• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty fantastic and well argued counter to the "Bernie needs impossible youth turnout to win" that relies on what we already know about self reporting accuracy but it's probably too late for him anyways so great!

www.peoplespolicyproject.org

Study Showing Bernie Needs Huge Youth Turnout Is Nonsense

The paper's core claim is based on a simple math error.

The bottom-line finding of the authors' study is that when their survey of 40,000 eligible voters is weighted to simulate 2016 turnout patterns — presumably the most neutral way of forecasting turnout — Bernie Sanders leads Donald Trump by 0.8% percentage points while Joe Biden leads by 0.2%. Sanders is at least as electable as Joe Biden.
Electability!

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about that NYT article other than the obvious "Sister City Program was a Russian Propaganda Program Aimed At Useful Idiots" because duh, is that the quotes from the time period just feel like they're straight out of the Watchmen comic re: nukes.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Oct 27, 2017
Warren going in on online Sanders supporters exposing personal addresses and info of women, with threats, including women in the working families party. Says candidates are responsible for people who claim to be supporters but do this, and is a particular sanders problem.

I can predict people now just skipping to the "fuck off" when referring to Warren.

Dec 31, 2017
Watching how he speaks with people about loss is amazing at times. Saw this clip (starting at 5:59) and was floored:

More of this Biden is going to be powerful.

This is the thing about Biden, he seems genuine. I also get that feeling from Bernie; he believes in what he's saying. Both of them are the most "genuine" sounding candidates, and I think that's really the reason they are the ones who are left. Warren also has this quality, but sexism and bad campaign management more or less sunk her.

The rest of the recent field (mostly Pete, also Klob) just seemed like opportunist, pandering politicians.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Rachel: Have you ever talked to Senator Sanders about the behavior of his supporters?
Warren: I have.
Rachel: And how was that conversation?
Warren: Short.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
Warren going in on online Sanders supporters exposing personal addresses and info of women, with threats, including women in the working families party. Says candidates are responsible for people who claim to be supporters but do this, and is a particular sanders problem.

I can predict people now just skipping to the "fuck off" when referring to Warren.

She's articulating it realy well too, giving real life examples.

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This is not the way votes or voting works. A vote for Biden and all those things you mentioned are NOT mutually exclusive things. Nor are people who cast a vote for Biden wanting the status quo back, or no improvements to healthcare, or no justice, or...even the woman who was in the Washington Post article tweeted she would vote Biden if he were to be the eventual nominee. We have everything from threads on Era to tweets out there, like the one from this woman, where people respond to them giving them flack for voting - when they all want to vote out Trump. Is there only one acceptable progressive voice, ever?
Of course not.

Yes, there are clearly people who believe Biden is a strong progressive. It means different things to different people.

That woman is voting for Biden in the general to beat Trump. It is more important to her than many issues apparently.

And you're right, they aren't mutually exclusive.

I just realized that people may read my comments as blaming people for Biden being our nominee or something like it.

I too am motivated to stop Trump. They voted for the person they think is best positioned to do that as did I.

All I'm saying is that, in terms of weight, the Trump issue is the largest for most voters.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

some people??? harass and doxx women who aren't sufficiently deferential to their preferred candidate??? to cope??? with the cost of insulin???

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Warren is literally on Maddow right now trying to tell Bernie how to fix the problem with his supporters online.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

where did she say this?

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
For anyone not watching, Warren's solution is that Bernie should hire social media people to basically read comments on campaign Tweets and stuff, and then denounce the bad actors. It's literally the smartest possible solution, but it would require a modicum of self reflection from Bernie.
So, that's out then.

where did she say this?
Doing an interview with Maddow.

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone not watching, Warren's solution is that Bernie should hire social media people to basically read comments on campaign Tweets and stuff, and then denounce the bad actors. It's literally the smartest possible solution, but it would require a modicum of self reflection from Bernie.
So, that's out then.
Has she discussed Biden yet

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

This was trending on my playlist. Worth a watch.

(This was done 4 years ago BTW)

Dec 31, 2017
Warren makes good points about online toxicity but here is what is wrong with her campaign; it lived and died on Twitter. The vast majority of Bernie's supporters are not assholes, they are just normal people. Beyond denouncing the assholes on the national stage multiple times and firing problematic staffers, there is nothing much that I expect to be done about it. Twitter is a shitshow, as is most of the internet. Hiring moderators from your campaign seems to be a waste of time and resources; twitter is not real life.

This type of rhetoric hits close to me because it eerily reminds me of stereotypes against arabs/muslims, and how a minority of bad actors represents the entire group. Of course, it's not that severe, but the rhetoric is very similar to when people say Muslims should denounce terrorism over and over again, when the vast majority of them are just normal people. In this thread we are lumping everyone who acts like a shithead on twitter as "Bernie supporters" or "Bernie bros" when that's simply not true.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Warren makes good points about online toxicity but here is what is wrong with her campaign; it lived and died on Twitter. The vast majority of Bernie's supporters are not assholes, they are just normal people. Beyond denouncing the assholes on the national stage multiple times and firing problematic staffers, there is nothing much that I expect to be done about it. Twitter is a shitshow, as is most of the internet. Hiring moderators from your campaign seems to be a waste of time and resources; twitter is not real life.

