock the boat with these people yet.

Let's see how Emily Murphy and McGahn and DeJoy feel about a congressional subpoena when the DoJ doesn't have their backs.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Biden signaling that he's going to go ham on Federal investigations would only make Barr go scorched earth harder in the next two months, especially with pardons. For the sake of justice it's better not to rock the boat with these people yet.

Let's see how Emily Murphy and McGahn and DeJoy feel about a congressional subpoena when the DoJ doesn't have their backs.
I don't understand folks that won't answers to questions that don't mean much now or worse kick over a hornet nests. Time is not on their side, no need to telegraph shit that only does the criminals favors

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Good ol local level dems doing their best.

Democratic officials in Hudson County, NJ, voted Tuesday night to continue to jail immigrants for the federal government, reversing a 2018 plan to phase out the contract with Immigration and Customs Enforcement and rejecting 10 hours of heated and universal opposition from residents. More than 150 people dialed into a marathon virtual meeting to speak out against renewing the contract. Nobody spoke in favor over the course of the long hearing, other than the county legislators, known as freeholders, who voted in favor, 6 to 3. They said the county depended on the revenue—$120 per day, per immigrant.

Through tears and with raised voices, residents spoke of their concerns about both the county jail where the detainees are held (in 2017 and 2018, six inmates died in a nine-month period) and about ICE in general (the caging of children at the border and reports of forced hysterectomies). Former detainees alleged sexual abuse at the Kearny facility. Residents also noted that Hudson County skews heavily Democratic, and is exceptionally diverse—43 % are foreign born.

Nothing like treating your fellow man like a walking bag of money.

Last edited:

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017

Oh they will all suddenly find their "fortitude" and "patriotism" and "respect for the institution of Congress" blah blah blah come Jan 21st.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Brendan Nyhan @BrendanNyhan

The circular voter fraud grift:

-GOP elites: The election was stolen!
-GOP identifiers: The election was stolen
-GOP elites: We must address these concerns that the election was stolen

Jon Ward @jonward11

"When @JohnJamesMI says he's troubled that half of Michigan's voters feel they were cheated, he would do well to remember that he was the one telling them they got cheated in the first place."

11:59 AM · Nov 25, 2020
12:21 PM · Nov 25, 2020

Oct 22, 2020
What's the accurate takeaway from the down ballot losses? I keep jumping between the following three - the first two are scary in terms of future prospects (arguably they're the same but the second is moreso focused on an inability to connect to voters with a message), the last one is at least possible to rectify with a different candidate. But the third one could be rendered invalid if losses are due to high Trump turnout in swing districts.

1. Biden was able to claw away enough independents/lean Republicans that otherwise voted R down ballot but just have had it with Trump
2. Biden was shielded from successful attempts at portraying down ballot Democrats as radical leftists simply because he's old Grandpa Joe
3. Biden was unable to mobilize the young and more progressive voters to come out in force, which resulted in down ballot losses
R-leaning, Trump-hating moderates were able to express their disapproval of Trump by voting for Biden at the top of the ticket, clearing their consciences to vote for Rs down the rest of the ballot. This is an option they didn't have in 2018; to vote against Trump, they had to vote against the Republican House candidate and/or other downballot Rs.

That's the most plausible explanation I've seen.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

Biden is the president, not the Attorney General. He's said over and over he won't be leaning on the DOJ one way or another, as a president shouldn't.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I think Biden's smart enough to let the states take on the trump investigations, and he won't interfere either way.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The President shouldn't be dictating any investigations. If sufficient suspicion and evidence is present then those parties (DOJ, states, maaaybe congress) should follow those and see what comes of them. Those parties should be independent to the whims of a President, I know the last 4 years has thrown off the norms but that's the normal process.
Needing to investigate the preceding President and his administration for a litany of crimes is lightyears beyond the ordinary course of business. It's inherently political, even though it shouldn't be, and blurs all lines of "decorum", "norms", etc.

As much as there will be public statements of a purely independent Justice Department, the next Attorney General isn't going to investigate Trump and Friends without having permission to do so from the White House.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I want an AG that will go after Trump. Biden shouldn't push for that, and an AG candidate that seems to be open to it won't pass the Senate confirmation (assuming we lose GA). At the very least, Biden needs to give some cover for the AG to do it, which it seems like he's doing so far. He's not closing the door to it. He'd be a fool to do so. Never mind the way Trump went after his family, he will not be quiet like former Presidents. To give him a free pass for Federal crimes will send a terrible message, and only serves to undermine Biden.

Where this gets interesting is when Clown self-pardons, which I believe is very likely. That needs to be tested in the courts. Otherwise, it becomes de facto precedent for a future equally corrupt but even worse Republican President.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Why would trump pardon him? He failed his job, as much as he rails on mail votes, you know he knows who is in charge of them
Because he gave him money. It's how he got the job in the first place.

