• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroRed

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe Collins kept her seat. Fuck
How was there no repudiation for her shitty stances and concern?

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I agree with this completely. I'm quite not over the disappointment yet; I was hoping for a complete and utter (400+ EV / 53+ Senators) repudiation of Trump and Trumpism because that's what America needed and deserved. So yeah, not getting that sucks. But taking a step back, adjusting expectations: this is a win. Something from which we can build. IF, as you say, it holds.

I said it before, if this holds, this is the end of the second movie of a trilogy, not the third finale we were hoping for.

Live to fight on.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Sxj3ic9.png

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
im disappointed about the Senate, too but I'm kind of boggled that 2018 was a "blue wave" despite losing Senate seats and today is supposed to be some bittersweet victory, assuming Biden holds on. If the results hold, it's worth celebrating.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
*IF* this holds, and we miss out on the Senate for now, but win the executive branch and hold the House, I'm going to focus on the positives. Yeah, it'll be far short of what we *hoped* and its going to feel like we have a fuck load of work to do just so that we can try and... well... start the fuck load of work we have to do to fix things.

But either way we were going to be facing a fuck load of work.

BUT. BUT. We will have overcome the most openly corrupt bunch of liars and cheats, despite all their efforts to interfere and suppress. We will have defeated Trump. Comfortably in the national vote, even if it ends up being hilariously close in the electoral college.

I know I felt way fucking better in 2012 through 2016 than I have the last four or so years.

It won't need sugar coating. It'll be a fucking *win*. In ever real sense of the word. Short of what we hoped. But enough. Even if barely so.
If it was a landslide we'd be freaking out about complacency going forward. This guarantees the Dems don't fuck around with 2022. Not ideal but let's find silver linings where we can.

Isro

Oct 30, 2017
Damn, man, You are a downer.

... But you're probably not wrong.

I almost want to say people don't deserve healthcare if they decided to vote against their interest - but it will hurt voters who actually want to have healthcare and voted accordingly.

Still, fuck those assholes voting against their own interest.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking unbelievable man. The margins in these senate races are awful.

We're gonna find out how Trump's presence dragged them through in 2022.

Maybe the theory that he brings out rural voters who otherwise wouldn't participate in down-ballot races is accurate. Apparently was in 2018.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter if anyone in the GOP Senate would vote with Democrats, because those votes will never happen. A GOP-controlled Senate means nothing happens without McConnell's express permission. Need to hope for Maine and potential runoffs in Georgia to come through still.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But he ended being right?
No, he wasn't right.

His state-by-state aggregations and projections for margins are wildly off, even if Biden wins the state.

Ohio, 538 model, vote tallies - 49.2 v. 48.2
Ohio, reality - 53.3 v. 45.2 (still counting votes)

His projection of odds was 55/45 Trump wins Ohio, for example. So he can take the approach that says "see? my odds said Trump wins, he won." But the assumption flaw is that the odds were correct. The data suggests that the odds were never as close as 55/45.

He's going to double down again, like he did after 2016, and not learn a damn thing.
It doesn't matter if anyone in the GOP Senate would vote with Democrats, because those votes will never happen. A GOP-controlled Senate means nothing happens without McConnell's express permission. Need to hope for Maine and potential runoffs in Georgia to come through still.
You'd think that basic game theory for power in a Dem House, 49-51 Rep Senate, Dem Presidency would have one Rep Senator break ranks and personally install Schumer as Majority Leader, or install themselves as Majority Leader with Dem support, and basically play the role of kingmaker. In the process, becoming the de facto most powerful person in the Senate.

But that doesn't happen.

thethickofit

Feb 1, 2018
Really getting worried about the PV/EV split long term. Biden will probably win PV by 4-5 while squeaking by in the tipping point state. This can't really hold.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
No, he wasn't right.

His state-by-state aggregations and projections for margins are wildly off, even if Biden wins the state.

Ohio, 538 model - 49.2 v. 48.2

His projection of odds was 55/45 Trump wins Ohio, for example. So he can take the approach that says "see? my odds said Trump wins, he won." But the assumption flaw is that the odds were correct. The data suggests that the odds were never as close as 55/45.

He's going to double down again, like he did after 2016, and not learn a damn thing.
The polls were wrong, it's difficult to blame the aggregators for it. But then again, Silver gets way too much credit for when his model is right too.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No, he wasn't right.

Ohio, 538 model - 49.2 v. 48.2

You'd think that basic game theory for power in a Dem House, 49-51 Rep Senate, Dem Presidency would have one Rep Senator break ranks and personally install Schumer as Majority Leader, or install themselves as Majority Leader with Dem support, and basically play the role of kingmaker.

But that doesn't happen.

Yeah it's fucking infuriating.

I was listening to Philip Bump the other day on POTUS and he was getting testy with callers suggesting that they were vastly off in 2016 and could be off again.

He was arguing that they fixed the polling errors by changing how voters are weighted. Well... About that.

But yes, Nate will certainly say that his map was close. I still gave Trump a 10% and he lost! I was correct!

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
Once things settle down
I guess I can revel a little in knowing trump helped gop win but lost himself
Knowing what kind of person he is

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
In hindsight I suppose it was a tad ignorant to think that all of our electoral problems would be fixed and wrapped up with a nice, tidy ribbon in a single election.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
Feeling so much better today. It's wild how wrong we were, but I'm so happy that there's a ton of room between 413 and 270. I want so badly to live in a world without the electoral college. I don't understand why more Americans aren't outraged about it. It's so blatantly undemocratic.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Polarization of the country is really bad. Like really bad. We need the final results to start seeing what happened between turnouts between parties but I think polarization is forcing us to rely on turnout vs convincing. That bodes ill on change.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone needs to keep this in mind. This is good.

There is still a fuck ton more work to do.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I don't feel absolutely nauseous anymore. Last night was like a punch to the gut with each new swing state until AZ results got dropped in.

Oct 25, 2017

This sticks out because I ended up watching election night with some extremely conservative relatives (including some NewsMax, the low-budget alternative for people who legitimately believe Fox News has gone too liberal), and the Fox anchor kept repeatedly explaining the Red Mirage/vote count order issues in MI/WA/PA. Like to the point of "Jesus why do they keep bringing this up we get it."

I now see it was for Trump, and he still does not get it

Isro

Oct 30, 2017
Polarization of the country is really bad. Like really bad. We need the final results to start seeing what happened between turnouts between parties but I think polarization is forcing us to rely on turnout vs convincing. That bodes ill on change.

Looking forward to [OT] on ERA "IS ANOTHER US CIVIL WAR INEVITABLE"

Status
Not open for further replies.