This type of rhetoric hits close to me because it eerily reminds me of stereotypes against arabs/muslims, and how a minority of bad actors represents the entire group. Of course, it's not that severe, but the rhetoric is very similar to when people say Muslims should denounce terrorism over and over again, when the vast majority of them are just normal people. In this thread we are lumping everyone who acts like a shithead on twitter as "Bernie supporters" or "Bernie bros" when that's simply not true.
The toxic behavior comes straight from his campaign though, from staffers, and even himself.

So it's not the same.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017

Except her whole point was about how yes, there is something you should do about it beyond denouncing the assholes.

Dec 31, 2017
Pretty fantastic and well argued counter to the "Bernie needs impossible youth turnout to win" that relies on what we already know about self reporting accuracy but it's probably too late for him anyways so great!

www.peoplespolicyproject.org

Study Showing Bernie Needs Huge Youth Turnout Is Nonsense

The paper's core claim is based on a simple math error.

Electability!

I have always suspected this but had no data to back it up. Both are similarly electable. Biden is simply better at politics and endorsements, which is admittedly a really important quality.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

southpaw@nycsouthpaw

One of the asymmetries I think exists in American politics is that Republicans are just better at repeating a thing until people figure it must be something. https://twitter.com/amy_siskind/status/1235743555261472770 …

9:24 PM - Mar 5, 2020

Can confirm. I remember a workplace colleague of my wife's saying that "There must be something up with Hillary, because they keep on mentioning shit with her". He was a massively sexist arse, though.

Yep. She said she thinks he is a decent human being. She worked with him during the CFPB thing, and while they may approach issues from a different direction, she has no doubt he cares about people and problems, etc.

Chances of Warren endorsement of Biden increasing.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
This Warren interview is so much better than Bernie's yesterday, it's not even funny. It has a whole different feel, so much warmer and easier to listen to.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I can't fathom running for president and caring about mean Bernie people online. It just blows my mind, genuinely. Warren's going to endorse whoever's likely to win, because that's who she is, but she's hedging right now with mean twitter people to make it seem plausible.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for Forma. She is a smart lady. Not right for a political campaign for president, but I like her.

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017
I can't fathom running for president and caring about mean Bernie people online. It just blows my mind, genuinely. Warren's going to endorse whoever's likely to win, because that's who she is, but she's hedging right now with mean twitter people to make it seem plausible.

Because, just throwing it out there, Warren might well care about the people who are the targets of the bad actors and suffer because of them.

Chances of Warren endorsement of Biden increasing.

It's basically what Bernie said about Biden too.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017

Actual real people came to her about how they were harrassed. It blows my mind that people think this is meaningless and confined to extremely online trolls.

Dec 31, 2017
The toxic behavior comes straight from his campaign though, from staffers, and even himself.

So it's not the same.

He's said numerous times he denounces these types of supporters, disowns them, and doesn't want them. While giving examples of toxicity that his campaign receives as well. His response to that is enough for me, because quite frankly the internet is toxic and will remain so.

And you can say "it's not the same" but I am giving you my lived experience with it, and it feels very similar, and my visceral response to it is similar. I of course acknowledge anti-brown person propaganda is more far reaching and damaging in scope, because again, I've lived it.

Except her whole point was about how yes, there is something you should do about it beyond denouncing the assholes.

Hiring twitter moderators is not a solution to internet toxicity. Quite frankly, twitter political toxicity is not a major day to day issue for anyone I know who is politically engaged, regardless of their standing or candidate support.

I have a feeling many of you guys are a bit tunnel visioned on online political discourse and exaggerating its importance. This is normal, since many of us spend lots of time on the internet discussing politics. But I've said time and again, twitter beef does not translate to real life in any meaningful way, unless one lives their entire life online.

Nevertheless toxicity should always be denounced; online harassment is real and can be damaging. In my view Bernie has done enough to placate and denounce shite actions by bad actors.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
Reducing harassment and threats of violence to "mean people online" is a choice.

Bernie has been asked about the toxic behavior of his followers in every debate and every national interview he's taken part in. It's absolutely played a part in shaping public perception of his supporters and, by association, of him. He's already seen as somewhat divisive and this definitely does not help. I can't fathom believing this is just an issue for Twitter people.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Warren waits for the results Tuesday night before making a decision. If Biden wins decisively in a few days, she hops on the bandwagon. Otherwise she continues to hold out or just endorse Bernie if he does well enough on Tuesday.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
He's said numerous times he denounces these types of supporters, disowns them, and doesn't want them. While giving examples of toxicity that his campaign receives as well. His response to that is enough for me, because quite frankly the internet is toxic and will remain so.

And you can say "it's not the same" but I am giving you my lived experience with it, and it feels very similar, and my visceral response to it is similar. I of course acknowledge anti-brown person propaganda is more far reaching and damaging in scope, because again, I've lived it.
The actions of his staffers don't bother you then? Or Bernie's dismissive attitude?

Status
Not open for further replies.