Also, Trump promised pardons to people before. I'm almost positive it happened here, too.

I want an AG that will go after Trump. Biden shouldn't push for that, and an AG candidate that seems to be open to it won't pass the Senate confirmation (assuming we lose GA). At the very least, Biden needs to give some cover for the AG to do it, which it seems like he's doing so far. He's not closing the door to it. He'd be a fool to do so. Never mind the way Trump went after his family, he will not be quiet like former Presidents. To give him a free pass for Federal crimes will send a terrible message, and only serves to undermine Biden.

Where this gets interesting is when Clown self-pardons, which I believe is very likely. That needs to be tested in the courts. Otherwise, it becomes de facto precedent for a future equally corrupt but even worse Republican President.

I think it is probably smarter to sit back and let the NY AG go after him.

If the NYT report was correct, his taxes are loaded with separate counts of fraud, all of which have a penalty of a couple of years in prison. The grand jury has his taxes and he fought to keep them private, so my guess is the NYT report is accurate.

I also worry about the political blowback of going after him. People will accuse Biden of being scared of facing him in 2024, and that could motivate even more voters to come out for Trump.

Last edited:

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
A big part of it is also just the electorate. Stacey Abrams' strategy wouldn't be as successful in Louisiana or Mississippi or Oklahoma because their populations are much more inelastic. Georgia has a comparatively much more diverse electorate than other southern states, and it's only getting more so. It's not just that Biden won GA on the strength of black voters and suburban white voters, but also growing shares of Latino and Asian voters too. I think this is why North Carolina has been stuck in the mud for years while Georgia has moved leftward -- their electorate is just more static.

Texas and Arizona is another good comparison. Both have moved left, but Arizona's Latino electorate was more favorable to Biden than Texas'. That's not necessarily due to a lack of field work (though that's certainly part of it), or a lack of a central Abrams figure, since surely Beto was filling that role in Texas this year. It's just that Latino voters in AZ swung toward Biden more (or more accurate to say they swung less against Biden than elsewhere) whereas that was not the case with Latino voters in TX.

Education is also a factor. GA sticks out pretty clearly in the South
Screenshot-20201105-215106-Discord.jpg

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Was this posted?

news.bloomberglaw.com

Pennsylvania Slams Judge’s ‘Overreach’ in Certification Ruling

Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf and other state officials assailed a Pittsburgh judge for issuing what they described as an unprecedented order halting additional steps in the certification of President-elect Joe Biden’s election victory.
The ruling on Wednesday by Commonwealth Court Judge Patricia McCullough in Pittsburgh halts the process "to the extent that there remains any further action to perfect the certification of the results of the 2020 General Election." Secretary of the Commonwealth Kathy Boockvar certified President-elect Joe Biden's 80,555-vote Pennsylvania victory yesterday, and Governor Tom Wolf appointed electors for the state.

So what does it stop?

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
www.post-gazette.com

Pa. Commonwealth Court orders halt to certification process in down ballot races; state appeals decision

Pennsylvania is prohibited from certifying the rest of its election results in down ballot races — and from taking any further action in regards...

Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro wrote on Twitter, "This order does not impact yesterday's appointment of electors. We will be filing an appeal with the Pennsylvania Supreme Court momentarily."

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

The Manhattan district attorney notified the chief judge that it wishes to appeal the ruling dismissing state charges against Paul Manafort. The letter comes as Trump considers pardoning some allies of federal charges.

"How are you gonna tell us we can't seek justice for a man who injured the state when the president just gave him a hall pass?"

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Was this posted?

news.bloomberglaw.com

Pennsylvania Slams Judge’s ‘Overreach’ in Certification Ruling

Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf and other state officials assailed a Pittsburgh judge for issuing what they described as an unprecedented order halting additional steps in the certification of President-elect Joe Biden’s election victory.
Arguing that your own legislative action is unconstitutional and that the unconstitutionality of that action should result in millions of voters being disenfranchised is an interesting argument to make. And by interesting I mean idiotic.

Even if the GOP won the ruling the end result would be that future elections wouldn't be able to use the expanded rules. No court, not even courts run by crazy Trump judges, are going to rule in a way that punishes voters who believed that they were following the established election laws at the time.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Arguing that your own legislative action is unconstitutional and that the unconstitutionality of that action should result in millions of voters being disenfranchised is an interesting argument to make. And by interesting I mean idiotic.

Even if the GOP won the ruling the end result would be that future elections wouldn't be able to use the expanded rules. No court, not even courts run by crazy Trump judges, are going to rule in a way that punishes voters who believed that they were following the established election laws at the time.
The PA house and senate already said knock it off, and there was a time limit to sue that expired in Feb. I don't see how this doesn't get thrown out, but 2020

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Know how the injunction is a nothing burger?

This is what trump tweeting about

Status
Not open for further replies.